AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2008-04-13, 14:49   Link #1
Gemstar
Banned

Gigabit ethernet

I was wondering how do I implement a Gigabit ethernet based network onto my computer, and what cabling and network equipement is required example hubs,routers NIC ?
Gemstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-13, 14:59   Link #2
Ledgem
Love Yourself

For your computer, all you need to do is buy a gigabit ethernet card (or NIC - network interface card), like this one. Your regular ethernet cables will be fine. The device you connect to (whether it's a router, a hub, or another computer) needs to also support gigabit. Look for products that support 10/100/1000 connections (the 1000 indicates gigabit support).

Note that if your computer tries to send to any device along the network that does not support gigabit, the transfer will only go as fast as that device can support. If the other device can only do 100 mbps, your computer will only be able to send to it at 100 mbps.
Old 2008-04-13, 15:20   Link #3
Epyon9283
Geek

Send a message via ICQ to Epyon9283 Send a message via AIM to Epyon9283
Make sure you have either cat5e or cat6 cabling. Use cat6 for longer runs.
Epyon9283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-13, 17:58   Link #4
Sci-Fi

Just to add...your exisiting RJ-45 Cat 5, 5e, or 6 cables will work fine. All you need is a gigabit router (most come with 4 ports), gigabit NIC cards, and maybe a gigabit switch (not hub) for longer runs (I use a switch every 100 feet although the max length is 100 meters or 328 ft for one continuous length) or if you like to do LAN parties and need more available ports so everybody can hook up.

I prefer Intel NIC's, although higher in price, has 9K Jumbo frames support, x64 compatible, OS neutral (latest drivers can be d/l'ed from Intel), and a more consistent throughput rate than lower priced cards.
Sci-Fi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-13, 21:08   Link #5
Gemstar
Banned

I want to create an automatic failover system for my file servers, how do I do that ?
Gemstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-13, 21:20   Link #6
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Just a quick observation that upgrading your internal network to gigabit won't have any effect on your Internet speeds. It's highly unlikely you'll have a connection faster than 100 Mbit to the Internet any time soon. You'll be able to transfer files internally ten times fast after the upgrade, but you won't see any increase in Internet transfers.

@Gemstar: That question is not only offtopic for this thread, but also way too complex to address in an anime forum. Try a Google search for "server clustering" as a start.