AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2008-03-31, 03:31   Link #1
melfra

Problems with MKV / mp4 conversion

So I recently picked up a PSP and have been spending the last night trying to get mkvs to work on the darned thing. I've tried a variety of methods: Initially I used PSPVC, which resulted in a file that played perfectly on the psp, but the subtitles didn't show up, which was obviously (at least, now it's obvious) because I needed to hardsub them into the file.

So I followed this guide here (because I couldn't wrap my brain around the original, sadly =X), and extracted the subs and used PSP Video 9 with the AVS file. After finishing that bit, I cued up the mp4 file for testing on my computer, but the video seemed to be going a bit too slow while the audio and subtitles remain in tune with each other. I've tried adjusting the framerate to compensate for this, but I haven't managed to get it quite right- it almost seems like a lag issue. Furthermore, after transferring the file to my PSP, I received a data type not supported error, so the file will not play.

I suppose what I'm trying to ask is, does anyone know of a good way to do the conversion, or what I'm doing wrong here? I know the root of the problem lies with getting the subtitles to work properly, and I haven't run into any problems with getting the actual video/audio combination to convert. It's probably really obvious now that I'm terrible with video, because I'm sure this is a horribly easy problem to solve. Anyway, thanks to anyone who took the time to read through this, and even more thanks to anyone who can help!
melfra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-31, 07:07   Link #2
Danj
Tech Bloke

Send a message via ICQ to Danj Send a message via AIM to Danj Send a message via MSN to Danj Send a message via Yahoo to Danj
When converting mkvs with soft subtitles, I have had the best luck with Xvid4PSP version 4 (current version is version 5 but it has been super dumbed down and I do not like it at all). You can find it at PSPUpdates. It requires .NET framework version 3.0 and also if you are on Vista you need to turn UAC off.
Old 2008-03-31, 11:18   Link #3
IHaveCrayons

I would use virtualdubmod with avery lee's subtitle filter to put the subtitles in, that's how I do it anyways.
IHaveCrayons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-31, 11:31   Link #4
Danj
Tech Bloke

Send a message via ICQ to Danj Send a message via AIM to Danj Send a message via MSN to Danj Send a message via Yahoo to Danj
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveCrayons View Post
I would use virtualdubmod with avery lee's subtitle filter to put the subtitles in, that's how I do it anyways.
Right, but then you would have to encode it twice, once to burn the subtitles in and a second time to downconvert to PSP resolution and format. In general that's a Bad Thing(tm).
Old 2008-03-31, 11:50   Link #5
IHaveCrayons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danj View Post
Right, but then you would have to encode it twice, once to burn the subtitles in and a second time to downconvert to PSP resolution and format. In general that's a Bad Thing(tm).
What do you mean? You could do it at the same time.
IHaveCrayons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-31, 13:37   Link #6
melfra

Quote:
When converting mkvs with soft subtitles, I have had the best luck with Xvid4PSP version 4 (current version is version 5 but it has been super dumbed down and I do not like it at all). You can find it at PSPUpdates. It requires .NET framework version 3.0 and also if you are on Vista you need to turn UAC off.
Thank you for the replies! I tried using your method, but it didn't convert the specific file I selected (gave an unspecified error), so I tried it again with a different MKV which went through the converter just fine. When I went to transfer it to the PSP I was again faced with the same error that I mentioned previously. Tried converting the file which resulted from Xvid4PSP through both PSP Video 9 and PSPVC, neither of which worked on the system. Baah.

For the record, the first file I'm attempting to convert is Hauu's Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai ep 02, and the second (test) file is Sudo's Darker than Black 07. I'm also running on PSP Firmware 3.72. Not sure if any of that info makes a difference (only one I can think of is the firmware), but I can upload my mp4s to see if anyone wants to take a look on their own setups.

ed: /facepalm turns out I was putting them in the wrong folder all along. Recent firmware supports a folder simply named VIDEO and normal filenames instead of that jumbled mess it supported previously. Both are working just fine!

Last edited by melfra; 2008-03-31 at 17:15.
melfra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-01, 10:22   Link #7
Danj
Tech Bloke

Quote:
Originally Posted by melfra View Post
For the record, the first file I'm attempting to convert is Hauu's Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai ep 02, and the second (test) file is Sudo's Darker than Black 07.
Oh, ermm, yeah, I remember having some problems with those particular files too. Can't remember what I did to sort the problem out though. But you say you got them working OK?
Old 2008-04-01, 12:30   Link #8
Davrius

Quote:
I know I have the framework installed, but it's not letting me open mkvs. I have cccp installed but it says I'm missing some splitter or something.
Davrius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-01, 15:51   Link #9
Danj
Tech Bloke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davrius View Post
I know I have the framework installed, but it's not letting me open mkvs. I have cccp installed but it says I'm missing some splitter or something.
Are you on Vista? If so, I would recommend uninstalling CCCP, then turning off UAC and installing the VistaCodecs pack. It is specifically designed for operation with Windows Vista, I have tried it on my laptop and it works very well (it also enables Media Center compatibility if you have Home Premium or better). You can turn UAC back on again after installing if you wish.
Old 2008-04-01, 15:56   Link #10
Davrius

Nay sir, I'm using xp. I'll have to try toying with it more when I get back from class.
Old 2008-04-02, 17:25   Link #11
CrimsonWater
Animeholic/Techie

ok this hopefully will work... (btw are you on custom firmware?) extract the subtitles and in xvid2psp 5 (idk about 4)open the file to be converted and in the subtitles tab (where else?) add the subs file. choose "psp mp4 avc" or if you have custom firmware choose pmp format and use PmPlayer advance to play them. also uninstall cccp and any other codecs and install K-Lite Mega Codec Pack

Hope this helps. ^^
Old 2008-04-02, 17:27   Link #12
Davrius

Ah K-lite, that explains a lot. I'm on sony's firmware atm. Mebbe I'll use my laptop for converting and keep my desktop for watching.

Thanks Crimson
Old 2008-04-02, 17:32   Link #13
CrimsonWater
Animeholic/Techie

np. btw the benifits to custom firmware are great with pmplayver you can set your mhz to 66-100 and save a huge amount of battery..ie 6-12 hrs. if you need any help with going to custom just give me a pm. happy watching.