AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Macross

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-07-17, 04:10   Link #861
magnuskn
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Age: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by daimonth View Post
I got it from a chinese forum but judging from info within the blogs there is an implication that at the begining of episode 9 Sheryl and Alto was in a big fight and havent talked to each other for several days.

From blog entry:
May 12- Sheryl joins Mihoshi comments on the school cafe food.

May 13- Gets called 'hair growing on the heart' decides to beat the crap of 'the guy' who called her that the next day.

May 15-Shery comments on understanding what it means to want to hear 'certain persons' voice even if the conversation can be infuriating. She went on to certify this.

Ep 9 -Alto complains about Sheryl being in the school and went on to hassel Mikhail incessantly. He was pretty pissed off for the first bit even yelling at Mikhail saying that he don't need Mikhails help in that first vajra encounter. When Alto gets treated in the infirmary he said something to the effect of 'That one too and this one too, they all just know to attack from ambush.' (Original line(?)- どいつもこいつも、こそこそ蔭から撃つだけで、それするは出来ないやつか?Two people were mentioned.) Gets told that 'everyone has their reasons'. Alto gets a thoughtful look on his face and next scene we see Alto talking to Sheryl on the phone about her documentary.

May 17 blog entry- Sheryl talk about how her documentary name was passed 99 to 1. (we all know who that 1 is )

Judging from the time flow- Sheryl smacked Alto silly (Sheryl trained boxing back in galaxy, in ep 5 she out ran Alto so it probably hurt..) on May 14 then proceed to go into cold war with him for the next few days. During this time Alto continuously complained about Sheryl (per begining of ep9) then they made up during the middle of ep9 (most likely Alto called Sheryl after the talk in the infirmary). So Altos action in the begining of ep9 was because they had a lovers quarrel
I want an episode 8.5! Honestly, that sounds like some wonderful scenes which we didn´t get to see. Well, maybe they'll show up on some extra or in a novel or somesuch.

Last edited by magnuskn; 2008-07-17 at 05:25.
magnuskn is offline  
Old 2008-07-17, 07:10   Link #862
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Neu Herzogtum Zeon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_d View Post

"When the valkyrie in front of Sheryl is destroyed, the one who follows it, takes its place and stands in front of her! The idol is more important than any of you! You say you are here to serve humanity, I say you are here to die for the Galactic Fairy!"

Sorry Tak, I guess I overestimated your love for Sheryl.
I guess you are not familiar with the movie Enemy at the Gates or general Soviet Infantry Doctrine. Aw well, can't blame ya

The original quote goes like this, ahem "When the man in front of you gets killed, the one who follows him, picks up his rifle and shoots (@ the fascists)!"

- Tak (And after close to 30 million dead, they still do the same thing. Whatever, that won them the war)
__________________
- Flight to Brazil? $1,500
- FIFA Stadium Ticket? $500
- Witnessing Coach Joachim Löw crack a smile at the World-Cup Final? PRICELESS


There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there is Master Card.


Get strong like ROCK! Not weak like Barack! Putincize now!

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Tak is online now  
Old 2008-07-17, 08:24   Link #863
Westlo
Lets be reality
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
I think this pic aptly describes the current situation between us ani_d At least until October the 17th!

Spoiler:


So after this post I'm done for a while when it comes to posting something of substance, I'll rather watch Xamdou (which is awesome) again than go through the exact same argument with a twist.

In short, burnt out, not enough time, cbf and you win... until episode 25 airs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_d View Post
Thank you. You are actually aware. No need to bring up your own failed Sheryl predictions in 13 and radioactive earrings ^_^ lol
It's very hard to predict how actual events will play out on a "play by play" basis (especially when they throw in a twist like at the end of 12) but in regards to a general overview of how a series pans out I find myself reading the play well more often than not. And I played the earring down the middle, I wasn't exactly trying to argue why he had it as much as say a certain someone who thought Bobby was serious

Quote:
Actually, that kiss in 10 isn't the only scene that can confirm for Alto that Sheryl likes to mess with him. It was all over in that same episode 8 too, but that's beside the point....
Reconfirm than? Straw that broke the camels back, take your pick.

Quote:
The bottomline of your post is that: Alto will also fall for Sheryl once she starts to really go for Alto.

The bottomline of my reply is: Even if Sheryl takes her feelings for Alto seriously, there's no guarantee that Alto will start returning her feelings.

Am I making myself clearer now?
Ignore me for the moment... explain to me how the love triangle will have drama in your opinion and how Sheryl will play a role in it. Since you seem to think that Alto's bonds with Ranka are unbreakable and he will not sway to Sheryl even after Sheryl makes her move. For this triangle to actually be a good triangle it needs Alto to have feelings for both girls not just one. The way you seem to think it will play out makes the triangle just as bad as Sheryl fans who wanted this to end up like Zero's triangle in that Mao/Ranka only had a one sided crush.

No excitement, no drama, it's simply crap and not up to the high quality of triangles from Macross and Macross Plus and is something that belongs in Shana and Znt.

Quote:
The reason why Alto chose to go with Sheryl was not because of her. He didn't choose Sheryl, he chose the sky. There are also no overwhelming enthusiasm from Alto's part to get to Galia 4. He left Frontier masking a bitter face. His behavior was like: "I like the sky so I'm going to run away with this Sheryl and forget the others."
I do know the reason why he went to Galia IV.... *kamina voice* Who the hell do you think I am!!!?? */kamina voice*. Also the Alto being "wildly enthusiastic" scene I'm referring to is the one where's he's in his vf about to fold. If his voice and demeanor didn't tell you he was excited than I don't know what could.

Quote:
His concern for Sheryl is anything but romantic. He's her friend. Of course, he'll get concerned. Although, it would've been much nicer if he bothered to jump out of his Valkyrie just to get to where Sheryl is. And yes, in that same episode, he also valued Sheryl's sentiments which was why he took on those Zentradis by himself. However, this doesn't imply hidden romantic feelings from Alto. He will do the same thing for Michael and Luca.
Actually I think he values Luca more since he didn't wait for permission to charge into the Varja ship to rescue him unlike with Ranka!

Quote:
Notice how Alto didn't really have that much of a problem entrusting her to Michael lol Even if she's feeling ill, she's safe with Michael. He can breathe easy. When Ranka got kidnapped, he was willing enough to trust her and Michael to save Ranka.
What's your point? He trusts his friends to look after his friends?

Quote:
In 14, he grouped her with Michael after he used their fold pack.
The bolded words tell you why.

Quote:
Sheryl also made him promise to come back safely--take note, this is genuine concern coming from her already--but what did she get from the guy? A business-like appreciation. He looked at her eye to eye, yet he wasn't even surprised that Sheryl was showing this much concern about him. Her concern could not hit home.
Which goes back to my entire romantic pain debate which I won't bother to bring up here since 15 airs in a few hours and I won't be able to reply to you until 15 has aired anyway.

Quote:
Seeing Sheryl's lack of impact on Alto (compared to Ranka who is ALSO on the friend zone), how are you able to deduce that Alto's bound to feel the same way towards her once she stops playing around? Don't worry, I know it's definitely not because of Romance 101 and anime history or Kawamori history.
It was only 1.5 episodes ago when he was clearly moved by Sheryl to attempt something that would've been suicide so I wouldn't exactly be sprouting that Sheryl has a lack of impact on Alto if I were you.

Quote:
As things stand, Ranka matters to Alto as much as Alto matters to her. The two will gladly lay their life on the line for each other. Their flashbacks contain one another. They went to great lengths for each other's sake and shined while they're at it. You have to generate a better argument to show how Sheryl will able to break that honest bond once she realizes her own feelings. The Sheryl evidence from the show clearly isn't good enough. You might want to watch out for future episodes first and get some objective evidences for a change to promote your Sheryl ending.
I bolded the key words, just 3 episodes ago this statement is nowhere near true and how many episodes do we have left dear?

Quote:
Wasn't the reason Sheryl was attracted to Alto was because "he doesn't treat her as Sheryl Nome"? :| If I remember correctly, OD's whole point was that Alto can't easily be swayed by fame or looks. She is right. How is that a fallacy?
No no OD's point wasn't so much Alto can't easily be swayed by fame, it was more like Alto doesn't give a fuck about Sheryl's fame period, which got proven wrong 5 minutes later and in episode 5. Also since I saw you yourself later point out the jealousy thing doesn't that contradict your first reply to her post? Or maybe you missed that part the first time

Quote:
Yes, why don't you do this? Since the story itself doesn't portray Alto and Ranka's inclination to each other as a bad thing, it will be easier to debunk common misconceptions of Sheryl fans and get some facts straighten out.
Honestly I don't have the time to and my post will probably end up being a malicious parody of BleachOD's.. and I'll rather watch the Fresh Price of Bel Air DVD sets I just picked up a few days ago. Smell ya later.

Oh and I will reply to this, aside from this I just don't intend to do much else aside throw a few comments in every now and than for at least a few weeks.
Westlo is offline  
Old 2008-07-17, 09:10   Link #864
daimonth
Kohaku Law Firm
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_s_6 View Post
^The May 13 blog entry has been completely mis-translated by wherever you got it. I don't know where to start. Ackem, please.
Funny because the english translation in the romance thread and the other translation I got is almost identical, if its wrong then somehow they are both wrong?

From romance thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ickem View Post
2008-06-29

Title: Anyways, time to kill.

Hair growing on the heart;

"so such a phenomenon really does exist" is what I thought to myself.

For example, you hear stories about fungus growing in the lungs, right?

I figured that hair growing around the area of the heart was the same thing. Short fuzzz hair, that is.

Yesterday one of my classmates told me this and I was shocked.

"It grows there without me knowing??"

was how I felt...

I learned the true meaning of the saying earlier.

Anyways, tomorrow I am going kill them.

Sheryl
May 1?, 2059

I don't know what this saying really means so if anyone could enlighten me, I'd appreciate it.
The other translation:

Quote:
There is a saying 'hear growing on the heart', originally I thought a phenomenon like that actually happens.

It actually sounds like 'growing fungus on your lung!!' or some such. From that I thought it means growing hair from around your heart, short fuzzy hair.

Yesterday, was told by my classmate at school"What! It grew there without me knowing???" I was really surprised.

Just now I finally know its true meaning (Shameless). Anyways I am going to go punch that guy tomorrow.

Shery May 13, 2059
As you see they are very similar.. so what was the mistranslation? My understanding was that she was called that by Alto because she got a chef due to her disagreeing with cafe food. It seem like she got called that because she was surprised that it grew there without her knowing, then finally resolve to get Alto back when she learn of the actual meaning (likely when they are bickering over the phone later on that day just before she write the blog).
daimonth is offline  
Old 2008-07-17, 13:02   Link #865
ickem
シェリルの為に!
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by daimonth View Post
Funny because the english translation in the romance thread and the other translation I got is almost identical, if its wrong then somehow they are both wrong?

From romance thread...



The other translation:



As you see they are very similar.. so what was the mistranslation? My understanding was that she was called that by Alto because she got a chef due to her disagreeing with cafe food. It seem like she got called that because she was surprised that it grew there without her knowing, then finally resolve to get Alto back when she learn of the actual meaning (likely when they are bickering over the phone later on that day just before she write the blog).
The translations aren't wrong, but you are misunderstanding the meaning I think. Michel is probably the one who told her this. It seems that she heard this saying and took it's literal meaning so Michel "confirmed" that this phenomenon exists. That's why she thinks she has hair growing on her heart and wants to kick his ass after she finds out the truth.
ickem is offline  
Old 2008-07-17, 13:29   Link #866
daimonth
Kohaku Law Firm
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
The interpretation seem to fit the events on the blog more. It would also somewhat explain Alots action in ep 9. Furthermore most of others seem to stay well clear of Sheryl and Altos arguements. With Alto the major aggravating party. It would also explain Sheryls blog entry on infuriatating conversations.
daimonth is offline  
Old 2008-07-17, 21:24   Link #867
mike_s_6
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by daimonth View Post
May 13- Gets called 'hair growing on the heart' decides to beat the crap of 'the guy' who called her that the next day.
I just wanted to point out that she didn't get angry because someone told her that she's got hair growing on her heart (did someone tell her that she has it, or was someone just plainly talking about it?), she got angry because no one clarified it for her. And she was going to beat the crap out of everyone who made fun of her for being naive about the figure of speech.

I also don't think that the Macross staff will leave the blog entries as something that would be crucial to the actions of the characters. The animation will work and make sense regardless of the blog entries, but of course the blog wouldn't work without the animation. This is because the blog entries are just bonuses, some of the watchers of the animation could not have read the blog. Can you imagine the fans asking, "Why did that happen? Why that expression?" and the Macross F staff answering "Haven't you guys read the blog?"

I say Alto reacted adversely to Sheryl being in the school because of the wreck Sheryl she left the episode before, apart from her "Queen's slave" treatment of him. If he did beat up Alto, it's just a side story which would add up to his reaction, but it's not pivotal to the plot.
mike_s_6 is offline  
Old 2008-07-17, 23:21   Link #868
daimonth
Kohaku Law Firm
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
It seem like she was told that she has hair growing on her heart because she made a comment on, 'ah it grew there without me noticing/ knowing'. Furthermore it tied to the previous day blog entry where she said she'll get her own chef at the school cafe. (correct me if I am wrong because the metaphor means thick skinned/shameless I think.)So likely Alto made a sarcastic mark on that.

It also explains Altos complaining of Sheryl at begining of ep 9 since by the end of ep 8 where they share a moment flying and watching sunset it seem like their relationship was pretty amicable and she already released his slave debt to her. Also it explains Altos comment in the infirmary where he said, 'this one too, that one too all they know is attack from ambush.' That is right after he got socked by Michael and it seem like he was talking about 2 people. Then his next scene after he was told people all had their own reasons he was talking to Sheryl.

It would also explain Sheryls comment on missing the voice of someone even if the conversation can be infuriating, on may 15th since it was during their 'cold war'.

In the end this episode don't really add to the plot, its just a sidestory that is pretty interesting to note by ordering the blog entries. By midpoint ep9 the incident has already been blown.
daimonth is offline  
Old 2008-07-17, 23:23   Link #869
SymphonicRain
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by daimonth View Post
It seem like she was told that she has hair growing on her heart because she made a comment on, 'ah it grew there without me noticing/ knowing'. Furthermore it tied to the previous day blog entry where she said she'll get her own chef at the school cafe. (correct me if I am wrong because the metaphor means thick skinned/shameless I think.)So likely Alto made a sarcastic mark on that.

It also explains Altos complaining of Sheryl at begining of ep 9 since by the end of ep 8 where they share a moment flying and watching sunset it seem like their relationship was pretty amicable. Also it explains Altos comment in the infirmary where he said, 'this one too, that one too all they know is attack from ambush.' That is right after he got socked by Michael and it seem like he was talking about 2 people. Then his next scene after he was told people all had their own reasons he was talking to Sheryl.

It would also explain Sheryls comment on missing the voice of someone even if the conversation can be infuriating, on may 15th since it was during their 'cold war'.

In the end this episode don't really add to the plot, its just a sidestory that is pretty interesting to note by ordering the blog entries. By midpoint ep9 the incident has already been blown.
A curious way to look at things. So far I have no qualms with it and any further Sheryl X Alto progressions that seems believable is a HUGE +++ for me. ^.^
SymphonicRain is offline  
Old 2008-07-18, 00:12   Link #870
ReddyRedWolf
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
With Galaxy calling dibs on Ranka, I think old man Richard Birla may turn the tables on them and bring in discarded Sheryl as his trump card.
Even though I'm sure Birla had a hand in Ozma keeping Ranka and keeping her existence secret from Galaxy.

Can anybody say Super Nova 2059?
ReddyRedWolf is offline  
Old 2008-07-18, 00:38   Link #871
mike_s_6
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by daimonth View Post
It seem like she was told that she has hair growing on her heart because she made a comment on, 'ah it grew there without me noticing/ knowing'. Furthermore it tied to the previous day blog entry where she said she'll get her own chef at the school cafe. (correct me if I am wrong because the metaphor means thick skinned/shameless I think.)So likely Alto made a sarcastic mark on that.

It also explains Altos complaining of Sheryl at begining of ep 9 since by the end of ep 8 where they share a moment flying and watching sunset it seem like their relationship was pretty amicable and she already released his slave debt to her. Also it explains Altos comment in the infirmary where he said, 'this one too, that one too all they know is attack from ambush.' That is right after he got socked by Michael and it seem like he was talking about 2 people. Then his next scene after he was told people all had their own reasons he was talking to Sheryl.

It would also explain Sheryls comment on missing the voice of someone even if the conversation can be infuriating, on may 15th since it was during their 'cold war'.

In the end this episode don't really add to the plot, its just a sidestory that is pretty interesting to note by ordering the blog entries. By midpoint ep9 the incident has already been blown.
You know what I'm really surprised with, is that you're pretty convinced that this is exactly how it is. "It also explains..." should be "It could explain...", because most of what you're writing about are only your interpretations of what Sheryl wrote, with attempts to tie in everything she says with what is happening in the animation. With the rate you're going, you could tie in every single blog post of Sheryl to every single episode, just cherry pick the right characters and voila!
mike_s_6 is offline  
Old 2008-07-18, 00:48   Link #872
ani_d
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
With Galaxy calling dibs on Ranka, I think old man Richard Birla may turn the tables on them and bring in discarded Sheryl as his trump card.
Even though I'm sure Birla had a hand in Ozma keeping Ranka and keeping her existence secret from Galaxy.

Can anybody say Super Nova 2059?
I think Ozma knows something about Ranka. I also think Birla had something to do with how Ranka ended up with Ozma. It makes more sense that way. I think he would've had more trouble taking in a little girl legally if he didn't have any help from somewhere.

Ep 15 showed that Sheryl really loves Galaxy. It's her home. I think Sheryl and Ranka will have to work together somewhere near the end to take on the "big boss". That would give Sheryl some justification here. She needs to get even with Grace and her homies.
__________________
ani_d is offline  
Old 2008-07-18, 01:02   Link #873
mike_s_6
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_d View Post
Ep 15 showed that Sheryl really loves Galaxy. It's her home. I think Sheryl and Ranka will have to work together somewhere near the end to take on the "big boss". That would give Sheryl some justification here. She needs to get even with Grace and her homies.
Sheryl should shoot Grace's central server down.
mike_s_6 is offline  
Old 2008-07-18, 01:09   Link #874
ickem
シェリルの為に!
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_s_6 View Post
Sheryl should shoot Grace's central server down.
I long to see a scene of Sheryl climbing over the bloodied corpses of Grace and compatriots to reach her blue VF-25. Then she and Alto can fly off in search of a real endless sky.
ickem is offline  
Old 2008-07-18, 01:19   Link #875
mike_s_6
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Oh by the way, I think that the animators are keeping their tabs on how many times our two idol girls are animated well. Since we got the fluid Seikan Hikou of Ranka, we got to see Sheryl dance in this episode well, and when it was Ranka's turn to dance, it got superimposed with flashbacks.
mike_s_6 is offline  
Old 2008-07-18, 01:20   Link #876
daimonth
Kohaku Law Firm
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_s_6 View Post
You know what I'm really surprised with, is that you're pretty convinced that this is exactly how it is. "It also explains..." should be "It could explain...", because most of what you're writing about are only your interpretations of what Sheryl wrote, with attempts to tie in everything she says with what is happening in the animation. With the rate you're going, you could tie in every single blog post of Sheryl to every single episode, just cherry pick the right characters and voila!
Actually I thought the underlying understanding was IF the theory was true. Obviously its just a theory with likely support since it was not clearly shown. Eitherway whether you feel that way is up to you and that is all that I will write.
daimonth is offline  
Old 2008-07-18, 03:06   Link #877
Westlo
Lets be reality
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_s_6 View Post
Oh by the way, I think that the animators are keeping their tabs on how many times our two idol girls are animated well. Since we got the fluid Seikan Hikou of Ranka, we got to see Sheryl dance in this episode well, and when it was Ranka's turn to dance, it got superimposed with flashbacks.
Guess that supports Kawamori's statement of "I don't want one girl to overshadow the other" when it comes to those 2.
Westlo is offline  
Old 2008-07-18, 07:36   Link #878
cheesie
Dame Cheesie
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Spoiler for preview of Alto and Sheryl in next episode:


Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Guess that supports Kawamori's statement of "I don't want one girl to overshadow the other" when it comes to those 2.
Really? Where did he say that?
cheesie is offline  
Old 2008-07-18, 07:51   Link #879
magnuskn
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Age: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisis View Post
Spoiler for preview of Alto and Sheryl in next episode:
How did I miss that shot? Well, that either looks like an angry Alto confronting Sheryl with something or maybe he telling her something urgent. In both cases Sheryl doesn´t look too happy.

Last edited by magnuskn; 2008-07-18 at 08:07.
magnuskn is offline  
Old 2008-07-18, 07:59   Link #880
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Neu Herzogtum Zeon
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
How did I miss that shot? Well, that either looks like an angry Alto confronting with something or maybe Alto telling Sheryl something urgently. In both cases Sheryl doesn´t look too happy.
Quick, insert your own captions! Let the caption contest begin!



- Tak
__________________
- Flight to Brazil? $1,500
- FIFA Stadium Ticket? $500
- Witnessing Coach Joachim Löw crack a smile at the World-Cup Final? PRICELESS


There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there is Master Card.


Get strong like ROCK! Not weak like Barack! Putincize now!

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Tak is online now  
Closed Thread

Tags
characters

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:41.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.