AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2011-07-05, 08:38   Link #6541
Azule
Golden Witch

Send a message via AIM to Azule Send a message via MSN to Azule Send a message via Skype™ to Azule
So it's gonna be more Ougon+ than Ougon 2, if it's just a lot of new characters. Not that it's a bad thing. xD

I wonder what this major patch will be, though.
Old 2011-07-05, 10:39   Link #6542
TW25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion0101 View Post
Is this going to be in VN format? And regarding the characters, are each of their stories separate or connected together?
Definitely VN format.

I don't think he's mentioned how the stories will connect (or not connect). But if he's considering having a Class Meeting segment at the end, I imagine there will be multiple connections.
TW25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-05, 15:54   Link #6543
TsundereCake
真 ラブ

Might be too early to ask this (and it's probably been asked before) but what the hell:
Is there a chance that Witch Hunt will translate Higanbana at any point? I'll probably buy it anyway just to support Ryukishi, but I'm curious.
Old 2011-07-05, 16:23   Link #6544
Kishin
Hanyuu's #1 Fan

I think witch-hunt said a while back that theyd try to translate future Ryukishi works, but I'm not sure.
Though it makes me wonder, will they keep the name witch-hunt for translating other works? It fits perfectly for Umineko but maybe make a branch name or something for other projects
Old 2011-07-05, 17:19   Link #6545
cereal_killerxx

I'm using Windows 7 64-bit and tried to install the patch for episodes 1-4. I directed it to the downloaded exe file and the installation ran. A few seconds into the installation, it opens up the japanese version of the game and the installation appears to stop. So I close out the japanese game and it automatically goes to installation complete screen.

Then, I open up the patched exe file and it says "Umineko no naku koro ni episode 4. This patch is not installed properly."

What am I doing wrong?
cereal_killerxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-05, 17:55   Link #6546
Cao Ni Ma

You need to use something like applocale to install the game or it wont work right.
Cao Ni Ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-05, 18:06   Link #6547
cereal_killerxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cao Ni Ma View Post
You need to use something like applocale to install the game or it wont work right.
Well, I decided to just use the installer-free version. It seems to work fine. I won't run into any problems with Windows 7 though, will I?
Old 2011-07-05, 18:49   Link #6548
catastrophe8
Self Proclaimed Detective

Has the Higanbana manga been updating? Because I can't find any scanlations after Chapter 5

And Higanbana isn't THAT scary...
catastrophe8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-05, 20:29   Link #6549
Yirba
Spider Lily Translations

This page shows some screenshots of Higanbana, showcasing the game's new art style. I love the way the characters are shaded!

It also appears that the first episode of Higanbana will be called 第一夜 (dai ichiya, The First Night) and the second episode will be called 第二夜 (dai ni-ya, The Second Night). A third episode has not been confirmed.
Yirba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-06, 00:51   Link #6550

Quote:
Originally Posted by cereal_killerxx View Post
I'm using Windows 7 64-bit and tried to install the patch for episodes 1-4. I directed it to the downloaded exe file and the installation ran. A few seconds into the installation, it opens up the japanese version of the game and the installation appears to stop. So I close out the japanese game and it automatically goes to installation complete screen.

Then, I open up the patched exe file and it says "Umineko no naku koro ni episode 4. This patch is not installed properly."

What am I doing wrong?
Are you saying that the English installer executed the Japanese game while the installation was being performed? Or did it execute the downloaded exe? Because if its the latter, that's supposed to happen.

Can you pm me the contents of the install.log file in your game directory? (If it's not there, it's probably in the directory where the English installer is stored.)
Message is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-06, 02:40   Link #6551
cereal_killerxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Message View Post
Are you saying that the English installer executed the Japanese game while the installation was being performed? Or did it execute the downloaded exe? Because if its the latter, that's supposed to happen.

Can you pm me the contents of the install.log file in your game directory? (If it's not there, it's probably in the directory where the English installer is stored.)
It's the first one. It like interrupts the in installation or something.

I decided to just use the installer-free patch. It seems to work fine as far as I can see.
Old 2011-07-06, 09:15   Link #6552
Solachinx
is a myth

Send a message via Skype™ to Solachinx
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalAura View Post
Here's some bullet points.

Higanbana news:
  • He totally underestimated how much character art there was going to be. The main cast is around the same size as the first episode of Umineko, and he's using more varied expressions this time.
  • The first part of Higanbana is rather cruel and grotesque, but the rest of the stories have all sorts of different atmospheres, so there are pleasant stories included too.
  • After seeing some of the screens for Higanbana, I really like how the character designs turned out. There is a noticeable improvement from Umineko, and they look almost nothing like the Higurashi sprites.
  • Yep, after having the manga, the first segment (the one with Marie Moriya) is extraordinarily dark, and after talking to some other readers, they even think it's darker than Higurashi and even Umineko. I think I might agree with them.
Old 2011-07-06, 09:39   Link #6553
victorino123

Well, at least the art is getting better =P
victorino123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-06, 09:43   Link #6554
Meltyred

I prefer the old art for some reason...
I would prefer if the background didn't look like a painting....
Characters I can take, backgrounds...
ugh
Meltyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-06, 09:54   Link #6555
cronnoponno

I read the first parts of the manga as a preview for Hiban, is that the main character? The one who gets shoved in the toilet?

The manga was rather disgusting than scary to me, I can understand trying to portray sympathetic situations and create a good atmosphere. I liked that in Umineko, but this is just...well....what I saw looked like a blatant act of crazy people raping children, kicking the dog(the girl, the protagonist?), shoving her face in feces, everyone treating her like shit, and there just didn't feel to be any point to it other than ''trolololololol'' to her.

But if the series is like Higurashi, it'll supposedly get much deeper later on and you'll realize wtf is going on for the most part. I really don't want to judge it by what I've read since I read a very small amount, but I also don't want to continue to read it if it's going to be nothing but tasteless raping and crap eating of small children.

Guess I'll still try it if it's ever translated, and I look forward to the music.
cronnoponno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-06, 12:55   Link #6556
AlexiaCarcera

I think I like the recent, recent umineko char art (From ep 7,8) more than new Higanbana VN but I sort of like the new shading too.
Old 2011-07-06, 13:55   Link #6557
Yirba
Spider Lily Translations

Quote:
Originally Posted by cronnoponno View Post
and I look forward to the music.
That's something I'm curious about. Has this game ever been referred to as a sound novel? Or is it just a normal visual novel? I'm guessing dai, zts, pre-holder, propanmode, etc. are involved with the music. I wonder if we'll get OPs again…

Speaking of OPs, was the reason for not being able to use AVI (such as in Umineko ep2) with ONScripter-EN due to the inability to distribute codecs or because of limitations of the ONScripter-EN engine itself?
Yirba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-06, 14:25   Link #6558
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv150
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
Onscripter itself has really hard time to deal with AVI format. I don't have the details in my head, but from what I recall, Mion told me it would really be a PITA to fix this issue.
Old 2011-07-06, 14:33   Link #6559
Sonozaki Futagotachi
Translation Group

Hi Yirba,

ONScripter-EN doesn't currently play AVI files. Though we've planned to add support sometime (Japanese ONScripter seems to use libavi to play them, for Linux), we wouldn't be able to distribute codecs ourselves.

Uncle Mion
Sonozaki Futagotachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-06, 15:18   Link #6560
rogerpepitone

Send a message via Yahoo to rogerpepitone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yirba View Post
That's something I'm curious about. Has this game ever been referred to as a sound novel? Or is it just a normal visual novel?
Look at the cover of any volume (I have 4, 6, 8, Tsubasa). It'll say "07th Expansion presents - Sound novel -"
rogerpepitone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
translation