AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Macross

Closed Thread

Old 2008-05-30, 08:06   Link #321
grss1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Episode 9 confirmed a couple things:

Mikhail's sniper rifle appears to be a rail gun.

The macro/micro process is only a few seconds!

- Tak
Speaking of Sniper Rifles:

Spoiler:

Old 2008-05-30, 08:53   Link #322
SymphonicRain

Seeing the gun is slug based as it uses magazine instead of power reactor connected to your typical MS, I see why not.

The only thing it requires to work would be a compatible user interface in the cockpit for the pilot to operate.
Old 2008-05-30, 10:26   Link #323
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Hmmmm. On the other hand Mikhail's gunpod had variable strength settings, which you can't get with a projectile weapon... unless it's a railgun.

Well we know that Valk gunpods do derive their power from the Valk's reactors in some way, so I don't see how it couldn't be applied to a railgun sniper rifle. In fact with railguns we'd get the whole variable power output since the railgun fires the slug faster depending on how much power is poured into it.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2008-05-30, 11:08   Link #324
squaresphere
Macross Lifer!

I don't know how accurate the source is but the Macross Mecha Manual states the maker of the VF-25 as the Frontier based L.A.I.

http://www.new-un-spacy.com/macrossf/vf-25f.htm
Old 2008-05-30, 11:19   Link #325
grss1982

BTW, I think the VF-27 also has a knife.

[Note: Click for larger pics]

Old 2008-05-30, 17:44   Link #326
encia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
^ It can also enlarge food!

Can anyone say... organic?

- Tak
Make sure they are the expensive “free range type”...
Old 2008-05-30, 17:59   Link #327
Tabris
Alice or Athena...Oooh.

Giant eggs anybody?

Also, Macross needs more strange animals like Chickenpigs.

Gate of Neo-Venezia.
Someone buy me a Good Smile Alicia Florence :3
Old 2008-05-30, 18:21   Link #328
dahak
Utu Class Planetoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
Hmmmm. On the other hand Mikhail's gunpod had variable strength settings, which you can't get with a projectile weapon... unless it's a railgun.
Other than a Railgun you could get variable strength settings with liquid propellant [by varying the amount or mix injected into the breech] or a coilgun. Or by using variable numbers of seperate solid propellant charges al la world war 2 battleships. Or partialy loading a Pirquet gun [like the V-3 Hochdruckpumpe] would dial down muzzle velocity.

You could also do it with a steam or airgun but I seriously doubt thier practicality for this purpose.
Old 2008-05-30, 21:14   Link #329
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahak View Post
Other than a Railgun you could get variable strength settings with liquid propellant [by varying the amount or mix injected into the breech] or a coilgun. Or by using variable numbers of seperate solid propellant charges al la world war 2 battleships. Or partialy loading a Pirquet gun [like the V-3 Hochdruckpumpe] would dial down muzzle velocity.

You could also do it with a steam or airgun but I seriously doubt thier practicality for this purpose.
I'd forgotten totally about coilguns, which is kinda sad, seeing as how I'm a Halo fan Yeah, that could work... my idea of railguns is pretty much because we know that the UN Spacy has railgun tech on their capships and the Konig Monster, so it's not impossible that in 50 years they've managed to shrink it to Valk size. Liquid propellant could work but seems a bit too much trouble; the gun's intended to operate on the fly with quick adjustment between hi-power and low-power; while the variable numbers of solid propellant charges could work, it also seems too much trouble.

Coilgun or railgun it is. Both are equally possible, though I'd lean to the railgun since we know that the Macross verse has had railgun tech for at least 50 years.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2008-05-30, 22:45   Link #330
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymphonicRain View Post
Seeing the gun is slug based as it uses magazine instead of power reactor connected to your typical MS, I see why not.

The only thing it requires to work would be a compatible user interface in the cockpit for the pilot to operate.
Valkyrie hand-held weapons have always been self-contained units, so they should be usable for anything with the proper manipulators and targeting software.
Old 2008-05-30, 23:09   Link #331
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

In real life this is pretty much the case; generally all US airfract can use any air-launched weapons, so long as it fits on the launcher rail or hardpoint, and there's the software for it.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2008-05-31, 09:02   Link #332
ReddyRedWolf

Can someone please tell me how and why are these two using ordinace for lighting smokes?
Old 2008-05-31, 13:56   Link #333
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭

Why not?

Considering that Valkyrie will soon enter battle, using just one shell to light a cig won't decide if the battle will be won or lost

- Tak
Old 2008-05-31, 14:11   Link #334
glyph

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post

Can someone please tell me how and why are these two using ordinace for lighting smokes?
Muzzle flash?

I actually felt bad for Quamzin in that scene, sold down the river by his own people for smokes.
Too bad the lifestyle didn't work out for him.
Old 2008-05-31, 20:45   Link #335
Haesslich
Go to DMC! Go to DMC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glyph View Post
Muzzle flash?

I actually felt bad for Quamzin in that scene, sold down the river by his own people for smokes.
Too bad the lifestyle didn't work out for him.
Well, given how Quamzin's other people ended up, I think this guy got a pretty good deal. It was either death-by-Macross Cannon, Death by Backstabbing, or Death by Suicide Bomber for the rest of them. Selling him out for smokes and the possibility of a happy life seems like a pretty good deal to me, as long as he didn't go along with the Megaroad-01 expedition.
Old 2008-06-01, 11:40   Link #336
aldw

How do the Zentraedi liquid-plasma weapons compare in overall effectiveness with slug-throwers like those equipped on the VF units?
Old 2008-06-01, 19:02   Link #337
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

We had a discussion about this a few pages back; generally to sum it up since it's 7.57 am here and I slept at 1 am (yay night shift closing and fucklong drive home), liquid-cooled plasma weapons have higher power per shot as compared to valk gunpod shells. Gunpods however have a higher rate of fire, beating out Quead beam gatlings, and due to the weird physics of armor penetration, have better AP properties than zent beam weapons. Note Mikhail's railgun sniper rifle and how effective it is, or how Alto & co's gunpods have a higher rate of fire compared to the Quead Rea beam gatlings (remember, even if the amount of glowy shots put out is the same, that means that the gunpods will be firing more shells than the beam gatlings, because the usual mix of tracer to ammo is 1:4. Assuming Kawamori isn't using the old US Navy mix of 1:9).

On the other hand, so long as your reactor holds and you practice trigger control, you're not likely to run outta ammo for a while with beam guns.

I believe in miracles.

Last edited by Wild Goose; 2008-06-01 at 19:16.
Old 2008-06-01, 21:37   Link #338
Prongs
Soul linked

what about Zentrandi Wepons on Ep 4. Its look more superior than Queadluun-Raus Back Cannon. and why it compatible with Valkyrie

Old 2008-06-01, 21:39   Link #339
Haesslich
Go to DMC! Go to DMC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongs View Post
what about Zentrandi Wepons on Ep 4. Its look more superior than Queadluun-Raus Back Cannon. and why it compatible with Valkyrie
As far as I can tell, that was a liquid-plasma cannon, and the Quealdunn-Rau was using Zentradi weapons as well.
Old 2008-06-01, 22:44   Link #340
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongs View Post
It is not 'compatible' per se, but it does have a trigger-mechanism. This meant, all the Valkyrie had to do was to pick up the weapon, and squeeze the trigger. The Valkyrie did not have to hard-wire the weapon or anything, it was an independent weapon system.

- Tak
Closed Thread