AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Macross

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-10-14, 16:55   Link #1921
Seifall
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
I do not really care about this fan fiction each his own.
I just find it funny since it's extended to the movie and not only Sheryl but Alto too and involve some definites details about offspring and wedding....
But if you think I'm delusional with my Ranka shipping, you should go to the japanese boards to see how Ranka is favorised next to Sheryl.
People here really think Sheryl is all and leaded Macross and think Ranka is just the little moe loli character who can't possibly be loved.
Ranka is popular in japan too, Sheryl is popular too but Ranka also.
You just have to see the magazines . Here people dare to say it's for teenagers. This is for a certain age of course but for teenagers ? It's funny .
So all japanese anime lovers who buy all they can from the toys to figurines and collection magazines too are teenagers ?
You have a influenced vision of Sheryl's popularity since all providers of informations here are Sheryl's fan who even invite you to vote for Sheryl in some polls....
Except 3 person, All, I said all people here thought Alto didn't have any feelings for the Ranka the green hair puppy and think still the same.
This is what I call being in denial or delusional if I take your word.
I know I'm not popular here, but I'm glad Kawamori will based his choice for the movie reading forums respecting fairness between Sheryl's fan and Ranka's ones.
Seifall is offline  
Old 2008-10-14, 16:59   Link #1922
mechabao
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
I wouldn't be surprised since Japan is full of loli-moe loving otaku. Hell, they practically worship cuteness itself.
mechabao is offline  
Old 2008-10-14, 17:04   Link #1923
kujoe
from head to heel
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seifall
I do not really care about this fan fiction each his own.
I just find it funny since it's extended to the movie and not only Sheryl but Alto too and involve some definites details about offspring and wedding...
No, you do care, or else you wouldn't be so gracious enough to offer your opinions.

Heck, that little conversation back there doesn't even involve the movie since we know next to nothing about it. Really, does it bother you the some people are casually talking about their favorite character whom you happen to dislike?
kujoe is offline  
Old 2008-10-14, 17:27   Link #1924
Seifall
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
@ mechabao A lot of girls in japan are fan of Ranka without being otaku

@kujoe I said it already : I do not really care but I find it funny so tell you why .
And I have the right to express my opinion ,no ? Or you will tell me I don't, since I step a foot in Sheryl's fan club proprety ?
Go take a look in Ranka's thread and come back to read your own sentence :

. Really, does it bother you the some people are casually talking about their favorite character whom you happen to dislike?

At least I'm not bashing Sheryl in her own thread
Seifall is offline  
Old 2008-10-14, 17:31   Link #1925
kujoe
from head to heel
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seifall View Post
@kujoe I said it already : I do not really care but I find it funny so tell you why .
And I have the right to express my opinion ,no ? Or you will tell me I don't, since I step a foot in Sheryl's fan club proprety ?
Go take a look in Ranka's thread and come back to read your own sentence :
You cared enough to say your piece, to participate in the discussion, because such and such didn't sit well with you. In other words, you care.

First of all, this is a Sheryl thread, and hence discussion about her is welcomed. And you participated. That's the point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seifall
At least I'm not bashing Sheryl in her own thread
And so, are you saying that it bothers you then?
kujoe is offline  
Old 2008-10-14, 17:33   Link #1926
Tsuchiro
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
ah.. trolling to the fittest..
Tsuchiro is offline  
Old 2008-10-14, 17:35   Link #1927
mechabao
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seifall View Post
@ mechabao A lot of girls in japan are fan of Ranka without being otaku

@kujoe I said it already : I do not really care but I find it funny so tell you why .
And I have the right to express my opinion ,no ? Or you will tell me I don't, since I step a foot in Sheryl's fan club proprety ?
Go take a look in Ranka's thread and come back to read your own sentence :

. Really, does it bother you the some people are casually talking about their favorite character whom you happen to dislike?

At least I'm not bashing Sheryl in her own thread
Eh, it's all the same. Cuteness is praised by damn near everyone over there.

Ask any Ranka fan what they like about her and their answers will likely be "she's cute", "she's innocent and pure", "she's so moe". I'm willing to bet not one of them will be able to point out anything else they like about her since the writers fucked up when they were fleshing out her character and basically wrote themselves and her into a loli-moe blob corner.
mechabao is offline  
Old 2008-10-14, 18:17   Link #1928
Seifall
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
@ tsuchiro My, My, you speak , rather write !!!
Ahh I saw your friends like this word too... this is surely a sign of distinction in your community

@mechabao You can say the same thing to Sheryl's fan, the first answer will be she is hot . Look at her fan art , really this pretty telling....
Seifall is offline  
Old 2008-10-14, 18:27   Link #1929
kujoe
from head to heel
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Age: 32
Oh, the irony.
kujoe is offline  
Old 2008-10-14, 18:35   Link #1930
mechabao
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seifall View Post
@ tsuchiro My, My, you speak , rather write !!!
Ahh I saw your friends like this word too... this is surely a sign of distinction in your community

@mechabao You can say the same thing to Sheryl's fan, the first answer will be she is hot . Look at her fan art , really this pretty telling....
The first answer may be "she's hot" but I'm pretty sure it won't be the ONLY answer you get when you ask them what they like about Sheryl. In fact, all you have to do is read through some of the earlier posts in this thread to get my point or if you think that people are too biased in Sheryl's favor, go look at other forums and what posters there have to say about her character versus what they think about Ranka.

Oh, and read my post again. I'll highlight the part you forgot to read:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechabao View Post
Eh, it's all the same. Cuteness is praised by damn near everyone over there.

Ask any Ranka fan what they like about her and their answers will likely be "she's cute", "she's innocent and pure", "she's so moe". I'm willing to bet not one of them will be able to point out anything else they like about her since the writers fucked up when they were fleshing out her character and basically wrote themselves and her into a loli-moe blob corner.
Edit:
Typical Ranka fan/shipper answers I saw on RC (granted I only got to read comments from the last few episode reviews):
DOKUN DOKUN DOKUN ^___^
her love is pure
she's so lovable
she's so cute


and last but not least, the vague "I like Ranka more than Sheryl" answer.

Last edited by mechabao; 2008-10-14 at 18:46.
mechabao is offline  
Old 2008-10-14, 20:47   Link #1931
abynormal
Skull Fairy Scout
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Recon
Send a message via AIM to abynormal Send a message via Skype™ to abynormal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seifall View Post
@mechabao You can say the same thing to Sheryl's fan, the first answer will be she is hot . Look at her fan art , really this pretty telling....
The following traits are what I liked about Sheryl:

Strong-willed
Funny
Neurotic
Driven
Vulnerable
Expressive
Impulsive
Hot

And, of course she'll look hot in her fanart. She's glamorous to begin with.
abynormal is offline  
Old 2008-10-14, 21:13   Link #1932
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Neu Herzogtum Zeon
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechabao View Post
Edit:
Typical Ranka fan/shipper answers I saw on RC (granted I only got to read comments from the last few episode reviews):
DOKUN DOKUN DOKUN ^___^
her love is pure
she's so lovable
she's so cute


and last but not least, the vague "I like Ranka more than Sheryl" answer.
PURE LOVE!!!

Thats my favorite Ranka fan answer.

Right. Love so pure, that you can't do anything weird.

- Tak
__________________
- Flight to Brazil? $1,500
- FIFA Stadium Ticket? $500
- Witnessing Coach Joachim Lw crack a smile at the World-Cup Final? PRICELESS


There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there is Master Card.


Get strong like ROCK! Not weak like Barack! Putincize now!

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Tak is offline  
Old 2008-10-15, 00:54   Link #1933
magnuskn
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Age: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
PURE LOVE!!!

Thats my favorite Ranka fan answer.

Right. Love so pure, that you can't do anything weird.

- Tak
Yeah, love so pure he was prepared to melt her face with a MDE.
__________________
magnuskn is offline  
Old 2008-10-15, 04:17   Link #1934
Westlo
Lets be reality
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seifall View Post
But if you think I'm delusional with my Ranka shipping, you should go to the japanese boards to see how Ranka is favorised next to Sheryl.
Sheryl's more popular than Ranka, you do realize that on 2ch which is the biggest anime bbs in japan that Ranka's hate thread got more pages after episode 21 than Sheryl's for the entire 21 episodes combined? You do realize that Sheryl won the last poll between them with 800 + votes to 500?

Yes Ranka's more popular over there than on English forums but considering how popular she is over here that's not exactly saying much. And should I even bother to mention how much more popular the AruSherri pairing is compared to AruRan?
Westlo is offline  
Old 2008-10-15, 04:24   Link #1935
BetoJR
D-d-don't look!!!
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Fortaleza-CE, Brazil
Age: 37
Don't bother. She won't "listen" to ya (and probably will complain about how wrongfully we refer to each other as talking in an Internet message board).
__________________
It's always a great time to immerse yourself in Deculture love!
All hail the Empress!!!

BetoJR is offline  
Old 2008-10-15, 05:42   Link #1936
Natsuki Hyuga
(☞゚∀゚)☞ロンパアアアア!! 
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Earth
Send a message via MSN to Natsuki Hyuga
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seifall View Post
I do not really care about this fan fiction each his own.
I just find it funny since it's extended to the movie and not only Sheryl but Alto too and involve some definites details about offspring and wedding....
Seifall, it's called fanfiction, and it is what fans want to think. You find it funny, okay. But by talking about it, it means you care about it. Just nit-picking from me.

Quote:
People here really think Sheryl is all and leaded Macross and think Ranka is just the little moe loli character who can't possibly be loved.
Most Japanese think she is a moe character... And that is all I see in their comments. MOE, PURE, KAWAII~! HONTOU NI, MOE YO~!!!!!!! MOE WA DAISUKI~



They love Ranka because she is all these three combination. When talking about personality, she got little to none variety of comments other than pure, childish, narrow-minded (For negative part).

Quote:
Ranka is popular in japan too, Sheryl is popular too but Ranka also.
You must be talking about the beginning episodes. In the beginning, Ranka is very popular since she is the epitome of today anime : a moe loli, complete with fang. Green-hair is a plus for her.

I can agree she is still popular, however note that her popularity has wavered and a lot of Japanese were complaining about her character. Read her oh-so-ever-growing Hate Thread in 2ch, please. The thread has been growing rapidly since episode... 16+.

So that you will really not be confused and mistranslate my post, the deal is that Ranka is loved but as well hated, and compared to Sheryl, she is a double-edged sword.

Quote:
You just have to see the magazines . Here people dare to say it's for teenagers. This is for a certain age of course but for teenagers ? It's funny .
I'll tell you something. Most adults or what you can call most of Macross F fanbase is embarassed to buy Animage and Animedia since it usually have too many err... "Teenager" material to begin with. Mostly the inside/content is for teenager anime-lovers.

Newtype, I'm not sure. Anyone else can provide the information.

Quote:
You have a influenced vision of Sheryl's popularity since all providers of informations here are Sheryl's fan who even invite you to vote for Sheryl in some polls....
*Basing this is the poll which link I give, I shall answer this... AGAIN*

Hmm... But the poll I give is for the pairing... In which AltoxRanka did not exist in the poll due to circumstances. Try again, Dear.

If you're talking about character poll that "Sheryl Fan" as you have labelled us with, give, I don't think Ranka is leading from the very start. I mean, hello? Ranka : 100+ vs Sheryl : 700+ votes? Talk about raping.

I don't give links to blogs' poll because it is quite one-sided to be truthful. Go to Ranka-centered Blog, and she get a lot of votes (I'm not going to talk about who is winning and losing here. Truth is way too painful to you if you know). Go to Sheryl-centered blog, Sheryl get massive votes and Ranka tiny bits.
__________________

Natsuki Hyuga is offline  
Old 2008-10-15, 07:35   Link #1937
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Neu Herzogtum Zeon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsuki Hyuga View Post
I'll tell you something. Most adults or what you can call most of Macross F fanbase is embarassed to buy Animage and Animedia since it usually have too many err... "Teenager" material to begin with. Mostly the inside/content is for teenager anime-lovers.

Newtype, I'm not sure. Anyone else can provide the information.
I hope Seifall does not equate popularity to pairing, it does not always mean the same thing. I need not remind you just how long Rei Ayanami had been on the polls during the 90s and early 2000. But when it comes to pairing with Shinji, she is not considered. The same could be said about Ruri Hoshino, which I consider to be the epitome of moe, and probably the only moe character I have ever enjoyed, why? She actually had character. But even her shy away from pairings.

Then again, both recent issues of NewType and Animage put Sheryl at least 2 places above that of Ranka in terms of popularity. For a teen magazine, that is saying something.

And Seifall, I sincerely hope you get some sense of Japanese culture before making assumptions. Older folks like myself simply shy away from purchasing anime magazines. You have any idea what kind of social stigma that implies?

- Tak
__________________
- Flight to Brazil? $1,500
- FIFA Stadium Ticket? $500
- Witnessing Coach Joachim Lw crack a smile at the World-Cup Final? PRICELESS


There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there is Master Card.


Get strong like ROCK! Not weak like Barack! Putincize now!

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Tak is offline  
Old 2008-10-15, 12:51   Link #1938
Joachim
et tu, brute?
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Perth WA
Age: 28
DON'T FEED THE TROLL

nuff said, whatever
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/image.php?u=67374&type=sigpic&dateline=1223597681
<a rel=nofollow href=http://forums.animesuki.com/image.php?u=67374&type=sigpic&dateline=1223597681 target=_blank>http://forums.animesuki.com/image.ph...ine=1223597681</a>
Joachim is offline  
Old 2008-10-15, 16:13   Link #1939
Seifall
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechabao View Post

Edit:
Typical Ranka fan/shipper answers I saw on RC (granted I only got to read comments from the last few episode reviews):
DOKUN DOKUN DOKUN ^___^
her love is pure
she's so lovable
she's so cute


and last but not least, the vague "I like Ranka more than Sheryl" answer.

you sure chose those well.
I only dropped by two times there and I remember reading one of members here, supporter of Sheryl saying : " dokun dokun dokun kawai "
Seriously I'm sure you yourself , even think she is cute and lovable , or maybe not, but we all know even if she didn't have a proper change , you know what I'm talking about ..., we know she wasn't just the loli girl VS the modern one, she got to show her importance in the story.She had plenty of qualities even if it's still unseeing for some

Quote:
Originally Posted by abynormal View Post
The following traits are what I liked about Sheryl:

Strong-willed
Funny
Neurotic
Driven
Vulnerable
Expressive
Impulsive
Hot

And, of course she'll look hot in her fanart. She's glamorous to begin with.
You put her hotness in the bottom
You can replace hot by cute, impulsive by reflective, ahem neurotic ? Ranka, surely not, maybe passionate a lot around Alto though and strong willed by girl of good will and you got Ranka's main qualities.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsuki Hyuga View Post
Seifall, it's called fanfiction, and it is what fans want to think. You find it funny, okay. But by talking about it, it means you care about it. Just nit-picking from me.

OK I got it, thanks

Quote:
Most Japanese think she is a moe character... And that is all I see in their comments. MOE, PURE, KAWAII~! HONTOU NI, MOE YO~!!!!!!! MOE WA DAISUKI~



They love Ranka because she is all these three combination. When talking about personality, she got little to none variety of comments other than pure, childish, narrow-minded (For negative part).
I kind of agree but you surely know it's the same fangirl who are all : Lelouch ? KAWAII ! Lockon! SUGOIIIIIIII Hontou ni !!! A girl is a girl what do you except ?!
The men are the same, maybe a bit more passionnate : " Sheryl ? mmmh ~ " or " ...
The other possibility is that we are a bit lazy sometimes....


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
I hope Seifall does not equate popularity to pairing, it does not always mean the same thing.
I didn't and that's I'm trying to show since the beiginning here. But what I saw here is that people do.


Quote:
And Seifall, I sincerely hope you get some sense of Japanese culture before making assumptions.

It kind of remind me someone who said me that I didn't understand the episode during the airing.
How can I respond here too...
..... It's not because you got to spend some years in a country that you automatically have the sense of the culture ?
Even outside, this is the same , you have the typical black hair but not the eyes so people directly start with the " culture stuff"...
And I'm not making assumptions since I know what I'm talking about

Quote:
Older folks like myself simply shy away from purchasing anime magazines. You have any idea what kind of social stigma that implies?
The last day I dumped on an old guy of 70 years old who was purchasing a charm magazine just right before an old lady .
Social stigma ?! ......
You don't have to be bother by the anime magazines I think...



Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Don't bother. She won't "listen" to ya (and probably will complain about how wrongfully we refer to each other as talking in an Internet message board).
I am complaining that much ?!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim View Post
DON'T FEED THE TROLL

nuff said, whatever
猿の尻笑い .
Seifall is offline  
Old 2008-10-15, 16:28   Link #1940
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Neu Herzogtum Zeon
*Sigh* Get over it.

Fact is, concepts change all the time. Take Gundam SEED for example, the original was to have Kira die at the end trying to stop Flay, who had been forced to become a human bomb on a collusion course with the Arch Angel. Had that happened, yeah, it'd make KiraFlay fans cheer at the bittersweet ending, but it would have killed the show, Kira would not be in that dominant position as he is today, let alone any possibilities for a sequel.

Thank goodness he hooked up with Lacus Clyne!

Fans responded, Kawamori listened, and made changes accordingly.

- Tak
__________________
- Flight to Brazil? $1,500
- FIFA Stadium Ticket? $500
- Witnessing Coach Joachim Lw crack a smile at the World-Cup Final? PRICELESS


There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there is Master Card.


Get strong like ROCK! Not weak like Barack! Putincize now!

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Tak is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
characters

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:31.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.