AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-04-12, 17:56   Link #1
catrlgirl
The catgirl

Something with an interesting plot.

I just finished watching NANA and I loved it. My last suggestion thread was a total failure. So now I am looking for something with a deep and interesting plot that pulls you in and holds you. I am looking for something I can really get addicted too. Good music would help too I guess I loved the music from NANA

Other series I liked(in case it helps)

Elfen Leid (Beautifully bloody)
Blood+ (Beautifully bloody and the plot was gripping I loved Saya)
NANA(THE AWESOMENESS)
Strawberry Panic(Finally a Yuri that can not be explained away by Senpai worship or best friends)

Any suggestions?
Old 2008-04-12, 18:06   Link #2
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni is catchy and has a(n) [very] interesting plot. It also has the beautiful bloody of Elfen Lied.
Baccano! is similar to Higurashi no Naku Koro ni and has several intertwining plots that may be a bit difficult to follow, but if you do, it'll be amazing. It also has action and some great characters.
Eh, Code Geass if you don't mind mecha action. It's very catchy, and it was a bit of a roller coaster regarding its plot. It has its ups and downs, and the end failed.

What kind of music are you looking for?
ef ~ a tale of memories has one of the best BGM OSTs I've heard, but I don't think it's similar to NANA.

Maybe Maria-sama ga Miteru? It's like the original that Strawberry Panic! fed off of (though I'm not saying Strawberry Panic! is bad.)
It's not pure yuri, and most of it is implied, so you can't really compare the two.
Old 2008-04-12, 18:29   Link #3
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni. This thread is over.

However, you're looking for deep, interesting, AND pulls you in. Those three are very difficult to go together, and to me, Elfen Lied is really the only one that can do that. Here are my suggestions:

Manabi Straight: Not deep, interesting, pulls you in.
Haibane Renmei: Deep, interesting, boring as hell.
Kino's Journey: Deep, interesting, boring as hell.
REC: Not deep, interesting, pulls you in.
The Place Promised in Our Early Days: Deep, not interesting, pulls you in.
ef - a tale of memories: Deep, interesting, and pulls you in only if you like how the plot is presented.
Bokurano: Not very deep, interesting, pulls you in until you get so depressed that you drop it.
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind: Very deep and meaningful, not interesting, boring as hell.

Pick your poison ~desu.
Old 2008-04-12, 19:15   Link #4
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Well, my first answer to questions like this is usually Monster. For "deep and interesting plot that pulls you in," it has few competitors. However it is 74 episodes long, so once you've been "hooked," you're in for a long ride.

Of current shows I'd nominate Shion no Ou. It takes the growth though gaming story of Hikaru no Go and adds a mystery/horror component as well. My daughter and I are waiting breathlessly for the last five episodes to be subbed.

Of the shows in my signature, the ones I watched immediately when fansubbed episodes became available were Nodame Cantabile, Welcome to the NHK!, Saiunkoku Monogatari, and Seirei no Moribito. All these shows held my attention from start to finish. I also followed Bartender religiously, but that's a series of vignettes without a real underlying plot.

Another nominee is Twelve Kingdoms if you have some patience. It starts slowly but picks up pace rapidly after half-a-dozen episodes or so.

Finally, if you like science fiction, give Noein a try. It has a complex and interesting plot with some terrifically animated fighting sequences. The characters, though mostly middle-schoolers, are quite winning as well.
Old 2008-04-12, 19:20   Link #5
catrlgirl
The catgirl

I can not stand Maria Sama(that one is out)
Haibane I really did not like could not hold my attention but still thanks.
I saw the first episode of of Higurashi doesn't look bad thanks for the suggestion.

thank you for suggestions
Old 2008-04-12, 19:42   Link #6
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Quote:
Originally Posted by catrlgirl View Post
I can not stand Maria Sama(that one is out)
Haibane I really did not like could not hold my attention but still thanks.
I saw the first episode of of Higurashi doesn't look bad thanks for the suggestion.

thank you for suggestions
Well I did say that Haibane Renmei was boring as hell if you're not used to slice-of-life shows. It's really the ending and that moment of epiphany where you will learn to really appreciate it.

And I second SeijiSensei's suggestion of Seirei no Moribito, because even though it isn't that deep, it is damn interesting and addicting until the very end.
Old 2008-04-12, 22:34   Link #7
Kushi

Mmm well there are too many animes/mangas out there with "interesting" plots... and since I'm not too sure what interests you I'll recommend you one that I just recently watched and loved.

Sola - It's about a vampire (not really a vampire but something similiar to it) who's wish is to see the sky.
It has romance, action, comedy and cute girls... what more can you ask for?
Old 2008-04-13, 12:35   Link #8
Navel

If Nana was enjoyable, try the other Yazawa Ai manga inspired anime, Paradise Kiss. This time it's fashion, not music.
Old 2008-04-13, 13:12   Link #9
Viperx

blue drop: tenshi tachi no gikyoku yuri, science fiction
I remember liking the music. The plot was interesting enough to make me watch, not as happy as Strawberry panic though

Last edited by Viperx; 2008-04-13 at 13:13. Reason: spellling
Old 2008-04-13, 13:20   Link #10
DarkDemonz
Zetsubou Demonz

i very liked Nana myself too, was veryyy good ! try Beck Mongolian Chop Squad
its a short series, 24 or 26 episode, forgot which.. its music too, a rock band. These teenagers are trying to get it big, going to clubs and stuff, very good, if you like nana , give this a shot no matter what, you'll like it, well... i did , heh
Old 2008-04-13, 13:53   Link #11
FuzzyWuzzy

I don't get it?
Interesting plot?
Old 2008-04-13, 20:22   Link #12
catrlgirl
The catgirl

where can I watch Beck it sound interesting I can only find Spanish subs for it.
Old 2008-04-13, 20:27   Link #13
Kobukson

Quote:
Originally Posted by catrlgirl View Post
where can I watch Beck it sound interesting I can only find Spanish subs for it.
It's licensed.
Old 2008-04-13, 21:15   Link #14
catrlgirl
The catgirl

oh so i can buy dvd's
Old 2008-04-13, 22:43   Link #15
Saleh
Inactive

If you are going to watch Higurashi no Naku Koru Ni then Higurashi no Naku Koru Ni Kai is a must watch. Also seconding Blue Drop: Tenshi Tachi no Gikyoku and Ef.

You may be a bit disappointed in the end if you pick up Shion no Ou for its murder mystery and horror aspect so think of it only as a moderate version of Hikaru no go. Hatenkou Yuugi from Studio Deen (highly underrated) may be a bit more interesting series with its great leads, subtle plot and deep philosophical aspects (even though manga is better than anime). You will like True tears (It has a nice story and a really interesting ending) if you liked Ef.
Old 2008-04-13, 23:58   Link #16
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleh View Post
If you are going to watch Higurashi no Naku Koru Ni then Higurashi no Naku Koru Ni Kai is a must watch. Also seconding Blue Drop: Tenshi Tachi no Gikyoku and Ef.

You may be a bit disappointed in the end if you pick up Shion no Ou for its murder mystery and horror aspect so think of it only as a moderate version of Hikaru no go. Hatenkou Yuugi from Studio Deen (highly underrated) may be a bit more interesting series with its great leads, subtle plot and deep philosophical aspects (even though manga is better than anime). You will like True tears (It has a nice story and a really interesting ending) if you liked Ef.
Yes, if you watch Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, its sequel will be simply amazing.
Eh, in my opinion, Hatenkou Yuugi was a less deep, more "fun" Kino's Journey. Of course, if you're saying Studio DEEN is highly underrated, then I approve.
I haven't read the manga at all, but I'm assuming that it explains a lot of stuff more clearly, especially regarding the main characters.

And I wouldn't compare True Tears and ef. True Tears is more of the kind of "interesting story" you're looking for, it's a harem anime with a different type of drama, your generic male lead, and it's more "gripping" than ef is. ef is more boring in my opinion, but it's an artistic and symbolic anime based with themes like fulfilling dreams and searching for purpose as opposed to True Tears' "flying".

OP would probably like True Tears more.
Old 2009-02-24, 22:52   Link #17
catrlgirl
The catgirl

Hi all I am back for more suggestions for the same I actually did not hate beck but it is proving to not capture me as much as NANA. (I don;t think anyhting will be that good again) So is there anyhting else you can suggest for me please?
Old 2009-02-24, 23:05   Link #18
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

There are a lot more suggestions in this thread that you haven't mentioned. Did you watch any of those? What did you like?
Old 2009-02-24, 23:13   Link #19
catrlgirl
The catgirl

The issue seems to mostly be pacing the ones I hated were mostly pacing and plot issues. Higurashi I found just stupid I like a straight linear plot not a circular one where it gets confusing. Haibane renmei was good but could not follow it moved to slowly. Ef was similar it felt like I was forcing myself to watch it.

The ones I like were perfectly paced and addicted me with lovable and interesting characters and a solid followable plot.

I liked
Blue Drop
Beck
Paradise Kiss (Was beautiful)

Hated (With a burnign hellish Passion)
Higurashi (found it stupid and did not frighten me)

Liked but dropped
Ef (too slow)
Haibane Renmei
Old 2009-02-25, 00:27   Link #20
Rawgers
Nyaa~

Kaiba has a nice, interesting plot. The series starts out extremely confusing, you do not know anything, but it starts to reveal itself throughout the twelve episodes. The animation is just strange, in a good way, and it has pretty nice music. For the actual story, it is about a man with a hole in his stomach who has lost his memories. He barely speaks (in the beginning) but interacts with many different type of people. Slowly and slowly he starts to find out who he was.
Closed Thread