AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2009-03-06, 04:04   Link #321
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
That's 3 so I guess that qualifies for several....?
Well now yes, i guess you do have a point.

Quote:
And yep those were all awe-inspiring games, esp. the Sierra Quest series which I own all of in its entirety. But guess what all those games wereon ? You guessed it PC, the market Japan never really tried to fight for. All the other games I mentioned were HUGE successes ON CONSOLES. Which if you actually read instead of jumping gun you would of seen.
Uhm prince of persa and another world had quite a big success even on consolle, not to mention the various disney games. Anyway PC games have quite a long history, and surely japan dominated the consolle market, however they still do, but that doesn't change the fact that PC games sell a lot more.

Quote:
. Serious...? You find me a link that shows me any indication that KOF tournaments are even CLOSE to the fan frenzy, and successfulness of Star-craft in its mulit-million dollar take in, and I'll say you win in everything I have said. And I guess you don't follow my links because I just realized I linked the wrong thing, here's the proof
What about this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzQ2nai7E9Q

There are many other videos related you can watch, these are taken from Korean KOF tournaments. As you can understand they are covered like sport matches.

Starcraft is certain the number one, but you are wrong if you think that's the only one. Anyway i dunno exactly how all this proves your point.
Then if you were to tell me that in the past there was a japanese game and now there's starcraft that would make sense, but afaik the netplay didn't even exist before PC came into play.

That apart aren't we missing the point here? So far we have been talking about gaming in general terms, but didn't the whole discussion started about Mortal Kombat and other 1vs1 beat'em up? Mortal Kombat apart (whose success has been already faded imho) is there any competion at all? Do japanese companies need to "westernize" themselves to please this particularly targeted audience, or ar they doing fine?

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-11, 18:13   Link #322
JubeiYamazaki

Send a message via AIM to JubeiYamazaki
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Uhm prince of persa and another world had quite a big success even on consolle, not to mention the various disney games. Anyway PC games have quite a long history, and surely japan dominated the consolle market, however they still do, but that doesn't change the fact that PC games sell a lot more.
Again I'll show you my post:
"the only spot western games have thrived was in the PC department because for the most part a majority of western games for consoles SUCKED HARD outside of sport series, with that 1 or 2 gem in the sea of japanese games"

BTW most of those Disney games... Japanese developers.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disney's_Magical_Quest
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disney'...in_(video_game)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disney'...g_Mickey_Mouse

But what happens when western devs back then got their hands on a mega hot franchise? Shit like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zelda's_Adventure

As for the PC outselling consoles, that's not what we're discussing. The PC market could be 99% PC and 1% console but thats NOT the point BUT the point is that 1% is Japan's dominated market, and the PC's is the wests. But the issue is that western devs are pushing in on that 1% and taking strong steady ground. And thats why you've got things like RE4/5, Lost Planet, Dead Rising and other games. It wasn't until last gen that western devs started putting out really high quality/mainstream games on console.

Quote:
What about this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzQ2nai7E9Q
There are many other videos related you can watch, these are taken from Korean KOF tournaments. As you can understand they are covered like sport matches.

Starcraft is certain the number one, but you are wrong if you think that's the only one. Anyway i dunno exactly how all this proves your point.
Then if you were to tell me that in the past there was a japanese game and now there's starcraft that would make sense, but afaik the netplay didn't even exist before PC came into play.
So.... where did I say that SC is the only gaming competition in Korea..........?

Cause I never said that. I did say this though:
"They're never has been anything not at the level of SC in Korea.

Again the burden of proof is on you, showing me something remotely close to the popularity level or media frenzy that is SC in Korea. And thats really not the point you're getting. People who know about KOF tournaments, SBO, Tekken etc. etc. are people within those communities.... SC is mainstreamed, people who don't know shit about SC or see the strategy behind it line up in droves to support their team or player. You barely see shit like that in big fighting game tournaments, and its NEVER at the level of SC fanboys/fangirls.

Quote:
That apart aren't we missing the point here? So far we have been talking about gaming in general terms, but didn't the whole discussion started about Mortal Kombat and other 1vs1 beat'em up? Mortal Kombat apart (whose success has been already faded imho) is there any competion at all? Do japanese companies need to "westernize" themselves to please this particularly targeted audience, or ar they doing fine?
The point was that a western game as old as SC swept an Asia country to a level that Japan could never get or any company for that matter. And as more western franchises keep popping up and having big success on consoles Japan needs to adapt to it. From a business standpoint they need to do what they have to in order to compete with western devs. Personally if a game is good its good. But I will say this though , I don't play any overly animed out game anymore, nor do I bother checking it out. Only time I'll buy those type of games is if one of my friends tells me if its cool or not. As you grow older you have less and less time on your hands and sometimes you want to go through it and call it a day I think thats going to be the biggest thing in terms of change when it comes to Japanese stuff.
JubeiYamazaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-11, 19:32   Link #323
Nosauz

SOOOO how was this game? did superman bleed? if so what was the story behind it? All characters now have their clothes infused with kryptonite? fatalities on superman possible? also any surprises when it came to characters? tooo much of this thread to sift
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-12, 13:58   Link #324
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
SOOOO how was this game?
This game is definitely one of the best, if not the best, installment in the Mortal Kombat franchise. This, along with MK2 and Deadly Alliance, actually has a decent gameplay engine with some depth to it.

Quote:
did superman bleed?
Yes, Superman does bleed. This is a Mortal Kombat game, so that is to be expected.

Quote:
if so what was the story behind it?
Basically, it involves the merger of two worlds (one for DC and one for MK) as a result of a collision caused by Dark Kahn (Darkseid and Shao Kahn fused into one being). His presence alone, causes both worlds to undergo a state of flux (instability if you will) which allows for them to collide and merge in the first place.

As you may or may not know, a lot of DC characters are susceptible/vulnerable to magic, a power that a lot of MK characters possess. This explains how the MK side can actually compete with the DC side. What drives these two sides to fight? It is the influence of Dark Kahn himself. He thrives off of chaos, hatred, anger, and rage, and he manipulates both sides to destroy each other by acting out on such evil emotions.

Quote:
fatalities on superman possible?
Yes, fatalities on Superman are possible. Here's how the fatality system works in this game. The whole MK cast and DC villains have fatalities, whereas the DC heroes have "Heroic Brutalities" since they don't kill people.

Quote:
also any surprises when it came to characters?
I'm not sure what you mean by this. Can you elaborate a little?
Old 2009-03-13, 01:10   Link #325
Vikitehwaffu

Quote:
As you may or may not know, a lot of DC characters are susceptible/vulnerable to magic, a power that a lot of MK characters possess. This explains how the MK side can actually compete with the DC side. What drives these two sides to fight? It is the influence of Dark Kahn himself. He thrives off of chaos, hatred, anger, and rage, and he manipulates both sides to destroy each other by acting out on such evil emotions.
No, it's the merger of the two worlds that are strengthening MK and weakening most of DC characters. Joker isn't really a fighter, but the merger made him stronger in teh game storywise.

Characters like Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel are definitely NOT weak to magic at all. And the story sucked, it had bad characterization as well for DC and MK and stiff acting from both sides.

Also, it felt cheap production wise considering the endings and lol big fight cut away between the two groups.
Vikitehwaffu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-13, 02:49   Link #326
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikitehwaffu View Post
No, it's the merger of the two worlds that are strengthening MK and weakening most of DC characters. Joker isn't really a fighter, but the merger made him stronger in teh game storywise.
Wrong, the DC characters are not weaked, at the contrarie, they're power up by the "rage" as well as the MK characters.

Quote:
Characters like Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel are definitely NOT weak to magic at all.
They are weak to magic, must remind you what is what all their foes use to fight them? Specially Wonder Woman' enemies.

Quote:
And the story sucked, it had bad characterization as well for DC and MK and stiff acting from both sides.
Actually, all reviews, all players and all fans claim that the story is the greatest aspect of this game because this is the first crossover that explains why the worlds are being fused. Not like Capcom vs MARVEL or SNK vs Capcom which do not explain anything.

The characters are very well characterisated, specially some ones like The Joker, Catwoman, Scorpion, Jax and Batman.

Quote:
Also, it felt cheap production wise considering the endings and lol big fight cut away between the two groups.
Blame the DC comics writters and artists, they made the guion and art of the endings.
The final fight get cut becasue is here when all ending take diferent paths

Conclusion: You just get pwned buddy

Old 2009-03-13, 17:15   Link #327
Vikitehwaffu

Not really. Captain Marvel is powered by magic abilities. Just because they can be hurt by big enough magic, doesn't mean WEAKNESS. That's more Superman and Batman being vulnerable to magic.

For example, a normal person punches me. I am hurt. Doesn't mean I am weak to punches though.

And I see no pwnage here. DC characters are still being scaled down considerably.
And I laughed at the story. The GRIMDARK story was more funny honestly.
Old 2009-03-13, 21:43   Link #328
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikitehwaffu View Post
Not really. Captain Marvel is powered by magic abilities. Just because they can be hurt by big enough magic, doesn't mean WEAKNESS. That's more Superman and Batman being vulnerable to magic.
So far I remember, they only pointed that Superman was weak to magic, not the entire DC rooster.

Quote:
For example, a normal person punches me. I am hurt. Doesn't mean I am weak to punches though.
Do you realise we are speaking of a videogam, not live action?

Quote:
And I see no pwnage here. DC characters are still being scaled down considerably.
What do you wanted? Superman winning with only 2 punches? They need to be "scaled down" (I add the " because I don't sense them scaled down in power, the MK characters are very strong too). In order to give a good gameplay.

Quote:
And I laughed at the story. The GRIMDARK story was more funny honestly.
What is GRIMDARK? We're speaking of MK-vs-DC, not comparing it with other things.
Old 2009-03-15, 07:35   Link #329
Catnips

This game is just fine...
Catnips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-15, 23:25   Link #330
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

In the mk forums we had been discussing a bit about the characters in relation that the espesific rooster of MK has their "equals" in the CD side.

These are the "especulations"

Superman _ Raiden= Overall, the strongest heroes in each side
Deathstroke _ Kano= Merecenaries and both had an eye missing.
Shang Tsung _ Shazam= Both are mystics and seem to have some kind of "oriental" style in their clothes.
Wonder Woman _ Kitana= Botha are princess of a mistyc kingdom.
Jax _ Lex Luthor= Use of technology as weapon, plus both are bald XD
Sonya _ Catwoman= Most bad-ass girls of each side
Joker _ Scorpion= Botha are the most iconic Villans of each side.
Shao Khan _ Darkseid= Big, bad villans and both want to invade earth.

These are the pairs so far "asepted", this leave us:

Liu Kang, Sub-Zero and Baraka (MK) with Green Lantern, The Flash and Batman (DC)

What do you think?
Old 2009-03-18, 14:55   Link #331
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Rick View Post
Superman _ Raiden= Overall, the strongest heroes in each side
I agree. They both have that leadership role as well.

Quote:
Deathstroke _ Kano= Merecenaries and both had an eye missing.
Perfect match. In addition to their appearances and occupations, they fight like ordinary humans and don't have crazy magical powers.

Quote:
Shang Tsung _ Shazam= Both are mystics and seem to have some kind of "oriental" style in their clothes.
I don't think this is a good pairing. The fact that Shang Tsung is a ruthless villain and Shazam is a super hero is enough to set them apart. They don't seem to be remotely similar in any way.

Quote:
Wonder Woman _ Kitana= Botha are princess of a mistyc kingdom.
Agreed. This is one of the best pairings, if not the best pairing. It makes perfect sense.

Quote:
Jax _ Lex Luthor= Use of technology as weapon, plus both are bald XD
In those aspects you mentioned, yes they are similar. But beyond that, they don't share any similarities at all. Their personalities are completely different and Lex Luthor is not a good fighter without his technology, whereas Jax can still hold his own very well without any enhancements. Not the best pairing, but if there had to be anyone somewhat compatible with Lex Luthor, it would be Jax.

Quote:
Sonya _ Catwoman= Most bad-ass girls of each side
Bad-ass in what sense? Their attitudes? The way they fight? Even then, it's really subjective. Personally, I don't think this is a good pairing. Sonya's alignment has always been good, whereas Catwoman has gone all over the place from being good, to neutral, to bad. However, since neither of them are princesses and are the only other two females in this game, a pairing between them does seem to be the most logical.

Quote:
Joker _ Scorpion= Botha are the most iconic Villans of each side.
Scorpion is not a villain. He is neutral and he always has been. Moreover, their personalities are vastly different. This pairing doesn't work no matter how you look at it.

Quote:
Shao Khan _ Darkseid= Big, bad villans and both want to invade earth.
Agreed. Nothing else needs to be said. They are both conquerors and they wish to rule unopposed.

Quote:
These are the pairs so far "asepted", this leave us:

Liu Kang, Sub-Zero and Baraka (MK) with Green Lantern, The Flash and Batman (DC)

What do you think?
Sub-Zero and Batman seem to go pretty well since they are both loners and they act in secrecy and mystery.

The other four characters simply don't match though. As you can see, not all of the characters match well with others in this game.

Hey Evil Rick, have you gotten this game yet? If you have, we should play some matches some time.
Old 2009-03-19, 02:17   Link #332
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
Hey Evil Rick, have you gotten this game yet? If you have, we should play some matches some time.
Aghhh.... why you have to summon my worst nightmare? No I don't have it because I don't even have either a 360 or a PS3! D: I'm gonna turn emo

Ehemmm... "recovers from emo shock"

Speaking of the pairings, yeah, your points are right, but thosde where the especulations. (Some one though on Joker-Baraka becauase of the smile )

Anyway, I have some good news, it seem that Midway is getting out of his economis problems and the idea of selling MK is getting even less and less probable.

Resently Midway revealed that the MK team is working 99% on the next MK (The 1% is working on the DLC for MK-vs-DC ) They even gave a clue, the new MK is gonna have more dieties that in previews MKs, so far the only "gods" on the game were Raiden (God of Thunder), Fujin (God of wind) and Shinok (Former Elder God), It seems that the new MK is gonna bring more"Gods" as playable characters
Old 2009-03-19, 15:14   Link #333
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Anyway, I have some good news, it seem that Midway is getting out of his economis problems and the idea of selling MK is getting even less and less probable.

Resently Midway revealed that the MK team is working 99% on the next MK (The 1% is working on the DLC for MK-vs-DC ) They even gave a clue, the new MK is gonna have more dieties that in previews MKs, so far the only "gods" on the game were Raiden (God of Thunder), Fujin (God of wind) and Shinok (Former Elder God), It seems that the new MK is gonna bring more"Gods" as playable characters
I don't know about this. I'm pretty skeptical about Midway getting out of its economic problem that easily. MK vs DC clearly wasn't enough to get them out of trouble. They are in a ridiculous debt and one has to wonder how they are going to manage to pull through. Any word on when the DLC will be coming? They've been saying that there will be DLC ever since the game's release, which was on November 16, 2008. The addition of more "God" characters sounds really promising in the next MK. But the most important thing they have to focus on is the gameplay. Ed Boon said that they were going to start this new MK project from scratch, so I am expecting a game that feels clean, polished, and fresh. This game could have all the gore, fatalities, and characters it wants, but if it doesn't have a good fighting engine, it's going to be absolute crap. They had better do a good job on the gameplay, because they have been working on this game for a good while now.

Also, I want an all new cast of characters, besides Scorpion, Sub-Zero, and Raiden of course (can't have an MK game without them). Furthermore, there shouldn't be too many characters in this game. I think that 20 (at the most) is a good number. The more characters they put into the game, the harder it will be to balance it out. Remember, quantity does not equal quality. This game should be like a completely new rebirth for this series. A whole new beginning and a fresh new start after the events from Armageddon.
Old 2009-03-19, 23:39   Link #334
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

You'll agree with me that the MK team had worked always variations in the gameplay since MK4. in Deadly Alliance we had the various abilities of nejin, taunt, evade, impale and that move that push away the character from a defendong enemy. In Deceptions came the breakers and the stage fatalities, Armageddon bring the parries and the aereal kombat and MK-vs-DC bring the Free Fall Kombat, Klose Kombat and the new style of Test your might, so, MK always evolves in terms of adding creative gameplay and don't stuck themselves in the same system like Dead or Alive or Soul Calibur.

So far I had listened, Boon wahts to add lots of new characters, (mostly because the great majiority died in the Armageddon trying to reach the top of the Pyramid of Argus) There are rumors of bringing Tremor (boss of the no so good MK special forcess) and the so called "One being" as playable characters.

BTW, in case of selling MK it would be along with the MK team, midway just increased Boon's salary in a 15% so he would not leave Midway (in case of Boon and the MK team leaving Midway, the price of the MK franchside would be decreased in almost 50%)
Old 2009-03-20, 18:12   Link #335
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
You'll agree with me that the MK team had worked always variations in the gameplay since MK4. in Deadly Alliance we had the various abilities of nejin, taunt, evade, impale and that move that push away the character from a defendong enemy. In Deceptions came the breakers and the stage fatalities, Armageddon bring the parries and the aereal kombat and MK-vs-DC bring the Free Fall Kombat, Klose Kombat and the new style of Test your might, so, MK always evolves in terms of adding creative gameplay and don't stuck themselves in the same system like Dead or Alive or Soul Calibur.

So far I had listened, Boon wahts to add lots of new characters, (mostly because the great majiority died in the Armageddon trying to reach the top of the Pyramid of Argus) There are rumors of bringing Tremor (boss of the no so good MK special forcess) and the so called "One being" as playable characters.
Stage Fatalities, Free Fall Kombat, Klose Kombat, and Test Your Might, are all gimmicks that have nothing to do with the actual fighting engine since they interrupt the flow of a match. They all deviate from the core gameplay itself. Instead of trying to come up with new gimmicks, they first need to formulate a solid fighting engine (meaning just the actual fighting itself) that is balanced and has depth, so that the game can be played at a reasonable competitive level. Only then, will the series get the respect and interest from hardcore fighting game fans.

The "One Being" as a playable character would be really awesome. I hope that rumor is true. Since there are going to be quite a few "God" characters, I guess Fujin should come back as well. I highly doubt that he was killed off in Armageddon, especially considering how powerful he is. Taven is also likely to come back as well, since he was the main character of Armageddon and he did survive if I recall correctly. With that being said, 5 old characters have pretty high chances of making it into this next installment (Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Raiden, Fujin, and Taven).
Old 2009-03-21, 00:44   Link #336
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
The "One Being" as a playable character would be really awesome. I hope that rumor is true. Since there are going to be quite a few "God" characters, I guess Fujin should come back as well. I highly doubt that he was killed off in Armageddon, especially considering how powerful he is. Taven is also likely to come back as well, since he was the main character of Armageddon and he did survive if I recall correctly. With that being said, 5 old characters have pretty high chances of making it into this next installment (Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Raiden, Fujin, and Taven).
Well yeah, acordign to this Taven's ending is the only real "ending" on Armageddon... I'm curious about Daegon though... Did Taven really killed him?

And you forgot Shinok in your list, I mean, the Shinok fighting on the Pyramid of Argus was a clone created to assist Daegon, thje real Shinok is still trapped in the Netherrealm so he didn't died (plus he seemed to be the real criminal mastermind behind the Armageddon )

Oh yeah, I have a little good new, I heard that the MK team is gonna use the same engine used for the graphics in Gears of War on MK9
Old 2009-03-21, 02:33   Link #337
EvilMonkzilla

Send a message via MSN to EvilMonkzilla
Quote:
Oh yeah, I have a little good news, I heard that the MK team is gonna use the same engine used for the graphics in Gears of War on MK9
so they r going to using the unreal engine?... cool hopefully that title will help midway out
EvilMonkzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-21, 14:33   Link #338
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Well yeah, acordign to this Taven's ending is the only real "ending" on Armageddon... I'm curious about Daegon though... Did Taven really killed him?

And you forgot Shinok in your list, I mean, the Shinok fighting on the Pyramid of Argus was a clone created to assist Daegon, thje real Shinok is still trapped in the Netherrealm so he didn't died (plus he seemed to be the real criminal mastermind behind the Armageddon )

Oh yeah, I have a little good new, I heard that the MK team is gonna use the same engine used for the graphics in Gears of War on MK9
If Taven's ending is the only one that really happened, then I guess it's safe to assume he'll definitely be back in the next installment. As for Shinnok, I didn't forget about him. There's a lot of characters that survived Armageddon in their endings, but since everyone's ending except for Taven's is not canon (true/real), none of them will be back. You can be certain that Scorpion and Sub-Zero are the only two old characters that will definitely return.

The engine used for Gears of War is the Unreal 3 engine, which was the same engine used for MK vs. DC. I'm not surprised that they're going to be using that same technology for the upcoming Mortal Kombat game.
Old 2009-03-21, 23:36   Link #339
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

Eh? No Kitana? Isn't she the icon MK chicky?
Old 2009-03-22, 01:45   Link #340
Vikitehwaffu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demongod86 View Post
Eh? No Kitana? Isn't she the icon MK chicky?
No, that's Sonya.