AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: -Your- picks for the best songs in Macross Frontier [Multiple-pick Option Enabled]
Welcome To My FanClub's Night! 67 21.41%
Shinkuu no Diamond Crevasse 108 34.50%
Aimo ~Tori no Hito 83 26.52%
Infinity 84 26.84%
Diamond Crevasse ~Sheryl Only♥ 183 58.47%
Northern Cross 150 47.92%
Anata no Oto 55 17.57%
Seikan Hikōu 82 26.20%
Yousei 98 31.31%
Ai Oboete Imasu ka ~Ranka 76 24.28%
Watashi no Kare wa Pilot 30 9.58%
Lion 165 52.72%
Diamond Crevasse 50/50 36 11.50%
Aoi no Ether 49 15.65%
Neko Nikki 20 6.39%
Nyan Nyan Service Medley 101 32.27%
What 'bout my star?@Formo 109 34.82%
Triangler ~ Maaya Sakomoto 71 22.68%
Iteza☆Gogo Kuji Don't be late 88 28.12%
What 'bout my star? ~Sheryl 78 24.92%
Aimo OC 52 16.61%
Triangular - Duet - 93 29.71%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 313. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-03-11, 22:58   Link #2581
wisteria233
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New York, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
Maybe she's just happy that she loves him. I don't know. The single cover was Ranka crying after/during the rain. The whole merry tune vs the depressing lyrics are wtf indeed.
Maybe, it just sounds so strange to hear her sound so cheerful even though her words are so depressing. Its like she's saying

haha we'll probably never see each other again, after all you like someone else. See you when I see you *smiles and waves cheerfully*
wisteria233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-11, 23:08   Link #2582
Thess
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Kind of like Sou Da Yo, only less cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisteria233 View Post
haha we'll probably never see each other again, after all you like someone else. See you when I see you *smiles and waves cheerfully*
It's still a welcome change from I WANNA DIE overreaction. Maybe the lyrics are trying to portray how Movie Ranka is so unlike her TV series counterpart. I like Aoi No Ether better, though, even with the emo characterization.
__________________

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Thess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-11, 23:09   Link #2583
mike_s_6
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
Listening to the OST for a second time, I gotta say, I'm disappointed in something. They promised us more "Ranka mature songs" or something like that if IIRC and where are they?
Well let's hunt whoever it is who thought it's a good idea to have a magical girl theme for her in the movie!
mike_s_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-11, 23:13   Link #2584
Thess
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_s_6 View Post
Well let's hunt whoever it is who thought it's a good idea to have a magical girl theme for her in the movie!
I like the magical girl song and I think the sequence is super cute! But... I'd like to see other facet of Ranka's singing besides of ballad and moe?
__________________

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Thess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-11, 23:39   Link #2585
marce_chany
Rikuo x Tsurara 4 ever!!!
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
But may'n says that one of the songs of her new album will be in the movie and that is phonic nation she said she had decided to put in the movie because was a very nice song to the ear and very good background for a song...for me is amazing and I like to imagine that the song is in the background while displaying a photo album with what happened at the wedding of Sheryl and alto, ranka graduating, is a song I guess the pictures of all the characters in the future, especially I guess funny memories

here's Phonic Nation - may'n

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDNABqzdjkc

hopefully Yot-chan can tell me if it is true if this song comes on the film
marce_chany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-11, 23:48   Link #2586
wisteria233
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New York, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
It's still a welcome change from I WANNA DIE overreaction. Maybe the lyrics are trying to portray how Movie Ranka is so unlike her TV series counterpart. I like Aoi No Ether better, though, even with the emo characterization.
Yeah I think its even more discerning that the song is sung like this rather than being a ballad. Come to think of it this song would sound a heck of a lot better as a ballad considering its message is just the same as Aoi no Ether a young girl who realizes that the person she likes doesn't feel the same way about her. I now wait for oncoming LULZ of people who don't even bother to look up the lyrics using this song for their favorite romantic couple in an AMV of some sort, just like they did with Sailor Moon and Tokyo Mew Mew with Shounen Heart while using.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
I like the magical girl song and I think the sequence is super cute! But... I'd like to see other facet of Ranka's singing besides of ballad and moe?
Yeah I wished that for her too, but I guess we'll just have to make do with upgraded personality and maturity movie Ranka. Though it would be awesome to hear movie Ranka sing more ballads.

And I still want to hear the entire Diamond Crevasse in acapella, because darn it May'n sounds beautiful while singing it. But alas
wisteria233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-11, 23:50   Link #2587
raile
<3
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Lala rainbow land~
1.) Kindan no Elixir - Still not my favorite song, but it grows catchy when you keep listening to it. Plus it's strange arrangement makes you go back for more.

2.) Niji Iro Kuma Kuma - Why do I think of Care Bears when I hear the song? But joke aside, I think it's a nice song. Though I find it more suited for a shoujo anime like CCS than with Macross.

3.) Koi wa Dogfight (FIRST LIVE in Atlantis Dome) - I actually prefer the shorter version. Because the full one makes me feel like I'm listening to the same thing as it goes on. It's kinda draggy for me.

4.) Seikan Hikou (LIVE in Alcatraz) - I actually prefer this one. Not too overdone with the cutesy voice. I also like the arrangement here better.

5.) Get it on~Kousouku Climax - Non-Engrish please!

6.) Tori Aimo - I'm sorry, but I've disliked all Aimo songs since a long time ago.

7.) Houkago Overflow - The lyrics really do contrast with the upbeat tune. But I like to think that Ranka is singing in a way that says "Things did not go my way, but I am still thankful" or perhaps it's a song that keeps a facade of a "I'm fine (even though I'm not)."

8.) Nyan Nyan Final Attack Frontier Greatest☆Hits! - Not my favorite Nyan Nyan Medley I have to admit. I liked the Northern Cross bit though and the Obelisk duet at the end. Also, Universal Bunny seemed waay out of place here.

9.) Sayonara no Tsubasa ~ the end of triangle - VALKYRIIIIIIIAAA!!!

10.) Hoshi Kira - NakaMegu's vocals are good here, but I have to agree with ippus on this one that it isn't memorable. Plus there's another ballad that NakaMegu sings in another anime that's even better.

11.) dShudistab - Hmmm...this one doesn't really sink a hook on me. XD

12.) Diamond Crevasse ~ thank you, Frontier - I love every Diamond Crevasse piece out there (excluding 50/50). This one is more subdued but it's still lovely~

***

F refrain - ;_____; Uhuhuhuhuhu....this is the most repeated track I have from the OST. It seems to tell a story for me. Plus, as I've said before -- the part where it reaches Diamond Crevasse (Kami-sama ni...) just gets my heart every time.
__________________
raile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-12, 02:21   Link #2588
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: USA
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisteria233 View Post
I read the lyrics for Houkago overflow, and now I'm wondering why the heck it was sung the way it was. Its way too happy for its subject matter. Its not uplifting at all, its about a young girl who likes a guy who she knows doesn't like her back, and she probably won't be able to see again. So why does NakaMegu sound so happy when singing it?
Ranka does what Alto told her Sheryl did: puts on a mask. Off-stage, she's probably sobbing while thinking of the lyrics to the song; then she goes out and sings with all her heart. That is the way to be a true idol. That's why it sounds so happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugia_Tsuyu View Post
First of all, the songs are not quite as good as other soundtracks. It may have to do with lack of Sheryl's songs, 'cause I never really like Ranka's overly happy voice/songs much (even though there are some sad songs from her...it still sounded happy)
Lack of Sheryl songs? Let me count how MANY Sheryl gets in serious or long songs over the course of the entire franchise: 20!
How many does Ranka get in serious or long songs: 12!
So, Sheryl has WAY more songs than Ranka. It's kinda blessing to hear more of Nakajima's songs in this album. Considering the fact that Sheryl's franchise pushes Kawamori to make more Sheryl songs and we tend to forget that Ranka is supposed to replace Minmei, yet she doesn't; for Kawamori never makes lots of songs for her. Excluding the ones like My Boyfriend is a Pilot and Ai Oboete Imasu ka; Ranka only sings 12 serious/long songs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugia_Tsuyu View Post
May'n...I love the girl's voice, period. She's awesome.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
Listening to the OST for a second time, I gotta say, I'm disappointed in something. They promised us more "Ranka mature songs" or something like that if IIRC and where are they? Without counting her duets with Sheryl (that are Sheryl's songs, anyway... written by her or thought for her).

Besides Hoshi Kira... I mean. And still think Sou Da Yo had a little more of adult, IMO, more wistful tune. I loved Niji-Iro Kuma Kuma to bits, because it's fun but it's not mature... Houkago Overflow, Seikan Hikou and Koi wa Dogfight don't really... display this new mature songs I had in mind. I think Songbird from Cosmic Cuune is a better example.
My thoughts on this is that Nakajima can't really pull off the vocals like May'n can, as she's lost her childish voice and must strain to sound like Ranka again, and so, they left these "serious" songs out. Hoshi Kira is kinda like Ranka's version of Diamond Crevasse. But notice that most of Nakajima's songs now must have loud music so she can raise her voice back to Ranka's level. It's so sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
Maybe she's just happy that she loves him. I don't know. The single cover was Ranka crying after/during the rain. The whole merry tune vs the depressing lyrics are wtf indeed.
I disagree. Once again, I said it above: Nakajima grew up in the 3 years they took off. So she can't really perform as Ranka anymore. So she raises her voice. But also, she personifies Ranka's true goal: to be like Sheryl. And so, the songs sounds happy because she doesn't want her fans to see her depressed. "A mask" as Alto calls it in Movie 1, or hiding appearing differently off-stage than on. This personifies Sheryl in Movie 1 by Alto after Ranka asks him.

But yes, the tone... kinda WTF-ish.

Last edited by LoveMeKags; 2011-12-07 at 05:08.
LoveMeKags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-12, 02:41   Link #2589
Ceci-chan
(・∀ノゝ)~キラ☆
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Idaho, USA
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
Maybe she's just happy that she loves him. I don't know. The single cover was Ranka crying after/during the rain. The whole merry tune vs the depressing lyrics are wtf indeed.
I've heard quite a few songs that are set up like that, the ones that come to mind being "Goodbye Happiness" by Utada Hikaru and "Kimi no Shiranai Monogatari" by Supercell.

It might just be me, but I think that the "happy BGM/sad lyrics" combo isn't that uncommon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragaki View Post
I don't really know where to post this, but if anyone is concerned,
Nakajima Megumi, May'n, and Yuuichi Nakamura are okay.
They updated their blog/twitter.
Nakamura's been really active in posting updates about the earthquake, too, either himself or by re-tweeting. I'm glad to know that all three are safe!
__________________
ヤック でカルチャ

|facebook.twitter|
Ceci-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-12, 02:45   Link #2590
MichiNekoChan
::::D
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: So Cal
Send a message via AIM to MichiNekoChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by raile View Post
F refrain - ;_____; Uhuhuhuhuhu....this is the most repeated track I have from the OST. It seems to tell a story for me. Plus, as I've said before -- the part where it reaches Diamond Crevasse (Kami-sama ni...) just gets my heart every time.
Really? I haven't caught the Diamond Crevasse in it at all (Maybe because I have the habit of zoning while listening to songs @_@)

Or Is it just instrumental part of the song slipped in?

I do like the little "Ai Oboete Imasu Ka" at the end however.
MichiNekoChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-12, 02:47   Link #2591
raile
<3
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Lala rainbow land~
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiNekoChan View Post
Really? I haven't caught the Diamond Crevasse in it at all (Maybe because I have the habit of zoning while listening to songs @_@)

Or Is it just instrumental part of the song slipped in?

I do like the little "Ai Oboete Imasu Ka" at the end however.
Yeah, it's an instrumental, listen for the instrumental lyrics of "Kami-sama ni..."

;__;
__________________
raile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-12, 02:57   Link #2592
Thess
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
Lack of Sheryl songs? Let me count how MANY Sheryl gets in serious or long songs over the course of the entire franchise: 20!
How many does Ranka get in serious or long songs: 12!
This is true, sadly. I was expecting a mini Album for Ranka, but no luck (yet?). Only the singles which are still NOT Obelisk or Universal Bunny or Pink Monsoon level. Sou Da Yo is a nice song, however, and gave me false hopes that Ranka would launch an album.

She needs I don't know, more variety? Sheryl does perky pop like songs, rock like songs, kind of country ones, ballads (of different intensity), techno ones... Ranka seems stuck in one or two genres when she's not doing covers.

I was waiting for Ranka's Love Drifts Away. But Sheryl already covered that one right? Twice. With Diamond Crevasse and Sayonara no Tsubasa (which both sung but she wrote it). Maybe Obelisk. Star Sparkle is her Diamond Crevasse? I need to listen again and check the lyrics, I wish it had more of epic edge (it's pretty).

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
So, Sheryl has WAY more songs than Ranka. It's kinda blessing to hear more of Nakajima's songs in this album. Considering the fact that Sheryl's franchise pushes Kawamori to make more Sheryl songs and we tend to forget that Ranka is supposed to replace Minmei, yet she doesn't; for Kawamori never makes lots of songs for her. Excluding the ones like My Boyfriend is a Pilot and Ai Oboete Imasu ka; Ranka only sings 12 serious/long songs.
Both are based on Minmay though... not just Ranka. Didn't Kawamori admitted the incidental likeness Ranka has to her SDFM version while Sheryl has it to her DYRL version?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
Um, it's been 3 years since they did the soundtrack for the series. Nakajima grew up. So she lost her childish voice that originally played Ranka. It's easy to realize this in the first movie. So, yes, she's still trying to bring Ranka back; and so she strains her voice to do so. We should be proud of this, it shows her dedication to keep this role till the end.
I think it fits Movie Ranka better, because she's not really as childish. She has a mature kind of sweetness.


Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
What about Kawamori and the staff itself? I heard Tokyo got hit really bad!
I hope they are okay.
__________________

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Thess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-12, 04:29   Link #2593
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: USA
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
This is true, sadly. I was expecting a mini Album for Ranka, but no luck (yet?). Only the singles which are still NOT Obelisk or Universal Bunny or Pink Monsoon level. Sou Da Yo is a nice song, however, and gave me false hopes that Ranka would launch an album.
I exclude those two (Ai Oboete Imasu ka & My Boyfriend is a Pilot) because they are NOT her songs. But Aimo, in the series, is one that Ranka was given by her mother. It belonged to no one but her in the series, as she was the only one who remembered it. In the movie, Sheryl gets it because the alternative retelling made her past connected to Ranka. So, as far as I'm concerned, it's not SHERYL'S song but Ranka's. But, the O.C. version is probably Grace's.

Well, if you added all her "job" songs like Nyan-Nyan and Dynam Chougoukin and the others; she might have around 15 short, commercial songs. But those were job songs, not the ones she used in concerts or as points of the storyline.

I have no idea if there are more Ranka songs that Kawamori intends to release (and in terms of the current disaster in Japan, we don't know WHAT will happen in Macross, as I assume the studio was in Tokyo and they lost the Sayonara no Tsubasa stuff in the Tsunami), but we should keep hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
She needs I don't know, more variety? Sheryl does perky pop like songs, rock like songs, kind of country ones, ballads (of different intensity), techno ones... Ranka seems stuck in one or two genres when she's not doing covers.
Ranka sings song about things she's experiences. Whether or not she wrote it, there is no proof that she just picked it up out of nowhere and redubbed it; which leads me to believe she thinks of the song and then tells her band or Elmo about, who writes it out. Then again, how can we say she doesn't write them when we don't really see it. It doesn't portray to the storyline, so why waste the minutes upon it when you already have a budget on the rest?

But for one, Anata no Oto is about life. Seikan Hikou is about her love for Alto's flying and dream to fly, and less about herself. Sou da yo is about longing, which I can understand, given the fact she's like a modern day Minmei dealing with Hikaru being so far away; but instead of drowning in her fanclub, she longs for him. I think that gives her a little boost from those who said she was a complete Minmei remake. On topic again, we have to exclude Aimo, since it wasn't truly hers to begin with, but songs like Niji-Iro Kuma Kuma hold that innocence and childish behavior that some people still like. Hoshi Kira is like Diamond Crevasse, holding a sad and longing tone to it, the lyrics about longing as well; and lost love. Given where Hoshi Kira appears,
Spoiler for movie ending:


Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
I was waiting for Ranka's Love Drifts Away. But Sheryl already covered that one right? Twice. With Diamond Crevasse and Sayonara no Tsubasa (which both sung but she wrote it). Maybe Obelisk. Star Sparkle is her Diamond Crevasse? I need to listen again and check the lyrics, I wish it had more of epic edge (it's pretty).
Actually, I'm gonna say that's a play of the storyline. As Ranka doesn't really get a chance to think about it that way. She's too absorbed in becoming a pro and using the "mask" that Alto pointed out to her in Movie 1 that she doesn't think it's appropriate to use a "sad and lonely" song like Diamond Crevasse. I don't blame her, given the situation.

But, I don't think Ranka really wants to dwell on Love Drifts Away because of the fact she hates thinking about being alone or people dying. So, she tries to make everyone happy with her cheerful songs. In such situations where death is possible, this is a gift of hope. I love her for it.

I answered the Hoshi Kara question above.

I have to say that Ranka is too energetic and too deep a believer to sing Love Drifts Away-like songs. Unlike Sheryl, she's been surrounded by love and life, not thrust into the cold Galaxy. She wouldn't truly know where to start when singing a "he doesn't love me" or "he'll die, I wish I hugged him once more" song. Even though Ranka experienced death time and time again via her past or even her brother's job, Ranka never truly experienced romance until she met Alto; unlike Sheryl, who might've had more experience. Which, for What 'bout my Star? and Iteza Gogo Kuji Don't Be Late, this fact may possibly be truthful, since the 2nd appears before she meets Alto (Ep1). You see what I mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
Both are based on Minmay though... not just Ranka. Didn't Kawamori admitted the incidental likeness Ranka has to her SDFM version while Sheryl has it to her DYRL version?
That's why they are excluded.

Sheryl, to me, started out as a Minmei - totally absorbed in her career and her fanclub - and then she met Alto, whom turned her life around and made her Misa - absorbed in her job but also concerned about him, wanting a normal life.

Ranka, to me, starts out as Misa - totally absorbed in her job, taken aback by Alto's comments about her childish behavior (totally the "old woman" scene from SDFM) and worries not only about the safety of her brother but Alto as well, then she becomes Minmei as she's separated from Alto - not letting Sheryl's relationship with him bother her too much until the end when she sees them together and confirms Nanase's report.

To me, the characters swapped quite a bit from their SDFM roles. For Ranka, she swapped back and forth between Misa and Minmei before becoming Minmei fully. For Sheryl, she swapped back and forth between Minmei and Misa before becoming Misa fully. And the only one who didn't change: Alto, who was Hikaru.

Kawamori loved to do that, it seemed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
I think it fits Movie Ranka better, because she's not really as childish. She has a mature kind of sweetness.
I still think it's sad that Ranka never does a sad song, but then again, what is there to long for yet up until the end of the movie? Certainly nothing, as she's surrounded by her friends and loved, even with the war going on. Even knowing that Sheryl is Alto's possible lover, she still sings of hope - and in a ship so plagued by war, this gives hope of a brighter tomorrow. It shows spirit, and Kawamori wants to keep that.

Last edited by LoveMeKags; 2011-12-07 at 05:10.
LoveMeKags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-12, 05:45   Link #2594
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: USA
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiNekoChan View Post
Really? I haven't caught the Diamond Crevasse in it at all (Maybe because I have the habit of zoning while listening to songs @_@)

Or Is it just instrumental part of the song slipped in?

I do like the little "Ai Oboete Imasu Ka" at the end however.
It is instrumental: kami-sama ni koi wo shiteta koro wa konna wakare ga kuru towa omottenakatta yo
That's the lyrics that fit in that instrumental spot.

I'm going to assume this is the last music played at the end of the movie, and Ranka's song was the credits. So Ranka is singing Ai Oboete Imasu ka as she thinks "if Alto-kun comes back, surely Sheryl-san will wake up." I guess it wasn't Aimo after all. T___T Oh well, it IS "Do you remember love?" after all.

One of the instrumentals reminds me of Aoi no Ether in the beginning, or perhaps even Northern Cross.
LoveMeKags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-12, 09:07   Link #2595
BetoJR
D-d-d-d-d-don't!!!
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Fortaleza-CE, Brazil
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
Tokyo was buried under water, and so, I think they might've lost the movie in this process.
Where did you get that? Tokyo felt some mild effects of the earthquake, but it was not really affected by the Tsunami. Hopefully, everyone is okay there and elsewhere.
__________________
It's always a great time to immerse yourself in Deculture love!
All hail the Empress!!!

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-12, 12:43   Link #2596
wisteria233
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New York, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post


One thing: the original was just named Aimo.
And another: in the series, Ranka was the ONLY one with the memory of her past, and so, the song belongs to HER only, with the exception of her mother, Ranshe. Sheryl being given the song in the movie was Kawamori's choice and since it's in an alternative retelling; it doesn't count as her song OR a duet. So, no matter how you look at it, Ranka is the one who owns this song even if it is an alien song.
But I will say that this version of the song makes her voice sound so much more adult-like rather than the original.
Actually the song doesn't belong to her only in the franchise considering that 1) Ranka didn't write it and 2) She learned it from her mother. Its another in universe cover.





Quote:
Um, it's been 3 years since they did the soundtrack for the series. Nakajima grew up. So she lost her childish voice that originally played Ranka. It's easy to realize this in the first movie. So, yes, she's still trying to bring Ranka back; and so she strains her voice to do so. We should be proud of this, it shows her dedication to keep this role till the end.
Actually the reason why movie Ranka gets to have a different type of song is more because of her personality being different from tv series Ranka. I remember seeing it in a Yoko Kanno interview that she believed that tv series Ranka was too immature to sing that type of song. Remember when Yoko Kanno writes the songs for the girls to sing she has to make sure that said songs actually fit their characters. Nakajima on the other hand...

her character is the blond in the back.


It should be known that the character she plays as in Basquash, Citron is similar to Ranka and yet different. Despite her appearance that character in Basquash is very mature, and sounds much older than Ranka when speaking.

And as much as I talk about Houkago Overflow not suiting its lyrics I actually cant not imagine tv series Ranka singing that type of song. As the singer in Houkago Overflow sounds as though she's much more aware of the feelings of the person she likes. And even when you consider that the lack of variety in Ranka songs can also be attributed to her being an in universe fairly new singer. Which means she probably has less freedom with choosing the songs that she wants to sing, and significantly less experience in singing so her having the ability to sing some more difficult songs (like some of Sheryl's) is currently not within the realm of possibility.

Anata no Oto is also about love, not life.

Last edited by wisteria233; 2011-03-12 at 13:06.
wisteria233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-12, 14:11   Link #2597
Miyo-chan01
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Canada
Age: 28
Well I've been lurking for a long long while and decided to try my hand at translating Sayonara no Tsubasa-End of triangle . Mostly from what I understand from the meaning of the words sung, time spent with my dictionary and online translation tools. Meaning this is a rough translation so I could be wrong about some of the wording. Feel free to tweak it, use it, correct it, just as long as you say you used my rough draft as a base. I'm going to put it in a spoiler tag just in case it spoils the movie somehow for some who had resisted being spoiled.



Spoiler for rough lyrics to sayonara no tsubasa:

Last edited by Miyo-chan01; 2011-03-13 at 01:40. Reason: note added and lyrics updated
Miyo-chan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-12, 14:36   Link #2598
wisteria233
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New York, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyo-chan01 View Post
Well I've been lurking for a long long while and decided to try my hand at translating Sayonara no Tsubasa-End of triangle . Mostly from what I understand from the meaning of the words sung, time spent with my dictionary and online translation tools. Meaning this is a rough translation so I could be wrong about some of the wording. Feel free to tweak it, use it, correct it, just as long as you say you used my rough draft as a base. I'm going to put it in a spoiler tag just in case it spoils the movie somehow for some who had resisted being spoiled.



Spoiler for rough lyrics to sayonara no tsubasa:
Wow its really puts Sheryl's feelings when she made the song into perspective thank you Miyo-chan01
wisteria233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-12, 14:53   Link #2599
Miyo-chan01
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Canada
Age: 28
Your welcome wisteria! I also think her feelings really show through this song. Its like the sum of everything she feels is put into this song.
Spoiler for sheryl's song writing ways in the movie so spoiler:
Miyo-chan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-12, 15:37   Link #2600
ippus
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In a hole
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
I think it returns her innocent feeling since the Nyan-Nyan commercial is cute out. Remember, in Ep1, she did the special Nyan-Nyan dance and shocked Alto? She looked innocent and weird; but Alto only points out "weird." This brings us back to that episode. That's why I like it. It shows her inner child more.
...I'm all for Ranka being cute. Honestly, I feel like it's the only way Nakajima might ever be "voice acting" as Ranka rather than just singing as Nakajima, which is what she does pretty much all the time now, being Nakajima when she's meant to be Ranka. That being said the song just sounds awfully contrived for me >_> I remember some while back someone claimed Nakajima has a bell tone- she really doesn't. Most of her high notes are strained and just as a whole tune it's kind of luke warm. Someone mentioned it sounded like something fitting a mahou shoujo like CCS- I agree, but probably an ending theme rather than an opening. Just...blah :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
I like it too. Most of the people who heard this song said they didn't like it. It has that techno that we all miss. I pair this song with Universal Bunny in no time flat. They both have the same style of lyrics.
Lyrics maybe but most of the Sheryl songs were sexy so that doesn't really say very much...
I think it's not as good as UB, and matched with the weirdass nurse attire it just doesn't really make enough of an impact seeing as it's her "main" song, but as an individual track I think it's pretty good. I swear it's been stuck in my head for so much of yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
It's in there because she sang it in the movie, right in Alcatraz. Look back at my question that Yot-chan answered. But it did join the Seikan Hikou with Seikan Eve. And her vocals were a lot better than expected with this one.
The question was rhetorical.
I didn't particularly like Seikan Eve either, and honestly it really wasn't all that different from the original except for a few choppy bits. The original had more character, and yes it was cutesier- but really? I don't see why anyone complains about that. She's a moe little cute archetype, why anyone expects her to start sounding mature is kind of beyond me. Acting with maturity and looking/sounding mature are totally different things >_>

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
One thing: the original was just named Aimo.
And another: in the series, Ranka was the ONLY one with the memory of her past, and so, the song belongs to HER only, with the exception of her mother, Ranshe. Sheryl being given the song in the movie was Kawamori's choice and since it's in an alternative retelling; it doesn't count as her song OR a duet. So, no matter how you look at it, Ranka is the one who owns this song even if it is an alien song.
But I will say that this version of the song makes her voice sound so much more adult-like rather than the original.
...What on earth does this have to do with anything. I was talking about song tracks wtf. ZZzzzzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
It's actually like Diamond Crevasse. The lyrics are quite sad. I'm assuming this is the closing credit songs, as it sure seems like it. To me, this is Nakajima's fully Ranka version of Diamond Crevasse. And that's saying a lot, since I can't NOT listen to Diamond Crevasse once a day, for it is beautiful.[/SPOILER]
Oh I beg to differ. Diamond Crevasse starts gently and drags people out into total emotional hammering. I remember bawling so hard at mikhails death- less because I was sad about Mikhail (who I honestly cared very little for) but because the song set the mood so well. Hoshi Kira...is flat. It's pretty and just boring.

"Sou Da You" was more interesting than Hoshi Kira would ever be.
ippus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
music

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:49.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.