AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Macross

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-12-11, 08:51   Link #861
incorrupts
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Greece
Age: 27
Send a message via MSN to incorrupts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dec4rhapsody View Post
In short, Ranka should die, ne?
No one said she should die.
What should die, was the lost screentime that was wasted about her giving absolutely nothing to her chara.
incorrupts is offline  
Old 2008-12-11, 08:52   Link #862
Westlo
Lets be reality
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Before Ranka could save Sheryl's life, it was Sheryl who saved Ranka's first.

- Tak
"Sheryl-san you saved me" I like how this is ignored but what's new from Ranka shippers.
Westlo is offline  
Old 2008-12-11, 08:53   Link #863
dec4rhapsody
*frustrated*
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Glorious Fire Wall-Hmm, I hate my government more than you do.
Age: 27
Send a message via MSN to dec4rhapsody
Quote:
Originally Posted by incorrupts View Post
No one said she should die.
What should die, was the lost screentime that was wasted about her giving absolutely nothing to her chara.
Well, I suppose half of the said boards will be happy to see that~ne?
__________________
dec4rhapsody is offline  
Old 2008-12-11, 08:57   Link #864
incorrupts
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Greece
Age: 27
Send a message via MSN to incorrupts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dec4rhapsody View Post
Well, I suppose half of the said boards will be happy to see that~ne?
I think most of the fans would be happier seeing Ranka moving past forward her innocence-Mary Sue-happy-but-yet-sad-cause-Alto-kun-is-with-Sheryl-again persona and stand up for herself finally. {k-kinda like in the last epi, kinda.}
incorrupts is offline  
Old 2008-12-11, 09:08   Link #865
dec4rhapsody
*frustrated*
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Glorious Fire Wall-Hmm, I hate my government more than you do.
Age: 27
Send a message via MSN to dec4rhapsody
Quote:
Originally Posted by incorrupts View Post
I think most of the fans would be happier seeing Ranka moving past forward her innocence-Mary Sue-happy-but-yet-sad-cause-Alto-kun-is-with-Sheryl-again persona and stand up for herself finally. {k-kinda like in the last epi, kinda.}
Tsumari, Ranka-getting-over-Alto-kun-and-wishing-"お幸せに"-to-just-married-Alto-and-Sheryl-,ne?

<-Actually, I'm fine with that, though I'd rather have a AruSherRan Yuri OT3...
__________________
dec4rhapsody is offline  
Old 2008-12-11, 09:15   Link #866
incorrupts
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Greece
Age: 27
Send a message via MSN to incorrupts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dec4rhapsody View Post
Tsumari, Ranka-getting-over-Alto-kun-and-wishing-"お幸せに"-to-just-married-Alto-and-Sheryl-,ne?

Ok this discussion is pointless. Whatever guys, if you are content with your character being the way it is, let it be. Personally, i look for and expect a hell lot more when it comes to a chara's development.
Oh and to reply to your previous comments about 2ch and a lot of people hating Ranka and proving what? Excuse me, but the same is happening here as well, with a lot of people bashing C.C and stuff or Kallen and the opposite. It is how fandom works, let's not be hypocrites and nit-pick whatever fit our tastes.
incorrupts is offline  
Old 2008-12-11, 09:22   Link #867
dec4rhapsody
*frustrated*
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Glorious Fire Wall-Hmm, I hate my government more than you do.
Age: 27
Send a message via MSN to dec4rhapsody
Quote:
Originally Posted by incorrupts View Post

Ok this discussion is pointless. Whatever guys, if you are content with your character being the way it is, let it be. Personally, i look for and expect a hell lot more when it comes to a chara's development.
Oh and to reply to your previous comments about 2ch and a lot of people hating Ranka and proving what? Excuse me, but the same is happening here as well, with a lot of people bashing C.C and stuff or Kallen and the opposite. It is how fandom works, let's not be hypocrites and nit-pick whatever fit our tastes.
Am I trying to discuss?
No I am basically trolling.
Sigh, actually I am todally anti-chara bashing and I try (emphasis on try) my best not to do that myself (and often end up bashing fandom instead, lol, me the ultra hypocrite).
It's often the case that your dislike towards a certain chara or pairing grows when fans of those charas or pairings can't stop to bash your favourites.
This happens over and over in fandoms, and goes in vicious circle.


Just here to say that I don't agree with any "accusations" above, not because I am a biased Ranka-maniac, it's just that I am delibarately blind to all the chara-flaws in Macross F and therefore likes them all.
__________________
dec4rhapsody is offline  
Old 2008-12-11, 09:29   Link #868
incorrupts
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Greece
Age: 27
Send a message via MSN to incorrupts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dec4rhapsody View Post
Am I trying to discuss?
No I am basically trolling.
Sigh, actually I am todally anti-chara bashing and I try (emphasis on try) my best not to do that myself.
It's often the case that your dislike towards a certain chara or pairing grows when fans of those charas or pairings can't stop to bash your favourites.
This happens over and over in fandoms, and goes in vicious circle.

Oh yeah i noticed, you are talking about CG section? Cause ok, fun is fun but bashing constantly certain charas and their supporters is not. It's getting ridiculous at time. Unless trolling card is used everywhere, ok then.

Anyway, to keep this on topic and not let Geass wank spill over here as well, personally, Ranka was a chara that could have potential but never lived up to expectations. Least mine.
incorrupts is offline  
Old 2008-12-11, 09:35   Link #869
dec4rhapsody
*frustrated*
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Glorious Fire Wall-Hmm, I hate my government more than you do.
Age: 27
Send a message via MSN to dec4rhapsody
Quote:
Originally Posted by incorrupts View Post

Oh yeah i noticed, you are talking about CG section? Cause ok, fun is fun but bashing constantly certain charas and their supporters is not. It's getting ridiculous at time. Unless trolling card is used everywhere, ok then.

Anyway, to keep this on topic and not let Geass wank spill over here as well, personally, Ranka was a chara that could have potential but never lived up to expectations. Least mine.
I am actually talking about fandom in general. AS is not the only place infamous for that.

Back to Ranka. I had different expectations for her and I am partly satisfied with the ending.
It's not over yet, since we will have a sorta rewritten Movie. How do you want her chara handled this time?
__________________
dec4rhapsody is offline  
Old 2008-12-11, 10:32   Link #870
justavisitor
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Earth
lol, wander into Sheryl (I mean macross) forum and see Ranka Lee Thread on top...

Well, I don't wanna add more fuel lol, but if ppl wanna blame Ranka for immature/threatening human race etc again, they can look at my signature to see how I respond.

Of course, my opinions don't represent others XD
__________________
Come and join Ranka Lee Fanclub !!! Join our club and you will see
1)Ranka pics 2)Ranka/Alto pic 3)Relatively Sane discussion about Ranka 4)amv for Ranka
To all old and new Sheryl fans:
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
justavisitor is offline  
Old 2008-12-11, 11:11   Link #871
raile
<3
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Lala rainbow land~
@justavisitor: What is up with you and your signature? Geez. It's not exactly going to affect anyone's opinions, IMHO.

Anyway, on the Ranka topic. As stated, she had plenty of potential. Too bad she failed with other people's expectations and standards. Mine included.

Here are the scenes that made me run out of Ranka-patience:

Famous scene #1: Wow, Ranka. You sure couldn't sing well when your heart was broken because your in-your-delusions-boyfriend Alto and Sheryl happened to be standing on the same roof but your song sure did save everyone even after Michel was gutted before your very eyes. As you sang Aimo for the nth time, all you could think about was your stupid heartbreak and how Alto didn't hear your cutesy pop songs, never mind that Michel's death happened only a few hours ago. 8D

Famous scene #2: They want you to sing a song of mourning and hope. What do you do? Run away! Why me?...she asks. Yes indeed, why her?

Famous scene #3: I'm going away to Vajra-land to help stop the stupid fighting. It doesn't matter that I'm making this up as I go. But surely I'll be fine as I have Kaifun Brera, my cyborg guy! And I'm sure Frontier will be okay even if it's hanging by a thread and my songs are the only decent weapons right now. But I know what I'm doing! Besides, I need a break...especially after my heartbreak...sniff.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh Haruhi, I can't breathe from laughing. XDD
List is still long...but question is...do you want me to carry on? XD
raile is offline  
Old 2008-12-11, 11:15   Link #872
incorrupts
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Greece
Age: 27
Send a message via MSN to incorrupts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raile View Post

Famous scene #1: Wow, Ranka. You sure couldn't sing well when your heart was broken because your in-your-delusions-boyfriend Alto and Sheryl happened to be standing on the same roof but your song sure did save everyone even after Michel was gutted before your very eyes. As you sang Aimo for the nth time, all you could think about was your stupid heartbreak and how Alto didn't hear your cutesy pop songs, never mind that Michel's death happened only a few hours ago. 8D
B-b-but she was ready to confess her feelings to ALTO-KUN!111!!

Srsly though, that was a major disadvantage to her chara, cause it seems her core of existence was there just for Alto-kun while people were getting shit from Varja around. She has a chance to stop this and she is too busy being moe about Alto hugging Sheryl. I mean, SRSLY? Gee, that was the moment when i said "man, fail. That girl had SO MUCH potential."

p.s do not get me started on the whole Michel had to pay the moe bill. :/
incorrupts is offline  
Old 2008-12-11, 11:20   Link #873
forgottendiary
Izanami
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Space-time
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to forgottendiary Send a message via MSN to forgottendiary Send a message via Yahoo to forgottendiary Send a message via Skype™ to forgottendiary
Quote:
Originally Posted by raile View Post
@justavisitor: What is up with you and your signature? Geez. It's not exactly going to affect anyone's opinions, IMHO.

Anyway, on the Ranka topic. As stated, she had plenty of potential. Too bad she failed with other people's expectations and standards. Mine included.

Here are the scenes that made me run out of Ranka-patience:

Famous scene #1: Wow, Ranka. You sure couldn't sing well when your heart was broken because your in-your-delusions-boyfriend Alto and Sheryl happened to be standing on the same roof but your song sure did save everyone even after Michel was gutted before your very eyes. As you sang Aimo for the nth time, all you could think about was your stupid heartbreak and how Alto didn't hear your cutesy pop songs, never mind that Michel's death happened only a few hours ago. 8D

Famous scene #2: They want you to sing a song of mourning and hope. What do you do? Run away! Why me?...she asks. Yes indeed, why her?

Famous scene #3: I'm going away to Vajra-land to help stop the stupid fighting. It doesn't matter that I'm making this up as I go. But surely I'll be fine as I have Kaifun Brera, my cyborg guy! And I'm sure Frontier will be okay even if it's hanging by a thread and my songs are the only decent weapons right now. But I know what I'm doing! Besides, I need a break...especially after my heartbreak...sniff.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh Haruhi, I can't breathe from laughing. XDD
List is still long...but question is...do you want me to carry on? XD
Very good food for my eyes.

@incorrupts

Actually, I absolutely think, judging from how aggressive Brera was, that he himself was ready to confess to Alto. I mean, think about it, it's no coincidence, he wanted to confess to Alto first that their hostility towards each other has blossomed into love. But then, Ranka got to it first and maybe that's why Brera was so angry but he still kept his confession to himself.

*is shot dead*
__________________
forgottendiary is offline  
Old 2008-12-11, 11:24   Link #874
raile
<3
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Lala rainbow land~
No doubt, Ranka will be a part Macross history, but it doesn't mean it will be in a favorable light. Believe it or not, I was rooting for Ranka in the earlier part of the series, I didn't think much on Sheryl, as she was showing major negative-Minmay vibes. The date episode even sorta paralleled the one in DYRL! XDD

But as the series went on, Ranka's lack of initiative was gnawing at me. I'll take episode 10 for this case, I mean she mopes about how she didn't know about Alto's kabuki past but what does she do about it...NOTHING! XD Never even bothered to dig up any dish about her crush. All she could do was ask about Alto, his interest and hobbies but nooo....every conversation has to be about Ranka. By the time she shuts up about herself and asks something personal, it's already late in the series! I mean, c'mon! O_O

Her ignorance is another thing as well. I mean, c'mon, how stupid can you get? Example for this is Ai-kun, if she had respected the Frontier laws, she'd have turned in Ai-kun and much disaster could have been avoided early on. But screw the rules, I'll have meself a cute pet even if I don't know what it is or why it isn't listed or if it is dangerous. 8D

Her whining and spoiled me-me-me brat attitude didn't help either (Her Ozma-abuse in ep. 4 screamed BRATZ!). Man, how self-centered can you get?
My favorite would have to be the parade. Okay, they give this all-out awesome parade for your honor and what do you do? Not show up for it! XDDDD Screw the fans, I'll go find my pet because clearly it's more important than all the little people who helped me become the next pop idol! XD LOL.

Her dependency. I shudder. They want to use your songs for a weapon? What is your decision? Look at Alto-kun and ask if I should go for it. Alto-kun said I should, so I shall! *Giggle* it will help me score brownie points with him as well, YAY! 8D
And if you can't depend on Alto-kun because he broke your heart by just happening to be on the same roof with Sheryl, then depend on Kaifun Brera Sterne, extraordinaire!
raile is offline  
Old 2008-12-11, 11:31   Link #875
incorrupts
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Greece
Age: 27
Send a message via MSN to incorrupts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raile View Post

But as the series went on, Ranka's lack of initiative was gnawing at me. I'll take episode 10 for this case, I mean she mopes about how she didn't know about Alto's kabuki past but what does she do about it...NOTHING!
Ugh, this is exactly the kind of type-chara i hate. :/
I mean, expect everything to go your way without lifting a finger and when WOAH, Sheryl suddenly kisses Alto?{ cause face it, that is what Ranka's wet pants was what about in the whole series} NOES, WHY? Ahem, maybe because she spends more time with him, trying to understand him as well, instead of being in the moe corner?
It actually annoys me how much shit this chara got, oh well.

@forgotten: You enlightened me. :P
incorrupts is offline  
Old 2008-12-11, 11:37   Link #876
forgottendiary
Izanami
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Space-time
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to forgottendiary Send a message via MSN to forgottendiary Send a message via Yahoo to forgottendiary Send a message via Skype™ to forgottendiary
Quote:
Originally Posted by incorrupts View Post
Ugh, this is exactly the kind of type-chara i hate. :/
I mean, expect everything to go your way without lifting a finger and when WOAH, Sheryl suddenly kisses Alto?{ cause face it, that is what Ranka's wet pants was what about in the whole series} NOES, WHY? Ahem, maybe because she spends more time with him, trying to understand him as well, instead of being in the moe corner?
It actually annoys me how much shit this chara got, oh well.

@forgotten: You enlightened me. :P
oh but Sheryl finds herself in a corner too...in tight and closed corners with Alto and a handphone for a v******r

Glad I did.
__________________
forgottendiary is offline  
Old 2008-12-11, 12:26   Link #877
justinstrife
Queen Sheryl's Protector
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: John Galt Railroad
Age: 35
Send a message via AIM to justinstrife Send a message via Skype™ to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgottendiary View Post
oh but Sheryl finds herself in a corner too...in tight and closed corners with Alto and a handphone for a v******r

Glad I did.
__________________
justinstrife is offline  
Old 2008-12-11, 12:37   Link #878
herbert
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Galactic Fairy Fanclub
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
*sigh* This is more work than what it's worth. What I see from you is more biased opinions and your unwillingness to understand my side of the picture, this really will never end but you can't claim she's a boring heroine because not EVERYBODY has the same opinions as you. As for that scene with her without underwear, well she was in a hospital and she went to give him a hug, she didn't go and try to kiss him, she was just happy to see him, and forgot that she was wearing nothing underneath.

Yes Alto is pissed that Brera is always shooting at him but he also sees him as a rival, this is my opinion, whether you think this or not is up to you to decide but it's fine if you disagree. The story has to end somewhere and even if she did sing and stop the Vajra at the point in time, the story would just repeat itself, there has to be a twist somewhere and Kawamori decided it was time. Besides, she tried to help but it backfired because she was hurt at the moment and was emotionally unstable, it's not like she completely ignored the situation, you're really being unfair here. Ranka wanted to end the pointless war by having both sides co-exist instead of one race being completely wiped out. Do you remember only the parts that you want to remember? Because Ai-kun wasn't the whole reason she went, I just explained the reason why she went.

I remember almost everything from the anime. See you have to understand the emotional state that she was in, the singing wasn't premeditated. They told her to sing when she had so much going on, I really doubt that other people would be able to sing right after everything she's gone through. Besides after seeing how the Vajra reacted when she tried singing "Aimo" I don't think she wanted to call back some more angry Vajra, I'm sorry Michel didn't get a song but I don't think he would have minded, unless he wanted more Vajra to kill.
You must take my words so literally? Good, then, I won't make more jokes with you, and state my opinions straightforward.

We hate Ranka because she is the heroine. We wouldn't mind her at all if she is only a secondary character. (Note: we hate Ranka has little to do with we love Sheryl, thus Ranka saves Sheryl or not doesn't matter to this case)

As pointed out by Tak, Ranka throws herself to Alto at any possible point, more so than Sheryl. This is what I tried to say, not without underwear specifically.

I was unfair? Yeah, this is why I asked you how you got to your conclusion that "Ranka wants to end the pointless war", mind I ask again.
__________________
herbert is offline  
Old 2008-12-11, 13:37   Link #879
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New York City
Well I can feel the love I've received already lol, well except nobody seems to be smiling >_> well as for the love triangle, I'll just wait for the movie to be released and hopefully it will get resolved there, everyone has made their points against my points and they're well noted but again, this is just my interpretations of how I saw everything.

As for Ranka wanting to end the pointless war, well that was shown in the episode where she was with Brera in space and she looked outside while simply saying that she wanted the fighting to stop. I forget which episode it was, probably either 22 or 23. That's how I came to that conclusion, and I guess there were a lot of immature Ranka "shippers" as you guys say, well then I'm new to these forums and that's not how I act. If you guys want to keep asking me about how I came to certain conclusions, then go right ahead and I will state my opinions on everything.
DeX-kun is offline  
Old 2008-12-11, 13:52   Link #880
BetoJR
D-d-don't look!!!
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Fortaleza-CE, Brazil
Age: 38
All well and good, but that's not really what you're doing, is it? I've seen some very nice posts earlier and you didn't really bother to respond to much... waste of time, I guess.
__________________
It's always a great time to immerse yourself in Deculture love!
All hail the Empress!!!

BetoJR is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:29.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.