AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

View Poll Results: Are these pads same or not?
yeah. 1 25.00%
absolutely not. 3 75.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2008-04-17, 09:49   Link #1
wnmnkh
Not that simple.

Lesson learned, again.

Here are my DT990s headphones and the pads. Very nice headphones if you ask me; price is not bad (around mere 250~300$), sound great, and the comfort is great as well. I also have the DT880s (which are sold in higher price despite the fact that the DT990s are the top of the DT series. People tend to value the DT880s higher)

So the story is; I used the DT880s for years (since early 2006), and the pads were failing due to usages. And I also ordered the DT990s, which use same pads. I definitely needed some replacement pads for these two headphones.

So I searched some sellers with reputation, and most of them are selling Beyerdynamic replacement pads, but I did not find anything DT880/DT990 pads, instead I could see DT770 pads. Most of them are saying that these pads are for high end DT series (which means DT770/880/990) and are saying that those pads surely fit for all of these headphones. So I bought three pairs.

They are arrived, and I replaced pads of the DT880 with one of replacement pads. They fit as well as the websites described. But I immediately noticed unusual strong bass on the DT880, which should not happen at all. But I figured since these pads were new, so they may needed some time to get soften.

And my DT990 had arrived, and I listened.... and I found out that the bass was not as strong as the DT880. Of course, very strange and unusualy since like 99% of reviews are saying that bass in the DT990s is much stronger than that of the DT880s.

I just asked on the headphones forum, and one of members asked if I use leather pads instead of stock velour pads. Even though the answer is no, I realized that there is something on those replacement pads. What I did was simply exchange the replacement pads and the stock pads with the DT990s to the DT880s.

Well, just to say, they are virtually identical. Yes, size, color, materials use, and feel are just same (as you saw on the picture).....

....and yay! They are not same at all! The sound signature completely changed. With DT990 pads, the DT880s sound exactly same as they have done for two years. With replacement pads on DT990, the bass response got much worse to the point that the sound is too muddy to listen. I meticulously investigated the pads, and found out that there is some kind of damping material inside of the replacement pads.

So yeah, there goes 75 bucks.

What I figured out later was that most of venders of these headphones also think that these replacement pads are for all of high end DT series. You know, the appearance is virtually same, and there is no reason to carry separate items which are same, right?

It seems there is only single company carring the DT880/990 pads I needed, and it would be difficult to get.

So the moral of the story is, do not think that something is same as others just because the looks, appearance, and feel are same. Yeah. Test them, carefully watch things and you may find they are utterly different creatures after all.
Old 2008-04-17, 21:53   Link #2
Ledgem
Love Yourself

The real lesson is, never trust what the sellers on eBay say regardless of their reputation
Old 2008-04-18, 01:17   Link #3
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
The real lesson is, never trust what the sellers on eBay say regardless of their reputation
But if you don't trust what they say, how are you able to buy stuffs there? Maybe... only buy something inexpensive and easily identifiable with picture on eBay.

The above two pads look exactly the same to me, but maybe it's because of the angle, I find one pad slightly flatter than the other. Otherwise, the first thought that came across my mind was... they looks dirty (whether or not they actually are ).

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga
teachopvutru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-18, 01:35   Link #4
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiachopvutru View Post
But if you don't trust what they say, how are you able to buy stuffs there? Maybe... only buy something inexpensive and easily identifiable with picture on eBay.

The above two pads look exactly the same to me, but maybe it's because of the angle, I find one pad slightly flatter than the other. Otherwise, the first thought that came across my mind was... they looks dirty (whether or not they actually are ).
In my opinion, they're only really trustworthy if they have very little reputation as a seller and they've sold really random things. In that case you can pretty safely assume that they're a regular person just selling things that they had around or didn't need anymore.

If you're dealing with someone selling hundreds of the same thing, they're getting them from somewhere. A lot of the stuff on eBay is either refurbished, second-hand, or counterfeit - in other words, there's a good chance that you're getting junk. It's not always the case, and you could still get junk from a regular person as well, but in my experience it's been a bit less likely. Counterfeits are nearly impossible to tell apart until you use them (and in most cases notice their worse performance or durability). I'll buy things like batteries, remote controls, and other basic, non-essential items from eBay. Everything else is a gamble. I've bought a refurbished Roomba that's been running great; I've fought with a seller or two over cellphones (I won't buy cellphones from eBay anymore). Generally, if it's something critical, go with a trusted reseller or get it from the source. There's no way in hell I'd buy something like RAM from eBay, whether it's from a small seller or not.
Old 2008-04-18, 01:45   Link #5
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:
In my opinion, they're only really trustworthy if they have very little reputation as a seller and they've sold really random things. In that case you can pretty safely assume that they're a regular person just selling things that they had around or didn't need anymore.

If you're dealing with someone selling hundreds of the same thing, they're getting them from somewhere. A lot of the stuff on eBay is either refurbished, second-hand, or counterfeit - in other words, there's a good chance that you're getting junk. It's not always the case, and you could still get junk from a regular person as well, but in my experience it's been a bit less likely. Counterfeits are nearly impossible to tell apart until you use them (and in most cases notice their worse performance or durability). I'll buy things like batteries, remote controls, and other basic, non-essential items from eBay. Everything else is a gamble. I've bought a refurbished Roomba that's been running great; I've fought with a seller or two over cellphones (I won't buy cellphones from eBay anymore). Generally, if it's something critical, go with a trusted reseller or get it from the source. There's no way in hell I'd buy something like RAM from eBay, whether it's from a small seller or not.
Yup. For me on ebay, i'm mostly a carbon copy buyer, so it's mostly things that aren't really bootlegged like magazines and suches ^^.

ps: I cannot see the 2nd image so I cannot compare them at th moment.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-18, 06:55   Link #6
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
So the moral of the story is, do not think that something is same as others just because the looks, appearance, and feel are same. Yeah. Test them, carefully watch things and you may find they are utterly different creatures after all.
The worst of it all over here is that most retail shops won't let you test the headphones. I'm not kidding, I've argued pretty badly with some store managers. Only once I got to test them (and thank Jeebus I did, those headphones were a piece of crap).

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-18, 13:33   Link #7
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Couldn't have said it any better which is the reason i dont buy from Ebay EVER!! better safe than sorry.
Old 2008-04-18, 13:50   Link #8
kayos
RETIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
i dont buy from Ebay EVER!! better safe than sorry.
I'm with you there, although I do have an ebay account but I've never used it... seems tempting at times.

Here's a story about an associate of mine. He sold his xbox on ebay, the buyer transfered the money into his account. I'm not sure how many days later but when the buyer received the console (or knew it was mailed out) he withdrew the money back... I haven't heard the end of the story so I'm not sure how he resolved it.
kayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-18, 18:21   Link #9
Epyon9283
Geek

Send a message via ICQ to Epyon9283 Send a message via AIM to Epyon9283
I've sold stuff on ebay but I've never purchased anything. Way too easy for people to screw you over IMO.
Epyon9283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-19, 16:59   Link #10
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~

Quote:
Oh, it's a bit different from what I originally thought you had meant. I was having an impression of "never buy stuffs from eBay," (<---and some would probably agree with it) or something along that line. Otherwise, I agree with only buying non-essential items there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoie_Emesai View Post
ps: I cannot see the 2nd image so I cannot compare them at th moment.
Ahaha... after this post I just realized that there was a second picture in the blank space in the middle of first post.... I originally thought that he was asking us to compare the two pads in the first picture... Stupid me =/

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga
teachopvutru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-21, 21:38   Link #11
wnmnkh
Not that simple.

....They are not from Ebay. I never say 'reputation' on anything about Ebay. :/ Ebay is usually very last, desperate choice for buy.

Those pads are genuine, they are not fake. My point is that those pads are for different headphones, but people (including dealers) are confused and think that they are the same things (and put only one kind on their sites.)

Oh well, since my current favorite ones are K701/HD650/SA3000 now, I really don't mind one of my DTs pads missing..... for now.