AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2006-01-04, 05:55   Link #1
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New York, USA
Starship Operators

It is a shame that this thread was entirely lost in the Dec2005 forum crash. I just saw episodes 10 and 11. Very intense, very interesting episodes. I'd like to add my commentary to what was there before. So, checking google's cache I find that some people were discussing these episodes in raws. I'll post my comments in the next post. This one will be devoted to resurrecting relevant posts from the old thread. First episode 10:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemian
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
^ I think "oyasan" should do

but at this moment I want him to die
Spoiler for episode10:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO
mmm....Episode 10 was fun.
Spoiler for episode 10:

"Better to have loved and lost, then to have never loved at all..."

Banzai!
Not many comments really, but people had a lot more to say about episode 11:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7alski
Just saw episode 11. It's the best space battle ever.
Spoiler for episode 11:


The physics part of the battle is just awsome
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
Spoiler for episode 11:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuliao
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yebyosh
Spoiler for Ze Battle in Epizode 11:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shouki
Spoiler for Ze Battle in Epizode 11:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
Spoiler for ep11:
Hmm... about the fansubs... do they still use Escort Ship or do they use Guard Ship now, like shown in the OP?
__________________

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-04, 05:55   Link #2
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New York, USA
First, regarding episode 10.... this was more personal tragedy than plot in this episode

Spoiler for episode 10:


Then there was episode 11 where Starship Operators seriously failed my expectations. This is the real reason I wanted to post here. In the course of this series I have been overjoyed that SO has continuously managed to avoid overusing one of the worst of SciFi cliches. That cliche? When up against an insolvable problem, they simply create a technical solution. From Star Trek to Farscape it is a time honored cliche that they can simply build any plot device necessary. I hate this. In SO, Shinon has consistently created practical strategic solutions to all of their problems. She has always had to deal with the limits of technology. I have really admired the writers of this show for not taking any shortcuts.

Finally I have been failed!

In order to win this battle they simply whipped up a brand new technical advance that the ship never had before. I don't care if this was only possible because of their incredible computer genius. It was cheating. The writers cheated because they wrote themselves into a corner. I'm shocked that only dreamless felt that this was a bit cheap, but even dreamless was only surprised that nobody else had this ability. And that argument went away once it was pointed out that the Amaterasu really did have superior computing power to everyone else. I suppose that he simply expected this sort of thing to happen in SciFi shows. He was sucked in by the cliche. Am I the only one who feels that this show betrayed itself here?
__________________

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-04, 11:47   Link #3
kari-no-sugata
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
First, regarding episode 10.... this was more personal tragedy than plot in this episode

Spoiler for episode 10:
Spoiler:



Quote:
Spoiler:
Yes, worked rather better than the "call from home" strategy.


Quote:
Then there was episode 11 where Starship Operators seriously failed my expectations. This is the real reason I wanted to post here. In the course of this series I have been overjoyed that SO has continuously managed to avoid overusing one of the worst of SciFi cliches. That cliche? When up against an insolvable problem, they simply create a technical solution. From Star Trek to Farscape it is a time honored cliche that they can simply build any plot device necessary. I hate this. In SO, Shinon has consistently created practical strategic solutions to all of their problems. She has always had to deal with the limits of technology. I have really admired the writers of this show for not taking any shortcuts.

Finally I have been failed!
When I first watched this ep, I was actually laughing like crazy when watching the battle, because it was so short and sweet. Often I get really annoyed by similar things, but I didn't mind. (And when you consider how silly the basic "get sponsored by Starship Channel" idea is at first blush...) In a way it was an extension of her solution from the last major battle - just change the "parameters", in this case, making it practical to turn quickly, showing just how limiting inertia etc is in these battles. Shinon effectively created g-dampening, something that would actually be really useful in general and not some kind of once-off. Though the side-effects did more harm to the ship than all the enemy attacks to date - she really was pushing things to breaking point.


Quote:
In order to win this battle they simply whipped up a brand new technical advance that the ship never had before. I don't care if this was only possible because of their incredible computer genius. It was cheating. The writers cheated because they wrote themselves into a corner. I'm shocked that only dreamless felt that this was a bit cheap, but even dreamless was only surprised that nobody else had this ability. And that argument went away once it was pointed out that the Amaterasu really did have superior computing power to everyone else. I suppose that he simply expected this sort of thing to happen in SciFi shows. He was sucked in by the cliche. Am I the only one who feels that this show betrayed itself here?
I wonder what happened in the novels. (Is the novel series even finished?)

The only thing that really bugged me about ep 11 was that the enemy captains were SO easily fooled.
kari-no-sugata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-04, 13:19   Link #4
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
First, regarding episode 10.... this was more personal tragedy than plot in this episode

Spoiler for episode 10:


Then there was episode 11 where Starship Operators seriously failed my expectations. This is the real reason I wanted to post here. In the course of this series I have been overjoyed that SO has continuously managed to avoid overusing one of the worst of SciFi cliches. That cliche? When up against an insolvable problem, they simply create a technical solution. From Star Trek to Farscape it is a time honored cliche that they can simply build any plot device necessary. I hate this. In SO, Shinon has consistently created practical strategic solutions to all of their problems. She has always had to deal with the limits of technology. I have really admired the writers of this show for not taking any shortcuts.

Finally I have been failed!

In order to win this battle they simply whipped up a brand new technical advance that the ship never had before. I don't care if this was only possible because of their incredible computer genius. It was cheating. The writers cheated because they wrote themselves into a corner. I'm shocked that only dreamless felt that this was a bit cheap, but even dreamless was only surprised that nobody else had this ability. And that argument went away once it was pointed out that the Amaterasu really did have superior computing power to everyone else. I suppose that he simply expected this sort of thing to happen in SciFi shows. He was sucked in by the cliche. Am I the only one who feels that this show betrayed itself here?

I like to point out that they have been making a point of pointing out how advance the AI for the ship since the series started. So it is like they pull that little trick out a hat. This was something plan form the start so it is not that suprising if you follow the rule for writting about the gun.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-04, 14:59   Link #5
Mentar
Sore wa himitsu desu!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Hamburg
Age: 44
I'll forgive them for that, NSW ... as you pointed out, the "solved by technical marvel" catch is a staple for scifi shows, so I wouldn't slam the show too hard for it. There are definitely more serious plotholes than this one. And besides, the battle was pretty cool IMHO.

Besides, the entire point of SSO isn't the battles, it's the political angle, and the slightly perverse symbiosis with the media. I'll only say this much: In this aspect, the final two eps are gonna be just plain awesome - it's gonna be one of the best endings to a scifi show that I've ever seen.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-04, 15:10   Link #6
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
i am waiting for the sub ending myself. I watch the raws a while and it confuse the hell out of me Seems like there was a lot of double and triple and quad cross going on the political side of things.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-04, 17:05   Link #7
Ledgem
Love Yourself
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Northeast USA
Age: 28
I can see where you're coming from NSW, but I didn't think it was that bad.
Spoiler for Episode 11 happenings:


I was just disappointed way back on episode... six or seven?
Spoiler for Discussion of the Shen Long:


edited to include spoiler tags, as per NSW's comment
__________________

Last edited by Ledgem; 2006-01-04 at 18:18.
Ledgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-04, 18:11   Link #8
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New York, USA
I'm thinking that we really ought to take spoiler tags seriously in this thread since it just came out on DVD last week, and new watchers might not want to get spoiled. From now on, everyone should try to use spoiler tags unless the episode was released on DVD.

DVD 1: 12/26/2005 episodes 1-3
DVD 2: 03/07/2006 episodes 4-6
DVD 3: 05/02/2006 episodes 7-?


Spoiler for episode 11:


and the show really is about the relationship with the media. Something that was quite prominent in this episode despite my complaint.
__________________

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.

Last edited by NoSanninWa; 2006-01-04 at 18:30.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-04, 18:25   Link #9
Ledgem
Love Yourself
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Northeast USA
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
DVD 1: 12/26/2005 episodes 1-3
DVD 2: 03/07/2006 episodes 4-6
DVD 3: 05/02/2006 episodes 7-13
That can't be right - DVD 3 will hold five episodes? I know that DVD technology is capable of it, but companies generally prefer to put three episodes on. It's just enough to make us buy a DVD or two more, while still letting us feel like we're getting more than we did when we bought episodes on VHS. (My preferred number is four episodes per disc.) That aside, I thought this series was only 12 episodes...


Quote:
Spoiler for episode 11:
Well theoretically, they could just make the Amaterasu invincible. "Look at how great and advanced our armor is! The enemy's beam cannons have no effect!" Or they could make it even worse - "Look at how great and advanced our armor is! Our armor type absorbs the enemy's attack type times two, and we're now back up to 9999 HP!" I much prefer what they've done here, it's a little more grounded.
__________________
Ledgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-04, 18:33   Link #10
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New York, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem
That can't be right - DVD 3 will hold five episodes? I know that DVD technology is capable of it, but companies generally prefer to put three episodes on. It's just enough to make us buy a DVD or two more, while still letting us feel like we're getting more than we did when we bought episodes on VHS. (My preferred number is four episodes per disc.) That aside, I thought this series was only 12 episodes...
The series is 13 episodes.

Spoiler for 13 episode titles:


Though I think that I might be confused about the number of episodes on each DVD. Can anyone clear this up for me?



Quote:
Well theoretically, they could just make the Amaterasu invincible. "Look at how great and advanced our armor is! The enemy's beam cannons have no effect!" Or they could make it even worse - "Look at how great and advanced our armor is! Our armor type absorbs the enemy's attack type times two, and we're now back up to 9999 HP!" I much prefer what they've done here, it's a little more grounded.
Indeed. That would have been going waaaay too far.
__________________

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-14, 02:30   Link #11
Forever
Revealing the truth
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Singapore
Age: 31
Well insanely late, but i finally watched finished the series! A very good end indeed, but i am sad to see

Spoiler:
__________________
Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-14, 03:27   Link #12
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New York, USA
I just watched the last two episodes also.

Spoiler for episodes 12 and 13:
__________________

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-14, 05:34   Link #13
Forever
Revealing the truth
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Singapore
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
I just watched the last two episodes also.

Spoiler for episodes 12 and 13:
Spoiler for end of series:
__________________

Last edited by NoSanninWa; 2006-02-14 at 05:37. Reason: Be nice to people who are watching the DVDs! Use [spoiler] tags!!!!
Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-14, 17:04   Link #14
Blaat
AS member for 10 years
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
I'm currently rewatching the show, I'm at episode 8 now.

Why is Kanzaki the captain? He's such a coward, maybe I've seen too much Star Trek?
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-14, 17:50   Link #15
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New York, USA
I seem to remember that he was chosen because his clean cut looks will help to boost their TV ratings.
__________________

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-14, 18:00   Link #16
Blaat
AS member for 10 years
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Ahh gotcha, I thought the TV producers only selected those girls as operators not the captain and the leader of the battle and navigation bridge.

Anyway saw episode 10, it was good but too predictable.
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-15, 01:02   Link #17
guest
guess
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Spoiler for ending:

I have never ever seen a anime like this. I love it. Shinon is so smart and all those tactics and drama. WOW!
__________________
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-15, 07:59   Link #18
oasis
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: 'a little red dot'
Age: 29
Send a message via ICQ to oasis Send a message via MSN to oasis
is there a sequel?
oasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-15, 16:27   Link #19
Mentar
Sore wa himitsu desu!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Hamburg
Age: 44
Watch the anime first, I'd say. This should answer your question about a sequel.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-15, 17:41   Link #20
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by oasis
is there a sequel?
I think the novel is ongoing, someone correct me if i am wrong. As far as the animje if the sale is good enough there probably will be a sequel.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
drama, shounen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:49.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
We use Silk.