AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Toradora!

Notices

Old 2008-10-04, 19:41   Link #501
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimchi
Yea people really need to make that distinction when speaking of Louise as a character sadly enough...
Problem being though is that the vast majority of fansub watchers can't read Japanese, and as such it's the anime version that most people are aware of. I've heard in the moe threads that Louise is much better in the novels, but alas it's too late for me... one season and half of seeing her whip Saito into submission has left a very bad taste in my mouth that will probably never leave.

Taiga on the otherhand is an improvement in almost all aspects to Lousie for me, but then again with my opinion of Louise, it can only really go up from her. >_>

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 19:42   Link #502
JediNight
キズランダム

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
Palmtop Tiger is from the light novel, not an interpretation from a translator. I'll try to find the image.

Edit:
Okay thanks, I hadn't found a pic that had the actual Engrish on it.

And as I said, I know Pocket Tiger doesn't fit the visual exactly, but it would be sorta the closest actual phrase we use in English. Palm-sized Tiger was my prefered as well, but it's kinda wordy and I can see how Palmtop is more catchy.
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 19:49   Link #503
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoken View Post
Louise = Shana = Taiga

= =

Seen the first episode. I thought it was awesome. Nice style and animation, liked the mood.
yikes, they didn't bother changing the hair style at all! that is lazyness to the max. they could have changed the bangs or something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight View Post
Lemme put this translation question out to people:

I plan to TL ToraDora anime here, but wonder what people think of the "Palmtop Tiger" phrase. The actual Japanese is 手乗りタイガー which literally means "tiger that rests in your hand".

The available manga and light novel translations I've seen use "Palmtop Tiger", but to me a more fitting phrase for English would be "Pocket Tiger". (As "Pocket ____" is a commonly used phrase for that idea in English)

Think people would jump all over me if I used Pocket Tiger, or go with the more literal/engrishy Palmtop Tiger?
palmtop is more literal and correct. things that get the "pocket" prefix is because they are things that can fit in a pocket. take pocket-monster for example, they are called that because they fit in pocketballs that are kept ihn your pocket.

Last edited by golthin; 2008-10-04 at 20:04.
golthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 20:31   Link #504
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
DragoonKain3, you don't need to know japanese to enjoy ZnT novels... Knowing english is good enough...Ofcourse for the translated volumes but there are 7 volumes translated...Of course most Louise's development come with 8th volume so if you meant that then I have to agree...

As for palm-sized pr Plamtop... I think Palmtop is more catchy...
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 20:33   Link #505
typhonsentra

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoSam View Post
And finally the cover of the upcoming volume 9 of the shounen(boy's) light novel series Toradora!:

Shounen light novel.
Published under the shounen(boy's) light novel label Dengeki Bunko.
Release Date: October 10th, 2008.

Edit: The first post got updated with the latest Toradora! light novel.
I'm so looking forward to this. The woman who writes this series works at a crazy pace. Three books minimum a year, 4 for 2007 if you count the Spin-Off!
typhonsentra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 20:37   Link #506
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Problem being though is that the vast majority of fansub watchers can't read Japanese, and as such it's the anime version that most people are aware of. I've heard in the moe threads that Louise is much better in the novels, but alas it's too late for me... one season and half of seeing her whip Saito into submission has left a very bad taste in my mouth that will probably never leave.

Taiga on the otherhand is an improvement in almost all aspects to Lousie for me, but then again with my opinion of Louise, it can only really go up from her. >_>
There is some *cough* translations in certain places...Probably not allowed to link since Seven Seas technically has the rights now (God knows when they'll get around to releasing though...) and id rather not get banned...again...

And I like the phrase PalmTop...I dunno just sounds alot more cute then pocket or any other creative translation one could put forth.

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Ashlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 20:52   Link #507
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
Originally Posted by golthin View Post
yikes, they didn't bother changing the hair style at all! that is lazyness to the max. they could have changed the bangs or something
Their designs are from the light novels, and I'm pretty sure the light novels are unrelated. They're just coincidentally very similar.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 21:06   Link #508
valet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
Umm, if you noticed Rie Kugimiya used rather different voice from her previous tsundere-loli roles so i do not really think that your comment has much ground simply because the voices of Shana/Louise are rather different from Taiga... And if you would not know that it is the same voice actor you might think it is different one just from what you hear.
To be honest, I didn't know anything about the cast before watching the first episode, and I really don't keep up with voice actors, but I could tell pretty much instantly that it was the same voice as Shana/Louise. I agree that she is doing something a little different with Taiga's voice, but I still recognized it immediately. Of course, I'm not complaining about it or anything, since I do like her characters. I also don't know anything about Toradora, and I haven't even read a synopsis, but it looks like it could be fun, so I'm looking forward to the next episode.
valet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 21:35   Link #509
kuropon
MBT Whipping Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by golthin View Post
yikes, they didn't bother changing the hair style at all! that is lazyness to the max. they could have changed the bangs or something.

Who do you think should have changed the bangs or whatnot?
kuropon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 21:41   Link #510
Darknemo2000

Well one reason is that those bangs in novels make her less attractive... Taiga or Sumire are few times more attractive than her IMHO, though she should be the most beautiful ...

In manga as far as I have seen the bangs are changed a little and far less ugly but it seems like they made them same in anime as in novels...Too bad... I think those bangs make her ugly at least such thick ones.
Old 2008-10-04, 22:20   Link #511
JediNight
キズランダム

I like Taiga's hair in the manga the most because they get some wonderful detail in it at times which looks great with such long hair. Anime is my least favorite because it's overly simplified even by anime standards.
Old 2008-10-04, 22:55   Link #512
Falkor

oh geez, I have to post these two images (probably those who have been following the manga would not find it as amusing) because of how relevant they are to the latest discussion...

edit: credits go to SCX-Scans for the translation
Falkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 23:44   Link #513
puretsundere
Tachibana Isana

Just saw the first episode and it was a decent episode. Nothing particularly amazing about the first episode, but nothing so awful that I wouldn't want to watch the rest of the series. Always love hearing Yui Horie, and I generally never complain about a series in which Rie Kugimiya voices a tsundere. To me, this series has a lot of potential and I'm intrigued by the plot, so it looks like I'll be watching this for awhile.

Found it kind of funny the male lead's name is Ryuuji. We already heard the famous Shana "urusai". I wonder if the show will use this and have more Shana references throughout the series.
Old 2008-10-04, 23:59   Link #514
ayu
DUN.DDUN.DDDUN.

I dont think it was a reference, probably a coincidence as the author of shana and toradora are two different people
ayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-05, 00:03   Link #515
puretsundere
Tachibana Isana

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayu View Post
I dont think it was a reference, probably a coincidence as the author of shana and toradora are two different people
I know it's a coincidence. I know they decided on Ryuuji's name when Toradora! was written way before knowing Rie Kugimiya would be playing the opposite female lead in the anime incarnation. I just thought it was a funny coincidence. I was just thinking that Toradora! might use some reference to Yuuji in Ryuuji (silver flame, torches, etc.). I just feel that more Shana references might be coming in the future. But they might not.
Old 2008-10-05, 00:22   Link #516
JediNight
キズランダム

Pint-sized Tiger ... that's not a bad TL either, didn't think of that one.
Old 2008-10-05, 00:40   Link #517
Ultenth

You really can't move away from the image of palm, pocket or pint are great and all, but they actually use images in the manga and anime that show a tiger on a palm. So to move away from palm-whatever tiger is really inaccurate if you're trying to translate it.
Ultenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-05, 01:22   Link #518
anyme

In manga,I think Taiga's design is like Louise.
But in anime,I think she is Chiaki with out radar on her head.

May be I miss Minami-ke..... Somebody change her hair color plz!!
anyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-05, 03:37   Link #519
Darknemo2000

When I talked about bangs I didnt had in mind Taiga but
Spoiler for name:
Old 2008-10-05, 05:14   Link #520
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Minori looks even more fun animated than in the novels...

And the "Takasu is scary" things are more fun, too.

(Also... Urusai x 3 in the first ep? That was fast.)
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, romance, shounen