AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Macross

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-10-18, 12:45   Link #1101
Daigo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
The discussion surrounding Earth's pathetically weak magnetic field affecting a conductive slug of tungsten is utterly moot. According to the real world Project Thor, the tungsten projectiles move at a rate of 9 kilometers per second. Earth's weak mag field will not profoundly affect the movement of such an object. It's not gonna happen.

Quote:
Numbers of smaller warcraft could overwhelm the defense systems of a larger vessel depending on how much heat the defense systems generate verses how much heat the vessel can stand in combat. While the smaller warchraft can't take much heat or damage verse the larger craft, if their onboard weapon system is effective enough to use against the larger vessel, they will be a threat. This in combination with the smaller warcraft's mother ship, and escort vessels, would make for a dire situation against a smaller number of large warships depending on the level of technology, number of weapons, types of weapons, and ability to sustain damage and put out damage in multiple arcs of fire.
Like Anh_Minh said, just use missiles. At least they are expendable.

Space fighters don't make any sense. Basically what you are saying is analogous to saying that we should send large swarms of speed boats against a battleship or similar warship. It's not analogous to aircraft vs. naval warships, because the space fighters don't do anything that the big ships can't already do. That's the bottom line. But actually the situation is worse in space. There's no where to hide (no horizon), the big ships have much stronger pinpoint accurate lasers, and space is a very sensor friendly environment. So actually, you have a better chance of defeating a battleship with a speedboat, than you do defeating a giant spaceship with a spacefighter.

Quote:
The smaller craft may be cheaper to produce than the larger warships as well, thus a possible cost saving measure, both in money and materials.
But if they all die, then what's the point? A hundred attack speed boats may be cheaper than a battleship, but if they all die, then there's no point.
Daigo is offline  
Old 2008-10-18, 14:49   Link #1102
Ithekro
Space Battleship
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 36
I can tell I'm not winning this debate. I can also tell we aren't convincing each other on all counts.

But this may be because some are looking at things in a scientific fashion, orthers are looking at things in a military tactics fashion, some are looking at it in a political/econimic viewpoint. I'm looking at from a historians point of view because that is what I'm best at.

The historian in me says to not be so sure about how you think things will be based entirely on science, because engineers, generals, and politicians decide how things will be designed for war. Modifications and successive designs are based on combat experiance until it returns to the engineers, generals, and politicians again.

The historian in me also says not to discount the small vessel out of hand. While they may not own space, they will have their uses, and situationally may be able to destroy the larger warships, depending on what weapons are mounted on the smaller craft. Even a battleship can be sunk by torpedo boats because of what the small craft is armed with...a torpedo. Aircraft had the same weaponry and also sank battleships. The missile has more or less replaced the torpedo in terms of aircraft carried anti-ship weapon. Similar weapons are carried as anti-ship weapons on most warships today.

There may be no horizon in open space, but there may be a limit to effective sensor ranges. If there is such a limit, than effectively a horizon has appeared for use. There may also be an effective weapons range limit for vessels in motion, thus also creating a virtual horizon.

As for the "if they all die", if they manage to take out the enemy warship in the process, than there is a point. Assume the huge warship has a crew of 2,000. It was just killed by 100 smaller vessels with maybe a crew of two each. You loose the majority of the smaller vessels but destroy the larger vessel. They have lost 2,000 men, you've lost less than 200.

It all depends on the weaponry involved, and just how strong or fragile the larger spacecraft actually is.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is offline  
Old 2008-10-18, 15:06   Link #1103
ReddyRedWolf
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
You seem to be in the impression that a ship or fighter will allow themselves to be shot easily.

Ever heard of ECM? Anti-FCS? Stealth?

Macross has shown it is a always a catch-up game between detection systems and anti-detection systems.
ReddyRedWolf is online now  
Old 2008-10-18, 17:16   Link #1104
Daigo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Quote:
The historian in me says to not be so sure about how you think things will be based entirely on science
History means nothing when it comes to combat tactics and technology. Again, a quote from the atomic rocket website,

"Imagine a speculative fiction writer back in the Victorian era, such as Jules Verne. Say they wanted to write a novel about the far future, when heavier than air flight had been invented, and the age of Aerial Combat had arrived.

They might take the dramatic and comfortable metaphor of sea-going frigates and battleships and transporting it intact into the aerial environment. Held aloft by dozens of helicopter blades, the battleships of the air would ponderously maneuver, trying to "cross the T" with the enemy aerial dreadnoughts.

See how silly it sounds? Well, combat spacecraft behaving like fighter aircraft is just as silly. In both cases a metaphor is being forced into a situation where it does not work. "

Quote:
There may be no horizon in open space, but there may be a limit to effective sensor ranges. If there is such a limit, than effectively a horizon has appeared for use. There may also be an effective weapons range limit for vessels in motion, thus also creating a virtual horizon.
No, there is no virtual horizon, because weapon range and horizon are two different things. In any case, large ships have weapons that possess much GREATER range than any smaller ship could ever hope to muster. They would all be blown to pieces before they could even get remotely close. Bigger ships of course have much better sensors as well as other equipment.

And no, there ain't no stealth in space. See, http://www.projectrho.com/rocket/roc...html#nostealth

Quote:
As for the "if they all die", if they manage to take out the enemy warship in the process, than there is a point.
They won't. That's the point. They won't take it out. I already gave you the analogy. Now visualize it. Hundreds of speedboats being launched against a battleship. Who do you think is going to win?
Daigo is offline  
Old 2008-10-18, 18:42   Link #1105
Ithekro
Space Battleship
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 36
My analogy is the torpedo boat rather than a speedboat. Because a swarm of torpedo boats can and have destroyed battleships in war. The principle applies to aircraft on that level as well. It is a matter of the weapons use and how they can be delivered verses how strong the hull of the warship is verses said weapon. A "space fighter" might be 60+ meters long and operate nothing like what we would call a fighter today, but if it can deliver or fire a weapon capable of damaging a larger warship, then it will likely have a place in the future.

As for the larger vessel having weapons of greater range...sure they will. The problem is hitting the target at great range and hitting enough of them before they can close to deliver their own attacks.

A "space fighter" or however it should be described is a force projection tool that keeps its mother ship out of an enemies sensor or weapons ranges. This can be either because the operating nation want to be able to attack from multiple angles, divert the attention of the enemy to a different location in space, or to soften up the target before closing with the main force....that is if the "fighters" can't do enough damage to defeat the enemy (defeat could mean destruction, or could mean they suffered enough hull breeches that they cannot continue and thus must surrender. It could mean the energy expended on the fighters causes way too much heat and thus they must deploy their heat sinks and thus basically surrender the action if the main force or carrier comes in to continue to action.)

The other potental use of a "fighter" would be to extend the range of the fleet's sensors and/or weapons.

While my thoughs are for manned fighters, nothing suggest that they need to be manned, and thus a mass of armed drone fighters or torpedo craft if you will. And before you say, "then just use a missile", it depends again on what the weapon system is. If the "figher" is carrying one or multiple warheads, then maybe yes, maybe no on the fighter concept unless you are doing range extension or search and destroy around planetary bodies, rocks, comets, or other objects in space. If they are carrying a reusable weapon...a beam weapon, or something that is multi use, then why not a fighter that can be reused (assuming it isn't shot out of space)?

That's what I'm saying on that matter.

However what size of ships and fleet are you imagining here. I'm thinking small numbers of vessels in an action due to the size of space to cover and the economic values of building and manning warships across the solar system. I'm also only thinking in terms of humans fighting humans. Once you get outside the solar system or bring in aliens into the picture you add a variable that can not be counted on, since then we are talking sciences that quite possibly haven't even been thought up yet.


Edit:
As for the article: The basic concussion would be that there will be no war in space...ever, because you cannot possibly get an advantage on anyone else due to the amount of heat you give off. There would be no point. One could simply fire from the surface of a planet and destroy any intruders before they even came close to the planet. At least within human technologies and speeds.

Also humans don't have the patience for 6 month closing times when a military posting rotation is typically a year. They would also need to solve the zero-G problem in the spacecraft or else all effective soldiers will be extremely frail once they get planetside agian (thus the need for one year rotations, or serious health in space improvement technologies/programs)
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!

Last edited by Ithekro; 2008-10-18 at 19:37.
Ithekro is offline  
Old 2008-10-18, 19:16   Link #1106
Tri-ring
The Censor Bat
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Land of the rising sun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
That doesn't answer my question at all.
Well I can't give a difinitve answer because I don't know the weight of the slug.
If the static weight in 1G is around 10~100Kg then 0.22N will have significant effect but anything with more mass will have less effect but then the impact radius will become too large to be used tactically defeating the cause in the first place.
Remember, we are talking about using orbital railguns for suppresive firing in a close range combat zone and not a stategic weapon.
Impact crator of a 500Kg mass will be around 1Km and the blast radius will be about three to five times larger which will not do much good in a close range combat zone.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Nowhere in that does it say conductive materials are charged. It says they contain movable electric charges. That's not the same thing at all. Just because a metal wire's full of free electrons doesn't mean it doesn't have the corresponding number of protons.
Moving a conductive material in a electro-magnetic field itself will charge the material. That is how electro magnets works and since the slug itsef is moving within a electromagnetic field it will be charged thus a torque force will be applied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
If the enemy sees how much heat you're using on propulsion and how much you accelerate, they'll have an idea of your mass. Passing as a bigger ship may prove difficult. Same thing for the decoys. If you want to pass for a big ship, you practically have to be a big ship. I guess that, at a distance, one non-accelerating hot spot may look like another. But that's of dubious use.
Detection of mass through caculation of thust and acceleration only works in accelerating motion. In space, if the object is heading at constant speed towards you then proplsion is not needed.
A decoy can be a balloon with small amount of gas and it will still serve it's purpose. When a balloon is shot down it will also act as chaff maximizing it's purpose.
Automated real time enemy detection through passive light detection in full 360 degree in motion is useless since you'll need to constantly compare it with star charts, astroids and other space anomalies to find the real bogies.

Radar in a space combat zone will also be severly limited with chaff and debris floating around.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Missiles are cheaper and faster than small crafts. No need for life support, or for enough fuel to come back.
Any small size combat vehicle will probably be drones considering the G force initiated as evasive action, but missle can get only one shot while drones will have several shots.
Tri-ring is offline  
Old 2008-10-18, 19:24   Link #1107
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Doing Anzu's paperwork.
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigo View Post
No, there is no virtual horizon, because weapon range and horizon are two different things. In any case, large ships have weapons that possess much GREATER range than any smaller ship could ever hope to muster. They would all be blown to pieces before they could even get remotely close. Bigger ships of course have much better sensors as well as other equipment.

And no, there ain't no stealth in space. See, http://www.projectrho.com/rocket/roc...html#nostealth
Like ReddyRedWolf said, it's a battle between ECM and ECCM then. Active stealth systems and jamming are cannonically present in Macross, so it's then a battle between the sensors and FCS of the big ship and the jamming systems of the small craft.

The assumption that seems to be made here is that the avionics systems and targeting computers of the heavy ship guarantee a 100% hit rate - nobody seems to be taking into account EW.

Basically, if there's no stealth in space, then militaries will go for the full on jamming option. The effectiveness of that is, of course, debatable EW ships escorting a strike package, putting out enough ECM to hopefully blind the enemy sensors, or creating ghost radar images is an option that may be emplyed; the USAF and USN have already been doing this with the EA-6B Prowler and EF-111A Raven (and the new EA-18G Growler that's replacing both).

Quote:
They won't. That's the point. They won't take it out. I already gave you the analogy. Now visualize it. Hundreds of speedboats being launched against a battleship. Who do you think is going to win?
Assuming you're using the WW2 versions... the PT boats have a chance, provided they can get close and outmanuver the secondary battery to launch their missiles. They'd still have to deal with the rest of the escorts, however, since BBs typically do not operate independently. If the speedboats are launching from where they can ambush the BB - like say, the Malacca Straits, their chances go up. Admittedly that's if they can avoid the secondary batteries, but if the tin can sailors off Samar could dodge those guns for a while in their larger DDs and DEs, a PT boat should be a harder target, being smaller and more manuverable.

Also, to depart somewhat from this current point at hand, there's something which I think everyone has overlooked with regards to orbital weapons in Macross: Earth does have an orbital defense grid, made up of beam cannon sattelites. The UN Spacy also possesses SAMs that can reach into space; when he steals the YF-19, SAMs are launched after Isamu, and they almost hit him until the fold booster hits and he folds off. Dialouge between him and Yang and from what's shown strongly suggests that if he didn't do anything, Isamu would have been hit by an Itano Circus. Certainly the footage shows him cutting it very close...

Then, when Isamu arrives at Earth, the defense grid locks him up. Despite a massive beam barrage, he still has enough time to destroy a few of the sattelites, creating a hole that allows him through, as well as debris to mask his presence; once he enters re-entry he goes into passive mode, and then the sattelites end up shooting at all the pieces of debris larger than he is. It's a pretty chancy tactic - as Yang puts it, it's something that needs luck, not skill - but he manages to make his way down. Once he arrives in atmosphere, the defense sats stop shooting at him.

Then Guld shows up, having used more or less the same method as him, and then one wonders how the heck both of them managed to pull it off...I suppose the active stealth systems on the YF-19 and YF-21 couldn't have hurt.
__________________
~Speaking my mind, even when it costs me~
One must forgive one's enemies, but not before they are hanged.Heinrich Heine.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline  
Old 2008-10-18, 20:13   Link #1108
Ithekro
Space Battleship
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 36
(Macross again)

After one brings alien technology into the equation, things change. One, these aliens have been fighting in space for a very, very long time. If that is the case, they would have needed to find a way to deal with the tactical problems our early 21st century sciences say are constants. Heat detection being for a formost on the list of things to mask or exagerate to a leave that makes detection either impossible, or makes it so that detection is constant, but not focused. Either making it impossible for one to target you at great ranges accurately, or making it so you can't be spotted until you are much closer to your target (fold drives come to mind).

Fold drives: "They look there is a heat signiature on the scanner. We got incoming at 8 AUs distant" *fold*, "on wait...they're here now."

Movement at faster than light (via some means) negates heat sensors at range because the ability to detect it can only travel at the speed of light (tops). (note this one is not within know physics ability) - even near light speed greatly reduces ones reaction time for passive sensors.

Active interference. Cloud local space with so much background radiation that sensors can't detect anything.

If what we are talking about is all visual in picking up a point of light at X distance, bend the light. Present science is working on a "cloaking material" that basically bends light around an object. It is presently static only (non-moving), but it is a start.

See: Metamaterial: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metamaterial

If it is infrared? How does one fool that? Either more heat somewhere else (distanction), or find a means of negating your enemes mean of detecting you (disable their sensor devices). Actually, if infrared is the means of detecting heat, all one needs to do is bend that part of the specrum around the ship. If you can't see the infrared from the target, you can't see the target...right?

Since Heat seem to be the bacis problem the scientist keep pointing out, that is also going to be the prime subject of countermessures the military is going to give the scientist to solve. As with all things, there must be a way. If not masking the heat, masking the sensors so they can't locate the heat, or at least can't pinpoint the heat source.

Basically, how does one detect heat at those great distances. What instruments are being used? What specrum is this information received?
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!

Last edited by Ithekro; 2008-10-18 at 21:47.
Ithekro is offline  
Old 2008-10-18, 20:35   Link #1109
ReddyRedWolf
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
*Hit head on desk*

ECM as it means Electronic Countermeasures can also mean infrared detection countermeasures are taken.
ReddyRedWolf is online now  
Old 2008-10-18, 21:27   Link #1110
squaresphere
Macross Lifer!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
speaking of folding, with all the fold tech coming from the vajra how long will it take for humantradi to have precision folding that allows them to exit on to planets, under fleets or maybe even have a Valkyrie fold inside a ship.

not to mention fold launched projectiles, ie have them fold out at specific locations. A well placed fold bomb could easy wipe out a fleet.
squaresphere is offline  
Old 2008-10-18, 21:45   Link #1111
ReddyRedWolf
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by squaresphere View Post
speaking of folding, with all the fold tech coming from the vajra how long will it take for humantradi to have precision folding that allows them to exit on to planets, under fleets or maybe even have a Valkyrie fold inside a ship.

not to mention fold launched projectiles, ie have them fold out at specific locations. A well placed fold bomb could easy wipe out a fleet.
Really long range like system to system it won't work because you need excellent predictive computational advantages for your bomb.

Who is to say a fleet would stay in the same place staticly. They can detect defold events.

Though as Basara has shown it is possible to fold into enemy lines with a strike package in short ranges.

That is how he rocked Chlore.
ReddyRedWolf is online now  
Old 2008-10-18, 21:57   Link #1112
Ithekro
Space Battleship
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 36
That was the best Macross 7 episode I've seen
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is offline  
Old 2008-10-19, 00:03   Link #1113
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Doing Anzu's paperwork.
Age: 28
I saw it, and was both parts "WTF this is silly" and "lol this is fun".

While we can analyse and discuss Macross to our hearts content, I think it's worth remembering that this is a series which doesn't take itself as seriously as we do. Where else can you find a rocker turning an Amazon Brigade fleet into giddy fangirls?

...lol I just realised Bobby calls Basara "Basara-sama" like the Chlore Fleet fangirls
__________________
~Speaking my mind, even when it costs me~
One must forgive one's enemies, but not before they are hanged.Heinrich Heine.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline  
Old 2008-10-19, 03:09   Link #1114
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-ring View Post
Well I can't give a difinitve answer because I don't know the weight of the slug.
If the static weight in 1G is around 10~100Kg then 0.22N will have significant effect but anything with more mass will have less effect but then the impact radius will become too large to be used tactically defeating the cause in the first place.
Remember, we are talking about using orbital railguns for suppresive firing in a close range combat zone and not a stategic weapon.
Impact crator of a 500Kg mass will be around 1Km and the blast radius will be about three to five times larger which will not do much good in a close range combat zone.
I meant my question about the variation of the magnetic field.



Quote:
Moving a conductive material in a electro-magnetic field itself will charge the material. That is how electro magnets works and since the slug itsef is moving within a electromagnetic field it will be charged thus a torque force will be applied.
There needs to be an electric current passing through. Thus the name, electromagnet.

Quote:
Detection of mass through caculation of thust and acceleration only works in accelerating motion. In space, if the object is heading at constant speed towards you then proplsion is not needed.
Constant speed in a straight line. There's also the question of where and when you launched them.

Quote:
A decoy can be a balloon with small amount of gas and it will still serve it's purpose. When a balloon is shot down it will also act as chaff maximizing it's purpose.
Automated real time enemy detection through passive light detection in full 360 degree in motion is useless since you'll need to constantly compare it with star charts, astroids and other space anomalies to find the real bogies.
Asteroids aren't hot like spaceships. So your balloon would need some kind of heater. It would also need to be made of the right material, or its emission spectrum will give it away.
Anh_Minh is offline  
Old 2008-10-19, 03:16   Link #1115
Urei
Star Designer
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Europe
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Really long range like system to system it won't work because you need excellent predictive computational advantages for your bomb.

Who is to say a fleet would stay in the same place staticly. They can detect defold events.

Though as Basara has shown it is possible to fold into enemy lines with a strike package in short ranges.

That is how he rocked Chlore.
It would be an amazing technology leap if the Fighters utilized Fold Generators for 'Zero Shift like' movement on the battlefield. Then again, with the amount of technology, mechanisms and systems placed in the latest designs like VF-25 or 27 it would most probably still had to be attached to the surface of the fighter.

All in all, if I were the designer I would stress out the gravity control systems in the fighter to maximize the frames potential.
__________________

AD 2314 Mobile Suit Gundam 00
~A wakening of the Trailblazer~

Urei is offline  
Old 2008-10-19, 03:28   Link #1116
Ithekro
Space Battleship
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 36
What is the basic heat sensor that seems to be fool proof that you all keep mentinoing? What type of device is it and what type of spectrum or radition is it using to detect heat signiatures at these great distances? What are we looking at here?
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is offline  
Old 2008-10-19, 03:38   Link #1117
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
A telescope.
Anh_Minh is offline  
Old 2008-10-19, 05:30   Link #1118
Tri-ring
The Censor Bat
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Land of the rising sun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I meant my question about the variation of the magnetic field.
I'm getting tired of pointing facts when people don't even try to understand fundamental basis nor do their own research of their own.
Read here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_field_density




Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
There needs to be an electric current passing through. Thus the name, electromagnet.
Also read these;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_field

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electro..._feedback_loop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Constant speed in a straight line. There's also the question of where and when you launched them.

Asteroids aren't hot like spaceships. So your balloon would need some kind of heater. It would also need to be made of the right material, or its emission spectrum will give it away.
Mass at constant speed in a straight line does not emit energy therefore it is difficult to detect.
Asteroids do not emit energy but it does reflect. Balloon with a radioactive isotope emiting heat can easily trick sensors.
To tell you the truth I can come up with various trick.
Tri-ring is offline  
Old 2008-10-19, 07:50   Link #1119
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-ring View Post
I'm getting tired of pointing facts when people don't even try to understand fundamental basis nor do their own research of their own.
Read here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_field_density
Let's recap. Your position, if I understood it correctly, was that Earth's magnetic field changed all the time, in unpredictable ways, thus making the trajectory of a charged object unpredictable due to Lorentz' force.

That phenomenon - the change in magnetic fields - isn't described in those wikipedia pages. What's shown is that the magnetic field changes slowly over time, and that it's not of the same intensity over every point of the globe. Neither of which would be much hindrance to aiming a projectile, even charged.

It's not a matter of not doing the research. I just don't find what you were talking about.




Could you point out where it says a tungsten rod (with no current passing through it) would be charged in any significant way? And where you got your 1C number? Because I didn't find it.


Quote:
Mass at constant speed in a straight line does not emit energy therefore it is difficult to detect.
That'd kinda defeat the purpose of decoys, wouldn't it? Because a ship, with people in it, would emit radiations. The energy spent on life support, if nothing else, would convert into heat. And that means radiation.

Quote:
Asteroids do not emit energy but it does reflect. Balloon with a radioactive isotope emiting heat can easily trick sensors.
To tell you the truth I can come up with various trick.
That's a lot of radiation. But really, making heat is trivial. All I'm saying is, your balloon would have to contain a heater in it.

And that doesn't answer my objection that if it's not made of hull material, the emission spectrum would be wrong.
Anh_Minh is offline  
Old 2008-10-19, 09:47   Link #1120
Ithekro
Space Battleship
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 36
If the basis for locating an energy source is just a telescope, than all one needs to do is make it so the specrum that is causing on to be detected does not get viewed. Thus bend it. It will not be fool proof (nothing is)) but the use a metamaterials could be the answer by bending the most damning parts of the spectrum so that one is effectively invisible. That would reduce the chance of detection on approach against passive sensors at least. An active sensor may not be fooled by this, depending on what spectrums are being bent and how.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:43.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
We use Silk.