AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-04-09, 21:10   Link #23001
Arbitres
Disabled By Request
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
The thing is Kallen was 'esteemed'. Her half-blood status being classified, Milly even said she wouldn't go talking about it. Possibly because Kallen is a Stadtfeld and a half blood, or because of the political hellfire to follow if the public found out the esteemed house of Stadtfeld had a half-blood as an heir.

It all depends on the situation, Kallen is Kouzuki to the japanese, Kallen is Stadtfeld to the Britannians. This has been touched upon several times I do believe.

To be more accurate about the art gallery, the artist of the cottage was 'One quarter Japanese' because of a investigation beforehand. In the manga, it's japanese artist, not just one-quarter. Take the coffee however you like, if you would. It has the same result: Japanese artist did it, ignore it. Choose a less well done painting from a noble.

Britannia doesn't look up to skill, it looks up to monopolizing money and name. I can see why Kallen wanted to do something about it.
Arbitres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-09, 21:29   Link #23002
Nogitsune
Shameless Fangirl
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Germany
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbitres View Post
To be more accurate about the art gallery, the artist of the cottage was 'One quarter Japanese' because of a investigation beforehand. In the manga, it's japanese artist, not just one-quarter. Take the coffee however you like, if you would. It has the same result: Japanese artist did it, ignore it. Choose a less well done painting from a noble.

Britannia doesn't look up to skill, it looks up to monopolizing money and name. I can see why Kallen wanted to do something about it.
My point was that on the surface, people with mixed blood were most likely treated more like Britannians than Elevens. That is, they were allowed to bring in their paintings, while Elevens probably weren't (the manga, as far as I know, isn't canon). This means Kallen probably went to a Britannian school even before she was officially "Kallen Stadtfeld", and therefore got bullied by Britannians, not Japanese.
__________________
"I think of the disturbance in Area 11 as a chess puzzle, set forth by Lelouch." - Clovis la Britannia
Nogitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-09, 22:23   Link #23003
youngde
Unashamed Kalulu fan
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NJ
Age: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogitsune View Post
My point was that on the surface, people with mixed blood were most likely treated more like Britannians than Elevens. That is, they were allowed to bring in their paintings, while Elevens probably weren't (the manga, as far as I know, isn't canon). This means Kallen probably went to a Britannian school even before she was officially "Kallen Stadtfeld", and therefore got bullied by Britannians, not Japanese.
Actually, the fact that Milly knew that Kallen was 1/2 Japanese from her previous school transcripts suggest that she went to a Japanese school prior to taken in by the Stadtfelds and hiding her heritage. The drug-induced ramblings of Kallen's mother suggesting that Kallen would have more freedom and not have people pick on her after joining the Stadtfeld family also suggests this.
__________________
youngde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-09, 22:46   Link #23004
Nogitsune
Shameless Fangirl
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Germany
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngde View Post
Actually, the fact that Milly knew that Kallen was 1/2 Japanese from her previous school transcripts suggest that she went to a Japanese school prior to taken in by the Stadtfelds and hiding her heritage. The drug-induced ramblings of Kallen's mother suggesting that Kallen would have more freedom and not have people pick on her after joining the Stadtfeld family also suggests this.
But were there even proper schools for Elevens? I mean, wouldn't Britannia only keep track of the school records of Honorary Britannians?
...All right, now I'm back to the speculations. I'll just settle for believing that while Naoto was still around, and especially prior to the invasion, Kallen was mostly fine - everything else I'd really like some more information on. Maybe the light novels have a thesis that might work.
__________________
"I think of the disturbance in Area 11 as a chess puzzle, set forth by Lelouch." - Clovis la Britannia
Nogitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-10, 01:08   Link #23005
Bonzo
I change anime endings.
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Italy
Age: 36
Send a message via MSN to Bonzo
In my story I written in the beginning the britannia occupation was more respectful, it becomed more heavy with the time.
Her father wanted take Kallen and his brother under his protection, but their proud won for a while.
At last, when the situation was too much heavy, and Kallen had some trouble at school, His brother Naoto asked to his father to take her under the Stadfteld family, I decided to put this event when Kallen was 13.
Bonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-11, 02:10   Link #23006
Betteroffer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogitsune View Post
Lelouch's siblings didn't think Britannia would go to war with Japan. That is, they probably believed that even the Emperor valued Lelouch's and Nunnally's lives a bit more than that - it's true that no one could have really seen it coming, but Britannia and Japan obviously hadn't been on the best terms, and I doubt it was the first time Britannia did something like that.
Actually, the invasion itself was a surprise to the world. It is mentioned is a booklet from the season one DVD's that Charles sent all of the Rounds to Africa in order to make the world focus its attention there, then effectively blindsided Japan by invading with the knightmares.

As well, it was in response to the Oriental Incident that Britannia invaded. Japan wouldn't have tried something like that unless they were pretty confidant that they could force Britannia to negotiate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogitsune View Post
Lelouch and Nunnally were also hostages - Genbu wanted to use them for political purposes besides marrying Nunnally, whatever purposes those were. If something like that doesn't work out, you'd usually kill at least one of them to get your point across.
And until things go wrong, you want them alive, especially when they are children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogitsune View Post
All those things happened after the invasion, though.
We can't be sure of that. It certainly happened after the invasion, but whether or not it was going on prior to the invasion is left unclear, and there is evidence to support the idea that the Japanese were very intolerant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogitsune View Post
Kallen spent much more time with Naoto, and probably also shared his ideals from the start. She looked up to him, and it's no surprise that someone with her sense of justice couldn't just ignore the injustice around her. Losing your family and living in a hateful and unfair world can distract you a lot from making friends.
Then she could have still made friends prior to the invasion and Naoto's death, but nothing is mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogitsune View Post
Again, that was atfer the invasion, and it was never said that she was picked on by "Elevens". The paintings Euphie is supposed to evaluate in that one episode are partly from half-bloods like Kallen, which implies that on the surface, they were treated like Britannians - Kallen might very well have gone to a Britannian school. In fact, I'm not at all sure there were many schools for "Elevens" available.
That would likely only apply to companies and the like, not individuals. Just because a school accepts a student doesn't mean the faculty or other students will like them.

It was mentioned in one episode (I don't recall which) that the Areas are left to control themselves to a degree, as far as certain matters of government are concerned, and Kyoto was made up of Japanese industrial heads, meaning that there were still some jobs that Numbers could hold that would require education. As well, the middleschool Kallen went to was apparently enough for her to instantly realize that Milly knew she wasn't Britannian, so they did infact have schools for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogitsune View Post
Britannia isn't so much racist as it is about being stronger than everyone else, at least officially. The Chinese Federation was also a superpower, so I don't think anyone who could see the political advatages would have complained.
The same can be said for Genbu marrying Nunally. Genbu wanted influence with Britannia, and Britannia wanted the sakuradite. Each side had something the other wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogitsune View Post
Well, it's not an absurd speculation, but it still lack canon support, which is why it's hard to discuss. Cornelia was also devastated by Euphie's death, but she certainly wasn't being bullied as a child (or if she was, I feel sorry for everyone who tried) - and she's just one example of many. While Lelouch and Nunnally were pretty isolated from everyone else for a considerable amoun of time, Kallen survived a war together with her family. She saw death and despair, and Naoto gave her something to believe in.
Lelouch lived a happy life in Britannia until Marianne was killed. He then lived a happy life with Suzaku for a while, and while he claimed he feared being used by the Ashfords, he still ran around gambling, rather than using his intelligence to make himself useful to them, and still viewed Ashford as a haven.

Kallen's life could range a fair bit, but she also endured isolation and the loss of loved ones, along with likely harassment for her appearance.
Betteroffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-11, 07:20   Link #23007
Nogitsune
Shameless Fangirl
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Germany
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betteroffer View Post
Actually, the invasion itself was a surprise to the world. It is mentioned is a booklet from the season one DVD's that Charles sent all of the Rounds to Africa in order to make the world focus its attention there, then effectively blindsided Japan by invading with the knightmares.

As well, it was in response to the Oriental Incident that Britannia invaded. Japan wouldn't have tried something like that unless they were pretty confidant that they could force Britannia to negotiate.
Interesting, but couldn't part of the reason Japan felt so safe be that they had Lelouch and Nunnally?

Quote:
And until things go wrong, you want them alive, especially when they are children.
Yes, and the bodyguards decided Lelouch's life wasn't in danger.

Quote:
We can't be sure of that. It certainly happened after the invasion, but whether or not it was going on prior to the invasion is left unclear, and there is evidence to support the idea that the Japanese were very intolerant.
But no evidence that they did anything to Kallen in particular. If she saw clear parallels between Japan and Britannia concerning racism, she certainly didn't let it show.

Quote:
Then she could have still made friends prior to the invasion and Naoto's death, but nothing is mentioned.
As you said, a lot of things weren't mentioned. In the case of Kallen, what the staff wanted to emphasize was how much her brother (and mother) meant to her, so I think not mentioning any friends prior to the invasion (who could have simply died) makes more sense than not mentioning her constantly being bullied.

Quote:
That would likely only apply to companies and the like, not individuals. Just because a school accepts a student doesn't mean the faculty or other students will like them.
Exactly. So if Kallen went to a Britannian school, she most likely would have been bullied there if she was half Eleven.

Quote:
It was mentioned in one episode (I don't recall which) that the Areas are left to control themselves to a degree, as far as certain matters of government are concerned, and Kyoto was made up of Japanese industrial heads, meaning that there were still some jobs that Numbers could hold that would require education. As well, the middleschool Kallen went to was apparently enough for her to instantly realize that Milly knew she wasn't Britannian, so they did infact have schools for them.
Kyoto was pretty influential, though, and an asset to the Britannian government. Regular Elevens were always shown to do jobs that don't require much of an education - I can see them having elementary schools, but I'm not so sure about anything else. A Britannian school would care enough about Kallen's parentage that Milly could easily come across it. I also doubt too many Elevens would dare attacking someone who has a Britannian parent.
Stable Areas are left to their own devices to some extent, but not so much the unstable ones like Area 11.

Quote:
The same can be said for Genbu marrying Nunally. Genbu wanted influence with Britannia, and Britannia wanted the sakuradite. Each side had something the other wanted.
But Britannia wasn't officially racist, and the Emperor could do pretty much anything he wanted to as the "most powerful man in the world". If Japan was that bad, Genbu would lose considerably support if he married Nunnally, leading to him not getting elected a second time.

Quote:
Lelouch lived a happy life in Britannia until Marianne was killed.
But there was always some danger from those around him.

Quote:
He then lived a happy life with Suzaku for a while,
Not very long, and before they became closer, he was everything but happy.

Quote:
and while he claimed he feared being used by the Ashfords, he still ran around gambling, rather than using his intelligence to make himself useful to them, and still viewed Ashford as a haven.
Lelouch said that he could not bring himself to give up his lies in his despair. He also states that the way he lived was akin to a slow death, and that he'd rather shoot himself in the head than live that way again.

Quote:
Kallen's life could range a fair bit, but she also endured isolation and the loss of loved ones, along with likely harassment for her appearance.
Occasionally, the whole point of Code Geass seems to be that Lelouch's despair is greater than that of anyone else, and I really think his past is the more damaging one. Kallen had people who supported her for the longest time, and the bullying wasn't so essential to her character that it was mentioned more than once in passing. It's the breaking apart of her family that gets emphasized, and I believe Lelouch is worse of still, but I don't think debating that will get us anywhere.
__________________
"I think of the disturbance in Area 11 as a chess puzzle, set forth by Lelouch." - Clovis la Britannia
Nogitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-11, 08:12   Link #23008
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: at GNR, bringing you the truth, no matter how bad it hurts
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogitsune View Post
But no evidence that they did anything to Kallen in particular. If she saw clear parallels between Japan and Britannia concerning racism, she certainly didn't let it show.
Lelouch used to get kicked in the head by Japanese kids
but his hate is reserved pretty much entirely for britannia within the show's plot
__________________
bladeofdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-11, 08:20   Link #23009
Nogitsune
Shameless Fangirl
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Germany
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeofdarkness View Post
Lelouch used to get kicked in the head by Japanese kids
but his hate is reserved pretty much entirely for britannia within the show's plot
What does that have to do with Kallen?
Lelouch doesn't make much of a difference between Japanese and Britannians - he just hates the Emperor, and those who abuse their power in general.
Kallen, on the other hand, does make such a difference. Japan is what is most important to her, so if she'd been treated like trash by the Japanese as a child, it really should have come up somewhere. Naoto and Kallen also look very much alike, so I can't imagine that Naoto could pass as a pure Japanese while Kallen couldn't - if nothing else, people around them knew they were brother and sister.

I don't think there was a single instance in the show where someone meeting the Black Knights for the first time looked at Kallen, paused and said, "A Britannian?"
__________________
"I think of the disturbance in Area 11 as a chess puzzle, set forth by Lelouch." - Clovis la Britannia
Nogitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-11, 13:35   Link #23010
Knightrunner
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: United States--- California
Half blood can be treated well in Britania only if they have valued skills.
I thought it was interesting how Gino said if you go with your Stadtfeld name you could have been famous and become one of the knight of rounds.

So I believe half bloods in both society can be treated negatively if you do not have a special high status or any talents. Jap. will say you not really Japanese and vise versa with Brit. It was infered that Kallen will be treated negatively if the other students find out she is actually half Japanese and that is why Milly is going to keep it a secret.

I would suspect being a half blood would be negative for both sides.
__________________
http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/6139/omk1.jpg
Credit to grylsygaeger
Knightrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-11, 14:00   Link #23011
Arbitres
Disabled By Request
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Kind of like a Tales of Symphonia scenario. Both worlds, hated by both sides.

She could've become famous because she was a Stadtfeld - Implying she was Britannian, not japanese. It's political matters, obviously. Though Suzaku was made a Knight of Round, and he was a full blooded japanese. So it might be entirely possible.

Nogitsune, your argument holds ground. But wouldn't Ashford students be going 'An Elven?', just like how the japanese would go "A britannian?'

This is difficult, maybe she seems more japanese with her preferred hairstyle? No, that is pretty imaginative. Perhaps she puts makeup on? I wouldn't know. But both sides would be going "What the hell?' because Kallen looked like the opposing side.

She is a Japanese-Britannian, so maybe it's possible it's perfectly even? It doesn't matter in the scheme of things, she was accepted by both sides with her roles. Invalid Kallen was accepted as the weak girl she portrayed herself to be, the real Kallen being accepted for being who she really is. Neither side really questioned her nationality openly.

Maybe Naoto smoothed things out for her on the resistance side? That is possible, and remember when the Black Knights were formed -- They never said about it being restricted to Japanese to join their ranks. Actually, Diethard was an applicant soon after the debut.

This is mere speculation, so it's groundless.
Arbitres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-11, 15:23   Link #23012
Knightrunner
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: United States--- California
Of course it was entirely possible for Kallen to be part of the Round Knights, but she wouldn't because of what they do and represent. Besides she is already the Ace of the Black Knights. Yes, it is almost like the tales of symphonia senario and real life.

Remember what the black knights did in the betrayal scene though. Most of the ones doing the betraying was either full japanese or britanian. Who knows maybe sunrise could have put since you are only half what is the difference if you are bait or not. I kind of wondered how Xing-ke (sorry if I butched his name) or how the other people left out of the meeting would react.
__________________
http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/6139/omk1.jpg
Credit to grylsygaeger
Knightrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-11, 18:33   Link #23013
Betteroffer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogitsune View Post
Lelouch said that he could not bring himself to give up his lies in his despair. He also states that the way he lived was akin to a slow death, and that he'd rather shoot himself in the head than live that way again.
That scene never made any sense to me, as killing himself in his own home would leave Nunally abandoned and traumatized, to say nothing of the fact that he didn't know C.C. enough to be sure she wouldn't retaliate against Nunally in some fashion, or give her a Geass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogitsune View Post
Occasionally, the whole point of Code Geass seems to be that Lelouch's despair is greater than that of anyone else, and I really think his past is the more damaging one. Kallen had people who supported her for the longest time, and the bullying wasn't so essential to her character that it was mentioned more than once in passing. It's the breaking apart of her family that gets emphasized, and I believe Lelouch is worse of still, but I don't think debating that will get us anywhere.
I'd say that C.C.'s life beats Lelouch and every other character combined by leagues for both quality and quantity of crap piled onto her. I don't think it excuses her actions, but that's another debate entirely.

I suppose we can just agree to disagree at this point, but as for the lack of focus on Kallen's past, she simply wasn't focused on enough in the first season. We know that Suzaku was supposed to have a connection to Geass in the original R2 plans, but nothing was implied in the first season beyond his sensing C.C. in the Gawain at the SAZ. Thus I at least think "the absence of evidence is not evidence of absence" is a fair arguement here.
Betteroffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-14, 11:38   Link #23014
Nogitsune
Shameless Fangirl
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Germany
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbitres View Post
This is difficult, maybe she seems more japanese with her preferred hairstyle? No, that is pretty imaginative. Perhaps she puts makeup on? I wouldn't know. But both sides would be going "What the hell?' because Kallen looked like the opposing side.
*nods*

Quote:
She is a Japanese-Britannian, so maybe it's possible it's perfectly even? It doesn't matter in the scheme of things, she was accepted by both sides with her roles. Invalid Kallen was accepted as the weak girl she portrayed herself to be, the real Kallen being accepted for being who she really is. Neither side really questioned her nationality openly.
This is what seems most likely to me.

Quote:
Maybe Naoto smoothed things out for her on the resistance side? That is possible, and remember when the Black Knights were formed -- They never said about it being restricted to Japanese to join their ranks. Actually, Diethard was an applicant soon after the debut.
Diethard was only accepted reluctantly, and only because he got the Zero Approved seal.
Naoto could have done something similar for Kallen, but that doesn't explain why no one outside the Black Knights gave her strange looks when encountering the group, or those who joined later. Naoto and Kallen also seemed to look very much alike, so I believe it's most likely that they could both pass for either.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Betteroffer View Post
That scene never made any sense to me, as killing himself in his own home would leave Nunally abandoned and traumatized, to say nothing of the fact that he didn't know C.C. enough to be sure she wouldn't retaliate against Nunally in some fashion, or give her a Geass.
I think what is important about the scene is that Lelouch's words held enough truth that C.C. acknowledged them. He might indeed not have shot himself, but because of Nunnally, not because he valued life itself more than the power to choose his own path freely.

Quote:
I'd say that C.C.'s life beats Lelouch and every other character combined by leagues for both quality and quantity of crap piled onto her. I don't think it excuses her actions, but that's another debate entirely.
C.C. is definitely a unique case, and I agree.

Quote:
I suppose we can just agree to disagree at this point, but as for the lack of focus on Kallen's past, she simply wasn't focused on enough in the first season. We know that Suzaku was supposed to have a connection to Geass in the original R2 plans, but nothing was implied in the first season beyond his sensing C.C. in the Gawain at the SAZ. Thus I at least think "the absence of evidence is not evidence of absence" is a fair arguement here.
True, but in Suzaku's case, it was pretty obvious that something was up, while Kallen was never so much as asked what a Britannian is doing with the Black Knights. Lelouch didn't think anything was off when he first met her (he only saw her face briefly, but he was able to recognize her), and neither did anyone who encountered or joined the Black Knights later. Her having had a horrible childhood is therefore pure speculation and not something I will take into consideration when comparing her past to Lelouch's - I might as well claim he and Nunnally got bullied by the many people who didn't like Marianne, which actually happens in one of the light novels.
__________________
"I think of the disturbance in Area 11 as a chess puzzle, set forth by Lelouch." - Clovis la Britannia
Nogitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-16, 21:06   Link #23015
Betteroffer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogitsune View Post
Diethard was only accepted reluctantly, and only because he got the Zero Approved seal.
Naoto could have done something similar for Kallen, but that doesn't explain why no one outside the Black Knights gave her strange looks when encountering the group, or those who joined later. Naoto and Kallen also seemed to look very much alike, so I believe it's most likely that they could both pass for either.
Part of Chiba's concern was that Diethard was being put in a rather high up position. C.C. apparantly was of western appearance, yet Kallen is the only one to ever really question her place or lack therof, in the BK as a military unit (Tamaki has a brief rant but nothing relevant). Kallen, despite her appearance had a Japanese last name, signifying that despite her appearance she wasn't completely Britannian, and there was likely the fact that the initial higher ups in the BK (Ohgi and the rest) were all familiar with her. Similarly, if she were untrustworthy, then she could have taken the Guren to the Britannians or turned on the BK in an operation.

Basically, she had a history with the BK and the resistance group before it. When all the top brass vouch for one of their own like a sister, a newbie would be hardpressed to call her loyalty into question without undermining their own credibility and professionalism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogitsune View Post
I think what is important about the scene is that Lelouch's words held enough truth that C.C. acknowledged them. He might indeed not have shot himself, but because of Nunnally, not because he valued life itself more than the power to choose his own path freely.
I guess we're just taking different things from the scene, as I can't get passed the fact that Lelouch called Nunally his reason to live, and yet seemed ready to abandon her on a whim in this scene (I say this because he could have shot C.C. as well, as it would let him get by).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogitsune View Post
True, but in Suzaku's case, it was pretty obvious that something was up, while Kallen was never so much as asked what a Britannian is doing with the Black Knights. Lelouch didn't think anything was off when he first met her (he only saw her face briefly, but he was able to recognize her), and neither did anyone who encountered or joined the Black Knights later. Her having had a horrible childhood is therefore pure speculation and not something I will take into consideration when comparing her past to Lelouch's - I might as well claim he and Nunnally got bullied by the many people who didn't like Marianne, which actually happens in one of the light novels.
My point was that it only received the briefest of acknowledgements despite originally being an important aspect of a key character. As mentioned, Kallen got very little attention in the first season, but there was still mention that her life wasn't perfect. I'm agreeing that it is speculation, but I believe that it is less so than saying, for example, that the woman Suzaku talked about with Rivalz was actually C.C.

As for Lelouch and Nunally getting bullied back in Britannia, I think there was a Sound Episode that mentions they were. I at least recall some mention of Marianne using the Ganymede to chase away some people who were harassing Lelouch or Nunally from somewhere.
Betteroffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-17, 06:37   Link #23016
Nogitsune
Shameless Fangirl
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Germany
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betteroffer View Post
Part of Chiba's concern was that Diethard was being put in a rather high up position. C.C. apparantly was of western appearance, yet Kallen is the only one to ever really question her place or lack therof, in the BK as a military unit (Tamaki has a brief rant but nothing relevant). Kallen, despite her appearance had a Japanese last name, signifying that despite her appearance she wasn't completely Britannian, and there was likely the fact that the initial higher ups in the BK (Ohgi and the rest) were all familiar with her. Similarly, if she were untrustworthy, then she could have taken the Guren to the Britannians or turned on the BK in an operation.

Basically, she had a history with the BK and the resistance group before it. When all the top brass vouch for one of their own like a sister, a newbie would be hardpressed to call her loyalty into question without undermining their own credibility and professionalism.
But even then, there were people who came in contact with the Black Knights and didn't know anything about Kallen, like Lelouch when he saw her for the first time, or Toudou's group, or Xing Ke. I just believe that if this had been essential to her character, the staff would have let at least one person comment on how she didn't look all that Japanese. Of course, we'll never know for sure.

Quote:
I guess we're just taking different things from the scene, as I can't get passed the fact that Lelouch called Nunally his reason to live, and yet seemed ready to abandon her on a whim in this scene (I say this because he could have shot C.C. as well, as it would let him get by).
*nods* Different interpretations.
Exactly because he didn't try to get past C.C. that way, and because I don't think he'd ever have abandoned Nunnally just like that, I believe he was merely trying to get his point across. But... even here, we'll never know for sure.

Quote:
My point was that it only received the briefest of acknowledgements despite originally being an important aspect of a key character. As mentioned, Kallen got very little attention in the first season, but there was still mention that her life wasn't perfect. I'm agreeing that it is speculation, but I believe that it is less so than saying, for example, that the woman Suzaku talked about with Rivalz was actually C.C.
C.C.xSuzaku...
Me likes. xD

Echem. Agreed.

Quote:
As for Lelouch and Nunally getting bullied back in Britannia, I think there was a Sound Episode that mentions they were. I at least recall some mention of Marianne using the Ganymede to chase away some people who were harassing Lelouch or Nunally from somewhere.
I'm pretty sure that was the light novel thing. After all, the person doing most of the bullying was Clovis' mother - I'd have to hang my head in shame if I had this wrong. xD
__________________
"I think of the disturbance in Area 11 as a chess puzzle, set forth by Lelouch." - Clovis la Britannia
Nogitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-17, 07:15   Link #23017
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: at GNR, bringing you the truth, no matter how bad it hurts
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betteroffer View Post
My point was that it only received the briefest of acknowledgements despite originally being an important aspect of a key character. As mentioned, Kallen got very little attention in the first season, but there was still mention that her life wasn't perfect. I'm agreeing that it is speculation, but I believe that it is less so than saying, for example, that the woman Suzaku talked about with Rivalz was actually C.C.
this, by default, cant be the case
suzaku doesn't recognize a woman that never ages or changes after spending a while living with her ?
not possible
so its not really a theory or speculation, its just plain wrong

on the other hand, "Kallen suffering racisem from other japanese people" is pretty much as likely as "Kallen suffering racisem from britannians"
one of the two happened, or possible both at different times
but you can't say NEITHR happened like the suzaku and C.C example
__________________
bladeofdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-17, 07:33   Link #23018
Nogitsune
Shameless Fangirl
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Germany
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeofdarkness View Post
this, by default, cant be the case
suzaku doesn't recognize a woman that never ages or changes after spending a while living with her ?
not possible
so its not really a theory or speculation, its just plain wrong
It could have been the abandoned plot. You know, they both forgot about it because they had such amazing-...
...
All right, all right. xD

Quote:
on the other hand, "Kallen suffering racisem from other japanese people" is pretty much as likely as "Kallen suffering racisem from britannians"
Actually, considering Kallen's attitude towards the two groups, I think one is indeed more likely than the other, and it definitely can be said that bullying did not make Kallen's life a living Hell without contradicting canon, especially prior to the invasion.
__________________
"I think of the disturbance in Area 11 as a chess puzzle, set forth by Lelouch." - Clovis la Britannia
Nogitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-17, 20:25   Link #23019
Revolutionist
Puppet Master
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Behind You
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogitsune View Post
What does that have to do with Kallen?
Lelouch doesn't make much of a difference between Japanese and Britannians - he just hates the Emperor, and those who abuse their power in general.
Kallen, on the other hand, does make such a difference. Japan is what is most important to her, so if she'd been treated like trash by the Japanese as a child, it really should have come up somewhere. Naoto and Kallen also look very much alike, so I can't imagine that Naoto could pass as a pure Japanese while Kallen couldn't - if nothing else, people around them knew they were brother and sister.

I don't think there was a single instance in the show where someone meeting the Black Knights for the first time looked at Kallen, paused and said, "A Britannian?"
This is kind of a silly argument considering anime characters all look the same. Unless the artists try to make a distinction like in some series, we the viewers can't really tell their race.

CG is one of these cases where everyone pretty much looks the same. In S1 Kallen had no problem passing as Britannian, but then in S2 she has no problem being an Eleven bunny girl. Surely the guy in charge of the "hunt" would notice if he had a Britannian amongst the other bunny girls. Same with Lelouch when she "accidentally" bumps into him, she calls herself an Eleven but if she looked Britannian he would've been confused and perhaps called her on it.
__________________
I cannot give you back your homes, or restore your dead to life, but perhaps I can give you justice, in the name of our King. ~ Ned Stark
Revolutionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-17, 21:42   Link #23020
Arbitres
Disabled By Request
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
We went over this, me and Nogitsune.

She could pass as both without much trouble, how is the main problem -- It's nearly impossible to really know.

Kallen was able to pass as a Britannian student even though she was part of the resistance, Shinchiro Tamaki probably had a few words for her when she did join if she was 'more Britannian' looking, which isn't the case.

She is 'even', on my assumption - which is flawed quite obviously. How is probably what me and you want to know, Revolutionist-kun.

This is difficult to discern, but my previous statements would be easier to underline the logicals. I'll do that later, since it would be best to see if people got any other kind of explanation.

My guess? It's all pure speculation. Maybe they didn't think about it all that much. Regardless of either it's still there.
Arbitres is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:21.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.