AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Macross

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-08-17, 23:03   Link #1201
Wesley84
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneeshadc View Post
How is it pathetic? What do you expect her to do? Give in to the supposedly hopeless situation and not try to convince herself and others that there are other possibilities! The fact that she uses "I'm Sheryl" means that she is very much aware of their dire circumstances and not ignoring that she attempts to better their situation.
Would you have predicted Sheryl behaving this way at the prospect of dieing? The same Sheryl who jumped off of a building for a pair of panties? I'm sure most people would think Sheryl would have wanted to go out with a bang. Not accept shelter in a strangers house while waiting to die.

Quote:
There have been only been two scenes so far we've seen Sheryl crying. The concert scene in ep 7 and her breakdown in ep 18.While the first can be seen as crying for alto, u can hardly blame her, wud'nt u feel despair if somene u cared about was going to war, and there is also the possibility that her homeland ...well u get the picture.
She was faking in episode seven. Hell, what was the point to episode seven? It may as well have not happened if you ask me. And why the hell would she actually care about Alto at that point? They spent about half a day together, all totalled. As for her homeland, she's pretty darn Clintonesque whenever she talks about it. You know, the whole foreign stone cross on Normandy Beach or dancing to no music with your "wife". Not to mention not crying and then crying at a funeral the moment you notice a freakin' camera.

Quote:
In the latter scene, Its quite obvious Sheryl wasnt crying over Alto, She's crying because she's dying. She doesnt have a future to look forward to, with or without Alto. Her alto hallucination is nothing but her UNCONSCIOUSLY reaching out for Alto in her time of need, quite a human reaction, IMO.
I don't see why she cares about the guy. I don't see why Ranka does either. He's given way too much credit by the both of them.

Quote:
I loved the use of the DYRL song, it had quite an impact on me, very appropriate and heartbreaking, i actually cried.
Sounds like they wasted even more time paying homage to past series that I'm probably never going to watch.

Quote:
Again, its a wonder how u see sheryl as shallow & unsupportive with regards to Ranka. The series has been quite clear about it. And sheryls supportive words which you deem as shallow and empty were said at the right opportune moment and did have an impact on both Alto and ranka whether she and you recognize it or not. She not only offered words, but also offered her a spot in one of her programs in ep 8, i dont see why she would do that if she was looking down on her.
For someone who's supposedly so experienced, Sheryl doesn't actually relate to Ranka as an experienced person would. Remember Alto telling Ranka about actign? That's real advice, that's actually relating to someone on personal and professional level. Tossing words like fate around only sounds nice. As for a spot on her program, that's metaphorically Sheryl throwing Ranka a freakin' bone. Like she was a dog.

Quote:
Rightttttttt, Of course , She's supposed to appreciate her impending death as tragically beautiful since she is supposedly a dedicated artist
I really hope you can read the sarcasm there.
It's not really unprecedented you know. Dead artists are appreciated after their time. I'd imagine Sheryl would acknowledge and appreciate that fact, for whatever comfort it can provide.

Quote:
Come on , of course she's not taking the prospect of death well, She's not supposed too, I dont think anyone should.
Lots of people have handled impending doom better than Sheryl has and they were in much worse situations.

Quote:
Back in the shelter, they would have died in 15 minutes anyway, wat did they hav to lose in doing as she said... nothing! There was everything to gain and nothing to lose!
It was 11 minutes, and they did have something to lose: Time. This wasn't two weeks of searching a laybrinth, with food running out, and the prospect of rats nawing on your bones right in front of you. Sheryl freaks out, copes and attitude, and tries to kill everyone.

Quote:
Not True! She cares for a lot of things besides Alo and herself.
She hates life at Galaxy yet she despairs at its loss, that shows her care and attachment to it despite her horrible childhood.
I don't believe it.

Quote:
She loves her work and singing as indicated by her professionalism and her occasional bouts of muses during her star date with alto.
An underused and borderline non-existent phacet of her character.

Quote:
She cares about her fans because she has never neglected her responsibilities to sing for them or give an interview, unless she is ill of course.
Maintenace. Being Sherly requires alot of work.

Quote:
She cares enuf abt Klan & Michael to assure them that she is alright.
Assures herself you mean.

Quote:
She cares enuf abt ranka to offer a few words of encouragement here & there when she didnt have to.
Bones Ranka=puppy.

Quote:
She cares about life in general which is evident in her enjoyment,awe & appreciation of frontier during her star date. I think it is safe to assume that she has formed an attachment to frontier as wel.
At this point, episode five may as well not have happened. She hasn't lived up to it and it didn't set the stage for her characterization and developement, as it should have. Great episode, bad, awful, TERRRIBLE follow through.

Quote:
I'm sure she cared about Grace at some level, mayb not deeply though but definitely at some level as is evident by her hurt and anger at her betrayal. I dont even hav to touch on alto I believe, since ur already convinced of her attachment to him. Shes obviously in love with him.
Whew, think m done.
She took Grace for granted, as is evident by Grace's contempt for Sheryl. Ungrateful brat most defininently.
Wesley84 is offline  
Old 2008-08-17, 23:34   Link #1202
MaiHikari
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teletha View Post
How bout trying to be rational and have a discussion? Or if you'd like you can continue talking to yourself while most people have you on ignore.
Bingo. A dialogue is not just two people talking. It requires listening. Otherwise, it's just two monologues. It has been two monologues. One using convincing evidence and the other throws outrageous lies trolling for response.
MaiHikari is offline  
Old 2008-08-17, 23:53   Link #1203
justinstrife
Queen Sheryl's Protector
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: John Galt Railroad
Age: 34
Send a message via AIM to justinstrife Send a message via Skype™ to justinstrife
Teletha, for the love of God stop quoting that troll. You're about get negative reps and put on my ignore list if you do not stop.

Almost every one else has him on ignore for good reasons...
justinstrife is offline  
Old 2008-08-18, 00:02   Link #1204
Teletha
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Texas
I'm so sorry, even after I asked someone else not to quote him. Really. He's back on ignore. I didn't think he was that unreasonable. Or maybe I forgot. and I deleted my replies.
Teletha is offline  
Old 2008-08-18, 00:17   Link #1205
solothurn
銀河妖精親衛隊・隊長
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Behind you.
I think I understand now why you people have him on ignore. Trying to have a decent discussion with him seems like an exercise in futility.
solothurn is offline  
Old 2008-08-18, 00:22   Link #1206
Wesley84
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Please don't hurt yourselves patting yourselves on the back.
Wesley84 is offline  
Old 2008-08-18, 00:33   Link #1207
kilroy0097
Michiko Malandro = Sexy
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bryan/College Station, Texas USA
Age: 39
Though part of me wishes that the ignore function gave you the option to at least see the post if you pushed a "Show Post" button. That way you could check out what was being said every once in a while. You never know, lightning might strike and the planets might become aligned.
kilroy0097 is offline  
Old 2008-08-18, 00:51   Link #1208
justinstrife
Queen Sheryl's Protector
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: John Galt Railroad
Age: 34
Send a message via AIM to justinstrife Send a message via Skype™ to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilroy0097 View Post
Though part of me wishes that the ignore function gave you the option to at least see the post if you pushed a "Show Post" button. That way you could check out what was being said every once in a while. You never know, lightning might strike and the planets might become aligned.
In some circumstances and situations I could see that.

With him though, I cannot.

Thanks Teletha.
justinstrife is offline  
Old 2008-08-18, 00:56   Link #1209
magnuskn
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Age: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilroy0097 View Post
Though part of me wishes that the ignore function gave you the option to at least see the post if you pushed a "Show Post" button. That way you could check out what was being said every once in a while. You never know, lightning might strike and the planets might become aligned.
Erm. It does. Right side above the post. Named "View post".
magnuskn is offline  
Old 2008-08-18, 01:20   Link #1210
kilroy0097
Michiko Malandro = Sexy
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bryan/College Station, Texas USA
Age: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Erm. It does. Right side above the post. Named "View post".
Doh it's off to the top right in that grey area. I didn't even notice that.
kilroy0097 is offline  
Old 2008-08-18, 01:30   Link #1211
aneeshadc
Junior member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Calgary
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
Would you have predicted Sheryl behaving this way at the prospect of dieing? The same Sheryl who jumped off of a building for a pair of panties? I'm sure most people would think Sheryl would have wanted to go out with a bang. Not accept shelter in a strangers house while waiting to die.
Yes, It was perfectly in character for her to be affected by her impending death or are you saying that you believe her to have magical super human strength that wud hav her defy her own mortality
I think ep 8 wasnt mean to be taken as seriously as sm of us have. Her single-minded focus on retrieving her panties was I think to reveal her go-getter personality. I personally found the ep funny though while trying to retrieve her panties was very much in character, not even realizing that she jumped off a building in the process was not. BUt because that led to a romantic flight in the sky, im not going to complain. Im female you see, so consequently a little more forgiving of the tad bit of inconsistency in her character. nyway that scene was more to emphasize her gogetter personality than anythin else.
Most people would think that going out wasnt in her agenda at all much less with a bang




Quote:
She was faking in episode seven. Hell, what was the point to episode seven? It may as well have not happened if you ask me. And why the hell would she actually care about Alto at that point? They spent about half a day together, all totalled. As for her homeland, she's pretty darn Clintonesque whenever she talks about it. You know, the whole foreign stone cross on Normandy Beach or dancing to no music with your "wife". Not to mention not crying and then crying at a funeral the moment you notice a freakin' camera.
Hw did you come to the conclusion that she was faking? She seemed genuine to me moreso because she herself was quite surprised by her tears, they just flowed out in response to her inner turmoil, She didnt want to cry in front of the camera, its smthing that just happened.
I agree that she didnt know Alto well enuf to cry for him there, like i said in my earlier post sm might take that scene like she was crying for him. I think it was a combination of her anxiety at galaxy's fate as well as the fact that she might never again see the only person that she ever connected with and who saw her as a normal person. Wen u think abt it , it is kinda daunting to feel that way.




Quote:
I don't see why she cares about the guy. I don't see why Ranka does either. He's given way too much credit by the both of them.
Well, I disagree. I quite like Alto. In fact I dont see y either girl should feel that he has to return their feelings. As far as I can see everything he has done for either of them falls under the realm of friendship, smthing I would expect any of my guy friends to do for me. But I also have to say that the things he's done for sheryl though has stronger romantic undertones as opposed to things he's done for ranka, IMO. His only fault is that he seems oblivious to their feelings, causing the girls much heartahe and leaving us viewers with a huge headache and the need to slap some sense into him. I really think he is leaning towards sheryl though and if it was the real world, she would win hands down.
So as far as i'm concerned, he's been a good friend to either of them ( not counting the times he's been a jerk to them cos he has been there for them wen they really needed him except that people tend to apply romantic feelings to his actions, me included, hell I want to)


Quote:
Sounds like they wasted even more time paying homage to past series that I'm probably never going to watch.
Really?, I havnt watched the other macross series either but i enjoy reading older macross fans excited posts about the many homage scenes... kinda makes me wanna go see the other macross series just to feel their excitement, though I am probably too lazy to follow up on it.




Quote:
For someone who's supposedly so experienced, Sheryl doesn't actually relate to Ranka as an experienced person would. Remember Alto telling Ranka about actign? That's real advice, that's actually relating to someone on personal and professional level. Tossing words like fate around only sounds nice. As for a spot on her program, that's metaphorically Sheryl throwing Ranka a freakin' bone. Like she was a dog.
Well. I dunno. I think she was trying to help as much as she could, though considering that her route to fame was different from ranka's might have something to do with it. Her advice is linked to fate becos fate & Grace had a major hand in bringing her in contact with fame still that is not to say that sheryl did not work as much as ranka did but that she grabbed the opporunity that fate and Grace offered her and strove to make it a reality. You cannot deny that.
Well once again i fail to see ( though i understand y u relate ranka to a puppy, she does rather seem like one y u see sheryl's encouragement as bones.



Quote:
It's not really unprecedented you know. Dead artists are appreciated after their time. I'd imagine Sheryl would acknowledge and appreciate that fact, for whatever comfort it can provide.
Which Is Zero Comfort. I do not see Death as comforting, inevitable yes but comforting no. It' s natural to feel off for a certain period of time wen smthing unexpected happens. We all know we're going to die some day , but to know for sure that you r going to die and much sooner than u thought is very off-putting. Sure, u learn to deal with it in time but not until after the initial phase of depression. You learn to deal with it But you dont ever get over someting like that.You just eventually accept it as part of your life and make the best of the situation as u see fit, Which is what sheryl is trying to do.



Quote:
Lots of people have handled impending doom better than Sheryl has and they were in much worse situations.
Define better in your terms cos i'm at a loss as to hw to explain to u y I find sheryl's behaviour to be quite appropriate in her situation.



Quote:
It was 11 minutes, and they did have something to lose: Time. This wasn't two weeks of searching a laybrinth, with food running out, and the prospect of rats nawing on your bones right in front of you. Sheryl freaks out, copes and attitude, and tries to kill everyone.
In 15/11 minutes the air circulation would be cut, so no air to breathe in and out! Alto did try to set it right but couldnt and gave up. They would have sat there waiting for the air to completely thin out and for them to stop breathing IF Sheryl hadnt tried to defy fate and do smthing abt their current situation. There wasnt anyother option other than the Sheryl Nome Way.



Quote:
I don't believe it.

An underused and borderline non-existent phacet of her character.

Maintenace. Being Sherly requires alot of work.
Well, u've convinced urself this is the case & thats all that matters.
You can take a horse to the pond but u cant force it to drink from it. sigh






Quote:
Assures herself you mean
Nope becos by that time she already knows the truth in Grace's revelations confirmed by Klan's research and as soon as she is alone she breaks down by the enormity of the realization of that truth. When she is with them she notices their worry and the fact that they were inclined to tell alto abt her condition which is y she assures them that she is alright on her own and that alto doesnt need to know.



Quote:
Bones Ranka=puppy.
Ranka=puppy, understandable bones= encouragement



Quote:
At this point, episode five may as well not have happened. She hasn't lived up to it and it didn't set the stage for her characterization and developement, as it should have. Great episode, bad, awful, TERRRIBLE follow through.
I agree with you, they could have done a better job with her. But despite that I still like what they've done with her and like her as a character Becos besides that teenyweeny bit of inconsistancy in ep 8, they hav done a good job otherwise.



Quote:
She took Grace for granted, as is evident by Grace's contempt for Sheryl. Ungrateful brat most defininently.
Did not take her for granted, otherwise dhe wouldnt hav worked her ass out to be considered a professional. You have to have realized that grace kept her under lock and key. Its obvious she has never taken time off from her work before star date, she says so in one of her blog entries. Grace has done nothing for her except provided her an opportunity, and make her schedule for her. Sheryl has responded in kind by not shirking her duties.
Grace's contempt is because she views Sheryl as an experimental subject, nothing more. Grace hasnt been a maternal presence in Sheryl's life that she ought to feel grateful for. So y must Sheryl acknowledge with gratitude. They have always had an impersonal relationship from the very beginning. Sheryl believed her talent and hardwork were the reasons Grace was her manager which is y she has worked her ass out to be professional and deficient in any manner so as to not give her a reason to complain about her work ethics

Last edited by aneeshadc; 2008-08-18 at 02:44.
aneeshadc is offline  
Old 2008-08-18, 01:32   Link #1212
aneeshadc
Junior member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Calgary
Age: 25
Guess I didnt do the Quoting right. sigh
aneeshadc is offline  
Old 2008-08-18, 02:18   Link #1213
lone_wolf
bike mechanic onna
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Somewhere in California
Age: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneeshadc View Post
Guess I didnt do the Quoting right. sigh
No worries...You could still fix it. From what I can see in your tags, your beginning "quote" tag needs full brackets

Beginning tag: []

End tag: [/]


--Lone Wolf
一匹狼
__________________
===================
Wolfie's Online Portfolio
http://www.wolfies-den.com/

Projekt MUSE is Back! Girls, Guns, Mecha and More!
http://www.projektmuse.com/

Lone Wolf's World of Popculture Goodies
Latest news on Comics, Manga, Anime, Video Game, Etc...
http://www.lw-concepts.com/lw
lone_wolf is offline  
Old 2008-08-18, 02:23   Link #1214
kilroy0097
Michiko Malandro = Sexy
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bryan/College Station, Texas USA
Age: 39
You are putting the bracket at the end of your first quote command for each line. Go back and do that.
Code:
 *left bracket*quote*right bracket* the stuff in the middle [/quote]

If you want to have someone's nickname listed then..

[quote=Nickname] Main body  *ending quote command*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilroy
This is a test

Last edited by kilroy0097; 2008-08-18 at 02:33.
kilroy0097 is offline  
Old 2008-08-18, 02:38   Link #1215
Wesley84
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneeshadc View Post
Yes, It was perfectly in character for her to be affected by her impending death or are you saying that you believe her to have magical super human strength that wud hav her defy her own mortality
I think ep 8 wasnt mean to be taken as seriously as sm of us have. Her single-minded focus on retrieving her panties was I think to reveal her go-getter personality. I personally found the ep funny though while trying to retrieve her panties was very much in character, not even realizing that she jumped off a building in the process was not. BUt because that led to a romantic flight in the sky, im not going to complain. Im female you see, so consequently a little more forgiving of the tad bit of inconsistency in her character. nyway that scene was more to emphasize her gogetter personality than anythin else.
Most people would think that going out wasnt in her agenda at all much less with a bang
Except she clearly wants to die on her own terms, if the freak out in the shelter is any indication. I guess being sick and dying doesn't suit her, but rather than being angry about it, she keeps crying.

Actually there's some kind of acceptance phase that involes denial, anger, etc. in regard to death. I wonder if they're using it for Sheryl's character?

Quote:
Hw did you come to the conclusion that she was faking? She seemed genuine to me moreso because she herself was quite surprised by her tears, they just flowed out in response to her inner turmoil, She didnt want to cry in front of the camera, its smthing that just happened.
Partially because she's a professional bullshitter, as evident from the previous episode when she did some PR work at request of the government. Partially because it's just not believeable she'd care about Alto in any particular way at that point. And partially because crying like that just looked so damn good and it obviously played to the audience as well as Ranka. She couldn't have planned it better, which is why I think she DID plan it. Or possibly ablibbed a bit.

Quote:
I agree that she didnt know Alto well enuf to cry for him there, like i said in my earlier post sm might take that scene like she was crying for him. I think it was a combination of her anxiety at galaxy's fate as well as the fact that she might never again see the only person that she ever connected with and who saw her as a normal person. Wen u think abt it , it is kinda daunting to feel that way.
I think if they seriously wanted her to care about Galaxy, they'd have shown her having a more active interest in the search for it, as well as rumors. Rather than playing hookie at Alto's stupid school.

Quote:
Well, I disagree. I quite like Alto. In fact I dont see y either girl should feel that he has to return their feelings. As far as I can see everything he has done for either of them falls under the realm of friendship, smthing I would expect any of my guy friends to do for me. But I also have to say that the things he's done for sheryl though has stronger romantic undertones as opposed to things he's done for ranka, IMO. His only fault is that he seems oblivious to their feelings, causing the girls much heartahe and leaving us viewers with a huge headache and the need to slap some sense into him. I really think he is leaning towards sheryl though and if it was the real world, she would win hands down.
I get the feeling Alto isn't really interested in either of them. He's just playing the part because it's the role he was made for.

Quote:
Really?, I havnt watched the other macross series either but i enjoy reading older macross fans excited posts about the many homage scenes... kinda makes me wanna go see the other macross series just to feel their excitement, though I am probably too lazy to follow up on it.
Yeah, fans get excited, but I think most of the homage is just tossed in for that reason. Not that it actually works with the scene or episode or whatever. You should take the established universe, respect the parameters set within it, and create a story within those guidelines. Not harken back to days of old that has no bearing on the present.

Quote:
Well. I dunno. I think she was trying to help as much as she could, though considering that her route to fame was different from ranka's might have something to do with it.
I'm not really faulting Sheryl for chucking fortune cookies at Ranka. I am saying her "help" wasn't as helpful as people like to pretend it was, and that it would have served both characters if Ranka and Sheryl actually tried to relate to one another. We get to know more about Sheryl, Ranka gets some useful information and learns what she might expect. That sort of thing.

Quote:
Her advice is linked to fate becos fate & Grace had a major hand in bringing her in contact with fame still that is not to say that sheryl did not work as much as ranka did but that she grabbed the opporunity that fate and Grace offered her and strove to make it a reality. You cannot deny that.
I'm crediting Grace with a personal and meticulious upbringing of Sheryl. I imagine Sheryl did manage to meet most of Grace's expectations, but she was handed every tool she'd need to fullfill her role. She was given singing, dance, lessons, boxing to boost her confidence and athletism, along with medication to supress her disease ridden body.

Of course there's a good chance Grace didn't interact with Sheryl at all. Sheryl's never regarded Grace as a parental figure, and even when Sheryl confronted Grace about her working with Ranka, it was all about why not Sheryl, instead of why Grace. It's just hard to imagine Grace not having a hands on approach to Sheryl's developement.

Quote:
Well once again i fail to see ( though i understand y u relate ranka to a puppy, she does rather seem like one y u see sheryl's encouragement as bones.
It's simple. Sheryl sees Ranka as a puppy, pats her head, tells her she's a good girl, and this is affirming for Ranka. Rinse and repeat.

Quote:
Which Is Zero Comfort. I do not see Death as comforting, inevitable yes but comforting no. It' s natural to feel off for a certain period of time wen smthing unexpected happens. We all know we're going to die some day , but to know for sure that you r going to die and much sooner than u thought is very off-putting. Sure, u learn to deal with it in time but not until after the initial phase of depression. You learn to deal with it But you dont ever get over someting like that.You just eventually accept it as part of your life and make the best of the situation as u see fit, Which is what sheryl is trying to do.
People cope with dying in different ways. I just think that for artists, actors, and musicians, that if they're going to die, they'll at least have left something of themselves behind, which usually benefits from them actually being gone. But no, all Sheryl can evidently think about is Alto and everything she's "lost". Can't even comfort herself.

Quote:
Define better in your terms cos i'm at a loss as to hw to explain to u y I find sheryl's behaviour to be quite appropriate in her situation.
What do you mean?

Quote:
In 15/11 minutes the air circulation would be cut, so no air to breathe in and out! Alto did try to set it right but couldnt and gave up. They would have sat there waiting for the air to completely thin out and for them to stop breathing IF Sheryl hadnt tried to defy fate and do smthing abt their current situation. There wasnt anyother option other than the Sheryl Nome Way.
Yes! Open the air lock and make certain they die! The Sheryl Nome way!

Quote:
Well, u've convinced urself this is the case & thats all that matters.
You can take a horse to the pond but u cant force it to drink from it. sigh
Kinda. In a way it's my challenging the writing staff to prove me wrong.

I would expect most people to agree with me that "Creative Sheryl" hasn't been used nearly enough. You know, the Sheryl that wrote song lyrics on a giant pair of panties? Where the hell did she go?

Quote:
Nope becos by that time she already knows the truth in Grace's revelations confirmed by Klan's research and as soon as she is alone she breaks down by the enormity of the realization of that truth. When she is with them she notices their worry and the fact that they were inclined to tell alto abt her condition which is y she assures them that she is alright on her own and that alto doesnt need to know.
Because she wants to tell him so they can have a good cry together. You know, make the scene where it'd be most effective.

Quote:
Ranka=puppy, understandable bones= encouragement
Explained above.

Quote:
I agree with you, they could have done a better job with her. But despite that I still like what they've done with her and like her as a character Becos besides that teenyweeny bit of inconsistancy in ep 8, they hav done a good job otherwise.
Not at all. She's spent way too much freakin' time with Alto, and otherwise jealous of Ranka. She's such a damn poser and walks all over people, who just roll over for her. Sheryl's even said herself on one occasion, that people are sheep, and that's evidently very true in Macross Frontier.

Quote:
Did not take her for granted, otherwise dhe wouldnt hav worked her ass out to be considered a professional. You have to have realized that grace kept her under lock and key. Its obvious she has never taken time off from her work before star date, she says so in one of her blog entries. Grace has done nothing for her except provided her an opportunity, and make her schedule for her. Sheryl has responded in kind by not shirking her duties.
I say taken for granted because of how she responded to Grace. Instead of asking why Grace left Sheryl, she asks why Ranka and not Sheryl. I didn't get the impression that Sheryl considered Grace a friend, least of all a parent, from that scene. She was just this somebody that provided for her and gave her everything she needed.

Quote:
Grace's contempt is because she views Sheryl as an experimental subject, nothing more. Grace hasnt been a maternal presence in Sheryl's life that she ought to feel grateful for. So y must Sheryl acknowledge with gratitude. They have always had an impersonal relationship from the very beginning. Sheryl believed her talent and hardwork were the reasons Grace was her manager which is y she has worked her ass out to be professional and deficient in any manner so as to not give her a reason to complain about her work ethics
I'm curious to just how much interaction Grace has had with Sheryl. If Grace is someone that's been with Sheryl for a very long time, there's no reason for Sheryl to see Grace as just her manager.
Wesley84 is offline  
Old 2008-08-18, 02:45   Link #1216
aneeshadc
Junior member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Calgary
Age: 25
yay! thanx lone wolf, kilioy.
aneeshadc is offline  
Old 2008-08-18, 03:08   Link #1217
aneeshadc
Junior member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Calgary
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
Except she clearly wants to die on her own terms, if the freak out in the shelter is any indication. I guess being sick and dying doesn't suit her, but rather than being angry about it, she keeps crying.

Actually there's some kind of acceptance phase that involes denial, anger, etc. in regard to death. I wonder if they're using it for Sheryl's character?



Partially because she's a professional bullshitter, as evident from the previous episode when she did some PR work at request of the government. Partially because it's just not believeable she'd care about Alto in any particular way at that point. And partially because crying like that just looked so damn good and it obviously played to the audience as well as Ranka. She couldn't have planned it better, which is why I think she DID plan it. Or possibly ablibbed a bit.



I think if they seriously wanted her to care about Galaxy, they'd have shown her having a more active interest in the search for it, as well as rumors. Rather than playing hookie at Alto's stupid school.



I get the feeling Alto isn't really interested in either of them. He's just playing the part because it's the role he was made for.



Yeah, fans get excited, but I think most of the homage is just tossed in for that reason. Not that it actually works with the scene or episode or whatever. You should take the established universe, respect the parameters set within it, and create a story within those guidelines. Not harken back to days of old that has no bearing on the present.



I'm not really faulting Sheryl for chucking fortune cookies at Ranka. I am saying her "help" wasn't as helpful as people like to pretend it was, and that it would have served both characters if Ranka and Sheryl actually tried to relate to one another. We get to know more about Sheryl, Ranka gets some useful information and learns what she might expect. That sort of thing.



I'm crediting Grace with a personal and meticulious upbringing of Sheryl. I imagine Sheryl did manage to meet most of Grace's expectations, but she was handed every tool she'd need to fullfill her role. She was given singing, dance, lessons, boxing to boost her confidence and athletism, along with medication to supress her disease ridden body.

Of course there's a good chance Grace didn't interact with Sheryl at all. Sheryl's never regarded Grace as a parental figure, and even when Sheryl confronted Grace about her working with Ranka, it was all about why not Sheryl, instead of why Grace. It's just hard to imagine Grace not having a hands on approach to Sheryl's developement.



It's simple. Sheryl sees Ranka as a puppy, pats her head, tells her she's a good girl, and this is affirming for Ranka. Rinse and repeat.



People cope with dying in different ways. I just think that for artists, actors, and musicians, that if they're going to die, they'll at least have left something of themselves behind, which usually benefits from them actually being gone. But no, all Sheryl can evidently think about is Alto and everything she's "lost". Can't even comfort herself.



What do you mean?



Yes! Open the air lock and make certain they die! The Sheryl Nome way!



Kinda. In a way it's my challenging the writing staff to prove me wrong.

I would expect most people to agree with me that "Creative Sheryl" hasn't been used nearly enough. You know, the Sheryl that wrote song lyrics on a giant pair of panties? Where the hell did she go?



Because she wants to tell him so they can have a good cry together. You know, make the scene where it'd be most effective.



Explained above.



Not at all. She's spent way too much freakin' time with Alto, and otherwise jealous of Ranka. She's such a damn poser and walks all over people, who just roll over for her. Sheryl's even said herself on one occasion, that people are sheep, and that's evidently very true in Macross Frontier.



I say taken for granted because of how she responded to Grace. Instead of asking why Grace left Sheryl, she asks why Ranka and not Sheryl. I didn't get the impression that Sheryl considered Grace a friend, least of all a parent, from that scene. She was just this somebody that provided for her and gave her everything she needed.



I'm curious to just how much interaction Grace has had with Sheryl. If Grace is someone that's been with Sheryl for a very long time, there's no reason for Sheryl to see Grace as just her manager.
Whoa... talk about hitting a deadend! there is no reasoning with you is there?
I dont expect you to agree with me but ur Blind hatred of Sheryl really goes to extreme levels. I'll try to reason out with u sm more tom , m really too sleepy to respond tonight. Gdnite, really hope ur more uh reasonable tom
aneeshadc is offline  
Old 2008-08-18, 05:35   Link #1218
kilroy0097
Michiko Malandro = Sexy
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bryan/College Station, Texas USA
Age: 39
I have to admit that I agree with Wesley84 on some of his points but not all. A few of the paragraphs he said in that post above I do see where he is coming from but only because I am one of the few that doesn't give Sheryl an automatic passing grade for being Sheryl. I think she has serious weaknesses in her character which is what makes her interesting and not ordinary. Meanwhile while Ranka is cute and cuddly she doesn't have all the depth that Sheryl has and so doesn't garner as much of a fan base. Drama attracts fans. Once again as a disclaimer I enjoy both Sheryl and Ranka as characters.
kilroy0097 is offline  
Old 2008-08-18, 06:19   Link #1219
magnuskn
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Age: 39
Aneeshadc, please stop quoting Whiney. A score of people have him on ignore, for a good reason.
magnuskn is offline  
Old 2008-08-18, 07:14   Link #1220
Tak
Banned
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Neu Herzogtum Zeon
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Aneeshadc, please stop quoting Whiney. A score of people have him on ignore, for a good reason.
Or if you must, use the spoiler tag, and add a warning label.

- Tak
Tak is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
characters

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:03.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.