AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-04-30, 22:04   Link #181
Esper 28
Akira
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Side 3
It's true, this thread isn't very active and I think it's partially because there's nothing but really small hints as to what C.C. is. That and C.C. just doesn't that much in the show. Don't get me wrong, I'm of the philosophy that she's got her little hands in almost everything, but she's not the one shooting at things or the one making speeches. She's a character that creates a spark, but stands back to let the fire burn. People are usually drawn to the characters that make the biggest splash because then there's lots to talk about. Their loss, I say.

And while C.C.'s thread may have the least activity, at least she's got a thread. I have to keep all my thoughts about Cornelia bottled up. Oh, poor Cornelia... if only Lelouch never got to Darlton, you'd show the little brat what it means to pilot a Knightmare Frame.
Esper 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-30, 22:07   Link #182
Dann of Thursday
WHERE'S...MY...COW????
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Illinois, U.S.A.
Age: 24
Hmm, looking at it like that, isn't C.C. more of a minor character? Is she even the main heroine if there is such a position?
__________________
By the pricking of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes.

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, if you want to test a man's character give him power." - Abraham Lincoln
Dann of Thursday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-30, 22:19   Link #183
Esper 28
Akira
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Side 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dann of Thursday View Post
Hmm, looking at it like that, isn't C.C. more of a minor character? Is she even the main heroine if there is such a position?
Well, in a sense, I would say that, yeah, she is part of the supporting cast. If you look at her in the beginning of the series, it's hard to deny that she had a very, very minor role. She was basically locked up at the school with little to no interaction with anyone but Lelouch. As the story progresses, she gets more screen time, yeah, but she still never becomes much of a key player. I think it's safe to say that in the first half of the series, she was a minor character, but in this second half, she'll become more of a "main character".

Also, I think it's a misnomer to call her a "heroine". It's in my opinion that she has little to no qualities that constitute being classified as heroic nor do I think she qualifies as main female character of the show at any given point so far. I'm not even sure what would be proper to label her as... really, a supporting character is the best I can come up with. She's more important than say, Toudou, but she's not in the forefront as say, Euphie was.

It's just tricky to classify her. As you can tell, I'm sort of trying to figure it out in my head as I write out my post, but I can't seem to come to a solid conclusion. So, I'll just say, "Yeah, she's important, but not that important...yet."
Esper 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-30, 22:27   Link #184
Ice_Bullet
Blood flows freely..
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
uh not to flame you esper.. but i think shes a very important character . i mean if lelouch didn't meet her and she hadn't given lelouch his geass.. i doubt this series would even exist =x

Last edited by Ice_Bullet; 2008-04-30 at 23:31.
Ice_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-30, 22:40   Link #185
Aquaman OS
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
C.C. more or less reached her peak of importance for awhile. Going any further will get into the history and meaning of Geass and the World of C which is stuff that not only has little to do with the current fight against Britannia but is probably something they are saving till the end of the show.

So basically for now she's not gonna do much. Her only job seems to be to fill in for Lelouch when he's not with the order. She's not even an important pilot now since Gawain is gone and Kallen and Rolo are the real aces.
Aquaman OS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-30, 22:43   Link #186
Dann of Thursday
WHERE'S...MY...COW????
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Illinois, U.S.A.
Age: 24
Yeah, so I guess that means that C.C. will get practically no screentime until the last few episodes while they focus on Kallen instead for the rest of the series. Was pretty much a given from the start I suppose. C.C. has never been involved with the plot that much actually and has always been in a minor role.

I suppose that makes the main characters Lelouch and Kallen then?
__________________
By the pricking of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes.

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, if you want to test a man's character give him power." - Abraham Lincoln
Dann of Thursday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-30, 22:47   Link #187
Marsala
Delurker
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
C.C. seems to be the official "lead female". In the cast list of the credits in R2, her name appears 3rd after Lelouch and Suzaku (with Rolo as the fourth name on the first page). Occasionally her screen time is reduced or less than other characters, but that also goes for Suzaku, who despite being the secondmost important male character hasn't appeared nearly as much as Rolo in R2 so far.
Marsala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-30, 22:47   Link #188
Esper 28
Akira
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Side 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice_Bullet View Post
uh not to flame or you esper.. but i thik shes a very important character . i mean if lelouch didn't meet her and she hadn't given lelouch his geass.. i doubt this series would even exist =x
No, no, you're absolutely correct! She's crucial to the plot in that sense. Absolutely, I never meant to detract from her contributions behind the scenes. She is, after all, what sparks the series. But like I said earlier, that's what her character does. It creates a spark and then coolly sits off on the sidelines. You're absolutely right that she's critical to the story and that without her, you wouldn't have a show.

But what I'm referring to is her prevalence and like, importance in a different way. Uhm...what would be a good example? I'll try an anime reference first, even though I'm not exactly on top of what's popular, but like in Gundam 00. I would probably put C.C. on par with the likes of Sumeragi, the Captain of the Ptolemy. She's key to the story because, really, without her, there'd be no Celestial Being. From literature, I'll turn to The Iliad for a reference since it was turned into a major movie. Agamemnon is a key character to the story, but Achilles is the star, the main character. Agamemnon is a really good example, actually, because his role is determined entirely on how you look at him. You could easily make an argument that he's a main character because he is so important, but at the same time, The Iliad is really a story about Achilles and, overall, the Trojan War. Agamemnon is the spark that started the war, but he isn't really the one who fights it. Out of the many books that compromise The Iliad, several of them don't have Agamemnon in them, but most of them have Achilles in some way. Replace Achilles with Lelouch and Agamemnon with C.C. and it's kind of the same thing. I'm sure someone could easily come in here and blow my logic out of the water and I totally welcome it.

So, I hope I explained myself better. I didn't mean that C.C. crucial to the show, it's just that she's never really thrust into the forefront like the other characters are. I think it's safe to say that Kallen is more of a main character than C.C. But again, it's really all in how you look at the character because she's teetering on the edge of main character and supporting cast. However, I will say again that I think in this season, she's going to be playing a much more important and obvious role.

And disagreeing with me is certainly not flaming! And my gods, did I really just compare Code Geass to The Iliad?
Esper 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-30, 22:48   Link #189
Dann of Thursday
WHERE'S...MY...COW????
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Illinois, U.S.A.
Age: 24
I don't think that list means much in terms of leads. And didn't Kallen and Shirley get more screentime than C.C. had?
__________________
By the pricking of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes.

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, if you want to test a man's character give him power." - Abraham Lincoln
Dann of Thursday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-30, 22:49   Link #190
ashlay
the red string of fate
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dann of Thursday View Post
Yeah, so I guess that means that C.C. will get practically no screentime until the last few episodes while they focus on Kallen instead for the rest of the series. Was pretty much a given from the start I suppose. C.C. has never been involved with the plot that much actually and has always been in a minor role.

I suppose that makes the main characters Lelouch and Kallen then?
Well, that hasn't particularly proved to be true. I'd offhand say their screentimes are about equal totaling up the past few weeks. (and in fact in the past few episodes most of their scenes have been together. >_>)

Besides, you know what's happening with C.C. next week and dropping a fact related to the geass storyline. So Aquaman's assumption clearly isn't a given.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dann of Thursday View Post
I don't think that list means much in terms of leads. And didn't Kallen and Shirley get more screentime than C.C. had?
actually it does. what it means to be a lead is another matter however.

and Shirley certainly didn't have more screentime than C.C.
__________________
Memento mori
ashlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-30, 22:50   Link #191
Aquaman OS
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Well that makes the main character Lelouch. He's the only one thats really front and center all the time.

I mean its not uncommon for the secondary heroes to leave the spot light for awhile. In Bleach Rukia's the main female but she disappeared for most of the 2nd arc.
In Xenogears Elly is the main heroine but after her intro scene she disappears until 20% into the story then leaves again then comes back at 30% and stays till 95% and then leaves again till the finale. Just stuff that happens to people who aren't the title character.
Aquaman OS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-30, 22:51   Link #192
Esper 28
Akira
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Side 3
I was going to say that C.C.'s a popular character and that means she'll get screen time, but it'll be like, superfluous in nature. Perhaps some more scenes with her eating pizza or something.

EDIT: Well, I can't honestly consider C.C. to be the lead female of the show. How is C.C. the lead over the likes of Kallen? Or in the first season, over Euphie?

Last edited by Esper 28; 2008-04-30 at 22:55. Reason: I didn't want to double post...
Esper 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-30, 22:53   Link #193
ashlay
the red string of fate
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaman OS View Post
Well that makes the main character Lelouch. He's the only one thats really front and center all the time.

I mean its not uncommon for the secondary heroes to leave the spot light for awhile. In Bleach Rukia's the main female but she disappeared for most of the 2nd arc.
In Xenogears Elly is the main heroine but after her intro scene she disappears until 20% into the story then leaves again then comes back at 30% and stays till 95% and then leaves again till the finale. Just stuff that happens to people who aren't the title character.
In PlanetES Ai got less and less screentime as Hachi started going crazy.
__________________
Memento mori
ashlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-30, 23:02   Link #194
Dann of Thursday
WHERE'S...MY...COW????
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Illinois, U.S.A.
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlay View Post
Well, that hasn't particularly proved to be true. I'd offhand say their screentimes are about equal totaling up the past few weeks. (and in fact in the past few episodes most of their scenes have been together. >_>)

Besides, you know what's happening with C.C. next week and dropping a fact related to the geass storyline. So Aquaman's assumption clearly isn't a given.


actually it does. what it means to be a lead is another matter however.

and Shirley certainly didn't have more screentime than C.C.
Well, currently they may be even but since this season is Kallen's story she'll probably end up dominating everyone with the exception of Lelouch. I suppose that may have been what has been bothering me so much.

I'm leaving tomorrow and won't be back until late Sunday so I won't know much about next week. Besides the Geass storyline isn't likely going to be important until the finale with bits here and there.

Meh, I don't know.

Okay, that is true she didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlay View Post
In PlanetES Ai got less and less screentime as Hachi started going crazy.
Well, this isn't that show though the case is similar.
__________________
By the pricking of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes.

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, if you want to test a man's character give him power." - Abraham Lincoln
Dann of Thursday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-30, 23:24   Link #195
ashlay
the red string of fate
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esper 28 View Post
I
EDIT: Well, I can't honestly consider C.C. to be the lead female of the show. How is C.C. the lead over the likes of Kallen? Or in the first season, over Euphie?
Because her name is always the third one on the credits. (occasionally the second) That means along with Lelouch and Suzaku, she's one of the leads in this story. (and apparently Rollo is now the 4th lead)

Kallen meanwhile appeared all over the place during the first season, (though she did manage to make it to position 4 in the final season 1 credits. :3) and appears as the first character on the second "page" of cast credits this season.


Anywho, I can't prove that C.C.'s had more screentime than Kallen, since I'm far too lazy to count all that up, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if she has.
__________________
Memento mori

Last edited by ashlay; 2008-05-01 at 00:03.
ashlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-30, 23:29   Link #196
tbl
Affably Evil
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Hammerspace or Australia, I forget which
I always assumed that C.C. was the show's female lead.
__________________
Destroy. Destroy. Destroy. Slowly, completely, gently beyond comparison, cruelly to the point of numbness, I'll violate your life. That's right. The instant I rip off your limbs, tear open your rib and pull out your intestines, biting into your neck as you scream in agony, chewing through your eyes as I ignore your pleas for mercy and spreading your brains on the ground like butter! I am sane, well more or less

tbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-30, 23:30   Link #197
Ice_Bullet
Blood flows freely..
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
lol. i see your point esper

anyway. i think she has done quite abit as a female lead.. i mean.. helping lelouch when hes unable to be in two places at one time.. you know.. but karen seems to play a much more important role nearing to the end of season 1 and starting of 2.. such that c.c seems less important. yeah maybe she doesnt pilot and fight like the other soldiers of OotBk like karen (exception of gawin) but she did help lelouch in one way or the other.. like sensing nunnally was gone..
Ice_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-30, 23:34   Link #198
Aquaman OS
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Well Geass really messes around with standard mecha character roles so its expected. As the main pilot for the protagonist's side Kallen more or less takes the spotlight whenever battle comes up. So it's not unexpected that she's very important. She's more or less the 2nd most important female in the show right now and I doubt that will change since Euphie was the only character she was competing for that spot with and she's gone now. I don't expect another new female character to take that position so more or less C.C. is the heroine and Kallen is the secondary one.
Aquaman OS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-30, 23:36   Link #199
Esper 28
Akira
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Side 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaman OS View Post
I mean its not uncommon for the secondary heroes to leave the spot light for awhile. In Bleach Rukia's the main female but she disappeared for most of the 2nd arc.
In Xenogears Elly is the main heroine but after her intro scene she disappears until 20% into the story then leaves again then comes back at 30% and stays till 95% and then leaves again till the finale. Just stuff that happens to people who aren't the title character.
I don't know much about Xenogears, but I know in Bleach that while Rukia wasn't on screen, she was a huge, huge driving force for the main character, Ichigo. If Lelouch, in the face of danger, stopped and said, "I need to do this, because I promised C.C.," I think it would be a different situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dann of Thursday View Post
Well, currently they may be even but since this season is Kallen's story she'll probably end up dominating everyone with the exception of Lelouch. I suppose that may have been what has been bothering me so much.
I don't think that'll be the case. However, I do think Kallen's story will overpower C.C.'s importance, I don't think she's going to become so important that she makes everyone look insignificant. Nobody has mentioned Suzaku. Even though he's an antagonist, doesn't mean that a good portion of story is going to be dedicated to him. Part of the awesomeness of Code Geass is the fact that you can't really point a finger at someone and immediately identify them as a good guy or bad guy.

After this discussion, I'm at the point where I'm getting ready to simply say that Lelouch and Suzaku are the main characters and everyone else is just part of the supporting cast. The reason I would say that is because it's difficult to distinguish who is more important or who has the most impact on the plot at any given moment. Which, if I may say, is a great thing. Many shows have the problem where they favor some characters, but at the same time, want a character who gets little attention to have great importance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dann of Thursday View Post
Well, this isn't that show though the case is similar.
I don't know the show he's talking about, but I think he was making a joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlay View Post
Because her name is always the third one on the credits. (occasionally the second) That means along with Lelouch and Suzaku, she's one of the leads in this story. (and apparently Rollo is now the 4th lead)

Kallen meanwhile appeared all over the place during the first season, (though she did manage to make it to position 4 in the final season 1 credits. :3) and appears as the first character on the second "page" of staff credits this season.


Anywho, I can't prove that C.C.'s had more screentime than Kallen, since I'm far too lazy to count all that up, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if she has.
Not to insult you, but I personally don't think the order a character appears in the credits is any real substantial evidence of their importance to the story. And when considering screen time, I think it's important to take into account the importance of the appearance or the impact it has. I made the joke earlier about C.C. eating pizza...what does this amount to? Absolutely nothing, but C.C.'s a fan favorite so why not have her in an unbelievable adorable scene where she's got a big strip of cheese hanging out of her mouth.
Esper 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-30, 23:39   Link #200
Esper 28
Akira
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Side 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaman OS View Post
Well Geass really messes around with standard mecha character roles so its expected. As the main pilot for the protagonist's side Kallen more or less takes the spotlight whenever battle comes up. So it's not unexpected that she's very important. She's more or less the 2nd most important female in the show right now and I doubt that will change since Euphie was the only character she was competing for that spot with and she's gone now. I don't expect another new female character to take that position so more or less C.C. is the heroine and Kallen is the secondary one.
I just don't see how C.C. is more important than Kallen. Kallen is the Order's ace pilot and has faced off against some of their toughest opponents. She had a huge impact on Lelouch that would, if not for the giving of the Geass power, would rival C.C.'s in every conceivable way. Lelouch definitely cares for both characters. I mean, they're really similar with the only real difference is C.C.'s giving of the Geass, but I think that gets equalized by Kallen's awesome Knightmare skills.

Last edited by Esper 28; 2008-04-30 at 23:39. Reason: Grammar error that like, altered what I was trying to say...
Esper 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:58.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.