AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-02-03, 20:50   Link #41
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by babbito2k
I am not really a big fan of this specific show, more of mahou shoujo in general. The show's fans are entitled to be upset, and I know also that people posting here are aware of what happened with Sailor Moon and Card Captors. What I want to say is that there are two different markets for mahou shoujo; one group is a "cult" of anime fans and the other is the alleged segment of young girls who will want to see broadcasts.
The whole problem seems to be 4kids only caring about one of those markets. They could easily market to both if they chose to. Instead they decide to repeat the mistakes of the past and market only to young girls and not the anime fans. I may be wrong but I read somewhere that the uneditted version of Card Captor Sakura dvds outsold the cheaper, editted version by a significant margin. If that was true, 4kids is going to be in for a big surprise when the ratings and sales figures come in.
Old 2004-02-03, 21:19   Link #42
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356
The whole problem seems to be 4kids only caring about one of those markets...
I think they will wish they just kept their hands off the show entirely; I already said why. More interesting than the case of CCS IMO is Mahou no Stage Fancy Lala which was imported strictly for the "cult."
babbito2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-03, 22:34   Link #43
Princess_of_Hell
Being Felt Up My Skirt

Send a message via AIM to Princess_of_Hell
After hearing this, I bought all 8 volumes from http://www.cdjapan.co.jp and will be getting it soon.

It's a good thing I have a Japanese friend, who is also goth like me, that will help in making our own fansubs and then distributing it in a forthcoming website.

At least we will let people download the true Tokyo Mew Mew, all episodes, whenever I get my DVDs and my friend gets to subbing them. Hopefully we will get them available on that wonderful anime site soon for downloads.

Take that 4kids!!!

What exactly is going to make it Hollywood in "Tokyo Mew Mew". I don't see anything California or even American in the settings. Kids everywhere will be asking "Where is that in Hollywood, I don't see it anywhere and it's in the (cartoon)."

Last edited by Princess_of_Hell; 2004-02-03 at 22:47.
Princess_of_Hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-03, 22:45   Link #44
Tabiree
FUNimation's Gen Fukunaga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess_of_Hell
After hearing this, I bought all 8 volumes from http://www.cdjapan.co.jp and will be getting it soon.

It's a good thing I have a Japanese friend, who is also goth like me, that will help in making our own fansubs and then distributing it in a forthcoming website.

At least we will let people download the true Tokyo Mew Mew, all episodes, whenever I get my DVDs and my friend gets to subbing them. Hopefully we will get them available on http://www.anime.mircx.com.

Take that 4kids!!!
yes, because a true goth would want to subtitle a hyperactive and very brain damaging show for little girls.

Why do people not read stuff? WRITE 4KIDS LETTERS. Read the posts I put earlier in this forum, THEY MAKE SENSE.

Bah forget it.
Tabiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-03, 22:56   Link #45
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabiree
Why do people not read stuff?
Reading stuff and following your instructions are a bit different. When you stoop to sniping you just give people an excuse to ignore you even if you shout.
Old 2004-02-04, 00:48   Link #46
Rebochan
Clubbing

Do you have any idea how many groups continued to subtitle Sailor Moon when only the dub was availible? And though VKLL pulled his personal distribution of the series, he still allowed other distributors to run it. I have the entire first series fansubbed - and I doubt the fanbase for the subtitled version would even exist without the subs.

Why is this? Because right now, the companies just aren't interested in dealing with it when the people who get the subs are a smaller group than the target audience they're aiming for. It's a shame that the current trend in the fansubbing community is to shun those who try to present an alternative to a cut-up dub-only series. That's why so many of them fade into obscurity.
Old 2004-02-04, 01:44   Link #47
XStylus
MSRP -43.2%!!!

HollywoodMewMew.com

I think you guys might get a kick out of what's at www.HollywoodMewMew.com.

Let's see 4kids ignore THAT.

- Troy / XStylus
- Owner: www.HollywoodMewMew.com

Last edited by XStylus; 2004-02-04 at 02:33.
XStylus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-04, 05:46   Link #48
freedoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by XStylus
I think you guys might get a kick out of what's at www.HollywoodMewMew.com.

Let's see 4kids ignore THAT.

- Troy / XStylus
- Owner: www.HollywoodMewMew.com
ICANN will hand that over to 4kids in a heart beat, they hold the copywirght on the name for god's sake...

on the other hand it will get the point across to them before they take it away from you.
freedoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-04, 12:50   Link #49
CC Ricers
Governating the peasants

4Kids can probably sue and get the rights to the domain. It's not hard for them to do.

You know, I have to wonder why 4Kids doesn't license stuff like Pita-ten, Doraemon or Tiny Snow Fairy Sugar, stuff that would require less editing. Also, when Doki Hare Buta got released by Nelvana or DIC or whatever the English translation got changed from Happy Sunshine Pig to Tokyo Pig. What the hell, now with a show that already has Tokyo in its name, they have to change it?

What's more telling is that the CEO of 4Kids said they want to localize it as much as possible so the kids don't know it's from Japan anymore. C'mon, kids aren't that dumb. Like they don't know what's on the other side of the ocean?
CC Ricers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-04, 13:25   Link #50
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Ricers
C'mon, kids aren't that dumb. Like they don't know what's on the other side of the ocean?
Wasn't there a recent study in which a good chunk of high school students couldn't find the Pacific Ocean?
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-04, 15:44   Link #51
XStylus
MSRP -43.2%!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedoom
ICANN will hand that over to 4kids in a heart beat, they hold the copywirght on the name for god's sake...

on the other hand it will get the point across to them before they take it away from you.
Yeah, I'm fully expecting that. But it is as you say. It's a great way to get the point across to them. In any case, I'm expecting several possibilities.

4Kids can yell to ICANN, and I'll defend on the basis that the site has a legitimate use in the same spirt as sites such as www.radioshacksucks.com have. If I lose, I'm not going to cry over it but it will be a delicate PR situation for them because I'll be very vocal about them doing it. The site isn't specifically being cybersquatted for ransom, it's just being used as a protest site.

Another possibility I'm expecting is that 4Kids will simply change the name again. It's not too late for them to do that. But again, I'm not worried. It's kinda hard to do worse than Hollywood Mew Mew (unless they went for "Hollywood Meow Meow"). If they change the name, hopefully it'd be to something at least slightly better. In that case, I'd still consider it a small victory.
XStylus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-04, 19:02   Link #52
Rebochan
Clubbing

There's a difference between using the actual name of the series, which they own a copyright for, and a permutation. Which is why I can't just buy up "tenchimuyo.com", but COULD own "Ryoko.com"
I did notice your site is already at Mewmewalliance.com, so I'd suggest just sticking with that. The cyber-squatting suit would just tick of 4kids, which we're trying to avoid when we need them on our side.
Old 2004-02-04, 20:17   Link #53
Ketsu-Kun
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Ketsu-Kun Send a message via MSN to Ketsu-Kun
Actually, if he can prove there is a legitimate use for it - They can't just instantly grab it from ICANN.

He owned the domain before they copyrighted the name, another point in his favour. Add into that the usage of the domain and you have yourself quite a defence.

XStylus, if they do attempt to sue you - I'll help you in any way that I can.
Ketsu-Kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-05, 09:17   Link #54
Ivyna J. Spyder

I heard someone say they were going to call the show 'Hollywood Kitty K.A.T.S'. But I hope that's just a horrible, horrible rumor.

I dun like 4Kids.
Ivyna J. Spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-05, 13:01   Link #55
DekaMaster
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabiree
YOu DO realise that these shows are aimed at small childrens, mostly GIRLS in Japan. So it's obvious that even the japanese companies would agree to this.

And you're a dick. 99% of the time when an Anime is licensed for american release, it's being bought over to satisfy an Anime Fanbase, hence it's usually sold uncut and bilingual (or at very least sub only). And Tokyo Mew Mew is being bought over onto FoxBox, not Cartoon Netowrk which is trying it's hardest to push the acceptability of not only censorship, but of overly concerned parents awareness and understanding of what can go into an animated show.

Isn't that a store? Why would I do that to a store?
Isn't a ban in order for this guy? Direct insults?
DekaMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-05, 14:32   Link #56
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingRanger
Isn't a ban in order for this guy? Direct insults?
Just report the post and see what happens, or ask the guy to chill out, instead of whatever this is about.
Old 2004-02-05, 18:41   Link #57
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivyna J. Spyder

I heard someone say they were going to call the show 'Hollywood Kitty K.A.T.S'. But I hope that's just a horrible, horrible rumor.

I dun like 4Kids.
Actually that could be a good sign. There would be no reason to change the title that much, unless they wanted to also release an uneditted version under the original name so they could target both potential markets. However I think Hollywood Mew Mew is the official title, so that's probably either an unfounded rumor, or was another possible title 4kids considered.
Kamui4356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-08, 14:18   Link #58
Rebochan
Clubbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356
Actually that could be a good sign. There would be no reason to change the title that much, unless they wanted to also release an uneditted version under the original name so they could target both potential markets. However I think Hollywood Mew Mew is the official title, so that's probably either an unfounded rumor, or was another possible title 4kids considered.
Or if they thought they could come up with a better title. Look at Megaman NT Warrior. Different title, and still no subbed release.
Old 2004-02-08, 17:20   Link #59
Tenchi from ANN

Quote:
Originally Posted by asaqe
ooohhh they have done it they have sucessful activated my dark factor they shall feel my wrath Now I hope hobono will have leniency to keep the subs unlike yu gi oh which all subs are removed let make a rule on fansubs from now on, anything that is dubbed by 4kids can still be downloaded in animesuki until they start distributing uncut DVD.

Congratulations!

This post has made the big time! SomethingAwful.com's "Weekend Web" feature (7th post down on that page)!

I honestly thought Zachary "Spokker Jones" Gutierrez would post one of your more outrageous DBZOA gyrobot posts, like how you want to burn down 4Kids by posing as a janitor and putting flammable liquids in their furnace or how a couple of kids burning their Yu-Gi-Oh junk would be of the same significance as the Boston Tea Party, but I guess this board is more famous than the DBZOA board.
Tenchi from ANN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-08, 22:51   Link #60
asaqe
Augumented Paranoia

Oh dear lord I have became more famous then bandit ken
asaqe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kemonomimi