AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Macross

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-05-31, 11:02   Link #421
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Neu Herzogtum Zeon
You obviously did not read my entire post. Read it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
It's not an assumption.

90% of Japanese people are religious. The facts don't lie that almost 85% of anime has ONE relation to religion, even Buddha. I cannot FIND an anime that doesn't have a stop at the temple or prayers, even the talk of exorcism and whatnot. Japanese are very religious.
Right, and if we use Hollywood as a basis for American society, then the US is supposed to be rampant with death & destruction everywhere, either by drugs, gangs or alien invasions.

Anyway, I would really appreciate it if you would stop using anime as a reference to Japanese culture/society. First and foremost, ITS NOT REAL! Second, you haven't lived there. Third, I can assure you, exorcisms are rare, and far in between. Next thing I know, you'd be claiming Japanese people are born with pink hair.

Besides, how many Japanese people have you asked?

As I said, there is a difference between spiritual and religious. Japan has no religious canon or religious dogma. People visit temples & shrines not because of a religious conviction or because divine intervention is feared. Religion serve not as a moral guideline, but as a foundation for tradition and activities. For example, its part of New Years tradition to visit a shrine/temple. Sometimes you pray, but the prayer is more or less like a birthday wish, nothing more.

Really, your assumptions are as bad as stereotyping Americans as a bunch of ignorant, fat, lazy couch potatoes "with food pipped through their apartments" (according to Irish comedian Dylan Moran). Don't prove him right.

Stop making things up, its getting very irritating. Moreover, people have already explained lyrics to you, please read them before jumping to conclusions.

- Tak
__________________
- Flight to Brazil? $1,500
- FIFA Stadium Ticket? $500
- Witnessing Coach Joachim Lw crack a smile at the World-Cup Final? PRICELESS


There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there is Master Card.


"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Last edited by Tak; 2011-05-31 at 18:11.
Tak is offline  
Old 2011-05-31, 16:45   Link #422
wisteria233
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
It's not an assumption.

90% of Japanese people are religious. The facts don't lie that almost 85% of anime has ONE relation to religion, even Buddha. I cannot FIND an anime that doesn't have a stop at the temple or prayers, even the talk of exorcism and whatnot. Japanese are very religious.

Sure, you might not be, but the others around you might, even people you don't know might be religious.

And to say that "Liebe" is not a Christmas song is flawed. "Merry Christmas Without You" (the very word "without") also fits into a non-Christmas song. It's more of a song of prayer that his/her spirit is with them. "Tablet" didn't belong on the album either, for it was about them trying to get their love's attention to the other he failed to notice and write their feelings down, hence the name "tablet." And another one that didn't belong was "Songbird." All of these did not belong because they had no joy like you say, no happiness, they were spiritual songs filled with love. And that's why you don't think they fit. Well, as I recall, Christmas is ABOUT hope and love. I think you forget this fact because 90% of the world is more happy with PRESENTS than songs of hope and love and a nice warm meal. I don't blame you for that, just saying it's ridiculous.

The whole album is about love, hope, and prayer. It's a spiritual joining. And 90% of those who hear "Merry Christmas Without You" think it is for Klan once Michael died. "Liebe" is the same. It is an expression of Sheryl's feelings towards Alto, praying that he will return from battle alive but she will still fight to live even if he's gone. She will not lose her love or her heart. Same with Ranka in "Songbird."

3 songs with the same hope, love, and prayer:
Liebe
Merry Christmas Without You
Songbird

The songs may not belong to you, but it is obvious to EVERYONE that the songs, by the lyrics, are about prayer in a time of need. And, as I remember, movie 1 had just come out at that time, so the war was still heavy. If I remember correctly, the songs were supposed to display that Christmas had passed in Macross F before the 2nd movie, which signaled the "many months have passed" piece.
LMK just a hint of advice NEVER assume the customs, traditions, or general lifestyles that people in other countries live in using movies as your guideline. Because chances are those will be wrong VERY VERY WRONG.

Also some people here actually live in Japan or are Japanese, don't assume that you know more than them about the place they come from/live in just because you saw a few movies, that just happen to take there.

Also
Liebe isn't a prayer, simple knowledge of German will tell you that the song name means lover
Merry Christmas without you Also isn't a prayer
ditto for Songbird.

They are songs about being in love.

Christmas is not religious in every country.
wisteria233 is offline  
Old 2011-05-31, 19:51   Link #423
magnuskn
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Age: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisteria233 View Post
LMK just a hint of advice NEVER assume the customs, traditions, or general lifestyles that people in other countries live in using movies as your guideline. Because chances are those will be wrong VERY VERY WRONG.

Also some people here actually live in Japan or are Japanese, don't assume that you know more than them about the place they come from/live in just because you saw a few movies, that just happen to take there.

Also
Liebe isn't a prayer, simple knowledge of German will tell you that the song name means lover
Merry Christmas without you Also isn't a prayer
ditto for Songbird.

They are songs about being in love.

Christmas is not religious in every country.
Ahem, "Liebe" means "Love", not "Lover".
__________________
magnuskn is offline  
Old 2011-05-31, 20:04   Link #424
wisteria233
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Ahem, "Liebe" means "Love", not "Lover".
Oh I'm sorry, my mistake.

Though out of pure curiosity how does one say "lover" in German?
wisteria233 is offline  
Old 2011-05-31, 20:43   Link #425
Ceci-chan
(・∀ノゝ)~キラ☆
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Idaho, USA
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Yeah, for some odd reason, its either KFC or karaage. I have no idea when that tradition started.

- Tak
It was some ad campaign, wasn't it? (btw, I looked up karaage and it sounds really delicious, especially meat. Though my current state of hunger might be affecting that. )

Not going to address the songs further here because we have a music thread for that.
__________________
Ceci-chan is offline  
Old 2011-05-31, 22:42   Link #426
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: in the land down under ^^
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Just pointing out that Christmas means different things to different age groups. There are different reasons to love Christmas as a kid back in the 80s, and I HAD FUN!

80s Japan was such a heaven for kids.
Good point - I did Christmas lessons myself after all. Though they were half about having fun, and half about teaching high school kids the difference between Christmas in Japan and in some other countries


@LoveMeKags
There are so many things I want to say, but I'll keep it to the following.
  • 'kami-sama' =/= 'God' as most other religions understand it
  • Shintoism (the main 'religion' in Japan) =/= Buddhism
  • as Tak already noted, being spiritual =/= being religous
  • having the word 'god' in a song doesn't mean that the singer/writer/listener is religious.

Will you please, for goodness sake, STOP generalising about Japan?
__________________



You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.



"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.
- Patrick Stokes



Last edited by karice67; 2011-05-31 at 23:15.
karice67 is offline  
Old 2011-05-31, 22:57   Link #427
wisteria233
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
It IS a prayer. Sheryl is talking about being SEPARATED from Alto. So is Songbird and Merry Christmas Without You. I'm beginning to wonder if you guys bothered to read the LYRICS before you judge it based on the title. The lyrics, especially in "Liebe" are about prayers that love will remain.

But either way you look at it, Japanese people ARE religious. I think I can rest my case with a history lesson that there is a REASON Buddha exists and that they have all this time held a belief in their God. I'm not assuming that people are religious, because, you know, Sheryl showed her own belief in God by singing it in Diamond Crevasse.
Remember what I said about assuming things?

Never assume that only you have knowledge about something because chances are you don't, and you're wrong. In this case its both.

Songbird
Spoiler for lyrics for songbird:

Talks about being in love

Liebe
Spoiler for lyrics for Liebe:

Its not a prayer, its talking about being in love.

Merry Christmas Without You
Spoiler for lyrics for Merry Christmas Without you:


Talks about separation, and once again love

Also just so you know Cosmic Cuune is not canon to the Macross F as none of the songs show up in any of the series, its just a christmas album, for fans which shouldn't be taken seriously.

Also on what do you say that the Japanese are religious? What are you basing your knowledge on? Keep in mind there are people who've actually been to Japan who are correcting you in this thread.

You should also look up what Buddhism is before you start referencing religions, as Japan did not create that religion, it was originated from India.Buddhism Fast Facts - Religion Facts and Wikipedia since you like to use it.

Also there are articles on this on religion in Japan in Wikipedia, Japan Guide, Fast Facts about Japan,etc. Hell CNN even did a report on it.

Now please research the topic before you embarrass yourself further.

Oh and for the record:
Being Spiritual=/=Being Religious

Also just because a character mentioning "God" once in a song, doesn't mean that they are religious, and you shouldn't base your knowledge of a country off an anime.

Last edited by wisteria233; 2011-05-31 at 23:07.
wisteria233 is offline  
Old 2011-06-01, 01:41   Link #428
mechabao
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
It IS a prayer. Sheryl is talking about being SEPARATED from Alto. So is Songbird and Merry Christmas Without You. I'm beginning to wonder if you guys bothered to read the LYRICS before you judge it based on the title. The lyrics, especially in "Liebe" are about prayers that love will remain.

But either way you look at it, Japanese people ARE religious. I think I can rest my case with a history lesson that there is a REASON Buddha exists and that they have all this time held a belief in their God. I'm not assuming that people are religious, because, you know, Sheryl showed her own belief in God by singing it in Diamond Crevasse.
Just because you belong to a religion doesn't automatically make you religious. Neither does singing or talking about God mean that you believe in one.

Japan is one of the nations where religion is least important in people's lives.
[PDF] 65% of Japanese don't believe in God
In easy to understand chart form:
A study made by Pitzer concludes that Sweden, Vietnam, Denmark, Norway and Japan are the least religious countries in the world.
mechabao is offline  
Old 2011-06-01, 06:56   Link #429
sa547
Senior Member
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philippines
Age: 37
Damn, why can't we go back to topic?

LMK, you need to do some serious studying first about real Japan and its culture and society before wading into a debate; to base your assumptions about Japan through anime alone doesn't help.
__________________
sa547 is offline  
Old 2011-06-01, 12:42   Link #430
magnuskn
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Age: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisteria233 View Post
Oh I'm sorry, my mistake.

Though out of pure curiosity how does one say "lover" in German?
"Liebhaber". Or "Liebhaberin" for the female version.
__________________
magnuskn is offline  
Old 2011-06-01, 12:44   Link #431
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Neu Herzogtum Zeon
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
"Liebhaber". Or "Liebhaberin" for the female version.
Quick, throw in the triple articles to further confuse him!!

- Tak
__________________
- Flight to Brazil? $1,500
- FIFA Stadium Ticket? $500
- Witnessing Coach Joachim Lw crack a smile at the World-Cup Final? PRICELESS


There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there is Master Card.


"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Tak is offline  
Old 2011-06-01, 14:17   Link #432
BetoJR
D-d-don't look!!!
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Fortaleza-CE, Brazil
Age: 36
Please don't. I still have nightmares about the few german lessons I had when I was a teen...
__________________
It's always a great time to immerse yourself in Deculture love!
All hail the Empress!!!

BetoJR is offline  
Old 2011-06-01, 14:58   Link #433
magnuskn
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Age: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Quick, throw in the triple articles to further confuse him!!

- Tak
Eh, since there is no neutral term for "lover" in German, why bother?
__________________
magnuskn is offline  
Old 2011-06-01, 15:08   Link #434
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Neu Herzogtum Zeon
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Eh, since there is no neutral term for "lover" in German, why bother?
Yeah, but he won't know the difference between the articles

- Tak
__________________
- Flight to Brazil? $1,500
- FIFA Stadium Ticket? $500
- Witnessing Coach Joachim Lw crack a smile at the World-Cup Final? PRICELESS


There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there is Master Card.


"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Last edited by Tak; 2011-06-01 at 15:30.
Tak is offline  
Old 2011-06-02, 01:51   Link #435
magnuskn
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Age: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Yeah, but he won't know the difference between the articles

- Tak
I thought wisteria was a "she".

And I don't think I need to confuse the poor people who have only one article.
__________________
magnuskn is offline  
Old 2011-06-02, 06:40   Link #436
wisteria233
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
I thought wisteria was a "she".

And I don't think I need to confuse the poor people who have only one article.
Yeah I am a girl, and Tak your mean.

By the way thanks for answering my question Magnuskn

Last edited by wisteria233; 2011-06-02 at 07:31.
wisteria233 is offline  
Old 2011-06-02, 07:07   Link #437
BetoJR
D-d-don't look!!!
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Fortaleza-CE, Brazil
Age: 36
Yes, that he is.
__________________
It's always a great time to immerse yourself in Deculture love!
All hail the Empress!!!

BetoJR is offline  
Old 2011-07-18, 02:55   Link #439
raile
<3
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Lala rainbow land~
Tsku. You've overlooked that and missed some like this :

__________________
raile is offline  
Old 2011-07-18, 11:55   Link #440
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Neu Herzogtum Zeon
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
I was being nice and you just decide to treat me like I said something wrong.
Can you stop overreacting, nobody thought you did anything wrong. He only pointed out there are other good videos too.

- Tak
__________________
- Flight to Brazil? $1,500
- FIFA Stadium Ticket? $500
- Witnessing Coach Joachim Lw crack a smile at the World-Cup Final? PRICELESS


There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there is Master Card.


"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Tak is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:11.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.