AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Macross

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-01-15, 06:39   Link #1221
cheesie
Dame Cheesie
*Graphic Designer

I've mentioned this before, but... Ranka showed quiet and incredible potential as early as the first episode; she was just wonderful and had no problems drawing my support (no, not the pairing. :P) Although signs of her inevitable fall slowly emerged in her growing dependence on Alto, which strongly links with the weight of her role as savior and songstress for her people, more problems were added on her shoulders - unfortunate but I could see it necessary in serving as ordeals for her to overcome.

As the series draw near its finale, the writers hastily delivered her a closure, when she forced herself away from her useless crutch, Alto, to gain her needed independence after holding onto him for so long. But as far as her development is concerned, it wasn't enough, as the other issues around her, as little as they are, are important enough that needed to be addressed as well, but disappointingly, there was indeed only one resolution that answered to one aspect of this girl's character arc, and the rest goes ignored, much like the other little plot points that were never answered in the Frontier series. The series has been strongly emphasizing on the relationship between Ranka and her role as songstress/savior, but it's odd how there were no indications that the heavy weight of her closure had any bearing on her, as that closure was attained when she chose to reject her role and the responsibilities that followed. (In short, she packed up her bags, left Alto and got her independence, but didn't seem to realize that she abandoned Frontier when she left. Cue in the rage of the fandom.) Merely one example out of many.

By the time Episode 24-25 comes around, it appears that her character is destined to remain at a standstill. It was a tragic finish, especially she's in a position where she's constantly measured up against her female co-star, (who's doing so well in her own character arc too), and in the end, Ranka pretty much became a character who could've flourished, but sadly couldn't.

Here's hoping they'd rectify that in the upcoming movie. Carry on!

*runs back to chasing cars*

Edit: Zomg, I just realized the other Romance thread closed. Oh well.

Last edited by cheesie; 2009-01-15 at 06:50.
Old 2009-01-16, 02:48   Link #1222
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

And around the circle we go again xD
Old 2009-01-16, 03:41   Link #1223
magnuskn

I can always find some outrage in me when thinking about how Rankas character developed, so some Ranka fan with blinders on brings out the very best in me.
Old 2009-01-16, 04:57   Link #1224
BetoJR
D-d-don't look!!!
*Artist

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
And around the circle we go again xD
Well, you all can count me out, this time. Repetitive arguments, doppelgängers, tattle-tales and what have you... It got kinda tiresome, all of a sudden. Not to mention most without argument can't discuss their favorite characters without resort to bashing other's favorites.

Y'all have fun, now.

Old 2009-01-16, 05:31   Link #1225
magnuskn

Well, we need something to do until the movie, don´t we?

And as long as Ranka fans post structurally deficient portrayals of Ranka and Sheryl, I´m happy to point out the flaws in their arguments.
Old 2009-01-16, 06:27   Link #1226
BetoJR
D-d-don't look!!!
*Artist

That's exactly my point.
Most can't talk about Ranka without bashing Sheryl - and, sometimes, vice-versa. That's poor arguing, IMHO. And that's what I'm tired of...

Old 2009-01-16, 06:36   Link #1227
magnuskn

I can talk about Sheryl just fine without bashing Ranka, and vice-versa ( in the sense that I can discuss Ranka without praising Sheryl ), but to be honest, they *are* the two characters who are most comparable.

So it´s not any excessive need of mine to criticise / praise the other character, but it is simply that, as their storylines parallel each other quite a bit, comparisons almost mandatorily arise.
Old 2009-01-16, 06:53   Link #1228
Father Hentai

Don't count me in either... It's hard enough to argument against even without looking on both (see King Louis IVX)
Old 2009-01-16, 09:45   Link #1229
BetoJR
D-d-don't look!!!
*Artist

Magnus, don't worry. I wasn't talking about you, there...

Old 2009-01-16, 14:24   Link #1230
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
That's exactly my point.
Most can't talk about Ranka without bashing Sheryl - and, sometimes, vice-versa. That's poor arguing, IMHO. And that's what I'm tired of...
Finally something we both agree on xD Still my posts almost never include Sheryl in this thread.

Edit: Also, whenever another argument/discussion comes up, one could just say "use the search function for my response" xD
Old 2009-01-17, 17:46   Link #1231
justavisitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
Finally something we both agree on xD Still my posts almost never include Sheryl in this thread.

Edit: Also, whenever another argument/discussion comes up, one could just say "use the search function for my response" xD
And I am even nice enough to post my unique signature to instruct ppl how to search my previous Ranka post XD

So, since everyone almost agrees with each other that the topic is getting old, I will let my signature do my talking then
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
Old 2009-01-19, 19:59   Link #1232
ichigo_m
Melting - Just because I

Send a message via AIM to ichigo_m Send a message via Yahoo to ichigo_m Send a message via Skype™ to ichigo_m
I agree with Crisis that Ranka could have been a better character but it didn't happen.

Still though I really like Ranka I think she is like a lot of people; Alot of people have the 'crutch' that they need to survive, alot of people have someone they like, alot of people want to have their dreams come true, alot of people crash and burn when put under alot of pressure (episode 20). I could go on but I won't.

Then again alot of people are also like Sheryl, Having their dreams come true, Pretending to be strong, being independent.

But honestly, Alto is the main cause of the Sheryl vs Ranka hate. With out him sure there would be no story line,but also there would have been no fighting between the two characters int the anime itself causing more people to be mutual.

I personaly like Ranka more because of her personality relating more to me, and her overall moe helps. Sheryl I think acted artificial, and some times rather rude. Thus I didn't really like her, I honestly don't like people like her in real life. Although she dose have a decent sense of fashion let me tell you that. XD
Old 2009-01-19, 20:04   Link #1233
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichigo_m View Post
Then again alot of people are also like Sheryl, Having their dreams come true, Pretending to be strong, being independent.
We like Sheryl because she is independent and strong. She did show signs of significant weaknesses, but she overcame that. After she had been dragged through mud in near death, she still marched on and refused to give up. I think, that is where her quality truly shines.

- Tak

There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there is Master Card.

Greece, Italy, Portugal, Bulgaria, Spain and Germany walk into a bar. Germany pays.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Old 2009-01-19, 20:11   Link #1234
ichigo_m
Melting - Just because I

Send a message via AIM to ichigo_m Send a message via Yahoo to ichigo_m Send a message via Skype™ to ichigo_m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
We like Sheryl because she is independent and strong. She did show signs of significant weaknesses, but she overcame that. After she had been dragged through mud in near death, she still marched on and refused to give up. I think, that is where her quality truly shines.

- Tak
Agreed that is a great point in Sheryl's character. Still I think it's a relation toyour self sort of thing. 'Cause there is no way I could do that and stay strong after all that. More like Ranka.
Old 2009-01-19, 22:13   Link #1235
justinstrife
Queen Sheryl's Protector

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife Send a message via Skype™ to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichigo_m View Post
Agreed that is a great point in Sheryl's character. Still I think it's a relation toyour self sort of thing. 'Cause there is no way I could do that and stay strong after all that. More like Ranka.
I'm a strong person as a whole, and have faced my own share of life and death struggles as well as acting strong for the sake of others. I MUCH prefer strong women over weak ones. Which explains partially my attraction to Sheryl, and why Ranka never did much for me. She is like a kid sister that needs protecting. She's extremely selfish(far more so than Sheryl), and doesn't consider the thoughts or opinions of others. The world revolves around her as far as she's concerned, and she has much growing up to do. Unfortunately she still hasn't done any growing up through an entire series worth of airtime.
Old 2009-01-20, 01:31   Link #1236
Father Hentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
Unfortunately she still hasn't done any growing up through an entire series worth of airtime.
Funny that most in here see that so but in the series the closest person to know her tells the opposite.

Uhm. Tak there were two scene I remember that Sheryl gave up but had regained back to herself.

Last edited by Father Hentai; 2009-01-20 at 01:45.
Old 2009-01-20, 02:24   Link #1237
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Hentai View Post
Uhm. Tak there were two scene I remember that Sheryl gave up but had regained back to herself.
Well, you are obviously not reading. I mentioned them quite clearly in this statement:

"She did show signs of significant weaknesses, but she overcame that."

- Tak

There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there is Master Card.

Greece, Italy, Portugal, Bulgaria, Spain and Germany walk into a bar. Germany pays.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Old 2009-01-20, 11:48   Link #1238
Elazul

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
I'm a strong person as a whole, and have faced my own share of life and death struggles as well as acting strong for the sake of others. I MUCH prefer strong women over weak ones. Which explains partially my attraction to Sheryl, and why Ranka never did much for me. She is like a kid sister that needs protecting. She's extremely selfish(far more so than Sheryl), and doesn't consider the thoughts or opinions of others. The world revolves around her as far as she's concerned, and she has much growing up to do. Unfortunately she still hasn't done any growing up through an entire series worth of airtime.
I Agree. Your post explains perfectly why I am a huge fan of Sheryl and despise Ranka’s character with a passion.

I became annoyed when I watched Ranka saying that she wanted to die just because her crush was hugging another woman, or when she ran away, refusing to sing in the funeral to relieve the hearts of a lot of people that lost their dear ones because she couldn’t concentrate enough to stop the vajira, only thinking how "its hurts her" seeing her love interest with a girl, instead of fulfilling her duty as a songstress of hope.
I think most people at least faces some hardships in life, and to overcome some of them, they need to be strong if they want to keep on living. Watching Ranka acting like a child and constantly being put in the role of a damsel in distress makes me feel sick. She represents the type of person that I hate the most, those people that only can cry and ask for help when facing their own problems, being too egocentric to think that maybe the others next to them might have even more serious matters.
Old 2009-01-21, 16:55   Link #1239
Daril Gukku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elazul View Post
I Agree. Your post explains perfectly why I am a huge fan of Sheryl and despise Ranka’s character with a passion.

I became annoyed when I watched Ranka saying that she wanted to die just because her crush was hugging another woman, or when she ran away, refusing to sing in the funeral to relieve the hearts of a lot of people that lost their dear ones because she couldn’t concentrate enough to stop the vajira, only thinking how "its hurts her" seeing her love interest with a girl, instead of fulfilling her duty as a songstress of hope.
I think most people at least faces some hardships in life, and to overcome some of them, they need to be strong if they want to keep on living. Watching Ranka acting like a child and constantly being put in the role of a damsel in distress makes me feel sick. She represents the type of person that I hate the most, those people that only can cry and ask for help when facing their own problems, being too egocentric to think that maybe the others next to them might have even more serious matters.
I thought Ranka's character was a really, really nice dissection of the typical moe-blob character found in anime these days. You know, the cute girl who crushes on the hero and looks ten but is really sixteen? Well put her in a real life situation and see what happens--that's exactly what they did with Ranka, show the immaturity and childlike tendencies those characters often have.

Now don't get me wrong, I like Ranka and all, she makes my top five favorite Frontier characters, and I find her to be an interesting character, but she's not exactly the prime example of a strong female.
Old 2009-01-21, 18:00   Link #1240
Father Hentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daril Gukku View Post
I thought Ranka's character was a really, really nice dissection of the typical moe-blob character found in anime these days. You know, the cute girl who crushes on the hero and looks ten but is really sixteen? Well put her in a real life situation and see what happens--that's exactly what they did with Ranka, show the immaturity and childlike tendencies those characters often have.

Now don't get me wrong, I like Ranka and all, she makes my top five favorite Frontier characters, and I find her to be an interesting character, but she's not exactly the prime example of a strong female.
I do agree with what you have seen in Rankas character but I guess this is something that no one wants to hear here in the forums nor will you find a lot who would agree on that. I already tried to to argue with that but well... read the last few pages.