AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-10-22, 00:22   Link #9481
Avvesione
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Yeah, Xiammes brings up an excellent point in that we don't really know the timeline of Eve Project in relation to the Adam Project. That is, we don't know when Riru and all this happened nor do we really know when she developed her Psychokinesis. We've only just learned about her origins and this chapter had only a minor amount of detail, so it's hard to tell what's going on with. I'm sure we'll get more information soon, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the two created differently and for different purposes.

---

Also, remember how I used to write up posts on my blog about Needless? Well, I finally got around to catching up, so here they are for the past three chapters:

Chapter 104: http://avvesione.wordpress.com/2012/...s-chapter-104/
Chapter 105: http://avvesione.wordpress.com/2012/...s-chapter-105/
Chapter 106: http://avvesione.wordpress.com/2012/...s-chapter-106/

I know these are late but I'd still appreciate it if you read over them and wanted to talk about them at all. Thanks.

---

Also, regarding this most recent chapter and on Setsuna:
Spoiler:
__________________
Avvesione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-22, 02:11   Link #9482
Kurohane
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiammes View Post
That also means Eve didn't have any fragments to begin but Riru did, makes you wonder why. Maybe after the accident in the lab it was determined that Eve didn't need a fragment, but concerning the latest chapter it doesn't make much sense.

Spoiler for :
Spoiler for :


Quote:
Originally Posted by Avvesione View Post
Also, regarding this most recent chapter and on Setsuna:
Spoiler:
Spoiler for :


Also, I've been waiting for your reviews Avvesione. Looking forward to reading them.
__________________

Last edited by Kurohane; 2012-10-22 at 11:09.
Kurohane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-22, 18:55   Link #9483
Sayo A.
Presumably Pentadactyl
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Somewhere between this world and the next
Spoiler for 106:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avvesione View Post
Also, remember how I used to write up posts on my blog about Needless? Well, I finally got around to catching up, so here they are for the past three chapters:

Chapter 104: http://avvesione.wordpress.com/2012/...s-chapter-104/
Chapter 105: http://avvesione.wordpress.com/2012/...s-chapter-105/
Chapter 106: http://avvesione.wordpress.com/2012/...s-chapter-106/

I know these are late but I'd still appreciate it if you read over them and wanted to talk about them at all. Thanks.
You know no one reads those columns, right?

Just kidding. I gave them the eyeball earlier and I'll share my thoughts on them at some point (i.e. list the bits I disagree with), but not now because I'm off to bed.
Spoiler:
__________________
Where did it all go wrong?
Sayo A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-23, 03:49   Link #9484
Ynot
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Spoiler for 106:

Last edited by Ynot; 2012-10-23 at 04:02.
Ynot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-23, 10:38   Link #9485
Sayo A.
Presumably Pentadactyl
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Somewhere between this world and the next
@Avvesione. Like I said, I read your Needless columns. So at least someone does. Though I don't read the other ones, about the TV shows no one watches, because, well, I don't watch them...

Anyway, it's always interesting to see what you have to say, about the series in general as well as individual chapters. I appreciate the effort you (presumably) put in to the thing. Of course, it means I'm obliged to make an effort too, to criticise your work, and not just say "Great post!".

Well, here we go. And actually, I don't have anything to say about chapter 104. Too much effort required in imagining I haven't already seen the next two instalments (heh). So, moving on... You make a good point about the lack of a clear distinction between "good guys" and "bad guys" in Needless, and it certainly makes things more interesting not knowing what "side" a character may be on at any given time - or, indeed, in the future. But I wonder if you're overthinking the relationship between Seth/Solva and Uten/Kafka. I agree that the end of their fight had to happen "off screen" in order to set up the events of chapter 105, but as to the allegiances of the characters, the way I see it is that Seth simply allowed Uten and Kafka to think they had her beaten so that she could get inside Simeon HQ. At which point she reveals that she (apparently) has the upper hand, and they'd better go along with her plan if they know what's good for them. (And if they knew they had backup waiting for them in the lab, all the more reason for them not to make a big fuss about it.)

I quite liked the fact that your post on chapter 106 was mostly nothing to do with chapter 106, but was all about the ways in which past events have been presented (though I should mention that there is some spoilerage towards the bottom of the page, if anyone cares about that at this point). Imai certainly comes up with some novel ways of avoiding the standard flashback technique, or at least of introducing what are otherwise straigtforward segments of past narrative. And the Memory World adventure was especially thought-provoking in its implications.

I have to point out, though, that Needless isn't the only series that uses non-standard means to fill in details of past events. Negima! is another example which relies heavily on exploring the characters' memories in various ways, including fragments revealed in dreams, entering and replaying them via magic (though not actually interacting with the past), and even making movies out of them. (It might be interesting to make a comparison between the two series some time. I think they have quite a lot in common, including most of the things that make them rank among my favourites. Maybe I'll write an article on it if I ever get around to starting a blog...)

I did have a slight quibble with one point you brought up:
Spoiler for 106:


PS Good luck on the exam. Though of course you won't read that until afterwards, because you're studying now, right?
__________________
Where did it all go wrong?
Sayo A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-23, 12:39   Link #9486
Kurohane
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Dang, Sayo. You have made it absolutely clear that you don't like the reviews Avvesione does. That is not a problem in itself, but the way you come off as disrespectful and rude towards them and Avvesione is completely uncalled for and out of line. I read them, and Ynot has as well. I'm sure people we don't even know and are fans of needless read them to see someone else's input. I know I was one of them before I signed on here. How do you know that nobody reads them? Even if you have problems with it, there is no need to be so disrespectful and rude. I know you want to bring criticism, but some of your comments are insulting.

About Riru's projection, It is really not so farfetched to believe she can force any kind of image to other people. If it is only her past, she is able to share then the power is too limited. However, I belive this is chance for Cruz to discover Pyscokenesis weakness. If she decides to show instances from Genesis where her power was limited it could give him a valuable clue. Her flaunting could prove to be her undoing.
__________________
Kurohane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-23, 13:39   Link #9487
Sayo A.
Presumably Pentadactyl
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Somewhere between this world and the next
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurohane View Post
Dang, Sayo. You have made it absolutely clear that you don't like the reviews Avvesione does. That is not a problem in itself, but the way you come off as disrespectful and rude towards them and Avvesione is completely uncalled for and out of line. I read them, and Ynot has as well. I'm sure people we don't even know and are fans of needless read them to see someone else's input. I know I was one of them before I signed on here. How do you know that nobody reads them? Even if you have problems with it, there is no need to be so disrespectful and rude. I know you want to bring criticism, but some of your comments are insulting.
I'm sorry if you got that impression. I wasn't intending to be rude, just making a few humorous remarks based on the tag line at the top of Avvesione's blog page. Perhaps they don't seem so humorous if you haven't read it...
__________________
Where did it all go wrong?
Sayo A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-23, 20:59   Link #9488
Kurohane
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Yeah, I never seen that tagline until you mentioned it. It is just that some of your comments could easily be taken the wrong way, even if it was meant to be a joke.
__________________
Kurohane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-23, 22:26   Link #9489
Kefit
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Spoiler:
Kefit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-24, 03:57   Link #9490
Avvesione
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayo A. View Post
@Avvesione. Like I said, I read your Needless columns. So at least someone does. Though I don't read the other ones, about the TV shows no one watches, because, well, I don't watch them...

Anyway, it's always interesting to see what you have to say, about the series in general as well as individual chapters. I appreciate the effort you (presumably) put in to the thing. Of course, it means I'm obliged to make an effort too, to criticise your work, and not just say "Great post!".

Well, here we go. And actually, I don't have anything to say about chapter 104. Too much effort required in imagining I haven't already seen the next two instalments (heh). So, moving on... You make a good point about the lack of a clear distinction between "good guys" and "bad guys" in Needless, and it certainly makes things more interesting not knowing what "side" a character may be on at any given time - or, indeed, in the future. But I wonder if you're overthinking the relationship between Seth/Solva and Uten/Kafka. I agree that the end of their fight had to happen "off screen" in order to set up the events of chapter 105, but as to the allegiances of the characters, the way I see it is that Seth simply allowed Uten and Kafka to think they had her beaten so that she could get inside Simeon HQ. At which point she reveals that she (apparently) has the upper hand, and they'd better go along with her plan if they know what's good for them. (And if they knew they had backup waiting for them in the lab, all the more reason for them not to make a big fuss about it.)

I quite liked the fact that your post on chapter 106 was mostly nothing to do with chapter 106, but was all about the ways in which past events have been presented (though I should mention that there is some spoilerage towards the bottom of the page, if anyone cares about that at this point). Imai certainly comes up with some novel ways of avoiding the standard flashback technique, or at least of introducing what are otherwise straigtforward segments of past narrative. And the Memory World adventure was especially thought-provoking in its implications.

I have to point out, though, that Needless isn't the only series that uses non-standard means to fill in details of past events. Negima! is another example which relies heavily on exploring the characters' memories in various ways, including fragments revealed in dreams, entering and replaying them via magic (though not actually interacting with the past), and even making movies out of them. (It might be interesting to make a comparison between the two series some time. I think they have quite a lot in common, including most of the things that make them rank among my favourites. Maybe I'll write an article on it if I ever get around to starting a blog...)

I did have a slight quibble with one point you brought up:
Spoiler for 106:


PS Good luck on the exam. Though of course you won't read that until afterwards, because you're studying now, right?
Thanks for the comments on my posts and the luck on the exam (began studying at 3am whoo!), I'm glad you were able to read them and provide this feedback. Yeah, just to let you know, writing for Chapter 104 was difficult because I had already read 105 and 106, but I'm glad that I didn't skip that chapter since it had some rather significant developments in it.

As for 105, though I did tend to focus on Seto/Solva and Kafka/Uten, I wanted to apply that trend to everyone in the manga, including the times when Mio joined and fought alongside Cruz, when Cruz was with Setsuna and Kuchinashi at St. Rose, and even later with BQ and Rin, not to mention Aruka and Saten. I probably am overthinking the resolution to the battle a bit in that post, but I just found it fantastic at how it allowed for this strange alliance to exist without us seeing how or why. It does create a bit of excitement, tension, and curiosity seeing them like that, so that's why I felt motivated to comment on that trend. It'll be fun to see how the alliance evolves now that Ishiyama is willing to combat them.

As for 106, I have a friend who I talk with regularly who's finished Negima, so I can strike up a conversation with him soon regarding the similarities and differences regarding unveiling the past (in fact, we were just talking about Negima). The main reason why I wanted to write about this topic was because of how well it is integrated into the manga and how innovative these techniques are. They might not be original but they're certainly distinguishable from a vast majority of manga/anime. I really wanted to talk more about how Disk revealed everything about Cruz over the past 100 chapters more but I tried to gear it toward a spoiler-free post, so I only touched on it lightly. I suppose there are some minor spoilers in that that made it past my final revisions/edits, so I took care of them now, so thanks for pointing that out.

As for Riru's ability... yeah, I can see it being that way, but I figure if she has the absolute power to do that, she should be able to create any image she wants from her memory and use that as a projection. The way I figure is that she thinks up something, like a memory, and then uses that to communicate it to everyone else's conscious. Maybe if we see more of it again soon, we'll know for sure, but yeah, those were just my thoughts on it.

So, thanks again for all the feedback and discussion on it. I'm always glad to see people enjoying these posts, finding them interesting, and wanting to talk about them, so thanks for sharing those thoughts here with the rest of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurohane View Post
Dang, Sayo. You have made it absolutely clear that you don't like the reviews Avvesione does. That is not a problem in itself, but the way you come off as disrespectful and rude towards them and Avvesione is completely uncalled for and out of line. I read them, and Ynot has as well. I'm sure people we don't even know and are fans of needless read them to see someone else's input. I know I was one of them before I signed on here. How do you know that nobody reads them? Even if you have problems with it, there is no need to be so disrespectful and rude. I know you want to bring criticism, but some of your comments are insulting.

About Riru's projection, It is really not so farfetched to believe she can force any kind of image to other people. If it is only her past, she is able to share then the power is too limited. However, I belive this is chance for Cruz to discover Pyscokenesis weakness. If she decides to show instances from Genesis where her power was limited it could give him a valuable clue. Her flaunting could prove to be her undoing.
Actually, Kurohane, I never thought Sayo's comments were in any way insulting or negative, even the joke about no one reading them (which is actually true, these posts bring in the fewest traffic and receive the fewest hits but I still write them because they're my favorite posts to write, even if no one read them!). I can see where you thought that they were disrespectful and hurtful, but I never saw it that way. After seeing Sayo post here for a couple years, I can tell that he's joking (regarding my subtitle) and appreciates my posts.

So yeah, please don't be too angry with Sayo, he was just trying to have some fun in regards to my blog. And even if he was being serious and insulting, I'd still take that as criticism to improve my writing and blog in general. Every little bit helps.

I do like the idea of Riru projecting more images of her past to Cruz and the others as a means of Cruz finding a weakness in Psychokinesis. I don't believe Riru is that dumb to make such a move, rather she seems to be one of the more intelligent characters in Needless, but I can see her arrogance and hatred being a part of her downfall. The one thing I'm wondering if how much longer before Disk and Cruz are out for the fight... they've already received a number of bad blows, I'm surprised they're still able to stand (not to mention cheer on Blade instead of trying to survive against Riru).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefit View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
__________________
Avvesione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-24, 23:07   Link #9491
Kurohane
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Oh O.K, as long as no harm was done. Yeah, I'm new, so I have not noticed that consistency in Sayo's posting.

Spoiler for :
__________________
Kurohane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-25, 07:06   Link #9492
Ynot
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Spoiler for 106 :

Last edited by Ynot; 2012-10-25 at 14:00.
Ynot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-26, 16:47   Link #9493
Sayo A.
Presumably Pentadactyl
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Somewhere between this world and the next
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurohane View Post
Yeah, I'm new, so I have not noticed that consistency in Sayo's posting.
My posts often have a chewy, somewhat rubbery consistency. It's because I tend to overcook them.

Today's offering is a bit of a mixed grill.
Spoiler for Riru:

Spoiler for Stigmata:


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefit View Post
Anyway, I wonder how all these disparate battles are going to come together in terms of the overarching narrative. I can't imagine Kami is just going to have a bunch of separate fights and leave it at that - plot development with Setsuna and Seto+Solva's new foe means this is all leading somewhere.

And I can't fucking wait to find out where. More right now please kthx Kami.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avvesione View Post
And as for all four fights coming together at some point, I could see Blade and Arclight destroying the ceiling of the giant room they're in and allowing the Simeon building to cave into the basement area. Might be fun to have 20 people fighting all in the same room, though I have no clue how anyone could keep that straight. Still, it's a good idea to think about, trying to see how everything will come together, since they're all in the building now, just in various parts throughout.
Yes, the fact that all our heroes (and/or villains) are now in more or less the same place does tend to imply that events are heading towards a final climactic battle. Anyone want to bet this is the last volume of part 1 and things are wrapped up in another 6 chapters?
__________________
Where did it all go wrong?
Sayo A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-26, 17:21   Link #9494
K. Shiruto
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayo A. View Post
Anyone want to bet this is the last volume of part 1 and things are wrapped up in another 6 chapters?
Agreed. To me this chapter with which the volume starts, marks the beggining of the end of the arc and the end of the first part of the history.

All the fronts are pretty much settled: Seth and Solva can't get away, the conflict between Mio & Teruyama vs Kuchinashi & Setsuna is also decided with the later unable to fight anymore. And Arclight & Riru are an impossible for the Resistance.

The climax is already there.
K. Shiruto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-26, 22:42   Link #9495
Kurohane
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
I don't think things will be wrapped up in another six chapters. I'm sure Imai-san will focus more on Set and Solva's fight with Ishiyama and shadow figure 1. He wouldn't bring them back just to settle things off panel. We have to know what's going on with Setsuna. Saten and shadow figure 2 have to make an appearance. Furthermore, Blade's and Arclight's battle will likely last a while until the other events going on are settled and make their impact there. Lastly, Cruz, Disk and Eve have to hold out against Riru for the same reasons.
__________________
Kurohane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-26, 22:52   Link #9496
Xiammes
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
I don't see everything being rapped up in 6 more chapters, but I don't see it taking up another volume. He might end things abruptly and will get more context during part 2.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic210393_1.gif
Xiammes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-27, 03:42   Link #9497
Avvesione
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayo A. View Post
Spoiler for Stigmata:
Actually, counted all that as Rain Maker, seeing as it shows all of it in that panel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayo A. View Post
Yes, the fact that all our heroes (and/or villains) are now in more or less the same place does tend to imply that events are heading towards a final climactic battle. Anyone want to bet this is the last volume of part 1 and things are wrapped up in another 6 chapters?
Predicting the end to Needless 1 is probably impossible right now; there's no telling how much more will be explored or explained here and what, if anything, will be left for Needless 2 (or if any more questions will be raised). It could happen in 6 chapters or it could happen in fewer or more (last volume doesn't necessarily need to be 7 chapters either).

And seeing as there's a lot left unexplored with Riru/Eve/Eve Project/Kasumi/Triple Six/Mizuha, I figure we'll get that back story sometime soon. Not to mention everything going on with Saten, Ishiyama, Triple 666, the Ark, and everything on that side of the story has been kept secret, too.
__________________
Avvesione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-27, 06:38   Link #9498
Ynot
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Finishing all of this up in just six chapters is of course possible but it would feel like a very tight fit to me considering all of the things which are still going on right now. Besides, even though this fight between Arclight and Blade is repeatedly being presented as the "decisive battle" don't forget we've had a situation in volume 7 before were an entire Arc(Arclight-arc) was put on hold to sneak in the "Past-arc". I can see that happening here too depending on how many of the mysteries Imai Kami is or isn't willing to take with him to Needless 2. Personally I'm really hoping Needless 1 won't be finished just yet with the current volume.

Last edited by Ynot; 2012-11-02 at 17:02.
Ynot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-27, 07:25   Link #9499
K. Shiruto
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
I don't think the battle against Arclight will last any longer, the situation isn't the same and besides, in their previous clash almost four chapters were spent with a flashback.

Perhaps the arc may not end with this volume, but it will very well do in the first chapters of the next one. However, the conflict in the City will likely end in the following 6 chapters.
K. Shiruto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-30, 22:34   Link #9500
Avvesione
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Finally got around to picking up my copy of Ultra Jump. Nothing really significant to report but there was an ad at the end of the chapter that didn't make the scans, so here it is (it's an ad for Volume 15):
Spoiler:


I'm happy to see the 4-koma Needless Gaiden will be there. Really wish there was more of it, like a page or two at the end of every chapter.
__________________
Avvesione is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
action, comedy, seinen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:12.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.