AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Gundam

Notices

View Poll Results: Gundam 00 Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 127 31.91%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 151 37.94%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 65 16.33%
7 out of 10 : Good 32 8.04%
6 out of 10 : Average 7 1.76%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 7 1.76%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 3 0.75%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.25%
1 out of 10 : Painful 5 1.26%
Voters: 398. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2008-07-20, 22:23   Link #181
Blue-Phoenix
Wanna be fiddle star

Send a message via AIM to Blue-Phoenix
Oh man please. I begged and pleaded for Gundam to have a honorable death, but they keep dragging it through the mud. It is like what Achilles did to Hector...

Really this is more a Gundam sub-series. Even since Seed, Gundam has evolved into the current day trend-y anime. A lot of the orginal soul that made Gundam's different from plain ol' giant robots it simple missing. The animation may be better, but there is no soul or meaning it. Even G-Gundam, as terrible as it was, kept true to the soul of Gundam. 00 sold out and was made for money, not for a purpose or to connect with the audience.

As a Gundam series I give it a 1 out of 10. An overall anime a 7/10. It is just too much like the modern-day generic Giant Robot animes they have rolling out.
Old 2008-07-21, 02:18   Link #182
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue-Phoenix View Post
Oh man please. I begged and pleaded for Gundam to have a honorable death, but they keep dragging it through the mud. It is like what Achilles did to Hector...

Really this is more a Gundam sub-series. Even since Seed, Gundam has evolved into the current day trend-y anime. A lot of the orginal soul that made Gundam's different from plain ol' giant robots it simple missing. The animation may be better, but there is no soul or meaning it. Even G-Gundam, as terrible as it was, kept true to the soul of Gundam. 00 sold out and was made for money, not for a purpose or to connect with the audience.

As a Gundam series I give it a 1 out of 10. An overall anime a 7/10. It is just too much like the modern-day generic Giant Robot animes they have rolling out.
The whole point behind the Gundam franchise is that it's supposed to be versatile and open to re-interpretation of it's core concepts by whatever team is chosen to work on it. There is no one "Soul of Gundam". And G-Gundam is different and a lot of people will disagree and say that for what it is it's a great series. The fact that you're pulling out the old G Gundam sucks thing is a classic sign of the Gundam initiate who thinks that the only Gundam is the one they saw first. Please, don't start knocking things unless you have some actual reasons to prove that you thought it over.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-23, 19:31   Link #183
Zeta Gundam

Quote:

>_>

What defines the soul of Gundam, answer me that?

Is it similar to the soul of Macross, where every series, sans maybe a few, circulate around a bunch of pilots protecting a huge flying fortress, and a love triangle?

Some people may like that, but to me *YAWN*

Sans the big boobs, 00 was about the least trendy anime series I've seen in a while. Heck the entire main cast from Season 1 will be over or close to 20 years old in season 2, which is not a popular theme in Shounen when you are trying to get 12 and 13 year olds to relate to somebody that is close to their own age.
Zeta Gundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-23, 19:36   Link #184
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:

I hate to say this, but at age 18 I doubt you truly have the context to say this..Yeah I'm almost 10 years older than you and I've seen everything gundam and I have to tell you this show is more in-tune with the core of Gundam than any of the last 3 series...I thnk you've truly missed the boat on this...Who has more soul than Graham Aker? Who's relishes in cockroach battles more than Ali-Al (Not even Yarzan)? When since Tomino do important characters actually die or get scars when their robots explode? This is the first Gundam series to even try and set the world up while still keeping the theme of Earth, Space, Evolution, and the coldness of war...It's really a prequel if you look beyond the surface...No soul? No meaning? It's almost as if you watched Gundam series in decending order and you're defending it that way...Not saying your crazy or anything like that, it just seems to me that opinion of yours is a bit immature given the landscape of Gundam lore...Sure Gundam 00 uses some pop-anime techniques to pull in fringe viewers, but that's merely a facade man, your sure you're not watching Code Geass? That's sounds closer to your view...
Old 2008-07-24, 01:22   Link #185
anime ronin
death by animeoverdos X_X

gave it a 8 out of 10. it was good

PIRATES DOCKING 6!!! GIANT ROBOT SOLDIER!!! BIG EMPEROR!!!
anime ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-26, 17:42   Link #186
Cox
BEETLEJUICE!

Quote:

Seed was more like a "Gundam sub-series" clone of the original! I respect your opinion but it is just like you have not seen anything more then G-Gundam and Seed.

If anything I think Gundam OO brought Gundam back down to earth and made it real again. I hope the next season is just as good.
Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-03, 20:10   Link #187
Traece
:cool:

I have to come back and agree with Cox.

I thought Gundam 00 was actually a very great series. There's lots of thought and hard work that was put in to the show and I have to give them credit for coming out with a Gundam that was more than acceptable after Gundam Seed. Gundam Seed itself was an alright anime that was of an acceptable quality itself, even though it was severely lacking in some aspects.

Plus, this is the first Gundam series to be placed in our own timeline. They managed to create a very good fictional future for the world based on the events and expected outcomes of events that are occuring in this day and age. At the least, they deserve credit for keeping things realistic in comparison to what's happening right now.
Old 2008-08-07, 07:01   Link #188
Sir Dearka
Inglourious Buster

I'd say that Gundam 00 was everything SEED wasn't. For some it is a good thing, for others: bad. I'm in the first group as I am a fan of versatility. Though I am a huge SEED fan, I can see why people like 00. Though I, personally, like it just for fights, visuals and the character of Lockon Stratos. I'd give it a 7/10

Waiting for the second season, as I can't get rid of the feeling that the true time for evaluation will come after 50 ep.
Sir Dearka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-09, 05:14   Link #189
Black Eye

Perfect 10 although most of my fav. Characters died in the first season T_T , I can't wait to see what the 2nd season holds for us.
Black Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-11, 07:10   Link #190
MooMooFarm

Quote:

LOLOLOL

Quote:
The whole point behind the Gundam franchise is that it's supposed to be versatile and open to re-interpretation of it's core concepts by whatever team is chosen to work on it.
Not gonna quote the rest cause I'm already gonna overload on this, but you my friend are too straight for the kill and boring =]

Quote:
What defines the soul of Gundam, answer me that?

Is it similar to the soul of Macross, where every series, sans maybe a few, circulate around a bunch of pilots protecting a huge flying fortress, and a love triangle?

Some people may like that, but to me *YAWN*
^________^ this guy gots it, though you forgot the soul of having a MASKED RIVAL on a ALWAYS INFERIOR YET COOLER LOOKING SUIT.

Quote:
Sans the big boobs, 00 was about the least trendy anime series I've seen in a while.
WRONG THERE. Not ONE PERSON that has more than 10 minutes total of show time AKA NOT THE FUGLY DOCTOR was drawn in a way to be repulsive. Sorry buddy, BUT BEING REALISTIC MEANS SOME PPL GOTSTA BE UGLY. And the doctor wasn't really ugly, but just drawn so that you'd go o.O over his sexual orientation.
It just gets all hot and sexy when even what's his face's sister has nothing going for her (big boobs, revealing outfits) yet would be considered hotter than CE characters simply because of SUPERIOR DRAWING TECHNIQUES and a lack of FUGLY.

Not that I'm saying this is BAD, but have you guys even SEEN vagabond? Or Gantz? Or Berserk? THEY SHOW U NON TRENDY >.> Heck even Seirei no Moribito can give it's fair share of fuglies, and that's a family show!

Quote:
Who has more soul than Graham Aker? Who's relishes in cockroach battles more than Ali-Al (Not even Yarzan)?
Michael Jackson and George Bush. Ali was a given due to his overpowered VA, but I don't recall any other anime character in particular who Aker's VA had done. That guy was amazing.

Quote:
Sure Gundam 00 uses some pop-anime techniques to pull in fringe viewers, but that's merely a facade man, your sure you're not watching Code Geass? That's sounds closer to your view...
Ummm, too bad Code Geass R2 completely blows 00 s1 out of the water as unfair the comparison is. Regardless of what techniques are used, R2 is the rocket coaster that's highest in the play land, while 00 more or less is the generic water log ride that only soaks you once or twice. 00 S2 might have a chance at beating R2 though! After all, R2 might SUCK IT UP by wrapping things up too quickly.

R1 vs 00 S1, gotta say R1 still wins by a bit =/ only because of 00 being a prequel in s1 like you said. And as we all know, appetizers will never beat main dishes. R1 was a main dish by itself, 00 wasn't. Sadly T_T the appetizer almost tasted better.

Quote:
If anything I think Gundam OO brought Gundam back down to earth and made it real again.
Setsuna is about as alive as a doorknob. Did you even watch the parody trailer? They pretty much admitted the guy was ZzZzZ. I AM GUNDAMMMMMM TOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHH!

Quote:
Though I, personally, like it just for fights, visuals and the character of Lockon Stratos.
Check, check, and no. =[ Lockon was very cool in the first episode, then as his character started panning out, veterans should immediately recognize him as a Piccolo/Kakashi tool. Him dying had an impact, but it wasn't lasting.

In fact, the parody trailer really addressed some big issues for the first season. None of the main cast had a superstar attraction, which in SOME WAYS is good, cause you know, mainstream is all about the spotlight on the mains. But at the same time, they call them the main cast for a reason, and it kind of feels weird when they aren't all that interesting. Hopefully S2 fixes this.

Quote:
Something that called my attention and changed the original 8/10 to 9/10 rating was because they accepted the idea that "anyone can die in a war".... No matter if you are a good guy or a bad one.
There was 0% chance Setsuna was gonna die in season 1. Z E R O. 1-1. And most of the characters who died were the lesser important characters. Had say, Sumeragi died? HOLY CRAP that woulda hit me hard along with every one of you. Hot + smart + real (COMPARED TO OTHERS) + had value + lots of screentime = dead? o.O S2 it wouldn't be such a big deal, since who knows if she gained wrinkles

About the only guy I thought die and I was kind of like o.o over it was Ali, simply cause his character was too invested into to kill off. Then he shows up alive, kinda. Graham woulda been too! Had his suit not been completely FUGLIFIED and his stupid rage pretty much slap on him an excuse to die suit. And of course he lives too! I genuinely thought Patrick died too as a loser all the way of sorts, but nope he lives.

And of course, if Soma Pierres died, that woulda been one of the few times I'd think I'd give 00 a 10. Simply because she was:

A) not part of the CB crew aka not a protagonist clinger
B) was an annoyance which is cliche but
C) makes her death ALL THE MORE appealing to bloodthirsty people like me

Whereas with people like Joshua who basically got less than 5 minutes of screen time I could care less if he was the ace flyer of the universe. Fact is, each faction had a star. Graham for union, Ali + Patrick as hidden ace and fake ace for AEU, and Soma/Old Guy combo for HRL. When they pretty much presented the AEU side kicking the bucket, and knowing Graham would PROBABLY GO OUT IN FLAMES, it woulda made a impact if at least the girl died, if not the old guy too, kinda saying like, HEY LOOK, EVEN SHE DIES, AND SHE'S STILL A KID. Woulda made the brutal and moody last couple episodes even more so. Sergei coulda lived, just to make it even more ironic like how some old guy outlives this girl due to war. I mean, that IS what gundam is about right? THEMES? SYMBOLISM? ETC ETC? Course in the end, when they showed how everyone survived, it completely made sense. All 3 people who appeared to have died had their excuses of survival (2 god fighters, 1 comic relief) while Sergei and Soma had none.

SO YEAH, IGNORE THE BLOCKS OF TEXT >.> I JUST FELT LIKE REFLECTING.
MooMooFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-13, 07:15   Link #191
srb
I can see time itself!

Send a message via MSN to srb
I'm an incredible Gundam elitist.

I think 00 is pretty good. Exia is actually a pleasant change of pace from ye good olde BIGGER BACKPACKS of the Cosmic Era; a barebones-Gundam designed for close combat? Sure, it has the solar furnace (which entirely removes any and all need for there to be propellant tanks on the damn thing as it can generate thrust and make the thing fly in atmosphere; nice touch, there), but in appearance and other equipment it really is quite barebones. I very much enjoyed pretty much all mechanical designs in 00, except Virtue. On the other hand, Seravee looks much better.
srb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-13, 05:55   Link #192
ZeroSama
All Hail Lelouch!
*Author

Gave it 7/10. Only a few real compliants about the series so far.

1. The first half of the season was noticably weaker than the second half.
2. Setsuna constantly yelling i am Gundam blah blah blah. -1 point
3. Lockon dying. I repeat Lockon dying. If they had killed that annoying little turd setsuna i wouldn't have minded but Lockon was just to cool to die. I mean Setsuna never matched Ali-Al Sarshes unless he had some type of trick up his sleeve i.e. a gundam, beam sabres, enhanced sword, trans- am etc. or he needed someone to save his ass(looks at Nena Trinity, Tiera Erde, Marina Ishamel).

Then we have the God known as Lockon. LockonVAli-Al Sarshes. GundamVGundam. Lockon is blind in one eye, doesn't use trans-am and he still had Ali-Al on the ropes until someone interrupted their fight and he cottoned on he couldn't see out of his right eye. lockon was the man, a veritable fountain of Gar that EP. His presence will sadly be missed. -2 points
ZeroSama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-13, 06:14   Link #193
Paladinoras
Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroSama View Post

3. Lockon dying. I repeat Lockon dying. If they had killed that annoying little turd setsuna i wouldn't have minded but Lockon was just to cool to die. I mean Setsuna never matched Ali-Al Sarshes unless he had some type of trick up his sleeve i.e. a gundam, beam sabres, enhanced sword, trans- am etc. or he needed someone to save his ass(looks at Nena Trinity, Tiera Erde, Marina Ishamel).

Then we have the God known as Lockon. LockonVAli-Al Sarshes. GundamVGundam. Lockon is blind in one eye, doesn't use trans-am and he still had Ali-Al on the ropes until someone interrupted their fight and he cottoned on he couldn't see out of his right eye. lockon was the man, a veritable fountain of Gar that EP. His presence will sadly be missed. -2 points
My God, he thinks exactly like me. Amazing!!!

Credit to Godlike1889 for the sig!
Paladinoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-15, 12:42   Link #194
incorrupts
Banned

Send a message via MSN to incorrupts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroSama View Post

Just finished the series and pretty much agree with you. Setsuna turned kinda ok in the end though. {didn't give a shit about him in the first epis to be honest}

8/10.
incorrupts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-15, 13:30   Link #195
LightningZERO
You are Dominated!
*Author

Did Setsuna really yell "I am Gundam!!!" that much? It's just some fan works and funny pictures over-exaggerate it

Last edited by LightningZERO; 2008-09-15 at 13:52.
LightningZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-15, 14:32   Link #196
incorrupts
Banned

Send a message via MSN to incorrupts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningZERO View Post
Did Setsuna really yell "I am Gundam!!!" that much? It's just some fan works and funny pictures over-exaggerate it
Well it was..weird at times. "^^
incorrupts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-15, 23:12   Link #197
jonli
JONLIの憂'

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningZERO View Post
He does yell "I am gundam" a lot, and especially at serious or sentimental scenes.

Or randomly blurp out "gundam da" all of a sudden.

Imagine if he actually died fighting Graham in the end, his last words would be "Gundam"
Old 2008-09-20, 09:25   Link #198
Kelrys
Same old same

Send a message via AIM to Kelrys Send a message via MSN to Kelrys
I think Allelujah and Lockon are the better pilots of the CB.
Kelrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-20, 12:43   Link #199
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelrys View Post
I think Allelujah and Lockon are the better pilots of the CB.
IMO, I thought that after CB last stand, Setsuna and Tieria appeared far more skilled than both Allelujah and Lockon.
Old 2008-09-20, 12:59   Link #200
RAVNEN

Send a message via Yahoo to RAVNEN
Yeah i'm agree with Arabesque.In 4 years gap surely they improve their skills to cope with new gundam.Hey does Lockon dead and be replace by his twin brother? I can't wait to see him kick Ali Al Sachez butt.
RAVNEN is offline   Reply With Quote