AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Macross

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-10-02, 07:53   Link #841
BetoJR
D-d-don't look!!!
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Fortaleza-CE, Brazil
Age: 37
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
I chucked at that scene. Its like a reward to her or something.
It did have that feel, didn't it? It was a nice scene, nonetheless.
__________________
It's always a great time to immerse yourself in Deculture love!
All hail the Empress!!!

BetoJR is offline  
Old 2008-10-03, 04:41   Link #842
skyfirefly
Reisen + Cuppy Cake ♥
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: in her arms..
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
It did have that feel, didn't it? It was a nice scene, nonetheless.
and it shows Alto's good hair...
skyfirefly is offline  
Old 2008-10-03, 11:36   Link #843
Seifall
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
I feel a lot the same too. When I look at how Minmay forsake her love interest in order to save her friendship before taking on her career and become a legend, Ranka was the perfect candidate to repeat history again in a more spectacular way. Most of my disappointment comes from the poor result in Ranka's growth as a character when it wa sclearly expected she would follow the same route.
Disappointment ? I'm surprised to learn you were expecting something from her
The fundamental difference between Minmei and Ranka is that Minmei didn't care about like you said "her love interest" at the beginning, unlike Ranka who since episode 1 was already infatuated wth Alto's charm and after his personality...

Quote:
It describes best Ranka: she can't save her own butt by herself when it's required. She doesn't do much useful stuff all by herself alone and, God, I was right when I wished Ranka was thrown face-to-face with at least HALF of the problems Sheryl was facing in order to grow her character, understand others and put her selfishness into the trash bin.
This is too easy, I could also say :
It describes best Sheryl : she couldn't save her own butt by herself, so Ranka did it
And seriously, people love to say they can't sympathize with Ranka, since showing some pity for a character like her is ridiculous.
But they tend to ignore that since episode 18 compassion is the first word in your mind when you want to describe Sheryl's character...
Why I'm saying that ? It's simple : Since people knew Sheryl was dying in episode 18, they started to compare Sheryl's poor life with Ranka's joyful life ...


Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Spoiler for ..:


Come on, are you really blind?!?!?

Couldn't resist it... sorry.

That's why I saw it coming and added " a lot of "

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minari View Post
Seifall is always in denial or living in his own little bubble world. Not surprised since that's the way he is.
This is the first time I speak with you !
I'm Seifall, nice to meet you! How are you ?!
Oh, my bad !Looks like you already know me ,well

Quote:
Dogs always kiss their masters. . . lol It's very common.


Quote:
and on the comment of "Daytime Ranka, Evening Sheryl... "
I think Kawamori explains very clearly who he would actually do in bed.
And I think you just sunk your ship here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
I was really expecting Ranka to find things out on her own, besides the whole "Bresra is your onii-chan!" thing. Instead they spent a few minutes explaining crap, without Ranka achieveing any degree of discovery, whether it was about herself or the Vajra.

Otherwise, Grace easily manipulating her and Ranka crawling back to Alto...

Yeah, just a waste of time with her character.
But you couldn't expect too much with 25 mn.
Did you see how they resolved Sheryl's problem about her disease, it was hilarious.
We don't know that much about Bilrer, Mao's husband, ...
And Grace's death who seemed so invincible, two episode ago died being shot by Alto.
Ranka's character had possibilities to evolve more but didn't, due to lack of time.
Seifall is offline  
Old 2008-12-10, 23:34   Link #844
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New York City
It's irritating to hear you guys hate on Ranka so much, it is true that she didn't get enough time to develop as a character but hopefully they add another season, but most likely things will be explained in the movie. Ranka is just young and naive, to simply put it but that is what makes her character lovable, she's pure. She is the character that people love to hate, and it's because she is so pure.

What others find annoying about Ranka, I find cute. I figure that people seem to hate her because she is what others aren't. I wish I myself were as pure as her, but there is no such thing in the real world, no one will be able to survive in the real world being like Ranka, but it works in a science fiction anime of course, we as humans are deceptive and pretty much deceitful but Ranka is that character that is truly pure of heart.

It's too bad that they didn't make the series longer because I would have loved to see Ranka's character develop more, hopefully we see something in the movie because I was disappointed at the ending of Macross Frontier, honestly I think that Ranka is really the person for Alto considering that she was supposed to be the middle of the triangle but since so many people loved Sheryl, they didn't kill her off. At least that's what I heard, but who knows.
DeX-kun is offline  
Old 2008-12-10, 23:43   Link #845
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Neu Herzogtum Zeon
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
It's irritating to hear you guys hate on Ranka so much, it is true that she didn't get enough time to develop as a character but hopefully they add another season, but most likely things will be explained in the movie. Ranka is just young and naive, to simply put it but that is what makes her character lovable, she's pure. She is the character that people love to hate, and it's because she is so pure.

What others find annoying about Ranka, I find cute. I figure that people seem to hate her because she is what others aren't. I wish I myself were as pure as her, but there is no such thing in the real world, no one will be able to survive in the real world being like Ranka, but it works in a science fiction anime of course, we as humans are deceptive and pretty much deceitful but Ranka is that character that is truly pure of heart.

It's too bad that they didn't make the series longer because I would have loved to see Ranka's character develop more, hopefully we see something in the movie because I was disappointed at the ending of Macross Frontier, honestly I think that Ranka is really the person for Alto considering that she was supposed to be the middle of the triangle but since so many people loved Sheryl, they didn't kill her off. At least that's what I heard, but who knows.
If it is irritating to hear people hating on Ranka, it is equally irritating to hear her fans defending her purity. For her alleged purity and innocence, humanity paid a huge price for it. She lost all of her likability the last time she chose escape (repeatedly) over facing reality and dumped all of her responsibility on a sick, dying woman. Despite all these, Ranka has yet to express anything resembling an apology.

As for killing Sheryl off? Sorry, that was never meant to be. Kawamori only mentioned that a staff brought the idea to him as a mere suggestion, which he promptly rejected.

And he later went onto saying his original intent for Ranka would never work out. In fact, that is why he sent her away.

- Tak (There is no innocence, only degrees of guilt. For what Ranka had done, she got off very lightly)
__________________
- Flight to Brazil? $1,500
- FIFA Stadium Ticket? $500
- Witnessing Coach Joachim Lw crack a smile at the World-Cup Final? PRICELESS


There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there is Master Card.


Get strong like ROCK! Not weak like Barack! Putincize now!

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Tak is offline  
Old 2008-12-10, 23:51   Link #846
herbert
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Galactic Fairy Fanclub
I think people in this board had discussed more than enough if Ranka is pure or not, thus I won't argue on this point. However, MF is not a slice of life series, it's a plot-heavey show and Ranka is its heroine. Mind you, most people expected more than pureness from heroines. If Ranka is just a pure and cute girl, she is better off as a secondary character. And stop talking about time constraints for Ranka's character development, Alto is the one who really suffers. You know one of main reasons people hate Ranka? She got too much screentime and developed little to nothing.

As the pairing, most people believe it's logically Sheryl and Alto. I don't mean you are wrong or anything because I don't know why you think that way. I only tell you it's the opinion of majority.

Edit: Damn, got beaten by Tak, AGAIN.
__________________
herbert is offline  
Old 2008-12-11, 01:51   Link #847
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New York City
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
If it is irritating to hear people hating on Ranka, it is equally irritating to hear her fans defending her purity. For her alleged purity and innocence, humanity paid a huge price for it. She lost all of her likability the last time she chose escape (repeatedly) over facing reality and dumped all of her responsibility on a sick, dying woman. Despite all these, Ranka has yet to express anything resembling an apology.

As for killing Sheryl off? Sorry, that was never meant to be. Kawamori only mentioned that a staff brought the idea to him as a mere suggestion, which he promptly rejected.

And he later went onto saying his original intent for Ranka would never work out. In fact, that is why he sent her away.

- Tak (There is no innocence, only degrees of guilt. For what Ranka had done, she got off very lightly)
Ok, the main reason I defend her is because it isn't fair for everybody dump all that responsibility on a 16 year old girl, have you ever considered her feelings at all, as for the love thing...well Sheryl practically threw herself at Alto with every chance she got and it was shown plenty of times that Alto prefers Ranka considering the whole time he was jealous of Brera, since he didn't know that he was Ranka's brother until the final episode when he said "Brother?" (And in the beginning when Sheryl forced him on that date, Alto was more concerned about what Ranka was doing with Michel when he saw them get on a train together to Formo Mall)

It's funny how everyone ignores the selfish actions of other characters and only concentrate on the one they hate/dislike. As for the apology, well that's pretty bold considering the fact that her intention was to end the pointless war in the first place since she had a feeling that the Vajra weren't the real enemies, besides it wasn't Ranka's choice to be who she was...it just wasn't fair. Sheryl is a good character I admit that but no character is without their flaws. Oh and by the way, Sheryl should be thanking Ranka for saving her life.
DeX-kun is offline  
Old 2008-12-11, 03:13   Link #848
forgottendiary
Izanami
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Space-time
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to forgottendiary Send a message via MSN to forgottendiary Send a message via Yahoo to forgottendiary Send a message via Skype™ to forgottendiary
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
Ok, the main reason I defend her is because it isn't fair for everybody dump all that responsibility on a 16 year old girl, have you ever considered her feelings at all,
Fine, fine whatever you say. This only justifies she's more of a second class heroine. In other words, she ain't the main chick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
as for the love thing...well Sheryl practically threw herself at Alto with every chance she got
You must be confused. While Sheryl might've been the pro-active seme for the first half of the series, as soon as she found out about her illness, she instantly pushed Alto and her feelings for him away. Right before she jumps off onto the deck she declares there was only herself and her song.

That aside, Kawamori himself acknowledged he likes the Alto/Sheryl scenes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
and it was shown plenty of times that Alto prefers Ranka considering the whole time he was jealous of Brera, since he didn't know that he was Ranka's brother until the final episode when he said "Brother?"
This is like deja vu, lol. He prefers her so much he was considering of nuking her to smithereens. Jealous of Brera? Cuz he was manlier than he was?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
(And in the beginning when Sheryl forced him on that date, Alto was more concerned about what Ranka was doing with Michel when he saw them get on a train together to Formo Mall)
He could've left you know, but see, he was more concerned about getting his talisman back. Don't wanna go into semantics here, but he only happened to see them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
It's funny how everyone ignores the selfish actions of other characters and only concentrate on the one they hate/dislike.
Back at you. It's called bounded rationalism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
As for the apology, well that's pretty bold considering the fact that her intention was to end the pointless war in the first place since she had a feeling that the Vajra weren't the real enemies, besides it wasn't Ranka's choice to be who she was...it just wasn't fair.
She had a feeling? It was more of like she got heart broken and out of the blue declared she wanted to die.

Nothing is fair. It's the classic we don't choose who our parents or siblings are either. By the same vein, she was aware that she was an important element in the fight with the Vajra and yet she copped out/left because: </3 --> return love-machine home --> Kawamori didn't know what the hell to do with her character

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
Sheryl is a good character I admit that but no character is without their flaws. Oh and by the way, Sheryl should be thanking Ranka for saving her life.
Lol, another deja vu. Yes, thank you so much Jesus Lee for saving the life of one one of the most awesome characters ever to grace my computer screen.
__________________
forgottendiary is offline  
Old 2008-12-11, 03:19   Link #849
herbert
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Galactic Fairy Fanclub
I sorta wonder why you keep bringing Sheryl up. Do you sincerely believe people hate Ranka because they are Sheryl fans?

Let me say something about your arguments.

it's not Ranka's fault behaving like 16 year old (or 10 year old most people think so) or having the ability on bugs. It's her fault to be a boring heroine in everyone's beloved Macross series.

Let's not forget Ranka throws herself to the guy without wearing underwear (here is screenshoot); let not forget Alto most likely dislike Brera because that guy shoots him in battle; let's not forget Ranka is a runaway and Mikhail is a womanizer; let's not forget Alto doesn't seems having any special feeling when he is in Ranka's room. Do you only remember the parts you like?

Tell me about "the selfish actions of other characters" and tell me how their selfish actions cause death of others (not necessary to be in thousands or millions).

I don't see Ranka has any idea to end the so-called pointless war. I only remember she wants to send Ai-gun home. Please enlight me how you support your conclusion. I only saw her abandoning her responsibility as the songtress of hope and her home fleet for the sake of a single bug. Even she does have a good intention to end that war, can she just sing a song for those whom have been killed by bugs before she leaves?
__________________
herbert is offline  
Old 2008-12-11, 03:46   Link #850
magnuskn
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Age: 39
I actually liked Ranka quite much at the beginning. Only when her refusal to grow and mature began to cost the lives of thousands of the citizens of Macross ( and Michaels life ), was when I truly began to haterize the crap out of her. I think that can be easily discerned from the episode threads.
__________________
magnuskn is online now  
Old 2008-12-11, 03:59   Link #851
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New York City
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgottendiary View Post
Fine, fine whatever you say. This only justifies she's more of a second class heroine. In other words, she ain't the main chick

lol how does that imply that she's a second class heroine when she had more screen time then Sheryl, Ranka missed an episode and a half, maybe 2. And Ranka is one of the most important characters in the anime, I was saying that it wasn't fair to dump all that responsibilty on her in response to Tak's comment saying Ranka dumped all the responsibility on a dying girl (Sheryl) which I beg to differ.


Quote:
Originally Posted by forgottendiary View Post
You must be confused. While Sheryl might've been the pro-active seme for the first half of the series, as soon as she found out about her illness, she instantly pushed Alto and her feelings for him away. Right before she jumps off onto the deck she declares there was only herself and her song.

Yeah she kept pushing her away so much so that for some reason they kept meeting up in ridiculous situations. (The part where she was on the bench in that park and Alto somehow found her there) and I know he took her to his room because he didn't want to leave her there, that would just be wrong.


Quote:
Originally Posted by forgottendiary View Post
That aside, Kawamori himself acknowledged he likes the Alto/Sheryl scenes.

Well whether he said that or not, it doesn't mean that he will write that situation, just like the original script was re-written, he could change his mind about this too.


Quote:
Originally Posted by forgottendiary View Post
This is like deja vu, lol. He prefers her so much he was considering of nuking her to smithereens.

Oh come on now lol first off like I stated before, I believe he was conflicted with the idea that Ranka was with Brera now and since he had to defend Frontier, no other choice but to kill Ranka if needed. Given the situation, his emotions were swirling.


Quote:
Originally Posted by forgottendiary View Post
He could've left you know, but see, he was more concerned about getting his talisman back. Don't wanna go into semantics here, but he only happened to see them.

Honestly now, would you make a fool out of yourself and make an assumption that they were doing something and present yourself to them to make sure, most people would spy on them which brings me to my next point, what made him want to go to Formo Mall? I hope you remember when Sheryl asked where was the next place, Alto immediately jumped up and took her to Formo, exactly where Ranka and Michel were. (I seriously doubt it was a coincidence considering Alto's reaction to where they should go.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgottendiary View Post
Back at you. It's called bounded rationalism.

You're so called "Bounded Rationalism" makes no sense in this situation because 1. I never ignored the selfish actions that Ranka has made because she isn't the only one to make selfish decisions, and 2. I'm not concentrated on Sheryl's actions and I have not made any negative comments towards her, as I've said before I do think she's a great character but I don't see how Ranka is the only one making mistakes and making wrong decisions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgottendiary View Post
She had a feeling? It was more of like she got heart broken and out of the blue declared she wanted to die.

Nothing is fair. It's the classic we don't choose who our parents or siblings are either. By the same vein, she was aware that she was an important element in the fight with the Vajra and yet she copped out/left because: </3 --> return love-machine home --> Kawamori didn't know what the hell to do with her character

Yes she got her heart broken and couldn't sing because she was aware that it wouldn't have the same affect, I mean her world crashed before her eyes (you must understand the feeling of first love) and you can tell her to suck it up but that's easier said then done. This also has nothing to do with what she realized about the Vajra because it was after this event when Ai-kun came to her and molted into the 2nd stage version and she realized that if there is a Vajra that is this kind, then they can't really be bad which led her to make her decision.


Whether you think it was the right decision or not is your opinion but she had the right intentions, just like Alto was willing to kill Ranka for the sake of Frontier, she was willing to go out of her way to save Frontier as well. Kawamori didn't know what to do with her character, well now there is plenty of time to think about it, but that is still irrelevant to what we're talking about.


Quote:
Originally Posted by forgottendiary View Post
Lol, another deja vu. Yes, thank you so much Jesus Lee for saving the life of one one of the most awesome characters ever to grace my computer screen.

Careful now, your fanboyism is showing lol and before you say that I'm a fanboy too, I'm gonna admit that I am a fan of Ranka, but there is a difference between you and me and that's my willingness to understand both sides of the coins. Again, I'm not bashing or hating on Sheryl, but rationalizing your negative comments towards Ranka and expressing my interpretation of the love triangle.

Please, if you're gonna respond to me then do so in a respectful manner because I'm not here to argue, I'm only being aggressive because everyone seems to attack people that have different opinions about the love triangle and are really being unfair about Ranka, it seems as though nobody wants to understand her situation and the difficulties there are under emotional stress. Everyone is not the same, that's what makes Ranka who she is and Sheryl who she is.

Last edited by DeX-kun; 2008-12-11 at 04:24.
DeX-kun is offline  
Old 2008-12-11, 04:17   Link #852
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New York City
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbert View Post
I sorta wonder why you keep bringing Sheryl up. Do you sincerely believe people hate Ranka because they are Sheryl fans?

Let me say something about your arguments.

it's not Ranka's fault behaving like 16 year old (or 10 year old most people think so) or having the ability on bugs. It's her fault to be a boring heroine in everyone's beloved Macross series.

Let's not forget Ranka throws herself to the guy without wearing underwear (here is screenshoot); let not forget Alto most likely dislike Brera because that guy shoots him in battle; let's not forget Ranka is a runaway and Mikhail is a womanizer; let's not forget Alto doesn't seems having any special feeling when he is in Ranka's room. Do you only remember the parts you like?

Tell me about "the selfish actions of other characters" and tell me how their selfish actions cause death of others (not necessary to be in thousands or millions).

I don't see Ranka has any idea to end the so-called pointless war. I only remember she wants to send Ai-gun home. Please enlight me how you support your conclusion. I only saw her abandoning her responsibility as the songtress of hope and her home fleet for the sake of a single bug. Even she does have a good intention to end that war, can she just sing a song for those whom have been killed by bugs before she leaves?
*sigh* This is more work than what it's worth. What I see from you is more biased opinions and your unwillingness to understand my side of the picture, this really will never end but you can't claim she's a boring heroine because not EVERYBODY has the same opinions as you. As for that scene with her without underwear, well she was in a hospital and she went to give him a hug, she didn't go and try to kiss him, she was just happy to see him, and forgot that she was wearing nothing underneath.

Yes Alto is pissed that Brera is always shooting at him but he also sees him as a rival, this is my opinion, whether you think this or not is up to you to decide but it's fine if you disagree. The story has to end somewhere and even if she did sing and stop the Vajra at the point in time, the story would just repeat itself, there has to be a twist somewhere and Kawamori decided it was time. Besides, she tried to help but it backfired because she was hurt at the moment and was emotionally unstable, it's not like she completely ignored the situation, you're really being unfair here. Ranka wanted to end the pointless war by having both sides co-exist instead of one race being completely wiped out. Do you remember only the parts that you want to remember? Because Ai-kun wasn't the whole reason she went, I just explained the reason why she went.

I remember almost everything from the anime. See you have to understand the emotional state that she was in, the singing wasn't premeditated. They told her to sing when she had so much going on, I really doubt that other people would be able to sing right after everything she's gone through. Besides after seeing how the Vajra reacted when she tried singing "Aimo" I don't think she wanted to call back some more angry Vajra, I'm sorry Michel didn't get a song but I don't think he would have minded, unless he wanted more Vajra to kill.
DeX-kun is offline  
Old 2008-12-11, 05:07   Link #853
BetoJR
D-d-don't look!!!
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Fortaleza-CE, Brazil
Age: 37
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
I'm not concentrated on Sheryl's actions and I have not made any negative comments towards her, as I've said before I do think she's a great character but I don't see how Ranka is the only one making mistakes and making wrong decisions.
Right. Just answer me this, then: when did Sheryl's mistakes endanger the very existence of the Frontier fleet? I mean, if you're gonna compare...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
Yes she got her heart broken and couldn't sing because she was aware that it wouldn't have the same affect
And exactly HOW was she aware of this? I mean, only Grace seemed to realize that at that point in the anime, not anyone else.

And about your doubting "that other people would be able to sing right after everything she's gone through", Sheryl did just that. And continued to do just that, even after Ranka left. But, clearly, she is not merely other people.
__________________
It's always a great time to immerse yourself in Deculture love!
All hail the Empress!!!

BetoJR is offline  
Old 2008-12-11, 06:50   Link #854
forgottendiary
Izanami
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Space-time
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to forgottendiary Send a message via MSN to forgottendiary Send a message via Yahoo to forgottendiary Send a message via Skype™ to forgottendiary
Wall of text, how I missed you so~

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
lol how does that imply that she's a second class heroine when she had more screen time then Sheryl, Ranka missed an episode and a half, maybe 2. And Ranka is one of the most important characters in the anime, I was saying that it wasn't fair to dump all that responsibilty on her in response to Tak's comment saying Ranka dumped all the responsibility on a dying girl (Sheryl) which I beg to differ.
Exactly! She had so much screen time and yet, and yet her character development stalled to the point of Kawamori banishing her. That's what makes her second rate. She was so enthused to sing, have people hear her etc etc but when things weren't as pretty as picture taking and kira-ing anymore she decides singing isn't that all awesum.

Who else was there to take her place? I really can't recall anyone standing up to take her place except Sheryl. She accepted everything that was thrown at her. Every single thing while juggling death and keeping her head up high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
Yeah she kept pushing her away so much so that for some reason they kept meeting up in ridiculous situations. (The part where she was on the bench in that park and Alto somehow found her there) and I know he took her to his room because he didn't want to leave her there, that would just be wrong.
The park episode (ep 16, Ranka attack) is waaay before Grace malevolently tells Sheryl that she's going to die (ep 18, Triangler). The pushing away begins thereafter. There was even an official episode summary (either for Northern Cross or Final Frontier) that went something like, "pushing thoughts of Alto way, Sheryl sing for Frontier".

If there was anything ridiculous about their scenes together, they were ridiculously (in a very awesome way) overflowing with hawtness and chemistry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
Well whether he said that or not, it doesn't mean that he will write that situation, just like the original script was re-written, he could change his mind about this too.
It's on paper. Kawamori noted how the fans loved the Alto/Sheryl scenes and that he himself felt the same way. Until he retracts that statement, that claim has a big, big, big, big bearing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
Oh come on now lol first off like I stated before, I believe he was conflicted with the idea that Ranka was with Brera now and since he had to defend Frontier, no other choice but to kill Ranka if needed. Given the situation, his emotions were swirling.
Alto? Are we talking about the same super dense Alto that needed Michel and even Klan's interventions? That Alto? If anything, I think him wondering whether cyborg and pet were incesting dating is quite remote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
Honestly now, would you make a fool out of yourself and make an assumption that they were doing something and present yourself to them to make sure, most people would spy on them which brings me to my next point, what made him want to go to Formo Mall? I hope you remember when Sheryl asked where was the next place, Alto immediately jumped up and took her to Formo, exactly where Ranka and Michel were. (I seriously doubt it was a coincidence considering Alto's reaction to where they should go.)
Can you explain to me what was my assumption because I don't remember ever mentioning or ever being in a context where the idea of spying came into view.

Correction right there. When Sheryl asked where was the next place, yes Alto jumped at her and brought her to a Zentradi farm not directly to Formo. Unless Alto is an ESP-er marauding as a pilot, I don't think he would've known that Michel and Ranka went to or for that matter were at Formo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
You're so called "Bounded Rationalism" makes no sense in this situation because 1. I never ignored the selfish actions that Ranka has made because she isn't the only one to make selfish decisions, and 2. I'm not concentrated on Sheryl's actions and I have not made any negative comments towards her, as I've said before I do think she's a great character but I don't see how Ranka is the only one making mistakes and making wrong decisions.
It's not mine to claim, credit Herbert Simon for coining the term. Actually, I think it applies to all things we do and deal with everyday. The very fact that you or for that matter, we, choose to go about such protocols suggest a bounded rationalism (i.e. coming up considerations as there will never ever be a complete set).

Sure, anyone can make a selfish decision. Only problem is retribution. If becoming Jesus Lee is Ranka's retribution, no matter how cheap that is, then I guess it's retribution nonetheless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
Yes she got her heart broken and couldn't sing because she was aware that it wouldn't have the same affect, I mean her world crashed before her eyes (you must understand the feeling of first love) and you can tell her to suck it up but that's easier said then done.
What Beto said.

And oh btw, I was once told I had cancer and that unless I get operated asap, I'll be goners for good.

Sheryl's world more than crashed before her eyes when her clock started ticking and yes, she sucked it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
This also has nothing to do with what she realized about the Vajra because it was after this event when Ai-kun came to her and molted into the 2nd stage version and she realized that if there is a Vajra that is this kind, then they can't really be bad which led her to make her decision.
So how about those not-just-molted Vajra groupies out to cause more havoc to Frontier? She left Frontier when it needed her most. It can't get any clearer than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
Whether you think it was the right decision or not is your opinion but she had the right intentions, just like Alto was willing to kill Ranka for the sake of Frontier, she was willing to go out of her way to save Frontier as well. Kawamori didn't know what to do with her character, well now there is plenty of time to think about it, but that is still irrelevant to what we're talking about.
Haha, yea well, she sorta wanted to take Alto away with her too but he knew better. K Frontier, wait for me, I'll save you just you see. I'm just gonna go find out if these bugs are actually nice, so just hold on for a bit. If anyone dies, I'm sorry. I'm trying to make an omelette here, gotta break some eggs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
Careful now, your fanboyism is showing lol and before you say that I'm a fanboy too, I'm gonna admit that I am a fan of Ranka, but there is a difference between you and me and that's my willingness to understand both sides of the coins. Again, I'm not bashing or hating on Sheryl, but rationalizing your negative comments towards Ranka and expressing my interpretation of the love triangle.
Sorry to disappoint, I'm a XX. Is there anything left to understand about Ranka? AFAIK, it's just Aimo aimo, tatsukete, kyaaaa, kira, and dokun dokun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
Please, if you're gonna respond to me then do so in a respectful manner because I'm not here to argue, I'm only being aggressive because everyone seems to attack people that have different opinions about the love triangle and are really being unfair about Ranka, it seems as though nobody wants to understand her situation and the difficulties there are under emotional stress. Everyone is not the same, that's what makes Ranka who she is and Sheryl who she is.
Thing is, you sorta arrived with your Ranka flag just at the exact (wrong) time when the previous batch of Ranka regulars left in a very, very disrespectful manner which actually ended up in a few banishments and some other forms of board warfare. You can probably say the era before that, I wasn't such a horrid person.
__________________

Last edited by forgottendiary; 2008-12-11 at 07:26.
forgottendiary is offline  
Old 2008-12-11, 07:18   Link #855
raile
<3
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Lala rainbow land~
Whoa FD....O_O

With all these walls of text. I don't want to add more fuel to the fire, as you guys have got it burning like hell here. XD
raile is offline  
Old 2008-12-11, 07:19   Link #856
dec4rhapsody
*frustrated*
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Glorious Fire Wall-Hmm, I hate my government more than you do.
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to dec4rhapsody
O_o now this is the infamous Ranka hate thread?
Yare yare, minna, genki da na....
__________________
dec4rhapsody is offline  
Old 2008-12-11, 08:29   Link #857
incorrupts
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Greece
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to incorrupts
Ok, i might as well say my opinion about Ranka.
I gotta admit, in the first episodes she was ok. I was not totally ZOMG!she is super mood about her but it was nice to see a girl chasing after her dreams and manages to achieve some great things.

Now, after a point, that became kinda annoying. Meaning, she had a lot of screentime for "whut?" exactly? It was mostly singing {yes, i know Macross is a lot of singing, thank you} and "Alto-kun" lovesick-mode. It just, it was like spending violently lazy screentime about her, with no chara-progress.
And epi 19, settled it for me. Not that she was an obstacle to my OTP of the series {this has nothing to do with the fact that i am Sheryl x Alto fan from the beginning} but whenever she saw AxS together, she had this knee-jerk reaction of Mary Sue and just because she saw this she gets depressed mode and does not want to sing? Are you kidding me? Thank God, Sheryl bitch-slapped her episode 20, someone needed to knock some sense in her.
You got a gift and you can give a chance to people to survive? Then use it dammit. Suck it up and don;t be a drama queen.

And now, this was always the reason i thought Sheryl was so much better than Ranka, she was ready to die and still had the urge to sing not only about herself but for the world as well. While Ranka, came up as a lovesick girl. You ask me, waste of screentime. Don't even gonna go about her after her "goodbye" and her embark on space-journey. Don't wanna add more fire here.
incorrupts is offline  
Old 2008-12-11, 08:42   Link #858
Westlo
Lets be reality
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Clearly since Ranka was the intended winner that's how it's suppose to be, you just can't argue against that. Let's just ignore what actually happened and cling to what was going to happen. Actually lets pretend that Macross Frontier never even happened because Kawamori was going to make a 3d CGI Macross with Gonzo. Who cares that he made Zero and Frontier with Satelight, he intended to make one with Gonzo and that's what counts right? Intention not what actually happened?

Misa and Hikaru? who cares! Misa was suppose to be the Captain Global of the series not the love interest, Minmei wins because she was intended to win, I don't care what happened.

Kira wasn't in Gundam SEED Destiny, he wasn't intended to be the main character at all, heck he wasn't even suppose to be alive because Flaskbackemall intended to kill him in episode 50 and Fllay was suppose to pilot Strike Rogue instead of Cagalli.

And because I know ackem loves when I talk about basketball, my team the Miami Heat winning 06 means nothing because Pat Riley intended to draft Chris Kaman instead of Wade until he was talked out of it.

Thank god these people are smart enough to change what they initially intended to do. It's nice to see that people like Hall of Famer Pat Riley and legendary anime creator Kawamori can be talked into seeing sense and aren't too egotistical to stick with what they wanted to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
Ok, the main reason I defend her is because it isn't fair for everybody dump all that responsibility on a 16 year old girl, have you ever considered her feelings at all, as for the love thing...well Sheryl practically threw herself at Alto with every chance she got and it was shown plenty of times that Alto prefers Ranka considering the whole time he was jealous of Brera, since he didn't know that he was Ranka's brother until the final episode when he said "Brother?"
I'm curious.. have all Ranka shippers sworn a pact to ignore that Brera tried to kill Alto and his friends Klan and Michael and instead "pretend" that all his frustration @ Brera is because of Ranka? No seriously tell me please, I've always wondered.

Quote:
(And in the beginning when Sheryl forced him on that date, Alto was more concerned about what Ranka was doing with Michel when he saw them get on a train together to Formo Mall)
Yeah he was so concerned about Ranka he didn't even bother to talk to her after he saw her singing or explain what he did the day before when he saw her next (lol @ the manga version of this).
Westlo is offline  
Old 2008-12-11, 08:44   Link #859
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Neu Herzogtum Zeon
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
Ok, the main reason I defend her is because it isn't fair for everybody dump all that responsibility on a 16 year old girl,
You are right, it isn't fair. That is, if people forced her to do what she does. Unfortunately for you, hard evidence in the series shown us that she all too gleefully accepted her duty, because being a singer was her dream.

Except later we found out the reason she sang was due to Alto, even if initially it was for the sake of the people and proving her existence. She basically narrowed that vision to one person, and when that person did not acknowledge her, she bolted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
have you ever considered her feelings at all, as for the love thing...well Sheryl practically threw herself at Alto with every chance she got
Ranka did the exact same thing, from excessive text msging, to phone calls, to the hospital scene where she ooops so accidentally wore no pants.

Except Alto only responds to Ranka when she calls him. On the other hand, Alto responds to Sheryl very often without the latter needing to contact him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
and it was shown plenty of times that Alto prefers Ranka considering the whole time he was jealous of Brera, since he didn't know that he was Ranka's brother until the final episode when he said "Brother?"
Alto was never for a second ever jealous of Berera. If he was, episode 21 would have been done differently. We have been shown that Alto was in fact, quite lukewarm, if not cold to Ranka's antics.

Berera presented a challenge to Alto's manhood at a basic level. This was a man who pretty much toyed with the entire SMS squadron, from hand-to-hand combat with Ozma to bruising Alto to completely whack Klan into a pulp only to suddenly becoming their alleged ally. Was it so difficult for you to articulate that Alto simply was unhappy with the arrangement?

Moreover, Ranka was utterly uncomfortable with Berera by her side at the time, not to mention Alto knew little to nothing regarding their relationship. Therefore, to make a connection using this with jealousy,imo, is a bit of a stretch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
(And in the beginning when Sheryl forced him on that date, Alto was more concerned about what Ranka was doing with Michel when he saw them get on a train together to Formo Mall)
Really? To the point where Alto then took Sheryl on a detour? If he had any concerns for Ranka at that moment, why did he not seek her out? Instead, he opted for a fun time with Sheryl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
It's funny how everyone ignores the selfish actions of other characters
Its also funny how you ignore the redemption of other characters while completely ignoring Ranka's lack of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
and only concentrate on the one they hate/dislike.
Right back at you. At least I do not assume such a self-righteous stance.

Yes, I am biased towards a character, and I don't claim otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
As for the apology, well that's pretty bold considering the fact that her intention was to end the pointless war in the first place since she had a feeling that the Vajra weren't the real enemies, besides it wasn't Ranka's choice to be who she was...it just wasn't fair.
And she could not have planned it better? Instead, she intends to drag Alto with her, bind him in a bubble and lock him in chains. That is why I will never be convinced of their relationship.

Moreover, it was this action, this very action that she caused many people to die later in the show. And you are telling me that she isn't at least partially responsible?

Certainly the pilots who died fighting gigant Ranka would not be convinced of her intentions. Try putting yourself in their shoes for a second, because standing on a lofty morale platform simply won't do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
Sheryl is a good character I admit that but no character is without their flaws.
And she redeemed herself.

Ranka did not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
Oh and by the way, Sheryl should be thanking Ranka for saving her life.
Before Ranka could save Sheryl's life, it was Sheryl who saved Ranka's first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dec4rhapsody View Post
O_o now this is the infamous Ranka hate thread?
Yare yare, minna, genki da na....
This is nothing compared to what goes on on some Japanese BBS.

- Tak
__________________
- Flight to Brazil? $1,500
- FIFA Stadium Ticket? $500
- Witnessing Coach Joachim Lw crack a smile at the World-Cup Final? PRICELESS


There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there is Master Card.


Get strong like ROCK! Not weak like Barack! Putincize now!

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Last edited by Tak; 2008-12-11 at 08:56.
Tak is offline  
Old 2008-12-11, 08:48   Link #860
dec4rhapsody
*frustrated*
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Glorious Fire Wall-Hmm, I hate my government more than you do.
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to dec4rhapsody
Maa, and what does that suggest?
That many ppl have the time and energy to pour out their hatred towards some anima chara?<-Oh, gomen, I mean find the most logic reasons to dislike an anime chara.
In short, Ranka should die, ne?
__________________
dec4rhapsody is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:57.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.