AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

Old 2008-04-21, 21:42   Link #361
Dann of Thursday
WHERE'S...MY...COW????

When asked what the position Kallen's father held, it was said to be a secret for now. The part about Kallen's story being moved was from somewhere though I can't recall where.

As for dying in an operation, I believe it was in a Q and A with Okouchi.

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, if you want to test a man's character give him power." - Abraham Lincoln
Dann of Thursday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-21, 21:49   Link #362
Avisch
Reality Blender

I recall a director's interview that went like this

Interviewer: Is Naoto dead?
Goro Taniguchi: Kallen thinks he's dead

My thoughts: for some reason I keep on having an idea that he could be somewhere in the Chinese Federation. I don't know why I think this though....

Kallen's father ties into the father's in the series
They are:
Uncaring (in the case Lelouch's)
Get killed by their sons (in the case of Suzaku's)
Alienated from their children (in the case Rivalz's and as said: Kallen's)

The only remotely caring father seen so far is Shirley's.....yeah.

One crazy B****
Avisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-21, 21:50   Link #363
Var
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom33 View Post
I'm starting to think Kallen has been Cagalli'd, but hopefully future episodes will prove me wrong.
Where'd you get that idea? If anything they are doing the complete opposite of Cagalli... hell I can't even see how you can compare the two when the 'cagalli'ing occured long before there was even all that much development for her character, and between her and Kallen. Then there's the whole brother thing. Pretty poor comparison, overall

Also unlike GSeed the only person that might change sides is Rolo, everyone else has far too much invested in their side to just switch.
Var is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-21, 22:05   Link #364
Dann of Thursday
WHERE'S...MY...COW????

Didn't Okouchi say at a later point that Naoto was dead for sure?

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, if you want to test a man's character give him power." - Abraham Lincoln
Old 2008-04-22, 05:28   Link #365
dom33
Pat:TAISAAAAA!

@Var I'm not sure what your talking about and I'm talking about character derailment. In GSD cagalli went from a strong willed woman to a big cry baby idiot in the eyes of her fans, I never liked her(she was always faux action girl in my eyes.) but what happened to her is happening to kallen now. and what's happening to her is Chickification.

I mean it seems like Kallen's gone from kick-ass intelligent ace pilot or Action Girl tom boy who never needed rescue and treated with respect by the writers(well not yoshino) to comic relief idiotic fanservice Faux Action Girl girly girl who's piloting skills have been lessened(so she can be rescued by men) and is treated as a buffon by the writers, and all this is done so characters like Li and Rollo(male characters) can look cool.(best term I could find.)(I'm probable exagerating the idiotic, girly girl and treatment as a buffon by the writters parts admittedly due to my rage.)

it's similar to what Judd winick is doing to Black Canary or what BMB did to Tigra or the biggest example what Hudlin is doing to Storm. trust me ask any sane comic book fan still reading today's comic books.

evidence later, but for the first piece look at my current sig.
WhiteWings:To this day I don't know what the insanity behind the decision to release the first GSD ending. My God that was without a doubt the worst ending I had ever seen in my life in a anime series.
Blizzer: He already has special powers called super pheromone powers which makes him irresistable to Sekirei's in heat.

Last edited by dom33; 2008-04-22 at 05:52.
dom33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-22, 06:16   Link #366
Dann of Thursday
WHERE'S...MY...COW????

Well, she actually turned into that about halfway through season 1 when they decided to end all her character development until R2, which is actually rather annoying.

Old 2008-04-22, 06:31   Link #367
Triple_R
Center Attraction

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
In Season 1, Kallen was used for bits of fanservice here and there (she was probably the character featured naked, on-screen, the most often), but she was largely taken seriously. That's fine - that's probably a smart way to use an attractive and likeable character like Kallen.

So far in Season 2, she's been used primarily for fanservice in three straight episodes... that really has to change in episode 4, or people are going to stop taking her seriously.
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-22, 07:47   Link #368
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO Send a message via Skype™ to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
In Season 1, Kallen was used for bits of fanservice here and there (she was probably the character featured naked, on-screen, the most often), but she was largely taken seriously. That's fine - that's probably a smart way to use an attractive and likeable character like Kallen.

So far in Season 2, she's been used primarily for fanservice in three straight episodes... that really has to change in episode 4, or people are going to stop taking her seriously.
what? this just makes Kallen even better.

Fan service is always taken seriously.
Old 2008-04-22, 07:58   Link #369
Archaic

Send a message via AIM to Archaic Send a message via MSN to Archaic Send a message via Skype™ to Archaic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avisch View Post

It's comments like this that have made a few of my friends IRL speculate that the guy we see pictured in Var's avatar may be Naoto.
Old 2008-04-22, 08:34   Link #370
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avisch View Post

Not an interview and not Taniguchi, it was our ever-so-"reliable" Kawaguchi in the audio commentary of episode 4.
Old 2008-04-22, 09:54   Link #371
Var
Banned

Quote:
@Var I'm not sure what your talking about and I'm talking about character derailment. In GSD cagalli went from a strong willed woman to a big cry baby idiot in the eyes of her fans, I never liked her(she was always faux action girl in my eyes.) but what happened to her is happening to kallen now. and what's happening to her is Chickification.

I mean it seems like Kallen's gone from kick-ass intelligent ace pilot or Action Girl tom boy who never needed rescue and treated with respect by the writers(well not yoshino) to comic relief idiotic fanservice Faux Action Girl girly girl who's piloting skills have been lessened(so she can be rescued by men) and is treated as a buffon by the writers, and all this is done so characters like Li and Rollo(male characters) can look cool.(best term I could find.)(I'm probable exagerating the idiotic, girly girl and treatment as a buffon by the writters parts admittedly due to my rage.)
I'm going to have to disagree and call that rather shallow thinking. She's the same pilot she was in S1, just that her mecha is now a lesser incarnation of itself. Chickification is also rather silly, seeing as how she was that at the start of Season 1. Her character isn't being derailed, but evolved. We're continuing from where we left off in Season 1, with a very confused and conflicted young woman, trying to sort out her priorities. If she had come back strong willed, determined, and completely sure of Lelouch, I'd have called that character derailment.

She's still the same 'kick-ass' agent she was in Season 1. Developing her character further, I'd say, is also respect from the writers, even if they display it in a rather humurous way. Her skills have also not been lessened, and she hasn't been getting saved by anyone, barring Lelouch saving her from a deranged Suzaku. If anything, she was perfectly willing to die to save Lelouch in Episode 2.

Li and Rolo have characteristics which would make them 'cool' naturally. Li is a charismatic man, while Rolo is a super-powered psychopath.

Ultimately, I think you are just being far to emotional about how the show is presenting Kallen at the moment. But, I believe that they are doing that with good reason. For example the bunny suit brought up an interesting question from Kallen, as to why she was the one wearing it and not C2. This could lead to further development between the two women. Her towel scene was simply to continue the joust between the women, while throwing in a little humor before the show becomes devoid of it.
Var is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-22, 10:09   Link #372
Rhyel
*Graphic Designer

To me Kallen is one of few character that not changed in Code Geass.

Maybe the only that we can listen thoughts about Lelouch decisions and actions.

I just want to see a flashback with answer to Lelouch question about her motivations.
Old 2008-04-22, 13:06   Link #373
Dann of Thursday
WHERE'S...MY...COW????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO View Post
what? this just makes Kallen even better.

Fan service is always taken seriously.
I actually think it degrades her character and it makes it harder for me to take her seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaic View Post
It's comments like this that have made a few of my friends IRL speculate that the guy we see pictured in Var's avatar may be Naoto.
Isn't that obviously Jeremiah though? I'll be surprised if it isn't him. The guy in the opening also doesn't resemble Naoto at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokkan View Post
Not an interview and not Taniguchi, it was our ever-so-"reliable" Kawaguchi in the audio commentary of episode 4.
Kawaguchi seems to like throwing little things like that to keep us guessing. Okouchi did say Naoto was indeed dead though. I'll post where he said that later when I find it.

Old 2008-04-22, 14:34   Link #374
Avisch
Reality Blender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokkan View Post
My bad. You're right

One crazy B****
Avisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-22, 17:07   Link #375
dom33
Pat:TAISAAAAA!

@Onizuka-GTO so you enjoyed the ninaxtable scene?(yes some people enjoyed that eeeew.)

@Dann that is annoying.

@Dann and triple R yeah I'd take C.C. seriously if her ass wasn't shown in very interesting positions in promo pics, hell I'd take the series seriously if it didn't have pointless fanservice and yaoiservice in the show or promo pics.

as for kallen in the eye of fans well at blogs I've been to some of them still treat her seriously, some of them treat her(and C.C.) as walking fanservice and one guy dosen't take the show seriously.

@var developing her in a humorous/not taken seriously way is respect from the writers?

also I said I am exageratting some parts of my complaints, so sue me I'm a college student! I'm expected to lose control due to stress.

as for her piloting skills compare the end of the fight in 24 to the end of the one in 11 and explain to me why she couldn't do some thing she did 13 episodes ago despite having more time to do it?

if Li and Rollo are so cool why does Kallen have to be nerfed around them? if the writers wanted me acknowledge them here's how

I consider Kallen the show's best pilot why? because she faces real challenges. think about it she lasted longest against suzaku in episode 2 despite being in a glasglow with one arm. then in episode 9 she had tough time with the knightpolice due to a surprise attack and her mother close.( note: I know someone will say I'm just making excuses like kira fans do about the fight in GSD 34 but I'm giving evidence instead of just saying it with no proof.) now where am I go with this? easy the reason Amuro Ray , Kamille Bidan, Char Anzable, and other legendary mecha pilots earned they're rep is they faced real challenges.

Rollo and Suzaku have ridiculously powerful mechs so it's no problem for them to destroy a few sutherlands or burais.

as for Li well again did Kallen need to look like a buffon in that scene and be wearing only a towel? kinda makes it hard to take her and the scene seriously doesn't it?

so if the writers want me to acknowledge Rollo and Li have them face real challenges and not nerf a strong character.

by the way how Li and Rollo are being developed kinda reminds me of Sasuke's current status.(read it and you'll see what I mean.)

yeah what reason did they have to put Kallen in a bunny suit? oh I know fanservice. as for the why C.C. didn't wear it nothing is going to comeout of that. as for the towel scene it was an excuse for more fanservice while treating Kallen like comic relief/fanservice while she's been written as something similar to Emma Sheen or Roux Louka, it makes me both sad(about Kallen's derailment) and angry(at the writers).

list of evidence later.
WhiteWings:To this day I don't know what the insanity behind the decision to release the first GSD ending. My God that was without a doubt the worst ending I had ever seen in my life in a anime series.
Blizzer: He already has special powers called super pheromone powers which makes him irresistable to Sekirei's in heat.

Last edited by dom33; 2008-04-22 at 17:21.
dom33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-22, 17:31   Link #376
Rhyel
*Graphic Designer

@dom33:

Good post. I agree, but:

This Season just start, like first season, Kallens is more fanservice and fun.

Just join to me to pray for Kallen take a Lancelot or equivalent Nightmare from Lakshata.
Her current nightmare is annoying.
Old 2008-04-22, 17:50   Link #377
Fenrir_valindri
Miria's #1 Disciple

Not sure how you got the impression that they nerfed Kallen, as far as I see it, she is just as strong as she has always been.

But unlike every other Main-Character pilots in this series, her KMF hasn't been upgraded (yet), its been downgraded.

Think about it, the Lancelot got upgraded throughout season 1, yet Kallen was able to hold her own against it until the very end, when her Radiation-Wave Claw got blown away in an arm-trade.

The enemies tech is getting better, while Kallen has to make do with a downgraded Gurren.

If you think she looks weaker next to the Vincent it is just because the Vincent's own abilities are so over the top that it makes ALL previous KMF look inferior.

Rollo's timestop means that anyone in this series would be screwed against him in a 1v1 fight, Kallen included.

----

As for fanservice making you not take her seriously, that is more personal opinion then anything. I still consider Kallen one of my favorite characters in this show, despite the silly moments her character experiences.

Is she shown naked more then any other character? Yes, yes she is, but that is the unfortunate by-product of her popularity.

She is hot + popular = fanservice, and alot of it, it is a fact of anime.

Just because she shows a little more skin in certain scenes then other characters doesn't mean she should be treated less seriously, that is shallow thinking imo.

----

I also disagree that her character has gotten weaker, she seems to have matured over her previous self who did nothing but blindly follow Zero's commands, which set her up for her breakdown at the end of Season 1.

Her confrontation with Lelouch cemented the improvement of her character for me, she wants Lelouch to prove that he is worthy of her former admiration of Zero. Instead of just blindly following a faceless man in a mask and doing his every whim without question.
Old 2008-04-22, 18:02   Link #378
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrir_valindri View Post
I also disagree that her character has gotten weaker, she seems to have matured over her previous self who did nothing but blindly follow Zero's commands, which set her up for her breakdown at the end of Season 1.

Her confrontation with Lelouch cemented the improvement of her character for me, she wants Lelouch to prove that he is worthy of her former admiration of Zero. Instead of just blindly following a faceless man in a mask and doing his every whim without question.
I was getting quite frustrated with her blindly following Zero which is why I'm glad the Zero & Kallen kiss scene never happened. After her strong start in season 1 she just become wasted potential. I agree with you that her confrontation with Lelouch is an sign of improvement in her character.
Westlo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-22, 18:14   Link #379
Dann of Thursday
WHERE'S...MY...COW????

Quote:
@Dann and triple R yeah I'd take C.C. seriously if her ass wasn't shown in very interesting positions in promo pics, hell I'd take the series seriously if it didn't have pointless fanservice and yaoiservice in the show or promo pics.
Um, those were promo pics that weren't in the show and have no bearing really on anything in the show. If anything, it's your fault for looking at them. And the fanservice doesn't dominate the show and I think you are simply nitpicking things and exaggerating.

Old 2008-04-22, 18:33   Link #380
Fenrir_valindri
Miria's #1 Disciple

If you don't think fanservice dominates the show then you shouldn't let fanservice with Kallen bug you.

Almost every female character has had some form of fanservice.

C.C. wore a skintight outfit for a majority of season 1, and is shown naked every time she does one of those "vision" things. She has even worn a french-maid looking outfit during the Mao arc. (Not to mention the somewhat pointless scene with C.C. swimming in a pool sometime in season 1, which wasn't much more then fanservice either)

Vilanette is the only character to have actually shown nipple in the series, and she often wears somewhat skimpy, and/or figure flattering outfits.

Shirley is part of the swim team, and we got to see her in her skintight swimsuit more then a few times.

So don't think that Kallen is alone in being a victim of fanservice.