AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-04-02, 06:05   Link #141
Ashaman

There was one scene showing a pic of his father and what I first though was him. Then I noticed the long hair and realised its probably his mother.

Seriously, he is idenical to his mother in looks. all he needs is to grow his hair a little.
Ashaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-02, 06:16   Link #142
Ghostfriendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizuno View Post
Maybe she's a girl raised like a boy. There's hope.
With self-confidence and gender identity too low to date a cute cheerleader when she asks him out, and reliance on a strong protective male in Heroman, Joey has a lot of masculinisation to do. It says something that I originally thought the other person in the photo of his dad was Joey with long hair, because they were so short.

Girls asking boys out in 80s America probably only happens in it's Japanese interpretation; the cliches had a slightly original flavour throughout this episode, so I can't say its all bad. Non-verbal Heroman interaction was very good (words aren't even needed for the old power-responsibility shtick), but Joey had better get in some realistic self-reflection before the end.

Edit: Good grief, I though the comment about the photo was a bit random, but Ashaman posted the same thing before i'd finished writing it!
Ghostfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-02, 07:49   Link #143
NinjaYali
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tworble View Post
I was just on /a/...no you are not. There are at least 8 threads lusting over him in a fanboyish manner. I think he is made girly on purpose; check out how he is dressed- even his figure is girlish.

I really enjoyed this episode: it reminded me of when I used to watch superhero cartoons on Saturday mornings...I look forward to more
Shame, I just put up this new sig.
NinjaYali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-02, 08:25   Link #144
Kankel
Akuma HighClass Commander

Heroman is my new Hero, man!!
Old 2010-04-02, 08:28   Link #145
Kankel
Akuma HighClass Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashaman View Post
There was one scene showing a pic of his father and what I first though was him. Then I noticed the long hair and realised its probably his mother.

Seriously, he is idenical to his mother in looks. all he needs is to grow his hair a little.
The girl in the photo looks too young to be his mother.More likely is his sister.
Old 2010-04-02, 08:55   Link #146
Nosauz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Understandable, really. One of my favorite anime is Red Garden, and I can tell you firsthand that the portrayal of New York and the setting is nothing close to real life. Sure there's obviously some research done and *some* things fit, but you can easily tell the creators never actually lived there.

Despite that I found myself ignoring the setting and focusing on the characters and the story. It's not something I feel will be a strong point for Heroman personally, which is why I'm more looking forward to it being a nice hark back to the "innocent" days of anime featuring giant robots kicking monster butt. ^^
See that's the thing, I feel like in Heroman, the weakest part are the characters so far, as they are just typical Stan Lee archetypes with a few minor quirks and they speak japanese instead of english. If the characters could get past the horrible psuedo americanisms.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-02, 09:27   Link #147
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

This show and its characters are charmingly cliche for me, to be honest. It's an interesting experience.

Looks like those roads Heroman plowed through aren't going to be able to be used anymore though.

The "To be continued" at the end was the most laughable thing ever.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-02, 09:40   Link #148
Iron Maw
~Undying Loyality~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Did you miss me calling him adorable?
Your comment was a bit ambiguous though, it's not like little boys can't be adorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post

Spoiler for it's starting...NSFW Joey:
Oh god... but seriously in Hideyoshi's case he was at least intentional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
See that's the thing, I feel like in Heroman, the weakest part are the characters so far, as they are just typical Stan Lee archetypes with a few minor quirks and they speak japanese instead of english. If the characters could get past the horrible psuedo americanisms.
Eh, for me it's really not just that , but there's a lot Japanese/anime cliches there as well. The first ep just comes off as a little TOO conventional with lackluster writing to boot. I suppose that BONES/Stan Lee intent was to go with something very familiar, but I think it could have been handled a little better. I mean even TTGL which this show somewhat similar to threw wench's here and there to keep things interesting.

Heroman has charm sure and there some decent characters like Psy and Linda, but if next episodes are like the first this just end up as really pretty show and nothing else.
Iron Maw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-02, 10:18   Link #149
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
Your comment was a bit ambiguous though, it's not like little boys can't be adorable.

Oh god... but seriously in Hideyoshi's case he was at least intentional.
See Natsume Youjinchuu for confirmation of your first statement.

I think the fuss over Joey is a bit comical. Personality-wise I think he's more or less typical of the classic trope in series like this, but its the page-boy haircut that has everyone going all Hideyoshi. Actually, if this is a period piece (or at least striving for retro), long hair was pretty common for teenage boys in the US in the 80's - I suppose they might have been going for that.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-02, 11:34   Link #150
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I think the fuss over Joey is a bit comical. Personality-wise I think he's more or less typical of the classic trope in series like this, but its the page-boy haircut that has everyone going all Hideyoshi. Actually, if this is a period piece (or at least striving for retro), long hair was pretty common for teenage boys in the US in the 80's - I suppose they might have been going for that.
It's not just his hair. There's his voice, his clothes, his attitude. Some of those parts come across as very girly, where the others are just adorable. <3
Old 2010-04-02, 12:05   Link #151
Sai Feng
Yo-poko! O_O

Ha! I thought Joey was a girl when I first saw him, turns out he's boy. Got to admit though he seems very cute. 2010...a good year for androgynous and/or crossdressing anime cuties.

Trap + Ponytail + Mini-skirt + Stockings = Deadly Combo
Sai Feng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-02, 12:18   Link #152
Nosauz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
It's not just his hair. There's his voice, his clothes, his attitude. Some of those parts come across as very girly, where the others are just adorable. <3
It really does feel like a yuri love fest when you point that out, or if flash thompson and joey get together then joey would probably be the uke.
Old 2010-04-02, 12:42   Link #153
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
Well the PS ppl certainly didn't take too long

Spoiler for size:

Spoiler for For your own sake, don't look down:

Spoiler for size:

Last edited by Hypernova; 2010-04-02 at 13:03.
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-02, 13:01   Link #154
einhorn303

Spoiler for ep 1:
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-02, 13:45   Link #155
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
Yea, I get that I'm reading way too much into how the characters are portrayed, but it just screams either tacky or lazy. I mean when your characters are defined by the clothing or accessories that they have that aren't critical to the story then it just feels very off putting. I guess trying to be American is just constantly shatters my suspension of disbelief.
Maybe it has something to do with the intended target audience. I noticed that the official website is a Disney website. Maybe this is meant for preteens to watch.

I'm getting a Saturday morning US cartoon vibe from it.

I liked the first ep.
Old 2010-04-02, 14:01   Link #156
Nosauz

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Maybe it has something to do with the intended target audience. I noticed that the official website is a Disney website. Maybe this is meant for preteens to watch.

I'm getting a Saturday morning US cartoon vibe from it.

I liked the first ep.
yea that's the vibe i get from this show too, it's kinda sad though since Bones hasn't really done any kiddy shows, I think the only show that could be considered Saturday morning would be Eureka Seven, in it's artsytle but that's about it.
Old 2010-04-02, 16:07   Link #157
Dop
We can't stop here...

That was very... generic. Generic title, generic character name, generic everything... Generic gender, going by the fan art some people have posted!

Unintentionally funny in places, I thought.

Line in the next ep. trailer: "The responsibility of one who gains power".
Would that be GREAT power? Would that be GREAT responsibility? Tell us Stan the man!

Saturday morning, yeah. With a dub this would go down great guns on Cartoon Network or some similar channel.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-02, 21:40   Link #158
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

This seem it would work more in the US then in japan
Old 2010-04-02, 22:48   Link #159
NinjaYali
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kankel View Post
Heroman is my new Hero, man!!
And if you make fun of this show or troll it (according to /a/) you are a...

Liberal douchebag
Commie (odd, like this show even though I could be consider one)
Towelhead
European

So in short, making fun of Heroman is anti-American.
NinjaYali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-03, 05:44   Link #160
klare

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
The "To be continued" at the end was the most laughable thing ever.
i think it fits in properly

i suspect the silly and retro feel for the show is purposely to make fun of Stan Lee sensei's own Marvel creations

it is still a nicely animated show, tho i am not sure how many eps it can keep me watching, maybe my expectations a bit too high
klare is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bones, mecha