AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Macross

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-07-06, 22:29   Link #621
cheesie
Dame Cheesie
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidolon Sniper View Post
ZOMG TEH FFVII. Really, it has its spectacular moments and its not so spectacular moments, but Dirge of Cerberus and to an extent Crisis Core already make me want to facepalm at the absurdity of the fandom. I won't deny that I'm an FF VII fangirl, but I know my fanaticism has its own limits. Cleris FTW lol But of course this is off-topic.
ZOMG CLERIS FTW TOO YAH.

It's always been about "I'M RIGHT YOU'RE WRONG BEECH AND IMMA TEAR YOUR ARGUMENT APART" and not realizing that loving a pairing doesn't mean proving you're right, and of course, don't let your common sense be taken away and think RATIONALLY for once. But it wasn't until this year when some from the Cloti side started up an impersonation blog that I knew I just had to quit the fandom otherwise they'll take all my brain cells with me.

But of course, it's off-topic lmao. Sorry.

Quote:
As for knowing what it was, I think she already knew before the Zero movie that something was not right with Ranka, and that she probably knows what it is already.
No, I don't think Sheryl is aware what's bothering Ranka, really, let alone act pettily on it. I'm basing this not so much on the series of events that happened in the episodes, but more on whether it fits the consistency of Sheryl's character or not.

Had they portrayed Sheryl as the scheming, snide third wheel then yes, I would find that a plausible explanation.

(Did you notice that the subject of Sheryl dominated a majority of active threads? )
Old 2008-07-06, 22:31   Link #622
TwilightHack
~ Madoka = Win ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
Even that scene conveyed security about her insecurity.

Did you actually agree with me? I think this world is coming to an end!

It's the truth though, I suppose. Glad to see we're on the same side on something.

in the shadows i lurk... but nevertheless there i am...
Old 2008-07-06, 22:33   Link #623
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisis View Post

No, I don't think Sheryl is aware what's bothering Ranka, really, let alone act pettily on it. I'm basing this not so much on the series of events that happened in the episodes, but more on whether it fits the consistency of Sheryl's character or not.

Had they portrayed Sheryl as the scheming, snide third wheel then yes, I would find that a plausible explanation.

(Did you notice that the subject of Sheryl dominated a majority of active threads? )
are u saying that Sherly doesn't know that Ranka is crushing on Alto...?
Old 2008-07-06, 22:38   Link #624
cheesie
Dame Cheesie
*Graphic Designer

I see it as more like she knows something's up with Ranka, but doesn't quite place a finger on what it is. That's what it appears to me.

Spoiler for Summary for Episode 15:

Should address this issue properly.
Old 2008-07-06, 22:41   Link #625
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

Oh....I think she fears that Ranka iis going de-throne her ass XD
Old 2008-07-06, 22:44   Link #626
zalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleachOD View Post
lol...next time someone calls me a rabid shipper. I am sending straight to this forum.
Hahahaha. Actually, I don't even like Alto. I didn't vote for him in the poll. *shrugs*

I do like Sheryl and I'd like to see her character get a happy ending. If that's with Alto, then great. Though I have said it before and will say it again, I think Alto will unfortunately end up with Ranka. The signs just seem to be pointing to it. Though some of my fellows here will insist the signs point to SherylXAlto just as much. While I hope that turns out to be true, I'm not very optimistic about it. But anyway...

Quote:
Sheryl is insecure because she can see that Alto cares for Ranka.
Hmmm....I think you are making huge generalizations about her character. She is very confident and is used to relying on herself. She dislikes when people "don't do what can be done." Her situation in life has forced her to be this way, to rely on herself and only herself. Now on Frontier she is finally forming true relationships with people. And she has grown to care for Alto a lot. There is uncertainty there. Of course there is. Because she is human. And she will not be perfectly confident about every single thing. That's unreasonable to expect her to be. However, in general Sheryl has shown strength and courage even when life throws a curve ball at her. But of course even "pure will" cannot cure everything, and perhaps she is a bit naive about that.

Still I admire her strength and confidence. She pushes herself even when her body fails. Because she is Sheryl Nome.

Quote:
Did you notice that Alto doesn't bat an eye when males fawn over Sheryl? Could be cause he knows it comes with the territory. Yet he displayed jealousy twice when Ranka got attention? Episode 13...after the shouts of deculture! and nosebleeds. He gets an irritated look and then stunted <--Showing off by flying right to Ranka "She's mine"

Ranka is strong willed. She may have had doubts but she goes through with it .
I agree that Alto doesn't bat an eye at guys that fawn over Sheryl. He has yet to show any real romantic inclination toward her. But I honestly do not see this foaming jealousy over Ranka in episode 12 (that's the episode with the concert) that you talk of. It's just not there. The end of episode 12 when Ranka and Alto are flying and episode 13 are when Alto begins to show a more romantic interest in Ranka (all that blushing).

Ranka has a certain potential to be strong, but imho has not reached that level yet at all. She still lacks confidence in herself. Episode 12 was a big turning point for her, but I don't believe she has truly matured yet. Plus the writers keep throwing her in these annoying damsel situations which certainly doesn't help things.

Quote:
You know what...
thread just got hijacked by OD. watch me pwn this thread too...Everything above or below this line...is about get crushed by the OD

Keep in mind it's all in fun and I am just a wise ass. just one who can debate my ass off.
*gets the popcorn out* Where is Westlo?
Old 2008-07-06, 23:02   Link #627
BleachOD
Banned

^^ Is non believer...actually Herb and Westly...are the two I plan on crushing first...
So call em out

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightHack View Post
I have no problem with you vouching for Alto x Ranka,.
OT! Did you just partially agree with me???! Well whadddya know wonders do never cease!
Quote:
but why oh why do you insist that Sheryl is insecure?

Nothing has shown us that she's insecure. The entire series has portrayed her a very self-confident woman, especially this past Ep13. The only insecure moment she's had was in Ep6, and that was about her childhood on Galaxy.

HACK...You should know by now...

that one question will be a mountain of a post.

For one thing...this isn't the manga or anime I been discussing everyday...for about five years now... So I can't just pull pages out and screenies...of the top of my head.

Sheryl is False bravado...not true confidence.

Although I didn't get to the very end of thirteen so I didn't see the human part of her.

However I have seen blatant jealousy... and Ranka is one with spine.

@Cris..Well I almost didn't care enough but the lump of red coal and rabid shippers <---*Is delighted to call someone else that for a change*

Kind of inspired me...It's kind of refreshing to be on the other side...

Especially since it's not all one sided...(Ranka has a better chance than that other one with Ichigo)

But I promise I won't disappoint you...will dissect every episode to show you just why I think that. *So you know what that means*

I dub thee 'The Nome-ers"

Well I put my Ichigo avy....back on. So unless something happens in Bleach...I will make temporary home here...

This how it started in "My Thread" ...Me against the Demon Brigade<--name change to "Keep Hope Alive" Crew aka the "The Hime-Dream team"

The all the IchiRuki started coming out the woodwork. So I am going to Rally and get the Ranka fans up...

*I talk major shit...get used to it people who aren't used to it*

Ok...I am not gonna respond until....I respond. Then you see my POV. Then you trash it...or at least try (It won't be easy)
Old 2008-07-06, 23:07   Link #628
herbert

@ BleachOD

If you mean Sheryl is insecure in regard of the relation with Alto, I agree with you. If you mean Sheryl is insecure in general, I still agree with you. Sheryl's insecurity is one of reasons making her Galaxy Fairy in my opinion. She is insecure so she tries hard. She pay effort to build confidence so she can get rid of her insecurity. This is why I like her. She has insecurity but she doesn't let the feeling of insecurity get better of her, she rather tries her best to master what she thinks she lacks.
Old 2008-07-06, 23:15   Link #629
Eurys
Crush me. ~Ringo

Quote:
For one thing...this isn't the manga or anime I been discussing everyday...for about five years now... So I can't just pull pages out and screenies...of the top of my head.

Although I didn't get to the very end of thirteen so I didn't see the human part of her.

However I have seen blatant jealousy... and Ranka is one with spine.

Who cares if you don't have screenies or pages of proofs, you did watch the anime, so you could at least remember the moments where Sheryl appeared as false bravado or displayed blatant jealousy, so you could just, you know, DESCRIBE THOSE MOMENTS.

And I agree with herbert anyway, everyone have doubts and insecurities sometimes, it's all about how you cope with them.
Old 2008-07-06, 23:17   Link #630
TwilightHack
~ Madoka = Win ~

Quote:
OT! Did you just partially agree with me???! Well whadddya know wonders do never cease!
Of course, Macross thrives on Love and Triangles and I wont hold that against you. As opposed to Bleach, it's filled with actual romantic substance. The kind of stuff you can sink your teeth into and debate hours on end.

A kind warning though, people here aren't afraid to use /ignore. Try to keep a level head while you do your thing. Ask Wesley84 about how vicious people can be... most of the time nowadays he's talking to himself when replying to threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbert View Post
If you mean Sheryl is insecure in regard of the relation with Alto, I agree with you. If you mean Sheryl is insecure in general, I still agree with you. Sheryl's insecurity is one of reasons making her Galaxy Fairy in my opinion. She is insecure so she tries hard. She pay effort to build confidence so she can get rid of her insecurity. This is why I like her. She has insecurity but she doesn't let the feeling of insecurity get better of her, she rather tries her best to master what she thinks she lacks.
Thinking about it from that point of view, I concede.

But if someone says she's insecure while suggesting in a petty sort of way, I have to disagree. Like herbert suggests, she draws her strengths from her insecurities.

Old 2008-07-06, 23:17   Link #631
zalem

If she is insecure she handles that insecurity pretty damn well if you ask me. I can only admire her more for it.

Quote:

A kind warning though, people here aren't afraid to use /ignore. Try to keep a level head while you do your thing. Ask Wesley84 about how vicious people can be, most of the time nowadays he's talking to himself when replying to threads.
Oh yeah, that's right I forgot the ignore feature. Though I usually prefer not to ignore people. It seems kind of mean.

Some people might argue but OD might end up being another Wesley....
Old 2008-07-06, 23:26   Link #632
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭

Quote:
So you are saying what Sheryl had accomplished thus far, by herself, is all due to just, erm... luck?

That she sang on stage was due to false bravado of course. That she had her face painted all over Frontier was of course, false bravado. That she refused to take a beating lying down was also due to fals bravado. Yeah.

Also you mentioned Sheryl expressed blatant jealously of her? But of course you failed to display proof. And I would like to ask why would she display this blatant jealousy? Especially given that she was one of Ranka's biggest supporters.

And Ranka is the one with spine? How so? Just because she showed spine once in Episode 12? When she failed to demonstrate that she had a spine in every single prior episodes? That others had to constantly remind her that she has a spine?

So far I've been reading your posts, but they have little, or no supporting evidence to back up any of your claims. I am not so certain I should take your comments seriously beyond a grain of salt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalem View Post
Some people might argue but OD might end up being another Wesley....
You mean a female version? Oh shit.

- Tak
Old 2008-07-06, 23:30   Link #633
herbert

Quote:
But if someone says she's insecure while suggesting in a petty sort of way, I have to disagree.
That is one thing I have learned from past two months in Macross sub-forum: tell Ranka fans your opinions, but don't try to convince them, which is futile.

Especially when they behave like "you are my enemy, I must prove you wrong I'm right so my shipping is a must your shipping is hopeless." For people who declare victory at beginning of a battle, you think they ever acknowlegde defeat if they lose? There is at least a face problem, you know.

Last edited by herbert; 2008-07-06 at 23:49. Reason: mis-quoted
Old 2008-07-07, 00:03   Link #634
Wesley84

Quote:

Did you actually agree with me? I think this world is coming to an end!

It's the truth though, I suppose. Glad to see we're on the same side on something.
Well, sorta.

It's a problem I have with Sheryl's character. In that scene, rather than seeing her as vunerable or strong in the face of adversity, as you're probably meant to see her, I saw her as just not really caring. Alot of what she says or does rings hollow with me, and the series just continues to justify that feeling. Like when she acts like the earring mattered alot to her, then it didn't matter at all, or when she acts like Galaxy's fate concerns her, but then we hear about these rumors of survivors and she supposedly takes on a relief mission to confirm them, but that is completely forgotten by everyone when she presents Alto with the chance to fly under planet bound gas.

Usually when I mention things like this I'm told "It probably happened off screen", but that just deflects the issue. The issue being that aside from spending time with Alto, they aren't really giving Sheryl proper motiviation, besides her supposed concern for Galaxy, which hasn't been handled very well. Or at all really.

It's like it's the fans job to build her up, rather than the studio's. So maybe they should spend a little less time on trying to fit in references to previous series, and put more work into scenes that are relevant to what's going with the current cast.
Old 2008-07-07, 00:38   Link #635
Swampstorm
Lovestruck Fool?
*Fansubber

Ah. So much posturing, but so little substance. This thread has indeed been 'pwned'. It's high time that we got back to having an actual discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisis View Post
That's the trick.

When you truly love a character, you need not concern yourself about how other characters appear by comparison. But if you've got a nagging doubt in your mind that your character of choice is somehow inferior to another, then you'll feel compelled to drag that character down to your chosen character's level.

Each person finds their own way of attesting to Sheryl's greatness as a character, whether it be through yowls of protest, or songs of praise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
It's a problem I have with Sheryl's character. In that scene, rather than seeing her as vunerable or strong in the face of adversity, as you're probably meant to see her, I saw her as just not really caring. Alot of what she says or does rings hollow with me, and the series just continues to justify that feeling. Like when she acts like the earring mattered alot to her, then it didn't matter at all, or when she acts like Galaxy's fate concerns her, but then we hear about these rumors of survivors and she supposedly takes on a relief mission to confirm them, but that is completely forgotten by everyone when she presents Alto with the chance to fly under planet bound gas.

Usually when I mention things like this I'm told "It probably happened off screen", but that just deflects the issue. The issue being that aside from spending time with Alto, they aren't really giving Sheryl proper motiviation, besides her supposed concern for Galaxy, which hasn't been handled very well. Or at all really.
I think the issue that you're talking about has less to do with Sheryl's personality as it does the direction in which she's been written in. The other two protagonists more or less have their paths laid out for them. Sheryl, by contrast, seems to lie along many different directions at once.

Is Sheryl's purpose to find out about her past? Is it to find out what happened to Galaxy? Is it to win Alto's heart? Will she pilot a VF against the Vajra, sing to the Vajra, or neither? Is she supposed to be Ranka's friend and mentor, or her rival? Will she rebuild her singing career, or scrap it in favour of becoming a pilot?

Until she settles down into her role in the story, it's going to be difficult to see her as having a specific driving motivation to do anything. It's not that she doesn't care; she's recovering from having been constantly uprooted and lacks focus as a result.

On the positive side, though, so long as Sheryl's role isn't properly defined, there is suspense about the true role of all of the other characters as well. She acts as a "wildcard" of sorts. Theoretically, she could displace any one of the dramatis personae from their apparent roles (which is why some people are so eager to define that role, for her ). But it will be interesting to see what she finally comes up with.

Last edited by Swampstorm; 2008-07-07 at 01:05.
Old 2008-07-07, 00:39   Link #636
ani_d

To Eidolon_sniper and crisis...

Spoiler for FF7 ooc:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84
It's like it's the fans job to build her up, rather than the studio's.
I really agree with this. Sheryl just doesn't have enough focus to completely understand some of her actions so instead of the show explaining it, people just have to do it themselves with their own invalid/lame/rational/exaggerated interpretations. =/
Old 2008-07-07, 00:40   Link #637
TwilightHack
~ Madoka = Win ~

^Hopefully we'll be seeing a resolve to that soon in the upcoming episodes.

I agree though, she's all over the board right now. I posted back in Ep10 about how hard it is to read Sheryl and understand her intentions.

Old 2008-07-07, 00:42   Link #638
cheesie
Dame Cheesie
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Ah. So much posturing, so little substance. But this thread has indeed been pwned. What I would give for a janitor, to clean up this mess.
Agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_d View Post
To Eidolon_sniper and crisis...

Spoiler for FF7 ooc:
ZOMG, there's a Cloti in sight, KEEL IT.
Old 2008-07-07, 00:46   Link #639
mike_s_6

Boldface my highlight -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampstorm View Post

Is Sheryl's purpose to find out about her past? Is it to find out what happened to Galaxy? Is it to win Alto's heart? Will she pilot a VF against the Vajra, sing to the Vajra, or neither? Is she supposed to be Ranka's friend and mentor, or her rival? Will she rebuild her singing career, or scrap it in favour of becoming a pilot?
*pees* I can visualize a pink Valk right now... go Sheryl!
Old 2008-07-07, 00:51   Link #640
herbert

No, Sheryl's color scheme is blue. VF's color is normally same with Ex-gear's color.

Tags
characters