AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Visual Novels, Mobage & Anime Spin-Off Games

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-02-14, 02:40   Link #1481
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 25
Yeah I think you guys are underestimating how many episodes they'd need for each heroine route. They have a lot more real, actual content than the ones in Little Busters or even Clannad, and so would be far more difficult to cut down...
That, and while I think that telling five stories that are essentially different perspectives on the same events is acceptable in a visual novel, it would get really, really boring in an anime.
The world can only end so many times before that loses its impact, you know?
Also, let me explain my rationale on Moon a little better.
Spoiler for Moon/Terra:
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-14, 03:38   Link #1482
Kirayuki
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
As long as they don't butcher Lucia's route, I'm all happy

On a serious note, the anime will probably need as many episodes as Clannad did. How the rest being handled is up to creativity of staff/writing team. Using Omnibus format seems to be preferred by a lot of people here.
Kirayuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-14, 04:04   Link #1483
galdr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
If the anime does omnibus format, the story quality probably won't be much different from the visual novel.

The problem with anime original path is well...it might contradict the VN and potentially be total screw up if the director is incompetent. >_>

At the very least, I hope they put tons of budget if they ever made Rewrite anime. (unlike the LB! anime )
galdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-14, 06:05   Link #1484
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: By the vending machine, drinking tea.
Not anime related, just a side question: I heard Terra has a bittersweet ending...is this true? If so is it mild or ridiculous (and annoying) like the Shizuru ending?
Considering I usually don't like bittersweet endings I'd hate to end the VN on a sour note.

(still halfway through the Akane Route)
__________________

Spoiler for Top 10 Harem Protagonists:
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-14, 06:29   Link #1485
Kirayuki
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post
Not anime related, just a side question: I heard Terra has a bittersweet ending...is this true? If so is it mild or ridiculous (and annoying) like the Shizuru ending?
Considering I usually don't like bittersweet endings I'd hate to end the VN on a sour note.

(still halfway through the Akane Route)
I would say the ending is nothing like Shizuru at least, if anything it's filled with Hope. Though mileage regarding the whole route itself seems to vary a lot.
Kirayuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-14, 10:56   Link #1486
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 25
Guys, the problem with omnibus format is that you're resetting the entire story every ~4/5 episodes. While, again, this is no problem in a VN, in an anime you expect some kind of narrative continuity.
Notice that the first season of the Clannad anime only adapted the routes where Nagisa heavily featured, for precisely that reason.
Omnibus format works for Amagami and Yosuga no Sora because they're more about character drama/interactions/sex than a VN like Rewrite, where the main focus in almost every route is the narrative.
Quote:
Originally Posted by galdr View Post
The problem with anime original path is well...it might contradict the VN and potentially be total screw up if the director is incompetent. >_>
If the director is incompetent it'll be awful no matter what... and the director doesn't always make those kind of decisions anyway.
If they get the VN's writing team to assist the series comp & scriptwriter, there should be no real problem with an original path outside of the usual 'why are they doing something that isn't animating the route of my favorite heroine' garbage.
Rewrite isn't solely about the heroines anyway. An animation studio approaching it from the perspective of other galge adaptations would make for a terrible anime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post
Not anime related, just a side question: I heard Terra has a bittersweet ending...is this true?
No, not really.
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-14, 11:02   Link #1487
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv150
*Graphic Designer
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Belgium, Brussels
Age: 28
Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
The problem is that it would mean you just need to bring the common route, with Moon and Terra, which wouldn't make any sense, narration speaking either.
The omnibus system is the most likely, although you need much more tweaks than before (in fact, having a Higurashi-like approach, with "reset" with fairly different events might do the tricks).

As I say, if the series "warns" the audience very early of such format (as I suggested, Kagari looking at the world and having "life tree branch" switching to a heroine route), the inherent issue of the omnibus format will be lightened.

But a continuous storytelling will require a nearly complete anime original structure for anything pre-moon, even with common routes events. Because really, they will have to deal with the inoue incident at some point, which will be impossible to track everyone with a single storytelling.
__________________
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-14, 11:59   Link #1488
Dirty_Harry
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
The issue as I said before, is how to handle the different storylines involving Kotarou joining Guardian or Gaia, and how he behaved differently in every route.

Unlike Clannad and Little Busters, the routes have almost no connection point, out the common route.
Dirty_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-14, 12:40   Link #1489
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
The problem is that it would mean you just need to bring the common route, with Moon and Terra, which wouldn't make any sense, narration speaking either.
The only problem you really run into is trying to connect a unified route to Moon... but that isn't really a problem in my opinion because there's supposed to be a narrative disconnect there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
As I say, if the series "warns" the audience very early of such format (as I suggested, Kagari looking at the world and having "life tree branch" switching to a heroine route), the inherent issue of the omnibus format will be lightened.
I really don't think any production would want to 'give that away', so to speak, so early.
They didn't do the omnibus format with LB, even when it would have made perfect sense for them to do so. That kind of says a lot.
Here I think it's unwarranted, as
Spoiler for Little Busters/Clannad/Rewrite:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
But a continuous storytelling will require a nearly complete anime original structure for anything pre-moon, even with common routes events. Because really, they will have to deal with the inoue incident at some point, which will be impossible to track everyone with a single storytelling.
Well, the other thing about an anime is that you're not necessarily stuck into a single character's perspective, right? You can show events and situations that Kotarou is completely unaware of.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty_Harry View Post
Unlike Clannad and Little Busters, the routes have almost no connection point, out the common route.
And, contrariwise, despite the lack of connection points, all the routes cover the same basic conflict involving Gaia and Guardian fighting over the Key and the threat of the world ending because of that.
You can't do that five times and not expect to lose your audience's attention, especially since half the routes don't really offer anything to the main story as a whole.
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-14, 13:25   Link #1490
Dirty_Harry
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
And, contrariwise, despite the lack of connection points, all the routes cover the same basic conflict involving Gaia and Guardian fighting over the Key and the threat of the world ending because of that.
And how they will unify the story and the character development for each heroine? Unlike Little Busters and Clannad, after the common route each heroine is in a group that is the enemy of another heroine group.

And unlike Clannad and Little Busters, there is no main heroine (like Rin and Nagisa) in Rewrite, where you can follow that personal story. And there's the fact that the Kotarou behavior on the routes remains a problem.
Dirty_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-14, 13:31   Link #1491
Dirty_Harry
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
The problem is that Rewrite was created as the VN format in mind, not anime. To transpose into anime several changes in the narrative has to be made, and has a great chance of not being consistent. And I don't know what the benefit of it.
Dirty_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-14, 13:32   Link #1492
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv150
*Graphic Designer
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Belgium, Brussels
Age: 28
Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
I agree with Dirty Harry: perspective change will not change the fact there are way too many route exclusive content that cannot occur at all if the characters involvement and events aren't there to begin with.
So you better make a compromise and use the VN structure but with an appropriate change for the anime (a bit like how Higurashi did), or you just don't adapt it.
A continuous storytelling is not going to work there.

And the LB anime adaptation shouldn't even be mentioned, considering the baffling amount of bad decisions they have made so far.
__________________
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-14, 13:35   Link #1493
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty_Harry View Post
And how they will unify the story and the character development for each heroine?
I don't have to answer "how" and nor should I because I'm not a series comp.
My point is that it CAN (and should) be done. Unlike LB, Rewrite's setting allows for basically infinite possibilities; not taking advantage of this in order to construct a more coherent story for animation would be criminal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty_Harry View Post
And unlike Clannad and Little Busters, there is no main heroine (like Rin and Nagisa) in Rewrite, where you can follow that personal story.
I would argue that Kotarou plays that role here.
Spoiler for Little Busters:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
So you better make a compromise and use the VN structure but with an appropriate change for the anime (a bit like how Higurashi did), or you just don't adapt it.
A continuous storytelling is not going to work there.
You're really limiting yourself, you know? Visual novels are not anime and trying to force that structure on an anime is... bad.
Furthermore, Rewrite's storytelling, as a whole, is fairly incoherent at times because of that format.
Spoiler for Rewrite:

This is the other big problem with adapting the heroine routes as-is. You waste so much time on irrelevance for the purposes of making all the fans happy, which is... well, that's what the LB anime is doing, really.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty_Harry View Post
And I don't know what the benefit of it.
Creating something better than the original.
__________________

Last edited by Kaisos Erranon; 2013-02-14 at 13:48.
Kaisos Erranon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-14, 13:49   Link #1494
Dirty_Harry
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
I don't have to answer "how" and nor should I because I'm not a series comp.
My point is that it CAN (and should) be done. Unlike LB, Rewrite's setting allows for basically infinite possibilities; not taking advantage of this in order to construct a more coherent story for animation would be criminal.
I doubt that. It assumes that all kinds of stories made ​​with exclusive routes can be done in a single story. That may be true for many stories, but I don't see how can be done in Rewrite. That would eliminate the stories of many heroines.

Can you tell why believe it is possible?
Dirty_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-14, 13:51   Link #1495
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty_Harry View Post
That would eliminate the stories of many heroines.
I'm advocating for (essentially) eliminating the stories of all the heroines.
I feel a lot of people who want VNs to be adapted just want the VN animated 100% accurately rather than something that would actually work in a different medium... like I've said, that's possible for things like Amagami that don't have much of anything resembling a plot, but it will not work here.
Either you do something creative and structurally sound, you do something lazy and structurally a mess, or you don't do it at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty_Harry View Post
Can you tell why believe it is possible?
Why wouldn't it be? It merely requires dedication and effort.
Obviously this would be impossible if Warner gets the production again, but with staff and a studio that actually care...
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-14, 13:55   Link #1496
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv150
*Graphic Designer
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Belgium, Brussels
Age: 28
Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
And that's actually why I don't like your reasoning, because it would basically be "Moon & Terra, the anime". Really, whereas the narrative and actual plot of M&T being the crux of the VN, it wouldn't give the actual commitment without having the heroines' story as its fundation, however "irrelevant" they become at the end of Terra.

In fact, considering what happen there, by the same logic, you should outright eliminate the common route since -it doesn't add anything to the scope of the "true" story-.

I personally found the heroines routes as a good basis for the actual world setting as well as insight of actual characters in there. It isn't like sub heroines in other stories were "absolutely needed" (such like any character not named Nagisa and Ushio in Clannad), but still contribute to the plot.
__________________
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-14, 14:00   Link #1497
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
it wouldn't give the actual commitment without having the heroines' story as its foundation,
Which is why you have a unified route that gives them screentime and development without adapting their stories directly.
It's not impossible, it would just require competent series composition and not the typical cut + paste you see in a lot of adaptations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
In fact, considering what happen there, by the same logic, you should outright eliminate the common route since -it doesn't add anything to the scope of the "true" story-.
It gets you to care about the characters, of course it should be kept.
Obviously it should be cut down a lot, since it's so ridiculously massive that you could spent 2 cours on it alone, but I'd never advocate for cutting it entirely.
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-14, 14:02   Link #1498
Dirty_Harry
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
I'm advocating for (essentially) eliminating the stories of all the heroines.
Then delete all of them from the story. For without them the story (and thus the background of organizations), Moon has no impact. And several interesting things regarding the differences in Kotarou behaviour would be completely lost. Without the routes, various theories and thoughts from Moon would lose meaning and impact.

Practically they would have to create a completely original route for the anime. And history says that this always resulted in failure.

Higurashi is proof that this omnibus format can work in more serious stories.
Dirty_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-14, 14:07   Link #1499
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty_Harry View Post
And several interesting things regarding the differences in Kotarou behaviour would be completely lost.
I am not sure most of those differences are intentional so much as the result of the writers having very different ideas of who Kotarou is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty_Harry View Post
Practically they would have to create a completely original route for the anime. And history says that this always resulted in failure.
Name me some examples. When has anyone ever done something like that with a game like this?
You're saying "no one's ever done it right before so there's no way it could ever be done properly". I disagree.
It's a better idea than spending what would probably end up being two entire cours on heroine routes for payoff that's entirely too late in coming.
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-14, 14:10   Link #1500
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv150
*Graphic Designer
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Belgium, Brussels
Age: 28
Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
How it is even possible to give the actual development of RW heroines without their routes?
Spoiler for Heavy spoilers, Prior Moon:


Really, having a single story is actually a glaring antithesis to what actually happens in Moon and Terra to begin with (even moreso Moon being completely devoid of actual relevancy without having multiple routes beforehand, due to how Kagari and Kotarou behave there).
I'm fine with anime original if it basically keep the spirit of the actual original material (a bit how Kotomi's route was done in Clannad, albeit it was a cake walk to do). But if the actual adaptation is actually running on antipodes, it just doesn't make sense.
__________________
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bishoujo, hinoue itaru, key, maeda jun, romeo tanaka, ryukishi07, visual novel

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:43.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.