AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Toradora!

Notices

Old 2009-03-26, 01:29   Link #1461
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Its the "no-ending/reset" nonsense that I find to be a more recent troubling trend. ... but that's most often seen in 'harem/eroge' adaptations.
I think you meant light novel/manga adaptations.

Eroge adaptations would rarely have open-ends because they are always plot/story complete by the time they are turn it into an anime, and a pairing is nearly always decided and shown at the end (well they have to be, since majority of eroge ends with the player hooking up with a girl). The only reason some eroge would feel not complete would be when the arcs of other heroines didn't get full adapted, or if you're wearing some serious shipper goggles that prevents you from accepting the ending.
houkoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-26, 02:29   Link #1462
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

No... I don't typically 'ship at all. I've usually got the rubber mallet after shippers because they don't seem to care a bit about plot. But I've seen too many "harem/eroge" where in fact no girl is actually "chosen" or one is chosen but all the other girls fail to notice and continue to pursue the guy. The classic harem "reset" ending.

But you are correct that many lightnovel/manga series have rather lame or anime-only endings because the source material is still in progress.
Mahoraba: Heartful Days is one example where, imo, they pulled off a decent finish in the anime adaptation despite the manga being only halfway done.
Old 2009-03-26, 03:57   Link #1463
Argent

OK, just saw the final episode.

I eat my words about Taiga and Ryuuji, this was a very sweet ending. The things I objected to were put to rest by the decisions made in this episode.

Can someone tell us what the letter at the end of the episode was? It didn't get translated and I'm sure it gave us a hint about Ryuuji's future plans.
Argent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-26, 04:12   Link #1464
CaptGloval
New Macross soon

^The letter has been talked about in the ep 25 thread.
CaptGloval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-29, 13:18   Link #1465
solomon

Marathoned it, just finished it.

Even though I had RyuujixTaiga peggeed from the first episode (and that was kinda confirmed when I looked at blog suki last week before getting into the show) it still was very good.

Special mention goes to the animation, which was WELL above average for a non fantasy/action show. Really helped accentuate some scenes, particularly Taiga and the Student Council Prez's rumble in ep 17 and Taiga's breakdown in the Christmas ep (my favorite one, love christmas eps).
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-31, 03:46   Link #1466
monir
cho~ kakkoii

I've started to watch Toradora now that the series has concluded. At episode 11 now, and I've to say that boy I don't like Minori much. I just can't stand her energetic self when it seems pretty obvious she is only masquerading her true self. I bet she is pretty emo. I've yet to discover Taiga's fascination with Minori. I suspect it's out of pity.

I like Ami a lot on the other hand. Very true to herself and very perceptive of the people around her. Her interpretations on anyone's personality is right on the money. At the same time, she has enough wisdom to hold herself back from pointing out anything obvious, and always reluctant to volunteer any information. Smart, honest, wise, and reserve. Only if she came to know Ryuugi before Taiga......

Last edited by monir; 2009-04-01 at 01:24. Reason: Ami isn't spelled M-a-i. :P
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-31, 04:41   Link #1467
Taken

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
I've started to watch Toradora now that the series has concluded. At episode 11 now, and I've to say that boy I don't like Minori much. I just can't stand her energetic self when it seems pretty obvious she is only masquerading her true self. I bet she is pretty emo. I've yet to discover Taiga's fascination with Minori. I suspect it's out of pity.

I like Mai a lot on the other hand. Very true to herself and very perceptive of the people around her. Her interpretations on anyone's personality is right on the money. At the same time, she has enough wisdom to hold herself back from pointing out anything obvious, and always reluctant to volunteer any information. Smart, honest, wise, and reserve. Only if she came to know Ryuugi before Taiga......
You might want to come back and revisit this post again after you finish watching the series and btw you meant Ami rite?
Taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-31, 04:47   Link #1468
fish eric
like to talk to fish?

Pre Ryuji-era Taiga Minorin was Taiga's only friend at school. Thats a pretty good answer for your assertation yea?

Honestly though I disagree, I like Minori's character. Shes so goofy and funny.

Remember when she was wearing the Minori-chan's cute girl radar, but she wasn't picking up any signals from Ami?

When Ryuji sends her the note asking if a girl who says she an airhead is cool and she does that angle to devil thing.

Oh! the best is when Taiga puts Ami in a double-arm lock and Minori is grabbing Ami's love handles and says "We're only allowed to bring 300 Yen worth of meat on a field trip. Does this look like 300 yen worth of meat?" as she shakes Ami's love handles. Hehehe and then she devotes the battle to diet warriors who perished before

MORUZE. CHOU MORUZE!
fish eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-31, 06:18   Link #1469
Waven
Itadaki-nyaaa !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taken View Post
You might want to come back and revisit this post again after you finish watching the series and btw you meant Ami rite?
No read again he wrote energetic, he really means Minori and i totally understand him not liking her for that reason. I had the same feeling but changed later
Spoiler for anime:
Waven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-31, 07:21   Link #1470
Keio
Serious Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waven View Post
No read again he wrote energetic, he really means Minori and i totally understand him not liking her for that reason. I had the same feeling but changed later
Spoiler for anime:
Monir mentioned a "Mai" in his post, which is probably a typo for Ami.
Keio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-31, 08:09   Link #1471
typhonsentra

Taiga loves Minori because Minori is very, very dedicated to Taiga. You'll see more of that later.
typhonsentra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-01, 01:39   Link #1472
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taken View Post
and btw you meant Ami rite?
Yes!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waven
Spoiler for anime:
Aside for Ami and Riyugi, people are seemingly not being themselves and hiding their true-selves for whatever reason. What I'm saying is that Minorin has impressed me as someone who is straining herself by her overly done cheeriness. That is not her, and that's what making me dislike her character. I'm also curious to find out why she is so overly protective of Taiga?

I think this show is about discovering self by being true to ones own. Taiga is a perfect example. The outcome of the show screams Taiga x Riyugi and yet, she is going through the motion of confessing to her beloved what-ever-his-name. I'm not fond of most of these characters other than Ami and Riyugi. Minori is the one that stands out the most from my list of not-very-likable characters presented in this show.

The show isn't deriving to change any characters. The characters are merely taking the journey to self-discovery. I hope the show remains true to its theme till the end. At episode 12 now.

Oh, and I love the parrot!
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-01, 06:48   Link #1473
BetoJR
D-d-don't look!!!
*Artist

I don't see why some people feel Minorin's genki behavior is not her. Can't someone be that hyper, all the time - without ulterior motives, like hiding their "true selves"? There hasn't been a single development in the whole series (or the light novels) to make me believe she was putting up a front of some kind - that's just who she is.

Emorin was simply her being unable to cope with what she was feeling and how she was unable to act on those same feelings: it was not her "true" self.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-01, 16:36   Link #1474
Jeiku

Whether or not that's a front, I don't feel Minori acting overly positive and hyperactive is an unhealthy thing for her. If it isn't a front, then that's merely how she is, and that she's simply unable to cope with certain insecurities when they are brought up. If it's a front, then I don't believe it is totally fake; she may be using that side of her to lift her mind from whatever sadness she may hold within herself, but I certainly think that that positive personality still stems from the kind of person she is. Plus, as Minori hasn't shown any signs of actual depression throughout (which is a different case than being affected by individual problems), then it's her way of getting her mind off her problems without being fake. It's a good coping mechanism that works.
Jeiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-02, 07:51   Link #1475
technomo12
Wise Otaku Seeker

um any rumors for a season 2??
technomo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-02, 08:57   Link #1476
BetoJR
D-d-don't look!!!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by technomo12 View Post
Not a single one. The original novels are done, anyway...unless we get anime-originals (or adaptations of the spin-offs), I don't see it happening anytime soon.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-02, 09:19   Link #1477
wistfulloner

Quote:
Originally Posted by technomo12 View Post
For the sake of Toradora's artistic integrity as a whole, I fervently hope no season 2 will come out, or if it does, that it actually has original material to fall back on (a la Toradora 2 novel), which is exceedingly unlikely. Creating another season as an independent project would be heading for disaster; also I like how the series is standing now, thank you very much.

So unless under special circumstances, I would opt for an Ami OVA instead of a 2nd Toradora season any day.
wistfulloner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-02, 11:07   Link #1478
Yukinokesshou
ドジ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeiku View Post
Whether or not that's a front, I don't feel Minori acting overly positive and hyperactive is an unhealthy thing for her. If it isn't a front, then that's merely how she is, and that she's simply unable to cope with certain insecurities when they are brought up. [...] It's a good coping mechanism that works.
I think it all boils down to how you define a "front". It's normal for people to have many sides to their personality: no one acts the same in happiness and anger. Coping mechanisms and acts of anger are often reflections of someone's innate personality. I "cope" by moving on and not dwelling on things. I'm not trying to suppress negative emotions; I'm simply impatient and forward-thinking by nature. When I'm angry, I can say some very hurtful things and I think that does reflect a negative side of my personality (cold and selfish).

Hence, my opinion is that "Emorin" and "cheerful, bubbly Minorin" are just two sides of Minori's true personality. Neither is a front, neither is "Minori not being herself". Constant, unchanging personalities like Nagisa's kindness in Clannad are actually very unrealistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wistfulloner View Post
So unless under special circumstances, I would opt for an Ami OVA instead of a 2nd Toradora season any day.
I'd prefer an OVA too but if and only if:
(a) It's set after the events in the main story,
(b) does NOT reflect an alternative reality,
(c) and contains a passing mention of what Ryuuji and Taiga are up to.

So... no thank you for Clannad-style extras like: what would have happened if Ryuuji and Ami paired up, or the events one year before Ryuuji and Taiga bumped into each other.

Last edited by Yukinokesshou; 2009-04-02 at 11:17.
Yukinokesshou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-02, 19:20   Link #1479
Jeiku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukinokesshou View Post
I think it all boils down to how you define a "front". It's normal for people to have many sides to their personality: no one acts the same in happiness and anger. Coping mechanisms and acts of anger are often reflections of someone's innate personality. I "cope" by moving on and not dwelling on things. I'm not trying to suppress negative emotions; I'm simply impatient and forward-thinking by nature. When I'm angry, I can say some very hurtful things and I think that does reflect a negative side of my personality (cold and selfish).

Hence, my opinion is that "Emorin" and "cheerful, bubbly Minorin" are just two sides of Minori's true personality. Neither is a front, neither is "Minori not being herself". Constant, unchanging personalities like Nagisa's kindness in Clannad are actually very unrealistic.
These are pretty much my thoughts as well. It personally never occurred to me that Minori was putting up a front; it seemed to me that that was just another side of who she is, though I was merely thinking of other possible conclusions earlier.

Quote:
So... no thank you for Clannad-style extras like: what would have happened if Ryuuji and Ami paired up, or the events one year before Ryuuji and Taiga bumped into each other.
Tell me about it. Those bonus episodes truly felt like a complete step backwards from the series. I don't even want a mid-series bonus episode; I'd much rather have a post-series OVA that actually focuses on how Ryuuji and Taiga are doing (and the other characters, of course).

The 2002 version of Kanon did this pretty decently, I thought.
Jeiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-02, 20:03   Link #1480
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Hmmmm, OVA focusing on Sumire would be nice (for me at least). Ami followup would be interesting as well

Probably nothing will happen unless there are more spinoff novels or short stories.

Tags
comedy, romance, shounen