AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-08-25, 10:25   Link #1381
stray
aniki
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampstorm View Post
Er... no. stray is stray. But if you didn't catch the joke, don't worry about it.
Damn skippy! Although, I can not take credit for coining the expression *cough*cough*

Quote:
I think you may need to give an update on how the current episodes fit in with your views. Episode ten was quite a while ago.
That was moreso my point... I think...
stray is offline  
Old 2008-08-25, 10:54   Link #1382
cerrian
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
dammit Tak! Where are you? We need you to bring this thread back on course.
cerrian is offline  
Old 2008-08-25, 11:13   Link #1383
Teletha
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Texas
indr0008 don't feed the troll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampstorm
Hmm... you're right. Orihime isn't all that bad.
True. Orihime >>>>>> Ranka
Teletha is offline  
Old 2008-08-25, 11:18   Link #1384
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleachOD View Post
Um...Can you read? I said if you aren't going to take it seriously I won't write one. That post was short...(um responding to me, makes it look like you have nothing better to do yourself. Don't bother with the "NO LIFE " jokes, we are in the same boat so it will just roll right off of me)
Um, no, that's not what you said. You said if people took it seriously, you'd do the shipping thing. Which is not really something that many people want IMO because of the sheer wtfness of some of your comments. So if you were trying to discourage people from taking your post seriously, then it worked very well.

Of course, unless you were somehow laboring under the impression that people wanted you to do your shipping -_-

Quote:
Again speak for yourself. I don't have that problem. Director or creator? Just because you have to rely on that. Does not mean that I do. The story is told through the characters. I pay attention to the characters and their behavior. <--how many times must I say that?!
I somehow doubt your attention to detail. Especially considering all the inconsistencies in your post that the other forumers are pointing out to you. Plus, what makes you think the others don't pay attention to the characters and behaviour as well? Between those who pay attention to the chars and behaviour and know the habits of the director, I'd think they have a higher chance of being correct than someone who just claims to pay attention to the chars and so on.

Quote:
Stop assuming that everyone needs to know his habits, because you do.
No one needs to know his habits. But of course, it helps to know the directors habits.
__________________
God is on the side with the biggest cannon.

http://sining83.blogspot.com
evil|plushie is offline  
Old 2008-08-25, 13:37   Link #1385
stray
aniki
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by evil|plushie View Post
Um, no, that's not what you said. You said if people took it seriously, you'd do the shipping thing. Which is not really something that many people want IMO because of the sheer wtfness of some of your comments. So if you were trying to discourage people from taking your post seriously, then it worked very well.

Of course, unless you were somehow laboring under the impression that people wanted you to do your shipping -_-
Shipping goggles are shipping goggles... whether they be OD's venom colored variety or someone like Swampy's overtly rose colored. (<3 you Swamp ) But all things considered, there's not many others who are really doing in depth character dissections. While I don't necessarily agree with all of what OD said, she made some solid points, some of which got lost in a sea of comebacks, and others which... she never got back to us on

Personally, I'm all about the SkullFairy pairing. But... there's no way in hell I'm going to agree to Sheryl's birthday gift to Alto not being the cockblock of the 2050's. I don't care if it's not a popular viewpoint, I care that it's accurate and consistent with it's presentation in the story. It was too much too soon; She got burned for it, she took it for what it was, and... we are where we are now, 9 episodes later. There's no real point nitpicking things that far back... best you can really do is put it into perspective with regard to where the character is now. However, if you can't take a characters strengths and weaknesses, failures and successes into account when doing a dissection... it's not even a dissection, it's just propaganda. Even more importantly, IMO anyway, if you can't appreciate a character's epic failings, I think it makes their greatest successes that much less meaningful.

Anyway... ganbatte Alto?

Last edited by stray; 2008-08-25 at 13:55. Reason: more wordiness
stray is offline  
Old 2008-08-25, 16:01   Link #1386
Swampstorm
Lovestruck Fool?
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Nothing is ever that clear cut, stray.

It's difficult to talk about "accuracy" with regards to a story, since many of the things that we call "facts" are often just a matter of concensus. Most of our discussions boil down to differences in interpretation.

The story presents us with some dialogue and some facial expressions, but it's ultimately up to us to weave those two together in a way that forms a consistant picture of the characters. Everyone is wearing goggles, and everyone has their own tint. You can either embrace this and try to understand how you filter what you see, or you can deny it and try to convince yourself that your tint is clear. People who try to be "unbiased" end up just as biased as everyone else.

You can't discuss "strengths" and "weaknesses" without first passing judgement on a character. It's easy enough for me to come up with a long list of Sheryl's "flaws"; yet at the same time, these are all qualities for which I love her character. The reason for this is because I find something that I can enjoy about them, rather than condemning her based on these traits.

I think it's more valuable to be able to understand why you consider certain traits to be strengths and others to be weaknesses. If you can't even dissect your own feelings, how can you dissect the feelings of the characters?

And yes, this is propaganda.

Ganbatte Sheryl!
__________________
Swampstorm is offline  
Old 2008-08-25, 16:55   Link #1387
magnuskn
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Age: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampstorm View Post
Ganbatte Sheryl!
Wait, now, is it "Ganbatte Sheryl!" or "Sheryl, ganbatte!". I don´t want to say it the wrong way around all the time.
magnuskn is offline  
Old 2008-08-25, 17:17   Link #1388
Darial
Otaku in disguise
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Somewhere in Cyberspace
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Wait, now, is it "Ganbatte Sheryl!" or "Sheryl, ganbatte!". I don´t want to say it the wrong way around all the time.
It can be said either way in Japanese. Sorta like "Hang in there Sheryl!" or "Sheryl, hang in there!" So pick which way you like to say it and put your heart into it!!!
Darial is offline  
Old 2008-08-25, 17:42   Link #1389
magnuskn
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Age: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darial View Post
It can be said either way in Japanese. Sorta like "Hang in there Sheryl!" or "Sheryl, hang in there!" So pick which way you like to say it and put your heart into it!!!
Much obliged. I always thought it meant "Go get him, Sheryl!", though...
magnuskn is offline  
Old 2008-08-25, 17:54   Link #1390
stray
aniki
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampstorm View Post
Nothing is ever that clear cut, stray.

It's difficult to talk about "accuracy" with regards to a story, since many of the things that we call "facts" are often just a matter of concensus. Most of our discussions boil down to differences in interpretation.
Because someone disagrees with the "consensus," does that make it instantly wrong, or dismissable? Personally, I disagree with alot of what the consensus is with regard to skullfairy, even though I am still pulling for the pairing. Moreover, I appreciate the few Ranka ships that still make their way into suki waters for bringing a different perspective, even it it's one that I also disagree with.

Quote:
The story presents us with some dialogue and some facial expressions, but it's ultimately up to us to weave those two together in a way that forms a consistant picture of the characters. Everyone is wearing goggles, and everyone has their own tint. You can either embrace this and try to understand how you filter what you see, or you can deny it and try to convince yourself that your tint is clear. People who try to be "unbiased" end up just as biased as everyone else.
I've got blu-blockers on personally

...and I'm definitely biased against "consensus"

Quote:
You can't discuss "strengths" and "weaknesses" without first passing judgement on a character. It's easy enough for me to come up with a long list of Sheryl's "flaws"; yet at the same time, these are all qualities for which I love her character. The reason for this is because I find something that I can enjoy about them, rather than condemning her based on these traits.

I think it's more valuable to be able to understand why you consider certain traits to be strengths and others to be weaknesses. If you can't even dissect your own feelings, how can you dissect the feelings of the characters?
Nothing is ever that clear cut, Swampy...

It's not strictly an issue of condemnation or admiration, that's ignoring the countless shades of grey inbetween. Grand scheme of things, though, I think it's more an issue of decisions and their impact longer term, rather than feelings per se especially at this juncture.

Regardless, I think I've been pretty inconsistently consistent up til now at least...
stray is offline  
Old 2008-08-25, 18:08   Link #1391
Tak
DIN = DAS IST NORM!
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Neu Fürstentum Zeon
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerrian View Post
dammit Tak! Where are you? We need you to bring this thread back on course.
Alright you weak sauce(s), its time to correct your actions!

Spoiler for THIS IS THE PROPER WAY TO CHEER FOR THE GALACTIC FAIRY!:


- Tak
__________________
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

MACROSS FANS, COME JOIN THE FUN!!
Tak is offline  
Old 2008-08-25, 18:15   Link #1392
indr0008
Physicist
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Singapore, NTU to be precise
Age: 27
Send a message via MSN to indr0008 Send a message via Yahoo to indr0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Alright you weak sauce(s), its time to correct your actions!

Spoiler for THIS IS THE PROPER WAY TO CHEER FOR THE GALACTIC FAIRY!:


- Tak
translation please
indr0008 is offline  
Old 2008-08-25, 18:16   Link #1393
Tak
DIN = DAS IST NORM!
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Neu Fürstentum Zeon
Quote:
Originally Posted by indr0008 View Post
translation please
Cmon, its all over the board, Ganbatte Sheryl! or Go for it, Sheryl!

- Tak
__________________
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

MACROSS FANS, COME JOIN THE FUN!!
Tak is offline  
Old 2008-08-25, 18:55   Link #1394
aneeshadc
Junior member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Calgary
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleachOD View Post
Oh so that was you...So you say that to say what?

Dude I have my own mind. I agree with Shiriyuki however I have been thinking this for awhile. Everything Shiriyuki said...I have said myself.
Since Ichigo isn't in the Manga and Bleach fillers suck. I figured I'd play with you guys...

That's the same thing, different words. There is more than one way to say something in English. Another thing ...can you understand raws? How come you think your subbed episode is the correct one and mine is a "Mistake in Translation"?

If what you say is true...then that makes it worse and Sheryl is just a liar. Because she doesn't press him about it, she has never asked him about it. Only mocked him. So you just helped prove that she said that out of spite or she is just a spiteful liar.You also help to prove she is insensitive. If we are to go by the above quote for her to say she knows it bothers him and he doesn't want to talk about, then make a tranny joke. Is a prime example of how shallow her character is.
Not wanting to press alto about his past when she knows it makes him uncomfortable shows her sensitivity to alto's needs.

And if u paid any attention to their interactions, u'd notice that sheryl hasnt ever pressed him for info abt his past, he himself has volunteered info abt himself when he is with her or she found out from Grace.

She has never mocked him. There is a vast difference b/w teasing someone & mocking someone. You tease close friends, pple u like & care abt but u mock pple u dont like, resent or look down on.

Besides, I think teasing is good for alto, it gets a reaction out of him which so far only Michael & Sheryl have managed to do. Its quite obvious Michaels's his best friend & they've also had serious conversations beside their teasing., so what does that make Sheryl? Another best friend? If so she's a best friend he's seriously attracted to.

Besides, if alto felt she was meanspiritedly teasing him, there's no way he would have been as tender with her as he was in ep 20.

You really like to over exaggerate things when there really is no need to.

Hw u see Sheryl as being the jealous & insecure one over Ranka is beyond me? Both have their moments of jealousy & insecurity but Sheryl has dealt with them better than Ranka has.


Quote:
Just so you know...You didn't help to make her look any better.
Well, thats cos u failed to comprehend the true meaning in his words.

Quote:
Ranka is nothing like Orihime...I am tired of hearing that.
I agree. Orihime>Ranka for the reason that even Orihime hasnt selfishly put her own pain before others when lives were in danger. I like ranka but when she refused to sing for everyones sake when alto asked her too, she sorely disappointed me.


Quote:
Woah...one expression and you think that. Are you going to ignore everything else that has happened. Alto uttered kind words..that does not make a couple
Nothing has been ignored. Alto hasnt ever directly looked at ranka with contentment & tenderness written all over his face. And while it may not be solid proof, its definitely a point in favour for the Sheryl/Alto camp.

[QUOTE] Um...Can you read? I said if you aren't going to take it seriously I won't write one. That post was short...(um responding to me, makes it look like you have nothing better to do yourself. Don't bother with the "NO LIFE " jokes, we are in the same boat so it will just roll right off of me)
Again speak for yourself. I don't have that problem. Director or creator? Just because you have to rely on that. Does not mean that I do. The story is told through the characters. I pay attention to the characters and their behavior. <--how many times must I say that?!

Stop assuming that everyone needs to know his habits, because you do. [ /QUOTE]

While there's no real reason that u need to know abt Kawamori, it does sometimes help to know what floats his boat so pple can make speculations. There's no reason to diss someone just for that. Anyway I never knew who kawamori was before MF.

Last edited by aneeshadc; 2008-08-25 at 19:29.
aneeshadc is offline  
Old 2008-08-25, 20:14   Link #1395
aneeshadc
Junior member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Calgary
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post
Shipping goggles are shipping goggles... whether they be OD's venom colored variety or someone like Swampy's overtly rose colored. (<3 you Swamp ) But all things considered, there's not many others who are really doing in depth character dissections. While I don't necessarily agree with all of what OD said, she made some solid points, some of which got lost in a sea of comebacks, and others which... she never got back to us on

Personally, I'm all about the SkullFairy pairing. But... there's no way in hell I'm going to agree to Sheryl's birthday gift to Alto not being the cockblock of the 2050's. I don't care if it's not a popular viewpoint, I care that it's accurate and consistent with it's presentation in the story. It was too much too soon; She got burned for it, she took it for what it was, and... we are where we are now, 9 episodes later. There's no real point nitpicking things that far back... best you can really do is put it into perspective with regard to where the character is now. However, if you can't take a characters strengths and weaknesses, failures and successes into account when doing a dissection... it's not even a dissection, it's just propaganda. Even more importantly, IMO anyway, if you can't appreciate a character's epic failings, I think it makes their greatest successes that much less meaningful.

Anyway... ganbatte Alto?
I might be biased & Sheryl does have her flaws but I would like to know why u think It was sneaky rather than impulsive & spontaneous for Sheryl to invite alto to realize his dreams?
aneeshadc is offline  
Old 2008-08-25, 20:28   Link #1396
Marina Ismail
<3 Sheryl Saotome
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Are people still making excuses for Ranka? If so, then we all need to forgive Shinji Ikari no matter how many times NGE is born again. Every mistake Shinji has made or will be making in the future should be forgivin. If Ranka can be forgivin or be excused then so can Shinji who is 14 years old mind you so he is more of a kid than Ranka is.
Marina Ismail is offline  
Old 2008-08-25, 20:44   Link #1397
stray
aniki
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneeshadc View Post
I might be biased & Sheryl does have her flaws but I would like to know why u think It was sneaky rather than impulsive & spontaneous for Sheryl to invite alto to realize his dreams?
I didn't say it was sneaky... cutthroat, maybe. I think the results as far as the triangle went pretty much spoke for themselves. However... had she not taken Alto, and had Michael and Ranka not followed... she'd have been dimension eaten by now...
stray is offline  
Old 2008-08-25, 20:53   Link #1398
aneeshadc
Junior member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Calgary
Age: 27
Cutthroat would still mean that u think she intentionally tried to upstage ranka, am I rite?
Though ur rite, things did turn out alright eventually, I just dont see the triangle results in that ep as karma as most pple seem to see it as.
I just wanna know hw differently u interpret that scene since ur a Sheryl fan, if u dont mind?
aneeshadc is offline  
Old 2008-08-25, 22:09   Link #1399
nanatsusaya
C.C. & Sheryl worshipper
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuniiChan View Post
Are people still making excuses for Ranka? If so, then we all need to forgive Shinji Ikari no matter how many times NGE is born again. Every mistake Shinji has made or will be making in the future should be forgivin. If Ranka can be forgivin or be excused then so can Shinji who is 14 years old mind you so he is more of a kid than Ranka is.
Well at least Shinji is a lost emo kid who is abandoned by his father and always striving for his acknowledgment, unlike Ranka a spoiled child pretending to be emo just because of being denied by her favorite toy
nanatsusaya is offline  
Old 2008-08-25, 22:48   Link #1400
stray
aniki
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneeshadc View Post
Cutthroat would still mean that u think she intentionally tried to upstage ranka, am I rite?
Though ur rite, things did turn out alright eventually, I just dont see the triangle results in that ep as karma as most pple seem to see it as.
I just wanna know hw differently u interpret that scene since ur a Sheryl fan, if u dont mind?
I just think it was way too reactive... not that it could have or should have gone any differently, just that it was a 'live and learn' experience. I don't question her heart was in it; but had she succeeded I think the triangle would look a lot different than it does now.
stray is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
characters

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:45.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.