AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels

Notices

Old 2009-03-20, 14:03   Link #881
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish eric View Post
Toradora was the first LN I read. I don't know anything about its popularity. I like the show and I enjoy reading the book. What I was trying to say was I think the style was lost in translation.

The only other LN I've read so far is Haruhi. I havn't touched Index before. Is it that bad?
In many translations, the poetry of the language and author's style gets lost - usually because translators are going for basic literal translations rather than evoking the style of the author.

What is needed (and hard to find) are translators who are also *writers* who understand how to deconstruct writing in order to bring across as much of the original flavor, nuance, and character intent as possible.
...without injecting too much of their own baggage.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-20, 14:19   Link #882
apr
Pedestrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
In many translations, the poetry of the language and author's style gets lost - usually because translators are going for basic literal translations rather than evoking the style of the author.

What is needed (and hard to find) are translators who are also *writers* who understand how to deconstruct writing in order to bring across as much of the original flavor, nuance, and character intent as possible.
...without injecting too much of their own baggage.
They're called pros. Try Brave Story.

Edit: In the fan translators' defence, novels like Zero no Tsukaima and Full Metal Panic have pretty shitty prose to begin with. Seems it's totally okay to be an amateur to publish light novels, as long as the story is entertaining.
Old 2009-03-21, 05:43   Link #883
Atlarax

Quote:
Originally Posted by apr View Post

Edit: In the fan translators' defence, novels like Zero no Tsukaima and Full Metal Panic have pretty shitty prose to begin with. Seems it's totally okay to be an amateur to publish light novels, as long as the story is entertaining.
don't forget about the cute characters in the illustration inserts

i bet half of those novels won't even get half as much attention if they were published without pictures
Atlarax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-21, 11:18   Link #884
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by apr View Post

Sorry, I've been a "professional" engineer and written and reviewed shelves of stuff for a few decades ... getting paid for your work does not automagically make you competent. Spent too many years watching "pros" be completely incompetent or brilliant irrespective of their experience or status. Seen amateur and 'gratis' work that was brilliant as well as awful. My forays into translation and reviewing translation (both professionally and personally) hasn't altered that assessment.

"Pro" status is simply not a meaningful metric for assessment in any field. And, the ZnT and FMP original authors are "pros" -- under contract, got paid, yet their prose lacked.
Old 2009-03-21, 11:54   Link #885
fish eric
like to talk to fish?

Quote:
Sorry, I've been a "professional" engineer and written and reviewed shelves of stuff for a few decades ... getting paid for your work does not automagically make you competent. Spent too many years watching "pros" be completely incompetent or brilliant irrespective of their experience or status. Seen amateur and 'gratis' work that was brilliant as well as awful. My forays into translation and reviewing translation (both professionally and personally) hasn't altered that assessment.

"Pro" status is simply not a meaningful metric for assessment in any field. And, the ZnT and FMP original authors are "pros" -- under contract, got paid, yet their prose lacked.

Hmm I think you are qualified to rewrite Toradora! for us Vexx. Try to have volumes 1-3 in by friday mmkay?

oh and vexx. im gonna need you to come in on Saturday mmkay?

fish eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-21, 12:14   Link #886
apr
Pedestrian

Quote:
While pros aren't always great, it's quite likely that if a person is good enough to fit into your criteria of "translators who are also *writers*" they have already gone pro, rather than waste their time on fan translations.

And yes, I realize there may be qualified people who have completely different careers and enjoy translating as a hobby in their spare time, but how rare are they.
Old 2009-03-22, 00:02   Link #887
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Well, I did personally translate a ZnT chapter (from Chinese to English).

1) Double translations can result in lost meanings. I'm very aware of that.
2) The chapter was VERY descriptive. I felt that I was doing a very cheap version of what Tolkien did in LOTR. Emphasis on "VERY CHEAP".

RIP, Oba-chan (1935-2008)
yezhanquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-23, 13:14   Link #888
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Bear in mind, the writer wants her audience to use their imagination more. This is feeling I get from her novels.
Old 2009-03-23, 20:20   Link #889
fish eric
like to talk to fish?

This was from Roan quite a few pages back and I have been thinking of this. The last part where Ami is being a bitch to Kitamura. Does she really not like him anymore? I can't tell if she is joking or not.

Ami (while crying): ....Do you think that Taiga wants to see me again too?

Ryuuji: You have to think that you want to see her. If you need her, and it's not about her needing you, say it. Show it by your actions. The only one that can express what you're thinking is yourself..... You have to move for your own sake!

Ami: I.....I wanna to see Taiga again! I wanna be here when Taiga comes back! I wanna be better friends with Minori-chan! I wanna make up with Takasu-kun too! .....I don't wanna stop being friends! I want to be friends forever! I want to have fun with everyone, I want to be with everyone, I love everyone....!

Kitamura: What about me!?"

Ami: I don't give a damn about Yuusaku!

Does anyone know?
Old 2009-03-23, 20:37   Link #890
apr
Pedestrian

Quote:
This was from Roan quite a few pages back and I have been thinking of this. The last part where Ami is being a bitch to Kitamura. Does she really not like him anymore? I can't tell if she is joking or not.

Ami: I don't give a damn about Yuusaku!

Does anyone know?
She's just being her usual self toward Yuusaku, and there's nothing special about this exchange.
Old 2009-03-23, 20:38   Link #891
typhonsentra

It's probably meant to be a joke as they've known each other for a long time but I still love that line. She laughs in his face when he's going through his rebellious stage too.
typhonsentra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-24, 04:14   Link #892
fish eric
like to talk to fish?

ok, i just couldn't tell if something had happened between them, or if she disliked him because of the whole sumire thing.

its cool that she is finnaly feeling like she belongs to this group.
Old 2009-03-26, 17:30   Link #893
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Whatever her skills overall as an author are, Yuyuko Takemiya comes up with a lot of *great* lines of dialog and prose.
Old 2009-03-28, 04:04   Link #894
Keio
Serious Business

To anyone that has read volume 10, did Ryuuji's dad really run away with another woman (as mentioned in the anime)? Or did he really become fish bait?
Keio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-28, 05:12   Link #895
apr
Pedestrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keio View Post
To anyone that has read volume 10, did Ryuuji's dad really run away with another woman (as mentioned in the anime)? Or did he really become fish bait?
It's never disclosed. Ryuuji decides it's not the time to ask his mother about it yet.
Old 2009-03-30, 03:17   Link #896
fish eric
like to talk to fish?

Does anyone have any thoughts on why JC staff changed the novel ending in the anime? Thats really the only big change they made for the entire series.

Its seems that not just me, but alot of people who really liked the episode thought that the one year separation was just too weird.

Im just wondering that if this is the only significant change they made than surely they would have had a reason for doing so. But im just not seeing what it could be.
Old 2009-03-30, 03:24   Link #897
hyl
sneaking like a cat

Quote:
Does anyone have any thoughts on why JC staff changed the novel ending in the anime? Thats really the only big change they made for the entire series.

Its seems that not just me, but alot of people who really liked the episode thought that the one year separation was just too weird.

Im just wondering that if this is the only significant change they made than surely they would have had a reason for doing so. But im just not seeing what it could be.
Probably because the last novel was released somewhere in the middle of march. I am sure that JC staff only had the outline of the last novel to work with.
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-30, 03:34   Link #898
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Just to emphasize, hyl's post is correct -- the JC team had only an outline to work with and some aspects in the final draft of the novel may have changed after they got that outline. The director mentioned they'd gotten an outline in a January interview (don't have the link handy but it was posted in this subforum).

The outline may have said "one year later" for all we know....
Old 2009-03-30, 05:12   Link #899
fish eric
like to talk to fish?

thats a good thought. although if you figure the novel had to have been done well before it was released due to editing, printing, shipping, etc. they would only have had to reanimated the last 5 minutes.

They would have had ample time to reanimate the last 5 minutes or so and still they could have used some of the existing animation.

granted they may have just said fuck it! why bother with just 5 more minutes?
Old 2009-04-01, 12:55   Link #900
oompa loompa

question about the content from the novels : is it ever revealed what ryuuji does after he graduates in the novels?
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light novels, shounen