AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-08-21, 02:44   Link #4521
Judoh
Mystery buff
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Gone Fishin!
The episode 6 patch isn't compatible with episode 7.
Judoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-21, 05:31   Link #4522
dreamsrollhigh
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
But this happens when I try to load Episode 6. Not Episode 6 with 7.
dreamsrollhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-21, 06:02   Link #4523
m0h
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
Given that Dlanor's group has a German name, I'm guessing Gertrud or Gertrude is closer.
Most likely. Italian's Geltrude is pronounced with a soft G as in "Jem" , Gertrude is pronounced with an hard G as in "Gear".

Also Cornelia sounds like an italian name (the last -elia part is quite common in italian names like Amelia ) , but i've never heard anyone in italy in modern times whose name is that one.
m0h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-21, 12:40   Link #4524
clevomon
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Translation of Episode 7 and compatibility patch are under way.

Meanwhile, it came to our attention that a lot of people are hosting videos of Umineko no Naku Koro ni and Umineko no Naku Koro ni Chiru with our patch.
We believe it is time to spread the message before it really goes out of hand: Please, we ask you not to host any video of the VN on perma host like youtube, regardless if there is any of our translation or not.
The reason is, although we do not own Umineko at all, the translated script are our intellectual property (still within 07th Expansion ownership, that is to be said). By that, hosting videos of that kind without our conscent is plainly similar than just uploading the game with the patch bundled. We do not condone such action though it is of course naive to expect no instance of such kind.

That being said, that is really no service towards us, and certainly not for 07th Expansion, as that kind of action will just have a domino effect on the long run. Also, 07th Expansion explicitely stated in Umineko 7 that it is forbidden to upload their games and so forth.


Oh, and before there is anyone trying to play the smartass: yes the warning also forbid anyone to edit their game. We will see with Ryukishi if it involves our project or not, although he never revoked the permission he had granted.
Klashikari,

I promise that I am not trying to be a smartass. I simply have a question. I often reference you guys in translating the umineko motion graphics. I've been translating those on my own since spring of last year. I always credit you guys. This time around, I yanked more than usual due to the giant mash-up of text in UMG7. Are those translations fine? Should they be taken down? Edited?
clevomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-21, 12:50   Link #4525
NEO117
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Anybody knows wether EP7 will be the last yet? Heck. Do you even think all of this mess will come out with a rational explanation like Higurashi in the first place?

Also thanks for the patch guys. I'm on EP6 right now and I just got to say, you guys surpassed level 8 and went into Godlike level of awesomeness. Do you accept donations?
NEO117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-21, 13:52   Link #4526
rogerpepitone
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Send a message via Yahoo to rogerpepitone
Cornelia could be taken as a female form of Cornelius.
rogerpepitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-21, 14:01   Link #4527
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv150
*Graphic Designer
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Belgium, Brussels
Age: 28
Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevomon View Post
Klashikari,

I promise that I am not trying to be a smartass. I simply have a question. I often reference you guys in translating the umineko motion graphics. I've been translating those on my own since spring of last year. I always credit you guys. This time around, I yanked more than usual due to the giant mash-up of text in UMG7. Are those translations fine? Should they be taken down? Edited?
The UMG does not belong to 07th Expansion, but to the doujin group behind it: COSMIC COMIC , RIFF RAFF and ALTERNAIT (with the fair use of the characters and setup that belong to 07th Expansion, of course).
I see little point and relevancy about taking these down, since they are fan work after all.

However, since their UMG are actually sold during each comiket, I really can't tell if they condone that or not (unlikely but heh, uploading their videos is always a sheer quality drop). That has really nothing to do with us though. So no, you really don't need our permission, and crediting some lines directly from our translation is fair enough.
__________________
Klashikari is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-21, 16:15   Link #4528
clevomon
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Whew, that's good to know. Thanks for the speedy reply!
clevomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-21, 16:39   Link #4529
Servant-Kanon
~* Ushiromiya Servant *~
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Rokkenjima
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0h View Post
Most likely. Italian's Geltrude is pronounced with a soft G as in "Jem" , Gertrude is pronounced with an hard G as in "Gear".

Also Cornelia sounds like an italian name (the last -elia part is quite common in italian names like Amelia ) , but i've never heard anyone in italy in modern times whose name is that one.
About Gertrude I'm quite sure it's the German version of the Name because "Eiserne Jungfrau" is also german.

But since the german version of Cornelia would be Kornelia, I'm not quite sure about her name.
__________________
Servant-Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-21, 16:53   Link #4530
momobunny
◔ ◡ ◔
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: ImaginaryLand
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Servant-Kanon View Post
About Gertrude I'm quite sure it's the German version of the Name because "Eiserne Jungfrau" is also german.

But since the german version of Cornelia would be Kornelia, I'm not quite sure about her name.
Does it make a difference in Japanese? If it's the same pronunciation then it could very well be "Kornelia", unless of course Ryukishi07 stated otherwise.
__________________

momobunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-21, 17:16   Link #4531
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by momobunny View Post
Does it make a difference in Japanese? If it's the same pronunciation then it could very well be "Kornelia", unless of course Ryukishi07 stated otherwise.
Her sprite folder is COR and Gertrude's is GER. 07th uses some flavorful romanizations in their file structure at times (BUT, KIR, KLA, ENJ, etc.), so this one seems pretty unambiguous when it matches so closely.
__________________
Redaction of the Golden Witch
I submit that a murder was committed in 1996.
This murder was a "copycat" crime inspired by our tales of 1986.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-21, 17:20   Link #4532
Servant-Kanon
~* Ushiromiya Servant *~
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Rokkenjima
Quote:
Originally Posted by momobunny View Post
Does it make a difference in Japanese? If it's the same pronunciation then it could very well be "Kornelia", unless of course Ryukishi07 stated otherwise.
Well her name is コーネリア, which would be Koneria in romaji so I guess her name could really be Kornelia.

And nope haven't heard anything of Ryukishi07 stating otherwise.

Quote:
Her sprite folder is COR and Gertrude's is GER. 07th uses some flavorful romanizations in their file structure at times (BUT, KIR, KLA, ENJ, etc.), so this one seems pretty unambiguous when it matches so closely.
Well it just kinda bothered me after reading m0h's post.
__________________
Servant-Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-21, 17:28   Link #4533
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
It may actually be possible; it is my understanding that all names from ep1-4 were absolutely confirmed by 07th Expansion in direct correspondence to the Witch Hunt group. However, I'm not sure if anyone at 07th has said anything about the ep5-7 characters or not, since I think BT was the person in contact confirming all the names.

Most of them are pretty obvious, granted, but a few I don't know about.
__________________
Redaction of the Golden Witch
I submit that a murder was committed in 1996.
This murder was a "copycat" crime inspired by our tales of 1986.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-21, 18:29   Link #4534
Digdri
Uu~ Let's solve a riddle
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by Servant-Kanon View Post
About Gertrude I'm quite sure it's the German version of the Name because "Eiserne Jungfrau" is also german.

But since the german version of Cornelia would be Kornelia, I'm not quite sure about her name.
Well I don't see a point in changing the translation. Its right that German often uses K where English / Latin or some other languages would use a C and there are many Names with those germanized variations but on the other side that doesn't mean that they really get used as the 'official' German version of the name.
I know from my own name how much of a hassle can result from this . Whenever I just mention it for writing down, the very first request always is "With a C or a K?" or people just assume the wrong one like half of the time. So it seem the point for most of this rather new germanized name variations is mute as we can't even decide ourselves which versions we like more.

Besides Kornelia / Cornelia isn't even considered typically German. It actually goes back to the Romans. And in Latin it MUST be written with a C obviously.

Gertrud / Gertrude is a similar problem even if this name is of Germanic origin. It's not true that you would consider one of them more German then the other (and if Wikipedia serves as an indication that even proves right historically as both versions are all over the place in different centuries).... its just more difficult to judge, as its not really a modern name anymore. ^^

So in the end its really not worth the effort.
We don't even know if he even intended to suggest a theme naming. Knox (character and real person) don't even have a German tie-in with his / her name.
With all this references to really old literature and complementing names (Dante, Virgil, Augustus...) it seem even less likely it WAS intended this way.

Last edited by Digdri; 2010-08-21 at 18:44.
Digdri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-21, 22:07   Link #4535
Altimus
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Even tought I'm new in the forum (and in the games ) I just wanted to give a huge thanks to everyone on the staff of Witch Haunt and everyone else that was part on this translation efford, I just finished Chapter 1, with it's extras and all, and I'm begining chapter 2 ^^, and I'll say I'm quite pleased with It, I hope not to sound out of place, but even tought is small I just wanted to give my thanks.
Now I have a little question (xd), and it's that I have (from a Friend), the game that it has the first 3 chapters, my question is, witch one you'll I buy to play the remaining chapters, if posible I'll like someone to tell me it's full name if not much to ask, and if it's more than 1 game the ones that I should look after (sorry to be bothersome )

Sayounara

PD: sorry for my bad english

どうもありがとうございます
Altimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-21, 22:42   Link #4536
The Creator
Golden Emperor
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Episode 4: Alliance of the Golden Witch contains all of the question arcs (Episode 1 to Episode 4). For the answer arcs you'll have to wait till december when Episode 8 comes out
The Creator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-21, 23:56   Link #4537
TsundereCake
真 ラブ
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Everywhere
I was trying to download nsaout.exe to extract the Episode 6 sprites, but Norton immediately deleted it as "Trojan.ADH" :/ Am I being attacked, or is it just a misunderstanding on Norton's part (this has happened before with other things that I know aren't viruses)?
__________________
I need a new sig ⊙︿⊙
TsundereCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-21, 23:59   Link #4538
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by TsundereCake View Post
I was trying to download nsaout.exe to extract the Episode 6 sprites, but Norton immediately deleted it as "Trojan.ADH" :/ Am I being attacked, or is it just a misunderstanding on Norton's part (this has happened before with other things that I know aren't viruses)?
I haven't tried nsaout on ep6/7, but it worked on ep4. I've since switched to ExtractData which can handle .nsa and has a better interface and hasn't caused any problems.

It's most likely just being stupid because of the way nsaout.exe operates.
__________________
Redaction of the Golden Witch
I submit that a murder was committed in 1996.
This murder was a "copycat" crime inspired by our tales of 1986.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-22, 04:44   Link #4539
Servant-Kanon
~* Ushiromiya Servant *~
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Rokkenjima
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digdri View Post
Well I don't see a point in changing the translation. Its right that German often uses K where English / Latin or some other languages would use a C and there are many Names with those germanized variations but on the other side that doesn't mean that they really get used as the 'official' German version of the name.
I know from my own name how much of a hassle can result from this . Whenever I just mention it for writing down, the very first request always is "With a C or a K?" or people just assume the wrong one like half of the time. So it seem the point for most of this rather new germanized name variations is mute as we can't even decide ourselves which versions we like more.
Oh someone else from Good ol' Germany it seems
The only name I know where it's necessary to ask wether it is written with C or K is Christine which's typical German form is Kristin.

Quote:
Besides Kornelia / Cornelia isn't even considered typically German. It actually goes back to the Romans. And in Latin it MUST be written with a C obviously.
True ...

Quote:
Gertrud / Gertrude is a similar problem even if this name is of Germanic origin. It's not true that you would consider one of them more German then the other (and if Wikipedia serves as an indication that even proves right historically as both versions are all over the place in different centuries).... its just more difficult to judge, as its not really a modern name anymore. ^^
Gertrud / Gertrude share the same name origin, which is in fact Gertrud.
The Ger stands for spear and the trud wether for drud or druid or trut like in "vertraut" in english trust.

At least this is what Wikipedia says...

Quote:
So in the end its really not worth the effort.
We don't even know if he even intended to suggest a theme naming. Knox (character and real person) don't even have a German tie-in with his / her name.
With all this references to really old literature and complementing names (Dante, Virgil, Augustus...) it seem even less likely it WAS intended this way.

Well as we all know Knox was named after Ronald A. Knox which was necessary to give us the 10 Rules of Knox.
Since we only know three Members of "Eiserne Jungfrau" we can't really tell if anyone else has a German name and if it's on purpose.
__________________
Servant-Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-22, 06:33   Link #4540
m0h
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Well, i think that debate on the name we're having now doesn't imply we want the translation changed. It's for the simple pleasure of discussion.

As for "Eiserne Jungfrau" i wander if we can trace a parallel with the direct object the name suggests:


And the use of Cornelia and Gertrude on "constrains" of witches. In the game they both seems to serve as seals to corner witches, using Knox as a final blow to kill'em fast.
m0h is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
translation

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:37.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.