AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Macross

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-09-15, 10:51   Link #1681
BetoJR
D-d-don't look!!!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by abynormal View Post
Sayonnara Zetsubou Sensei has a character who is perpetually bandaged from her injuries for exactly that reason.
Never even heard of this one. Goes to show what I know of other people's fetishes, eh? Makes the ol' Leia bikini kinda tame, no?

Oh, well, moving back to topic: after episode 23, who here isn't actually feeling very sorry for Sheryl? Apart from Wesley84, of course...

Old 2008-09-15, 11:14   Link #1682
abynormal
Skull Fairy Scout

Send a message via AIM to abynormal Send a message via Skype™ to abynormal
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Never even heard of this one. Goes to show what I know of other people's fetishes, eh? Makes the ol' Leia bikini kinda tame, no?

Oh, well, moving back to topic: after episode 23, who here isn't actually feeling very sorry for Sheryl? Apart from Wesley84, of course...
It kind of shares moe's desire to protect / dominate the character in their time of weakness.

As for Sheryl, I am BURNING WITH MANLY PASSION like a college football fan hopped up on school spirit and alcohol chanting for her triumph!
Old 2008-09-15, 11:35   Link #1683
BetoJR
D-d-don't look!!!
*Artist

Same here, man, same here...

Old 2008-09-15, 13:08   Link #1684
Paul Hausser
Colonel General

First and foremost, having seen most of the fanarts dealing with Fraulein Ayanami and her bandages, including the infamous futanari one, I'll say... sorry, not my couple of tea. But I'll watch Zetsubou Sensei, if only to see whether the Zolf fethish is that bad.

Second, as for my passion for die Konigin and her happy ending... Kawamori! For your own sake, do not even try to ruin the Good End for eure beliebte Sheryl. Otherwise, I swear to God, I will sic the Panzer Corps on you, and to hell with consequences! You've heard what my boys had done in Kharkov? Good! After they're done with you, Satelight Studios shall be blasted to pieces and crushed under panzer tracks!

... oh, yeah. Looks like I'm channeling my patron from GARhalla.
Old 2008-09-15, 13:10   Link #1685
BetoJR
D-d-don't look!!!
*Artist

Go, you!

Old 2008-09-15, 13:38   Link #1686
abynormal
Skull Fairy Scout

Send a message via AIM to abynormal Send a message via Skype™ to abynormal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Hausser View Post
First and foremost, having seen most of the fanarts dealing with Fraulein Ayanami and her bandages, including the infamous futanari one, I'll say... sorry, not my couple of tea. But I'll watch Zetsubou Sensei, if only to see whether the Zolf fethish is that bad.

Sayonnara Sensei
is an all-encompassing satire of Japanese culture, so expect a lot to go way over your head. Still, it's insane and insanely funny, and the main character's seiyu also voiced Mikhail!

Quote:
Second, as for my passion for die Konigin and her happy ending... Kawamori! For your own sake, do not even try to ruin the Good End for eure beliebte Sheryl. Otherwise, I swear to God, I will sic the Panzer Corps on you, and to hell with consequences! You've heard what my boys had done in Kharkov? Good! After they're done with you, Satelight Studios shall be blasted to pieces and crushed under panzer tracks!
Has Tokyo been invaded by Nazis yet? Just about everything else has happened to them. A platoon of stormtroopers goose-stepping through Shibuya would be a sight to see.
Old 2008-09-15, 14:13   Link #1687
Wesley84

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Exactly. And she was already hospitalized at least once, so... please, no Rei reenactments here, okay? I mean, suffering with dignity is cool, too. May we have more of it.
She's not suffering is my point. Basically she's been told she's going to die, and is otherwise fine besides the enormous amounts of self-pity.

And she was hospitalised because of the medication. Not because of the disease.

Also, the bandage fetish is best exemplified by the Shana series. The girls frequently get bloodied and battered in long grueling fights, and convinently enough one of them has an unlimited supply of ribbons/bandages to patch themselves up with.
Old 2008-09-15, 15:28   Link #1688
Paul Hausser
Colonel General

First of all, Wesley, we all know you'd love to see her suffer. Would be fun, wouldn't it? Once again, there is no need for exploding bellies or massive hemorrhages. Read up on viral diseases, especially caused by Bornaviridae.

Second, Abynormal, no, Tokyo has never, to my knowledge, invaded by any Third Reich fighting force. No surprise there, actually. Most Japanese history fans, for instance, are Deutschland-mad, and would probably greet such an invasion with open arms, if only to see die Panzer up close and personal. Still, we can always amend such an omission. And not with a platoon, but three Panzer Divisions. Will Bittrich is itching for a good scrap with his boys from Das Reich.

... Hell. Never knew there are so many Germans in GARhalla.
Old 2008-09-15, 15:44   Link #1689
BetoJR
D-d-don't look!!!
*Artist

There's always things like Jin-Roh, anyway... probably not the same as a full-scale invasion, but...

Old 2008-09-15, 15:50   Link #1690
Wesley84

Quote:
First of all, Wesley, we all know you'd love to see her suffer. Would be fun, wouldn't it? Once again, there is no need for exploding bellies or massive hemorrhages. Read up on viral diseases, especially caused by Bornaviridae.
Like-wise, don't pretend she's some kind of super martyr going through Hell for the one she uses and exploits.

And I don't think her condition is viral, despite what they say. The cells of her body aren't being attacked, and used to proliferate the disease. There's something, described as a bacteria in the show, in her digestive system producing toxins that, for some reason, are slowly making it's way towards her brain, apparently by-passing the blood stream as well as her kidneys, liver, and anything else that's supposed to fight off poisons.

Just how exactly is she supposed to die from this? They refer to symptons, yet they're never mentioned specifically. If it's something to do with the brain, hallicinations would be awesome, especially if she slowly starts going insane.
Old 2008-09-15, 17:40   Link #1691
CeruleaFeng
2qt2bstr8 ♥♥

Send a message via MSN to CeruleaFeng
Hmm... Didn't Leon say that the virus would never enter the digestive tract? Unless infected in the womb, such as Ranka was...

HIV itself doesn't have any symptoms, aside from flu-like shortly after infection. It's possible that this had been coupled with the meds, and was missed.

It's possible that once the virus reaches the brain, the toxins are released only in the brain, and transfer straight to the braincells, rather than entering the bloodstream and being filtered out. That would explain the lack of symptoms. It's possible that as time goes on we will start to see real deterioration.
Old 2008-09-15, 18:15   Link #1692
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭

Quote:
Originally Posted by abynormal View Post
Has Tokyo been invaded by Nazis yet? Just about everything else has happened to them. A platoon of stormtroopers goose-stepping through Shibuya would be a sight to see.
Invaded by the German Army? Allow me to slightly enlighten you. The Japanese Imperial Army and the German Army were coordinating one time regarding the joint invasion of the Former Soviet Union. Its worth noting that the IJA was ready too, perhaps better prepared in some ways than their German counterpart. After all, the Kwantung Army was fully equipped with winter gear. Just didn't happen because of Pearl, and the rest is history.

Still, just head over to some of the major parks in Tokyo during Sundays. There might be things that would make an European tourist raise more than just an eyebrow...

- Tak (Interestingly enough, prior to the Second World War, Germany's best friend and ally in East Asia was not Japan, but China. This relationship lasted until 1941.)

There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there is Master Card.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Old 2008-09-15, 22:56   Link #1693
lone_wolf
bike mechanic onna

Quote:

Second, Abynormal, no, Tokyo has never, to my knowledge, invaded by any Third Reich fighting force. No surprise there, actually. Most Japanese history fans, for instance, are Deutschland-mad, and would probably greet such an invasion with open arms, if only to see die Panzer up close and personal. Still, we can always amend such an omission. And not with a platoon, but three Panzer Divisions. Will Bittrich is itching for a good scrap with his boys from Das Reich.

... Hell. Never knew there are so many Germans in GARhalla.

I can surely attest to this claim. My last trip to Japan which was April, I spotted many natives sporting German BDUs and even German flight jackets. More of a fashion statement Harajuku and Shinjiku but there ARE more than a fair share of Germanophiles over there.

--Lone Wolf
一匹狼

Projekt MUSE is Back! Girls, Guns, Mecha and More!
http://www.projektmuse.com/

Lone Wolf's World of Popculture Goodies
Latest news on Comics, Manga, Anime, Video Game, Etc...
http://www.lw-concepts.com/lw
Old 2008-09-15, 22:58   Link #1694
lone_wolf
bike mechanic onna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post

Still, just head over to some of the major parks in Tokyo during Sundays. There might be things that would make an European tourist raise more than just an eyebrow...
LOL, I noticed similar reactions at Yoyogi park and even someplace like Ueno park during the Cherry Blossom season.

--Lone Wolf
一匹狼

Projekt MUSE is Back! Girls, Guns, Mecha and More!
http://www.projektmuse.com/

Lone Wolf's World of Popculture Goodies
Latest news on Comics, Manga, Anime, Video Game, Etc...
http://www.lw-concepts.com/lw
Old 2008-09-15, 23:04   Link #1695
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone_wolf View Post
I can surely attest to this claim. My last trip to Japan which was April, I spotted many natives sporting German BDUs and even German flight jackets. More of a fashion statement Harajuku and Shinjiku but there ARE more than a fair share of Germanophiles over there.

--Lone Wolf
一匹狼
No kidding. Never mind that you can purchase German uniforms at outdoor markets. Imagine buying a Waffen-SS trench-coat that is being displayed to the public in Europe! Yeah, haha, that would make my day.

- Tak

There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there is Master Card.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Old 2008-09-15, 23:50   Link #1696
Marina Ismail
<3 Sheryl Saotome
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
She's not suffering is my point. Basically she's been told she's going to die, and is otherwise fine besides the enormous amounts of self-pity.

And she was hospitalised because of the medication. Not because of the disease.
Even if she isn't suffering physically, she is suffering emotionally and if you honestly can't get that, then that is really sad.
Old 2008-09-16, 00:25   Link #1697
Wesley84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina Ismail View Post
Even if she isn't suffering physically, she is suffering emotionally and if you honestly can't get that, then that is really sad.
Since when has that ever been an excuse? If Ranka cries, people call her weak, regardless of what she's crying over. If Sheryl cries, why, we must DESTROY the source of her agony.

The way I see it, Sheryl's suffering is mostly of her own making, and she hasn't accepted responsibility for how she's conducted herself. Otherwise, she's going to die. Just like people die all the time. Just like people have been dying on Frontier, just like everyone on Galaxy is presumed dead. Why can't she appreciate the fact that she's ultimately just like everyone else?

All she does is cry after Alto. Always after Alto. The one person she even attempted to relate to out of the whole series. And why's he so damn important?
Old 2008-09-16, 00:31   Link #1698
indr0008
Physicist

Send a message via MSN to indr0008 Send a message via Yahoo to indr0008
Quote:
Since when has that ever been an excuse? If Ranka cries, people call her weak, regardless of what she's crying over. If Sheryl cries, why, we must DESTROY the source of her agony.

The way I see it, Sheryl's suffering is mostly of her own making, and she hasn't accepted responsibility for how she's conducted herself. Otherwise, she's going to die. Just like people die all the time. Just like people have been dying on Frontier, just like everyone on Galaxy is presumed dead. Why can't she appreciate the fact that she's ultimately just like everyone else?

All she does is cry after Alto. Always after Alto. The one person she even attempted to relate to out of the whole series. And why's he so damn important?
Ok..both cried because both assumed that they dun get Alto to love them...but see the aftermaths of it,

Ranka went...."I want to die(me:then die....)", then she refused to sing to help people....
Sheryl went...."Understood"..but then she keep on enduring the hardship of being used as a tool

then please tell me why we cant feel sympathy for Sheryl

and dun give me "Ranka is still a kid", I'm so tired of hearing that.....
Old 2008-09-16, 00:34   Link #1699
Wesley84

Quote:
Originally Posted by indr0008 View Post
unfairness??
I suppose it is unfair that Alto out of millions of other guys on Frontier just so happened to be the one who had her lost earring. Who knew it was so easy to make an impression on her?
Old 2008-09-16, 01:13   Link #1700
Paul Hausser
Colonel General

Quote:
A bit unfair you are, Wesley. Do remember, that no person is its own - all of us reflect, to some extent, the way others inmprinted themselves upon us. In Fraulein Nome's case, she has started out as an orphan, homeless beggar living off scraps in the streets. Then, she was found by Grace O'Connor and molded, yes molded into a perfect idol, and she did not resist, methinks, because she needed someone's acceptance, acceptance O'Connor was perfectly willing to give, in order to facilitate her plans. Without interaction with Herr Saotome, die Konigin would stay the same she was in Episode 1. It was his influence, coupled with external occurences, that has made her grow into the woman we see in later episodes. Thus, your argument is flawed - her misfortune is, ultimately, the result of external manipulation. And yes, Fraulein Lee might be in a similar predicament.
Closed Thread

Tags
characters