AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Macross

Notices

Old 2010-09-18, 14:09   Link #6181
BetoJR
D-d-don't look!!!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Sorry, but I think your definition is pretty much locked into "How can I convince myself that all that evidence for sex between Sheryl and Alto is WRONG!".
I'll have to side with Yot-chan on this one, dude. If a disease is transmittable via bodily fluids, it's transmittable via sex. No two ways about it, and no argument. You're welcome to look it up.

It doesn't change the fact that they could very well have had sex (I prefer to believe so, myself) and Alto could be treated fairly simply, as Luca pointed out to Sheryl.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-18, 19:40   Link #6182
magnuskn

Oh, well, whatever, let's make the V-Type disease into Space AIDS.

Anyway, Sheryl knew it could be easily treated, so that wasn't really that much of a hindrance as Gubaba wants to make it. As for it being 100% proven, it is of course not, since none of the many many many hints to it are complete canon. But it's a pretty big mountain of hints and pieces of evidence, and there has been absolutely zilch counterstatements by anyone who was involved in the production of the show, so I think taking the scientific approach, we can approximate us to near certainty.

Oh, and how exactly are Sheryl and Alto sleeping in that picture in question? Yeah, they got their eyes closed, but that certainly seems like "work in progress" to me, not peaceful repose. I must have missed so far that people blush while they sleep.

Anyway, I made 12th level today in my Star Wars RPG round, and my padawan is as good as ready for his Jedi Knight trials, so I probably can take my first level as Jedi Master next level. That calls for some celebration, so here y'all have clown face Ranka.

Last edited by magnuskn; 2010-09-18 at 20:00.
magnuskn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-18, 20:56   Link #6183
justavisitor

But if Sheryl knew it could be easily treated, then how come Sheryl was afraid of letting Alto to touch her blood??

Anyway, just saying...
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
justavisitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-19, 05:19   Link #6184
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by justavisitor View Post
But if Sheryl knew it could be easily treated, then how come Sheryl was afraid of letting Alto to touch her blood??

Anyway, just saying...
Ah, you need a concentrated amount of blood to get infected?

Oh, that reasoning was just taken away by Gubaba and Beto, so I guess I got nuthin'. I guess that kinda destroys my hopes that Sheryl and Alto were doing it like bunnies between episodes 22 to 24.

I'm still 100% sure that they had sex the night in ep 22, though, and will chalk it up to teenage hormones and passion. My guess is that Alto was a bit cross at having to get a shot of anti V-Type disease medicine, but the night made up for it.
Old 2010-09-19, 08:01   Link #6185
wisteria233

Quote:
Ah, you need a concentrated amount of blood to get infected?

Oh, that reasoning was just taken away by Gubaba and Beto, so I guess I got nuthin'. I guess that kinda destroys my hopes that Sheryl and Alto were doing it like bunnies between episodes 22 to 24.

I'm still 100% sure that they had sex the night in ep 22, though, and will chalk it up to teenage hormones and passion. My guess is that Alto was a bit cross at having to get a shot of anti V-Type disease medicine, but the night made up for it.
Not really while the virus is easily treatable (as said by Luca) in its early stages, she probably still wanted to avoid getting him infected (again). In other words she might have become scared of infecting him after episode 22, the last thing you want to do is infect your loved one with a virus. Also there is a slight time skip between episodes 22 and 23 giving time for those kind of feelings and worries to develop.
wisteria233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-19, 08:24   Link #6186
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisteria233 View Post
Not really while the virus is easily treatable (as said by Luca) in its early stages, she probably still wanted to avoid getting him infected (again). In other words she might have become scared of infecting him after episode 22, the last thing you want to do is infect your loved one with a virus. Also there is a slight time skip between episodes 22 and 23 giving time for those kind of feelings and worries to develop.
Which is what I just said in the post above.
Old 2010-09-19, 09:21   Link #6187
BetoJR
D-d-don't look!!!
*Artist

Now you're talking.

Old 2010-09-19, 09:50   Link #6188
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
I'm OK with this.
Yot-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-19, 09:57   Link #6189
justavisitor

I rather think that Sheryl knows that a certain brand of product can offer utmost protection...after all, companies tend to find celebrities to promote their products so it wouldn't be surprising that Sheryl is able to choose one brand that she knows she can count on it...

OK, I stop
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
Old 2010-09-19, 10:19   Link #6190
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by justavisitor View Post
I rather think that Sheryl knows that a certain brand of product can offer utmost protection...after all, companies tend to find celebrities to promote their products so it wouldn't be surprising that Sheryl is able to choose one brand that she knows she can count on it...

OK, I stop
And Macross Condoms have pinpoint barriers for the ULTIMATE protection!
Yot-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-19, 10:36   Link #6191
Irisiel

Clown!Ranka looks so determined!

On the potential sex scene and protection. Didn't Yasaburo assume that Sheryl and Alto were close and that's why he went "wanna see her? Come home!" at Alto. And they did have their maybe-sex!scene in a room with a futon.

Maybe Yasa-nii didn't want his adorable little brother to have unprotected sex (the scandal that would bring to the family! *gasp!*) with his maybe-girlfriend, and therefore made sure that the maybe-girlfriend's bedroom had a supply of whatever future science fiction protection they have?

Though I now have a scene in my head in which Sheryl moves to Alto's place and Yasaburo shows up with a housewarming gift basket ("Wait, this is-!" "A silver bullet, it's a type of vibrator and it's used in this-" "I'm NOT listening!" "Really, Alto, toys can be such fun-" "NOT LISTENING!" "Maybe Sheryl-san would like to demonstrate for you sometime? Oh dear, here's a tissue, you wouldn't want to faint from the blood loss before I've shown you THIS!" *Thunk!* "Alto?").

That is to say that the Saotome's place doesn't equip their guest bedrooms with condoms/whatever they use in Macross' future, which they might already do.

And yeah, V-type virus only becomes a danger after the initial stages, otherwise it's quite easily treated when compared to several real world diseases (though there might be a recommendation not to be infected again before the first infection is completely out of your system).

Oh, and to be on topic, random crossover fanart:

One of these days I'm going to do Ranka and Pizzazz fanart (poor Ranka, but I'm sure that if survived Grace, she can survive a spoiled diva).
Old 2010-09-19, 10:40   Link #6192
justavisitor

Sheryl--use this one, Alto..
Alto--Is this the brand you are selling in TV??
Sheryl--Yes, Macross Condom --Forget the past, remember this present, and you don't have to worry a thing in the future
Old 2010-09-19, 23:11   Link #6193
Swampstorm
Lovestruck Fool?
*Fansubber

To this day, I'm still unclear on why people envision the V-virus as an STI. I suppose that there might be something that I'm missing in the translation, but an infection can be transmitted by a "bodily fluid" (i.e. by respiratory droplets, blood, etc.) and yet not be transmitted through sexual contact. Think of WNV, rather than HIV.

Furthermore, setting aside the possibility of a translation error, Luca appears to think that the V-virus is a bacterium. So it's entirely possible that the writers don't entirely know what they're on about.

There's something to be said for the principle of Chekhov's gun, though: "One must not place a STI on stage unless someone is planning to fire the load from their, er... gun."

Old 2010-09-19, 23:55   Link #6194
raile
<3
*Author

Old 2010-09-20, 03:30   Link #6195
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Then there's this (i apologize for posting this ).

& a personal favorite. <333

Old 2010-09-20, 04:14   Link #6196
cheesie
Dame Cheesie
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampstorm View Post
So it's entirely possible that the writers don't entirely know what they're on about.
I'm pretty surprised no one else raised up that possibility actually - but I suppose most are content in humoring it as Space AIDS rather than dive straight into the nitty-gritty side of it.

On that note, looking forward to much eye-glazing tl;dr.
cheesie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-20, 05:27   Link #6197
BetoJR
D-d-don't look!!!
*Artist

Wink

Quote:
To this day, I'm still unclear on why people envision the V-virus as an STI. I suppose that there might be something that I'm missing in the translation, but an infection can be transmitted by a "bodily fluid" (i.e. by respiratory droplets, blood, etc.) and yet not be transmitted through sexual contact. Think of WNV, rather than HIV.
I don't think a disease that can be transmitted through breast feeding was the best example to use, in this case...

Last edited by BetoJR; 2010-09-20 at 07:09.
Old 2010-09-20, 08:15   Link #6198
Swampstorm
Lovestruck Fool?
*Fansubber

Given that Sheryl wasn't breastfeeding at the time, I don't see how transmission by breast milk would affect her sexual relations with other people.
Old 2010-09-20, 08:47   Link #6199
magnuskn

Wait, so what Yot-Chan and Beto told me ( if it is transmittable by bodily fluids, it is 100% surely transmittable through sex ) was wrong?

I recant my change of opinion from yesterday completely. They did have sex like bunnies.
Old 2010-09-20, 08:59   Link #6200
BetoJR
D-d-don't look!!!
*Artist

Quote:
Given that Sheryl wasn't breastfeeding at the time, I don't see how transmission by breast milk would affect her sexual relations with other people.
All I meant was that it was a bad example.

Bodily fluids are exchanged during sex, whether you want it to or not - there's not only the love juices themselves, but like you also pointed out, respiratory droplets and other things like saliva, etc. So, yeah, I maintain my position (and feel strongly backed by some familiar medical knowledge) that a disease communicable via bodily fluids has a very high chance of being transmitted while one's having sex with an infected person. Be it trough something like sperm, the female bliss equivalent or otherwise.

I really don't see why you're so against this.

Also, we're hijacking the thread...

Last edited by BetoJR; 2010-09-20 at 09:14.

Tags
images, macross