AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Macross

Notices

Old 2008-05-20, 17:08   Link #241
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO Send a message via Skype™ to Onizuka-GTO
I think one of the reason is that originally, Zentradi DON'T AGE.

Natural death for a genetically engineered Warrior Race is ABNORMAL.

Death in battle or Accident is far more acceptable and natural.

I'm not saying they do not have a life span, immortality isn't advisable or feasible economically and socially, but the length of it can be dammn near to immortality if the only thing you want it to worry about is the enemy.

If you have the power to build a race on the genetic level this makes sense, why allow a biological weapon to deteriorate, when it can clearly continue to be in prime condition until death?

I agree, that the cloning process that originally produced the zentradi/Meltrandi into full adult form keeps the genetic engineering within design specification.

But once they started to reproduce naturally and allow the children to grow from birth natural defects crop up, hence Quran Quran.

As for how Max got it?...

He was Macro-cloned into full Zentradi size, the only animated HUMAN we know who have done this.

perhaps this experience somehow allowed the zentradi technology to rewrite his genetics when he micloned?
Old 2008-05-20, 17:10   Link #242
Tak
Banned

Good point. It also turns out Max doesn't need corrective lenses when 'macronized'

So if we shrink Mr. Supreme Commander of all UN SPACY forces, we'd miclone one with a good eye

- Tak
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-20, 17:19   Link #243
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO View Post
I think one of the reason is that originally, Zentradi DON'T AGE.

Natural death for a genetically engineered Warrior Race is ABNORMAL.

Death in battle or Accident is far more acceptable and natural.

I'm not saying they do not have a life span, immortality isn't advisable or feasible economically and socially, but the length of it can be dammn near to immortality if the only thing you want it to worry about is the enemy.

If you have the power to build a race on the genetic level this makes sense, why allow a biological weapon to deteriorate, when it can clearly continue to be in prime condition until death?

I agree, that the cloning process that originally produced the zentradi/Meltrandi into full adult form keeps the genetic engineering within design specification.

But once they started to reproduce naturally and allow the children to grow from birth natural defects crop up, hence Quran Quran.

As for how Max got it?...

He was Macro-cloned into full Zentradi size, the only animated HUMAN we know who have done this.

perhaps this experience somehow allowed the zentradi technology to rewrite his genetics when he micloned?

Didn't that just happen in the meta-fictional DYRL?

Unless Max and Millia got a little kinky and in the process produced Emilia.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-21, 07:49   Link #244
Tabris

Yeah, it did.

But with humans and zents being so similar, I wouldn't be shocked if you could macronise normal humans, with them being so similar to Zents in biology.
Tabris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-21, 08:17   Link #245
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Hmmmm. I was watching Episode 7 in hi-def, and just noticed something: unlike the VF-1, the VF-25's head guns are behind the cockpit, above the aircraft spine, and pointing backwards.

I wonder if you could fire them while in fighter mode; it'd be a nifty way to discourage attacks from the 6 o'clock. Either that, or swing them forward to add to the frontal firepower. Hmmmm... there is the cockpit in front though....

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-21, 09:56   Link #246
squaresphere
Macross Lifer!

I think their part of the anti missile system. As of right now I can only remember them being used in Macross Zero by Focker for anti missile and once by Shin to attack the sub.

oh yeah i think Isamu used it to fire at Guld in fighter mode i think.
squaresphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-21, 16:48   Link #247
Blue Reverie
Rank-and-file poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
Hmmmm. I was watching Episode 7 in hi-def, and just noticed something: unlike the VF-1, the VF-25's head guns are behind the cockpit, above the aircraft spine, and pointing backwards.

I wonder if you could fire them while in fighter mode; it'd be a nifty way to discourage attacks from the 6 o'clock. Either that, or swing them forward to add to the frontal firepower. Hmmmm... there is the cockpit in front though....
Actually, several VFs after the original Valkyrie has it's head laser (if it has any) like that. And it is intended as a means of shooting down enemy missiles or deterring attackers on your six.

On some models, the laser barrel can swivel to fire upwards and a few more to fire forwards, but the overall nose design of most VFs make that impossible.

VFs with the headlaser positioned like that which I can remember are the VF-5000 StarMirage, VF-11 Thunderbolt, VF-17 Nightmare, VF-19 Excalibur, and VF-171 (and, of course, the VF-25 Messiah)
Blue Reverie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-21, 19:26   Link #248
StratoSpear
Titans Test Team Pilot

I just watched Macross Frontier Ep 7 again and I realised... Alto was able to move the VF-25 w/o the need to be in the cockpit... And I was thinking, is it possible to control the VF-25 from a distance by using nothing more than a cable?
Old 2008-05-21, 19:35   Link #249
CaptGloval
New Macross soon

Yup, some wireless hax could make that possible.
CaptGloval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-21, 19:51   Link #250
Blue Reverie
Rank-and-file poster

Yes, but I doubt you can get very percise movements out of it doing it that way.
Old 2008-05-21, 20:30   Link #251
Burner of Anime
Illegal Additives

Quote:
Originally Posted by StratoSpear View Post
I just watched Macross Frontier Ep 7 again and I realised... Alto was able to move the VF-25 w/o the need to be in the cockpit... And I was thinking, is it possible to control the VF-25 from a distance by using nothing more than a cable?
See ep1, the Ex-gear suits come built in with the control stick. That's why the arms appear abmormally long in the suits [think Starcraft marine armour].
Burner of Anime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-21, 23:44   Link #252
ReddyRedWolf

Been reading the Macross Sourcebook 3- the Galaxy and found out there's such a thing as a variable Glaug!

I'd love to see that.

Last edited by ReddyRedWolf; 2008-05-21 at 23:57.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-22, 00:27   Link #253
Blue Reverie
Rank-and-file poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Been reading the Macross Sourcebook 3- the Galaxy and found out there's such a thing as a variable Glaug!

I'd love to see that.
Here is some lineart from Kawamori Macross Design works.

Great art book, was worth every penny.
Old 2008-05-22, 01:17   Link #254
SymphonicRain

VF Glaug? lol, sweet.

It would seem though the VF Glaug is far smaller than the first generation Zentraedi's. Especially if you compare the size that the original Glaug's chassis is large enough to fit a full size Zentraedi. This one's however is meant for miclones.

I loved the Glaug ever since when I was a kid. The moment I played Mechwarrior 2 upon its first released, I got mixed up and confused whether its a Macross game in that we are all playing as Zentraedis because the Marauder mech happends to be the same design as the Glaug.

Only a decade later I discovered that FASA stole lots of the mech designs from Macross.

For those who wants a comparison:-

Mechwarrior Marauder
http://www.mechforce.de/1/sonstiges/...eb_present.jpg

Macross Glaug
http://www.ehobbyland.com/Macross/MAC-PodGlaug.jpg

I suspect other mechwarrior mech designs are heavily inspired/copied from the Destroids.
SymphonicRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-22, 07:43   Link #255
StratoSpear
Titans Test Team Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymphonicRain View Post
VF Glaug? lol, sweet.

It would seem though the VF Glaug is far smaller than the first generation Zentraedi's. Especially if you compare the size that the original Glaug's chassis is large enough to fit a full size Zentraedi. This one's however is meant for miclones.

I loved the Glaug ever since when I was a kid. The moment I played Mechwarrior 2 upon its first released, I got mixed up and confused whether its a Macross game in that we are all playing as Zentraedis because the Marauder mech happends to be the same design as the Glaug.

Only a decade later I discovered that FASA stole lots of the mech designs from Macross.

For those who wants a comparison:-

Mechwarrior Marauder
http://www.mechforce.de/1/sonstiges/...eb_present.jpg

Macross Glaug
http://www.ehobbyland.com/Macross/MAC-PodGlaug.jpg

I suspect other mechwarrior mech designs are heavily inspired/copied from the Destroids.
Wow... Twins! We should sue somebody...
Old 2008-05-22, 08:15   Link #256
glyph

Quote:
Harmony Gold and Playmates already did, as a result of the legal hairball that was Macross merchandising rights.

FASA actually leased a third party license from Studio Nue for use of the designs in their game. Actually, most (all?) the units in the initial game were designs from one anime or another. They lost, so all those units faded into 'unseen' obscurity or got retconned into entirely new designs.

Incidently, the japanese edition of Battletech used an entirely different set of redesigned art for the units by Studio Nue.

http://www.gearsonline.net/btech/
glyph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-22, 08:15   Link #257
Dark Wing

Quote:
Nah!, Surly it's just a coincidences right?...right...
Old 2008-05-22, 08:27   Link #258
SymphonicRain

Quote:
Originally Posted by glyph
Incidently, the japanese edition of Battletech used an entirely different set of redesigned art for the units by Studio Nue.

http://www.gearsonline.net/btech/
Mmm. Those designs reminds me of an old mech pretty much forgotten Japanese inspired mech simulation game:

Heavy Gear series

http://youtube.com/watch?v=eGCUbcjBuX0

sigh. Heavy Gear 2 was so good. Too bad such games will never have a place in this present world where everything's consolized.

Anyway, the knowledge that FASA used to lease Macross mecha designs is interesting as I never came to know about it.

Last edited by SymphonicRain; 2008-05-22 at 21:13.
SymphonicRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-22, 14:45   Link #259
Tak
Banned

Incidentally, HG2 was inspired by Square's Front Mission series, and it first started out as a pen n' paper strategy.

Heavy Gear 2 was a good game indeed.

I found out about Studio Nue's version of Battle Tech awhile ago, and I was surprised to see good efforts in designing the individual 'Mechs. After all, Btech isn't all that popular in Japan.

But seriously, make an effort to do your own work. FASA's past endeavor where pretty plagiaristic.

- Tak
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-22, 15:43   Link #260
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO Send a message via Skype™ to Onizuka-GTO
i loved HG2

I miss playing it ever since i lost the CD of the game and even if i tried to download it, it won't run on Windows Vista anyway.

stupid vista.