AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-06-11, 00:24   Link #261
4Tran
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
Dressing up as a carrot will probably have been fun compared to what's in store for her. She's well on her way to becoming a lonely, terrible person, that treats everyone like crap.
Why would you say that? Pretty much none of the Macross stars ended up like that.
__________________
The victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won...
4Tran is offline  
Old 2008-06-11, 01:20   Link #262
Wesley84
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
Why would you say that? Pretty much none of the Macross stars ended up like that.
The preview for one thing. Put another way, she becomes an Idol like Sheryl. Someone who pushes people away because there's just too many of them that want a piece of her, a moment of her time, or want to use her in some way (Sheryl doesn't seem to mind the latter though).

Though she doesn't have to be in direct competition with Sheryl, I can hardly imagine the series not following the Queen-bee scenario. She could produce her own sound, do her own thing, appeal to a different group of people using a different format, but that's probably not going to happen since she's a fictional character with the exact same audience as Sheryl; us and whomever that might be.
Wesley84 is offline  
Old 2008-06-11, 01:34   Link #263
ani_d
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
While I wouldn't be all that surprised if Ranka were to have a crisis of faith with regard to singing, one of the central themes of the Macross francise is that singing isn't what the singers do, it's what makes them who they are. Moreover, Ranka leaving her singing behind would repudiate a lot of the positive changes that have been wrought on her character. By the way, I think that this theme is the same reason why Sheryl won't give up singing either.
I'm not saying that Ranka should stop opening her mouth to sing. That's impossible. I'm saying that being a superstar at the cost of losing your friends is a higher price to pay. Sheryl's already on top, but since she's all by herself, she has nothing to lose and it seemed like she already conquered this issue. People might see Sheryl as more unfortunate than Ranka for having noone, but it's actually better than having something and losing it gradually. However, I don't know what's going to happen next episode, but if this stardom thing is going to continue, then she has to work harder to keep track of her friends.

I find it ironic that the stardom that she's been eagerly chasing after will ask her to sacrifice so many things in return. The positive attitude she invested in getting to her goal is bound to reap some negative effects. Somewhere along the line, I can't see Ranka succumbing to fame just for the sole purpose of "being heard." Ranka's naive. I don't think she's really gung-ho about being the center of attention to the point that she'll accept losing everyone around her---except her manager lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4tran
Taking up a public role as a singer is obviously a traumatic experience - it'd be surprising if she were only ecstatic about the whole ordeal. There are both ups and downs associated with the career, and the ones who quit over them didn't deserve to be there in the first place (although second chances do exist). I think that Ranka is strong enough that she can weather the hardships and grow in the process.
That's if her voice doesn't find the Vajra lair first and cause mayhem Anyway, this is another reason why I think her singing career won't work. Her voice has a weird effect on creatures--not just Vajra.
ani_d is offline  
Old 2008-06-11, 03:03   Link #264
4Tran
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
The preview for one thing. Put another way, she becomes an Idol like Sheryl. Someone who pushes people away because there's just too many of them that want a piece of her, a moment of her time, or want to use her in some way (Sheryl doesn't seem to mind the latter though).
But Sheryl herself isn't some sort of lonely, terrible person. In fact, she's quite nice to the people who know her. Ranka's personality is totally different, but she's sort of unlikely to turn out too bad either.

The only thing the preview talks about is that being a celebrity places more distance between herself and Alto. This in turn is a direct parallel to SDF Macross (although from the other direction).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
Though she doesn't have to be in direct competition with Sheryl, I can hardly imagine the series not following the Queen-bee scenario. She could produce her own sound, do her own thing, appeal to a different group of people using a different format, but that's probably not going to happen since she's a fictional character with the exact same audience as Sheryl; us and whomever that might be.
Thematically, Ranka is certain to find her own voice. The only other possibility would be to make a duet of the two being a key element.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_d View Post
I'm not saying that Ranka should stop opening her mouth to sing. That's impossible. I'm saying that being a superstar at the cost of losing your friends is a higher price to pay. Sheryl's already on top, but since she's all by herself, she has nothing to lose and it seemed like she already conquered this issue. People might see Sheryl as more unfortunate than Ranka for having noone, but it's actually better than having something and losing it gradually. However, I don't know what's going to happen next episode, but if this stardom thing is going to continue, then she has to work harder to keep track of her friends.
As far as I can tell, stardom (or more accurately, striving for stardom) is just about synonymous with singing in the Macross shows, whether it's a huge star like Minmei or someone struggling like Basara starting out. The important thing has always been to juggle that with friendships and other relationships. This is usually a defining element of the singing character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_d View Post
I find it ironic that the stardom that she's been eagerly chasing after will ask her to sacrifice so many things in return. The positive attitude she invested in getting to her goal is bound to reap some negative effects. Somewhere along the line, I can't see Ranka succumbing to fame just for the sole purpose of "being heard." Ranka's naive. I don't think she's really gung-ho about being the center of attention to the point that she'll accept losing everyone around her---except her manager lol
It is a bit ironic, but it's also inevitable that embarking on such a big change in her lifestyle. While Ranka might take some time to get used to it all, and make some sacrifices in the process, I don't think that she's weak enough to succumb to anything. Remember that it's not so much her purpose to get heard, it's something that drives her, and it's not something that she can really avoid. That's why she's willing to do all that small-time stuff like the carrots or napkins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_d View Post
That's if her voice doesn't find the Vajra lair first and cause mayhem Anyway, this is another reason why I think her singing career won't work. Her voice has a weird effect on creatures--not just Vajra.
Heh. We shall see...
__________________
The victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won...
4Tran is offline  
Old 2008-06-11, 03:51   Link #265
Wesley84
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
But Sheryl herself isn't some sort of lonely, terrible person. In fact, she's quite nice to the people who know her. Ranka's personality is totally different, but she's sort of unlikely to turn out too bad either.
That would be Grace, Ranka, and Alto right?

One, Grace works for her. She's Sheryl's go-to-girl and while they have a nice thing going with eachother, it's not really a friendship. Close working relationship, most probably, but not a friendship.

Two, Ranka and Sheryl are not friends. Sheryl does her mentor thing and tosses inspirational words while striking a head-held high pose, and Ranka takes it in and does her Idol-in-training thing where she says "Hai!" and straightens her posture. Privately or publicly, Sheryl hasn't interacted with Ranka that didn't have something to do with Ranka's career, with one exception, possibly two if that one concert wasn't entirely metaphorical.

And three, Alto slaves for her, while she flirts with/teases him endlessly. They don't to do stuff together, he just follows her while she does whatever. She probably only confided in him because he was the only person she knew that didn't work for her in an official capacity and she needed an outlet. She's lonely, he's beautiful, and she knows him somewhat on a personal basis, which is more than can be said for the rest of the human race. Beggers can't be choosers right?

And then there's everyone else, who she ignores, looks at cross-eyed, or attempts to run them down in her limo.

Though you're probably right. Sheryl's the way she is because she's Sheryl, and not because of her celebrity status. Ranka has many people that care about her personally. This is because she's a friendly, likeable, unthreatening person, and people take to her naturally. It's what she's used to. She's Ranka-chan through and through, and even stardom isn't going to change that, although it will probably alter how people in general treat her just like it did for Sheryl.

Quote:
Thematically, Ranka is certain to find her own voice. The only other possibility would be to make a duet of the two being a key element.
She probably won't get very far in her career anyway, whether she likes it or not. She and Sheryl singing together will also likely be a plot point, but it won't happen as a career move on either part even if it turns out that way by the end.
Wesley84 is offline  
Old 2008-06-11, 06:04   Link #266
herbert
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Galactic Fairy Fanclub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
Ranka has many people that care about her personally. This is because she's a friendly, likeable, unthreatening person, and people take to her naturally. It's what she's used to. She's Ranka-chan through and through, and even stardom isn't going to change that, although it will probably alter how people in general treat her just like it did for Sheryl.
Sigh. I'm Sheryl-biased after all as I still telling myself here is Frontier and Sheryl has been on Frontier for a short while.

OK. I agree loneliness may eat on Sheryl, but, well, you can see which part of your post I have quoted here and I don't totally buy this.

First of all, I think happiness and loniess are subjective feelings. People are happy or lonely only if they feel so, not they are in a situation others think they should. Do you agree with this? If you do, please read the rest; if you don't, please ignore the rest.

Who care about Ranka personally? Ozma, Nanase, and we may also count Alto and Sheryl in. If you think of Mikhail, go back to check ep 5 to see he takes a troubled Ranka as a pain in the @ss; If you think of Luca, go back to check ep 4 to see he takes Ranka as an excuse to get close to Nanase. Your friendly, likeable, unthreatening Ranka gets four persons taking to her naturally, what a deed! Kidding aside, perhaps Ranka gets more friends off-screen but the problem is that Ranka doesn't feel like many poeple care about her. Once she decides Ozma is not on her side, she looks for Alto, not Mikhail nor Luca nor her #1 super big fan Nanase nor any of her off-screen friend but that Alto she barely knows (if you disagree, go to check ep 5, 6, 7, 8, and 10). From outsiders' point of view, yes, Ranka gets many people caring her; from Ranka's point of view, she only gets Alto. Ranka feels that she has as many as only one cares her and the only one is Alto, whom Ranka feels she is losing to Sheryl.
__________________
herbert is offline  
Old 2008-06-11, 08:51   Link #267
Wesley84
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbert View Post
Sigh. I'm Sheryl-biased after all as I still telling myself here is Frontier and Sheryl has been on Frontier for a short while.

OK. I agree loneliness may eat on Sheryl, but, well, you can see which part of your post I have quoted here and I don't totally buy this.

First of all, I think happiness and loniess are subjective feelings. People are happy or lonely only if they feel so, not they are in a situation others think they should. Do you agree with this? If you do, please read the rest; if you don't, please ignore the rest.

Who care about Ranka personally? Ozma, Nanase, and we may also count Alto and Sheryl in. If you think of Mikhail, go back to check ep 5 to see he takes a troubled Ranka as a pain in the @ss; If you think of Luca, go back to check ep 4 to see he takes Ranka as an excuse to get close to Nanase. Your friendly, likeable, unthreatening Ranka gets four persons taking to her naturally, what a deed! Kidding aside, perhaps Ranka gets more friends off-screen but the problem is that Ranka doesn't feel like many poeple care about her. Once she decides Ozma is not on her side, she looks for Alto, not Mikhail nor Luca nor her #1 super big fan Nanase nor any of her off-screen friend but that Alto she barely knows (if you disagree, go to check ep 5, 6, 7, 8, and 10). From outsiders' point of view, yes, Ranka gets many people caring her; from Ranka's point of view, she only gets Alto. Ranka feels that she has as many as only one cares her and the only one is Alto, whom Ranka feels she is losing to Sheryl.
Actually Ozma got on her shit-list for lying to her for what was probably years, and seems to have kept his distance while using proxies like Mikhail and Bobby to look after her in his place. And the latter two seem to have taken a personal liking to her while on the job, which just goes to show you how easy it is to like her.

I can't recall a single time Ranka claimed no one cared about her, or held it against someone when she didn't recieve their undivided attention. Though I do wonder why Alto's at all important to either her or Sheryl. Is it just his looks? If he were ugly, the multiple near life and death situations they've shared probably wouldn't have meant all that much, and Alto isn't exactly charming or a great speaker. Evidently all of his charisma is reserved for the stage.
Wesley84 is offline  
Old 2008-06-11, 09:02   Link #268
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Why's Alto important to them?

For Ranka: he's pretty. More than her, or so she thinks. Her self-esteem is relatively low, so she was shocked and grateful someone so pretty was willing to help her find her way, and later save her life. Sure, he's gruff, but she knows him enough by now that under that, he's actually very nice.

For Sheryl: He doesn't treat her as superstar. While that kind of attention is gratifying, it also puts a distance between her and other people. She's got enough of it from other sources. He also doesn't lust after her like most boys his age would, so he's even more comfortable to be with.
Anh_Minh is offline  
Old 2008-06-11, 09:04   Link #269
4Tran
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
I'd like to point out that loneliness really isn't a matter of how many people one is close to - it's more a factor of how a lack of closeness makes one feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
Actually Ozma got on her shit-list for lying to her for what was probably years, and seems to have kept his distance while using proxies like Mikhail and Bobby to look after her in his place. And the latter two seem to have taken a personal liking to her while on the job, which just goes to show you how easy it is to like her.
Ranka doesn't seem to mind what Ozma told or didn't tell her. If she really did, she would have held it against him as ammunition for when they had that big fight in episode 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
I can't recall a single time Ranka claimed no one cared about her, or held it against someone when she didn't recieve their undivided attention. Though I do wonder why Alto's at all important to either her or Sheryl. Is it just his looks? If he were ugly, the multiple near life and death situations they've shared probably wouldn't have meant all that much, and Alto isn't exactly charming or a great speaker. Evidently all of his charisma is reserved for the stage.
The reason Alto touches Ranka is at least partly due to the fact that he's the only male character around Ranka's age that she knows apart from Ozma's connections. Remember that she used to go to an all-girls' school, and that the only other youngish male characters she's familiar with are Michel and Luca. Put the fact that Alto made a big impression on Ranka the first few times they met, and how easily they hit it off; a connection and romance aren't all that hard to imagine.
__________________
The victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won...
4Tran is offline  
Old 2008-06-11, 09:25   Link #270
Wesley84
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
I'd like to point out that loneliness really isn't a matter of how many people one is close to - it's more a factor of how a lack of closeness makes one feel.
Thousands of adoring fans, and Sheryl seeks the attention of a jerk like Alto.

Quote:
Ranka doesn't seem to mind what Ozma told or didn't tell her. If she really did, she would have held it against him as ammunition for when they had that big fight in episode 5.
A frying pan can hold alot of meaning.

Quote:
The reason Alto touches Ranka is at least partly due to the fact that he's the only male character around Ranka's age that she knows apart from Ozma's connections. Remember that she used to go to an all-girls' school, and that the only other youngish male characters she's familiar with are Michel and Luca. Put the fact that Alto made a big impression on Ranka the first few times they met, and how easily they hit it off; a connection and romance aren't all that hard to imagine.
They didn't really hit it off though. Alto just seems to stand around and be there for Sheryl or Ranka. There's not this great chemistry that they have. He recieves cellphone messages, attends concerts, or whatever production Sheryl happens to have going on that week.

It's like they skipped the courtship phase and went straight into years of marriage.
Wesley84 is offline  
Old 2008-06-11, 10:08   Link #271
Pan chan
I am a slipper :3
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: France
Age: 28
Ranka is my favorite character in this show. She is so sweet, cute and I adore her voice. Plus I feel for her about her past and the way she only can watch as Alto is getting closer and closer to Sheryl.

I aslo find her more "human" than Sheryl, I mean more real. I really like Sheryl but she is just too awesome, even in her weakness. I find her "changeable" and I can't grasp her character at all, that annoy me.

I don't really care if she end up with Alto hime, I just want to see her happy . (Beside Alto is a jerk, sometimes I have the urge to slap him )
Pan chan is offline  
Old 2008-06-11, 10:18   Link #272
Swampstorm
Lovestruck Fool?
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
I wonder if the recommendations that Ranka give up her career have to do with an innate distrust of commercialism?

We've seen the idea of music as a "business" explored somewhat already. So how Ranka deals with and adapts to her newly discovered stardom could be used to explore this theme further. In this regard, you could make a distinction between singing for personal satisfaction and singing to be heard by an audience. Both approaches involve singing, but the latter incorporates all the commercial elements involved in the music industry: photoshoots, advertisments, and so on.

Now it's not particularily difficult to present any sort of materialistic pursuit in a negative light, especially in a story setting. So I suspect that the suggestion of Ranka giving up her career tries to follow in those lines (i.e ye olde 'it's better to be poor and happy than be rich and alone').

But I don't think that this is necessarily the stance that the series is taking. While the characters are surrounded by advertising, they seem to be quite resistant to it. Vending machines get rebuffed in attempting to sell their wares, singing carrots are no more appealing to children than silent ones, and even Sheryl's campaign to save her homeland comes across as campy at best. Advertising doesn't seem to be nearly the insidious subliminal force that it ought to be.

From what I've seen, the idea in this respect seems to be that the commercial elements of music can still be overcome by a genuine passion for singing and belief in yourself. Where Leon shows how the media can be used to restrict and limit people's awareness of the truth, Sheryl shows how the media can be used to draw people's aware to the needs of the people suffering around them. In that sense, Ranka's journey is not so much to emulate Sheryl as it is to find her own individuality in the face of "the system". From that standpoint, fame becomes a platform from which you can make a positive impact on everyone's lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_d View Post
I'm not saying that Ranka should stop opening her mouth to sing. That's impossible. I'm saying that being a superstar at the cost of losing your friends is a higher price to pay. Sheryl's already on top, but since she's all by herself, she has nothing to lose and it seemed like she already conquered this issue. People might see Sheryl as more unfortunate than Ranka for having noone, but it's actually better than having something and losing it gradually. However, I don't know what's going to happen next episode, but if this stardom thing is going to continue, then she has to work harder to keep track of her friends.
It's not that Sheryl has attained supreme mastery of herself and can now survive without love, friendship, food, or water. She's simply making the best of some very difficult circumstances where she's had to hold herself together in the absence of having anyone by her side to give her strength.

One positive thing about having nothing at all is that you take nothing for granted. Many people don't value what they have until they're threatened with losing it. It's important that you mentioned 'friends', since it's not just about Alto; Ranka won't be able to spend much time with Nanase and even her brother, either. Of course, she probably feels no risk of losing the latter two while she's away...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
Two, Ranka and Sheryl are not friends. Sheryl does her mentor thing and tosses inspirational words while striking a head-held high pose, and Ranka takes it in and does her Idol-in-training thing where she says "Hai!" and straightens her posture. Privately or publicly, Sheryl hasn't interacted with Ranka that didn't have something to do with Ranka's career, with one exception, possibly two if that one concert wasn't entirely metaphorical.
That's not entirely true. Sheryl's mentorship is a form of friendship in itself. She gets no benefit out of Ranka's success. It's an awkward way of building a friendship (which is understandable, given her past), but she wouldn't have done it in the first place if she didn't care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
And three, Alto slaves for her, while she flirts with/teases him endlessly. They don't to do stuff together, he just follows her while she does whatever. She probably only confided in him because he was the only person she knew that didn't work for her in an official capacity and she needed an outlet. She's lonely, he's beautiful, and she knows him somewhat on a personal basis, which is more than can be said for the rest of the human race. Beggers can't be choosers right?
I got the impression that Alto took Sheryl to the Zentradi mall because he wanted to show it to her, rather than the other way around. He may be tsundere, but he's not doing this against his will. Also, why trust a mere outlet with your only memento of your mother?

You can't choose who you love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
Actually Ozma got on her shit-list for lying to her for what was probably years, and seems to have kept his distance while using proxies like Mikhail and Bobby to look after her in his place.
Ozma had no choice but to keep his piloting a secret, because of Ranka's trauma. Ranka doesn't dislike him for it, either. During the concert, she was clearly worried about the fact that he had to go out and fight. The only reason that Ranka ever brought up Ozma's lie was to justify to Michael why she ran away and made Ozma worry about her, in episode five.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
I can't recall a single time Ranka claimed no one cared about her, or held it against someone when she didn't recieve their undivided attention.
If you insist...

Episode Five:
Michael: "Huh? You wanted to ask him of all people?"
Ranka: "Because Alto actually listens to what I have to say, unlike you or my brother!"
Michael: "So harsh. Let's head back after we eat this. Your brother is worried about you."
Ranka: "No! He always treats me like a kid!"

Not that's a bad thing, of course. Ranka is still in the process of growing up, just like Alto and Sheryl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
I'd like to point out that loneliness really isn't a matter of how many people one is close to - it's more a factor of how a lack of closeness makes one feel.
Well said. That's why even though Ranka and Sheryl face different circumstances, their problems have much in common. The potential for a mutual understanding here could be used to relieve the strain placed on their relationship by the love triangle, at a later point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pan chan View Post
I aslo find her more "human" than Sheryl, I mean more real. I really like Sheryl but she is just too awesome, even in her weakness. I find her "changeable" and I can't grasp her character at all, that annoy me.
Sheryl is supposed to be larger than life. But that's only when you view her from a distance; get close enough and you'll see that she's the same size as everyone else.
__________________
Swampstorm is offline  
Old 2008-06-11, 11:00   Link #273
Pan chan
I am a slipper :3
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: France
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampstorm View Post


Sheryl is supposed to be larger than life. But that's only when you view her from a distance; get close enough and you'll see that she's the same size as everyone else.
Yeah I know but I can't help it, I can't grasp her at all and I hope it's just a matter of time before I manage to. But it's Ranka thread, so I'll stop her before someone kick my butt XD.

Well in order to not be completely off topic, I want the same phone as Ranka, this thing is multitask ! Phone, pillow, anti stress and...others things .
Pan chan is offline  
Old 2008-06-11, 16:02   Link #274
Wesley84
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampstorm View Post
Ozma had no choice but to keep his piloting a secret, because of Ranka's trauma. Ranka doesn't dislike him for it, either. During the concert, she was clearly worried about the fact that he had to go out and fight. The only reason that Ranka ever brought up Ozma's lie was to justify to Michael why she ran away and made Ozma worry about her, in episode five.
Being on a shit-list doesn't mean you stop caring about a person. She still hasn't forgiven him for denigrating her dream and lying to her like he had been, even if she's kind of come to terms with the fact he's a pilot.

Quote:
If you insist...

Episode Five:
Michael: "Huh? You wanted to ask him of all people?"
Ranka: "Because Alto actually listens to what I have to say, unlike you or my brother!"
Michael: "So harsh. Let's head back after we eat this. Your brother is worried about you."
Ranka: "No! He always treats me like a kid!"

Not that's a bad thing, of course. Ranka is still in the process of growing up, just like Alto and Sheryl.
Great. He listens. He's a great listener. Just empty your head and take it all in.
Wesley84 is offline  
Old 2008-06-11, 21:58   Link #275
Swampstorm
Lovestruck Fool?
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
Being on a shit-list doesn't mean you stop caring about a person. She still hasn't forgiven him for denigrating her dream and lying to her like he had been, even if she's kind of come to terms with the fact he's a pilot.
Ranka did bring her manager home to get permission from Ozma, so that suggests that she still looks for his seal of approval. This is a strange list indeed if it comes with no repercussions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
Great. He listens. He's a great listener. Just empty your head and take it all in.
She says that he listens properly, and that they don't. She then quotes this as a reason for why she wants his company and not theirs. So it would seem to follow that Ranka can in fact hold something against people who don't give her their undivided attention.

It's not that Michael doesn't listen, either. He may have a habit of saying stupid things at times, but he still goes out of his way to watch out for Ranka and hear her out, even if she doesn't recognize it.
__________________
Swampstorm is offline  
Old 2008-06-11, 22:03   Link #276
herbert
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Galactic Fairy Fanclub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
I can't recall a single time Ranka claimed no one cared about her, or held it against someone when she didn't recieve their undivided attention.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampstorm View Post
If you insist...

Episode Five:
Michael: "Huh? You wanted to ask him of all people?"
Ranka: "Because Alto actually listens to what I have to say, unlike you or my brother!"
Michael: "So harsh. Let's head back after we eat this. Your brother is worried about you."
Ranka: "No! He always treats me like a kid!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
Great. He listens. He's a great listener. Just empty your head and take it all in.
Congratulation! Wesley84, you finally get it. And if you can see Ranka is lonely or at least feels lonely, I can answer you next question now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
Though I do wonder why Alto's at all important to either her or Sheryl. Is it just his looks? If he were ugly, the multiple near life and death situations they've shared probably wouldn't have meant all that much, and Alto isn't exactly charming or a great speaker. Evidently all of his charisma is reserved for the stage.
Sheryl's case has already been well explained above so I skip it.

On Ranka's case, it's not like she doesn't have friends or people around not care about her, but she doesn't think at the time she has the kind of friends which she expects Alto to be.
Quote:
This is because she's a friendly, likeable, unthreatening person, and people take to her naturally.
Well said. This is exactly why I think Ranka BELIEVES she needs Alto: Ranka is a nice but normal girl. Those befriend her because she is normal. She would feel lonely if she is remains in the normal girl mode; she would Believe she needs someone like Alto if she want to turn off the normal girl mode (like a career in singing) because she doesn't have the guts to trust her many friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampstorm View Post
He may have a habit of saying stupid things at times, but he still goes out of his way to watch out for Ranka and hear her out, even if she doesn't recognize it.
It's a big problem on Ranka's side. But I guess it would be equally difficult for some Ranka fans to admit Ranka has herself trapped due to her own silliness as for them to quit harsh critics on Alto and Sheryl.
__________________
herbert is offline  
Old 2008-06-11, 22:10   Link #277
Wesley84
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampstorm View Post
Ranka did bring her manager home to get permission from Ozma, so that suggests that she still looks for his seal of approval. This is a strange list indeed if it comes with no repercussions.
It was a matter of legalities. She's a minor, Ozma's her guardian (why is beyond me), and papers needed signing.

Quote:
She says that he listens properly, and that they don't. She then quotes this as a reason for why she wants his company and not theirs. So it would seem to follow that Ranka can in fact hold something against people who don't give her their undivided attention.
Hah! No, it's more like Ranka can say whatever to Alto and not have to worry about him trying to have a conversation/arguement. Everyone else would probably say something to the effect of what she should do, instead of saying she should do whatever she wants. Alto's so focused on folding paper airplanes he doesn't really have the mind to help plan Ranka's life.
Wesley84 is offline  
Old 2008-06-11, 22:16   Link #278
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
I just love the way her hair moves when she's emotional. Like a puppy's ears... That quarter zentraldi blood sure is useful.

I think she has a huge secret and it's the key to the whole show. Perhaps, what draws the Vajras to Macross Frontier is her or at least her music. It seemed that they were even looking for her during the initial attacks. She'll be the key to the whole "war" and there will be another cute teen boy who's the head of the Vajras and she'll be torn between him and Hime-sama... and her decisions will decide the future of the fleet or even Humanity. Or something like that.

I love her voice actress and thus her singing voice. It's hard been a teen idol... her attempt at "publicity" feel just like those cosplay idols on the sidewalks of Akiba trying to get the attention of the otaku... Poor Ranka-chan.
AVPlaya is offline  
Old 2008-06-12, 01:01   Link #279
ani_d
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4tran
The reason Alto touches Ranka is at least partly due to the fact that he's the only male character around Ranka's age that she knows apart from Ozma's connections. Remember that she used to go to an all-girls' school, and that the only other youngish male characters she's familiar with are Michel and Luca. Put the fact that Alto made a big impression on Ranka the first few times they met, and how easily they hit it off; a connection and romance aren't all that hard to imagine.
In episode 10, we see more reasons from Ranka as to why she got attached to Alto other than he's pretty and nice. The guy always comes to her rescue, gives her advice, makes time specifically just so she can talk to him, encourages her and most of all supports her when she needs it. They're really close. This is why Ranka got upset when she found out about Alto's past that everyone knows but her. If you think about it, Alto basically knows everything about Ranka---he knows about her dreams, he knows her past, he even knows more stuffs about her than she does lol How about her? Nada. I find it so interesting actually. It's not like Alto doesn't think anything of her. Out of everyone, he actually acts very differently whenever he's alone with her. I guess it's just the chance. They need a long self-reflection chat to develop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Why's Alto important to them?

For Sheryl: He doesn't treat her as superstar. While that kind of attention is gratifying, it also puts a distance between her and other people. She's got enough of it from other sources. He also doesn't lust after her like most boys his age would, so he's even more comfortable to be with.
As to Sheryl, yes, it's because Alto doesn't treat her differently. However, I think that's just because Alto himself was also a celebrity. They both know entertainment industry. In fact, Alto really doesn't treat Sheryl differently than anyone. Mikhail teases Alto, he gets mad. Sheryl teases Alto, he gets mad. Mikhail bosses Alto, he begrudgingly obeys. Sheryl bosses Alto, he bregrudgingly obeys. No different at all lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampstorm
She says that he listens properly, and that they don't. She then quotes this as a reason for why she wants his company and not theirs. So it would seem to follow that Ranka can in fact hold something against people who don't give her their undivided attention.
Brat mode? Personally, Ranka's bratty fit is just one of her traits that makes her more dimensional. I don't see why some are taking this so harshly against her and never letting her live it down. Ozma lied to her about putting his life in danger, and that's why Ranka felt the need to return the favor--in this case, her little rebellion. She gets to be selfish because Ozma was being selfish too. Just the fact that she got mad over this in her own way clearly spelled out how much Ozma means to her. Besides, it's not like her rebellion was something so serious. Her brattish reasoning was supposed to be a silly thing. Hate is NOT the opposite of love. It's apathy. Just because she acted like that doesn't necessarily mean that she automatically hates people who never listen. That's just taking everything in on the surface and not seeing the underlying feelings beneath.
ani_d is offline  
Old 2008-06-12, 02:20   Link #280
Westlo
Lets be reality
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_d View Post
This is why Ranka got upset when she found out about Alto's past that everyone knows but her. If you think about it, Alto basically knows everything about Ranka---he knows about her dreams, he knows her past, he even knows more stuffs about her than she does lol How about her? Nada.
And who's fault is that? What's the topic of nearly every conversation they have had. Who's the focus? Why doesn't she ask her friends who know him about him?
Westlo is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:57.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.