AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2009-06-03, 13:57   Link #1621
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv150
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
No, I explained before that Shannon IS 16. Battler and Gohda confirmed she worked for 10 years in the Ushiromiya household and that Battler said she was working ever since she was 6.

aside of that, jan-poo, i'm not really convinced by THAT gap for rosa and the siblings (or perhaps, not convinced all are already past their fifties): back in episode 3, Eva Beatrice makes fun of Rosa that they were having fun with spiders, and that it was before Rosa was in grade school. I doubt any +20 years old would bother doing this, especially if you consider eva's personallity and "aim" at that time.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2009-06-03 at 14:14.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-03, 16:18   Link #1622
maximilianjenus
[E]

Rosa seems to be close to 40, I think one can use the data of the death of beatrice 20 opr so years ag when rosa was in highschool.
maximilianjenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-03, 16:53   Link #1623
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Yeah it's definitely more than 30 but definitely less than 40, I based this estimation on the fact that in the 1967 Rosa was still in middleschool (although she says she's not sure). So Rosa's age should be between 31-34. The only way you can state that Rosa is older is by questioning her memory (actually Rudolf's memory too, since when Rosa says she was in middle school Rudolf says: "so about 20 years ago").

The other adults's aging are based on Natsuhi's. She said that she had Jessica 12 years after she married (first episode in Kinzo's room after the servant and maria left). that means she married on the year 1956. Since it is also implied that she tried having a child since the beginning, I can't really see how she could be a minor. Well there is a chance she was 18, but that's improbable.
In the end the most probable age is 50+, with Eva (who stated natsuhi is 3 year younger) 53+ and Krauss at least 54+

Of course the age difference between Rosa and Krauss is very huge. I can only assume that Kinzo's wife had Krauss when she was in her first twenties, and she was over 40 when she had Rosa.

EDIT: On a second check Rosa remembers the fact that the family transfered to the island. However the mansion was finished in 1952. How exactly Rosa remembers? She should have been at least 4. So it's either that they transfered a bit later, or Rosa wasn't in middle school but high school.

Last edited by Jan-Poo; 2009-06-03 at 17:54. Reason: doublechecked info about Rosa's age
Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-03, 17:18   Link #1624
momobunny
◔ ◡ ◔
*Artist

I thought Rosa was in middle school in 1967...

momobunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-03, 17:19   Link #1625
Marion
The Great Dine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
No, I explained before that Shannon IS 16. Battler and Gohda confirmed she worked for 10 years in the Ushiromiya household and that Battler said she was working ever since she was 6.

aside of that, jan-poo, i'm not really convinced by THAT gap for rosa and the siblings (or perhaps, not convinced all are already past their fifties): back in episode 3, Eva Beatrice makes fun of Rosa that they were having fun with spiders, and that it was before Rosa was in grade school. I doubt any +20 years old would bother doing this, especially if you consider eva's personallity and "aim" at that time.
Spoiler for EP 3:

Sig by nocco
Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-03, 18:00   Link #1626
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Marion how could they be married only by 10 years if Jessica is 18 years old? Anyway Natsuhi says she had Jessica after 12 years of marriage so they have ben married for 30 years.

And Rosa says middle school, I checked. She says she isn't sure but that she should be around that age. so 12-15 years.

Uhm btw do you think Ryukishi could have made a mistake? It would be strange if he didn't make a time table ;

Old 2009-06-03, 18:14   Link #1627
TheForsaken
Winter is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
The other adults's aging are based on Natsuhi's. She said that she had Jessica 12 years after she married (first episode in Kinzo's room after the servant and maria left). that means she married on the year 1956. Since it is also implied that she tried having a child since the beginning, I can't really see how she could be a minor. Well there is a chance she was 18, but that's improbable.
A woman gets married when she is 18 is not that strange.

Remember what Kinzo told Eva, he said there is no need for her to go to college, all she had to do is marry a man that bring profit to him. And that's not only Kinzo's way of thinking, that is his generation's way of thinking. So it can apply to Natsuhi too, her marriage with Krauss was decided by their famalies anyway. So it's totally possible for Natsuhi to not go to college as well, and got married right after she finished high school.
Old 2009-06-03, 18:21   Link #1628
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

well even if that was the case you could only subtract 2 years from my estimations. You'd have to think she was 15 to see a significant difference

Old 2009-06-03, 18:50   Link #1629
rogerpepitone

Send a message via Yahoo to rogerpepitone
Looking at the ages, I'm reminded of a hypothesis I had a while back:

Spoiler for Epileptic tree:

Also, I think it's mentioned that Krauss is 2 years older than Eva.
rogerpepitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-03, 19:24   Link #1630
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Oh that would make him 5 years older than natsuhi.

Too bad we don't really have any info on Rudolf, however Kyrie's age can be easily narrowed down.

We know that she was working for Rudolf even before he married Asumu and

Spoiler for ep3:

It is not realistic to think she was younger than 18. so Kyries age is 36+ However she also had a child in 1980. And it wouldn't be realistic to think she had it when she was older than 40. So kyrie's age is between 36 and 45, probably 40.

Old 2009-06-03, 19:43   Link #1631
Marion
The Great Dine

Quote:
Marion how could they be married only by 10 years if Jessica is 18 years old? Anyway Natsuhi says she had Jessica after 12 years of marriage so they have ben married for 30 years.

And Rosa says middle school, I checked. She says she isn't sure but that she should be around that age. so 12-15 years.

Uhm btw do you think Ryukishi could have made a mistake? It would be strange if he didn't make a time table ;
I meant at 1967 they were married 10+ years, not in 1986 XD;

As far as it goes though the age differences are really odd. My estimation is that Eva gave birth to George between 20-25. That way by 1986 she can be well into her late 40's, early 50's.

Sig by nocco
Old 2009-06-03, 20:00   Link #1632
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Indeed is odd :/ but my calculations aren't wrong... so the only way to make everything get sense is disregard that sentence that states Natsuhi had Jessica after 12 years of marriage. Could this be a mistake? Here's the exact sentence in both english and japanese:

Spoiler for episode 1:

Old 2009-06-03, 20:17   Link #1633
Marion
The Great Dine

Quote:
Indeed is odd :/ but my calculations aren't wrong... so the only way to make everything get sense is disregard that sentence that states Natsuhi had Jessica after 12 years of marriage. Could this be a mistake? Here's the exact sentence in both english and japanese:

Spoiler for episode 1:
Well it all depends on whether Krauss and Natsuhi tried to have a child since they were married. I imagine that such an assumption would be true, since Krauss is the eldest and to protect his part of the family after Kinzo dies he would need an heir after himself. Natsuhi's delayed pregnancy is also stated as a reason for why Eva kept her surname and place on the hierarchy despite marrying Hideyoshi - because Natsuhi couldn't get pregnant with Krauss's child Kinzo decided to let Eva stay in the family and adopt Hideyoshi as an Ushiromiya, so he could get a grandchild sooner rather than later.

Actually, calculating it from this point of view, because George is 5 years older than Jessica that means Eva probably got married early 1960's, so she could very well be born in the 1940's or late 1930's. I also imagine Rudolf and Eva are close in age, since he got Asumu pregnant with Battler around the same time Natsuhi got pregnant with Jessica - maybe mid-20 or early 30's would be the best estimation for Rudolf's age in 1967.

Sig by nocco
Old 2009-06-03, 21:01   Link #1634
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

It means that it is legally possible, but how many chances there are that Natsuhi actually married at that age? As far as I know there was really no need to rush a wedding. Also Krauss would have been 21 years old, and we know he went to college, unless he is a genius he would be still studying at that age.

Old 2009-06-03, 21:16   Link #1635
ClockWorkAngel
Aspiring Aspirer

Send a message via MSN to ClockWorkAngel
And we certainly know he's not a genius, Eva preformed better in her studies as we know from Ep. 3.

I doubt they married young.

Credit To Risa-chan!
ClockWorkAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-03, 22:39   Link #1636
Marion
The Great Dine

True, but Krauss is also the dutiful son. If you think about it his whole life revolves around keeping the family alive (because that totally works out in the end -shot-). He probably never lived off Rokkenjima, in a permanent residence, since moving onto the island from the mainland. Basically his role as the next in line and technical main family successor is to take care of Kinzo until he dies and then take care of the entire Ushiromiya family itself.

Spoiler for EP 3:

Besides, just because he married Natsuhi didn't mean he had to stop going to university or whatever. Most people get married while in college usually. I'm pretty sure Eva met Hideyoshi in college herself, since he mentions how Eva graduated from her childhood mentality when entering college and meeting him somewhere (I'll find the chapter and look for the quote a little later).

Sig by nocco
Old 2009-06-03, 23:57   Link #1637
TheForsaken
Winter is coming

Quote:
We know that she was working for Rudolf even before he married Asumu and
It's quite contradict with ep 4
Spoiler for ep 4:
Old 2009-06-04, 04:04   Link #1638
k//eternal
do you know ベアトリーチェ様?

Epitaph thought, since I'm going back through EP1 (finally cleaning up the script).

I'm looking at the possibility of "the key" as something directly related to the inheritance. There's a segment that involves everyone's seating order, and Jessica has the rank of #6.

#2 (Krauss) is closest to the head (Kinzo). While you might assume #3 (Eva) is the same distance away, it's specifically stated that Krauss' seat is "the closest". If you assume that both of the "close" ones are torn apart, then that removes Jessica, Krauss, and Kinzo.

With that done, there are only 5 rows left, which are removed by the next several lines.

Maybe it's just a coincidence, but I think coincidence is how everyone's approached the problem anyway, so there's no harm in tossing another one in.
k//eternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-04, 06:22   Link #1639
theacefrehley
Guitar Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheForsaken View Post
It's quite contradict with ep 4
Spoiler for ep 4:
It's only said that she was expelled after getting pregnant by Rudolf
The deal with the Ushiromiya family was to have her have a light punishment
There's nothing about she started working with him after the banishment
Old 2009-06-04, 08:09   Link #1640
TheForsaken
Winter is coming

What I want to say is it's unlikely for Kyrie to work with Rudolf before she got pregnant/got expelled.

Tags
translation