AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-07-13, 18:04   Link #841
JesseJamesRocket
Maniacally loveable.
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeofdarkness View Post
not only did he kill sherly
he actually tried to tell lulu that she was going after him with a gun
thats low
then again during this ep we saw him greet old childhood friends (children) and then kill them without showing any remorse what so ever
i think he really doesnt know how severe what he did is

that plus what suzaku seemed to be doing this ep
and rolo might just end up as the not most hated character
well see
As far as Rolo knew, she was going after him with a gun. Where'd she get the gun from? Why did she even have it? Why was she there? Oh? She has her memories back? That explains it. Bang! She was in the way anyway.

The thought process would have to have gone something similar to that. Remember, just because we knew alot of details doesn't mean that Rolo did. He didn't even try to hide anything from Lelouche. He told him as if he was looking for praise or something. I'd say that exactly the way Rolo presented it to Lelouche is what the truth was in his mind. Everything that happened to Shirley, Lelouche has a degree of responsibility in it. Yet Lelouche gets a free pass... Bah.

Well, at least now with Rolo surviving the episode it seems clear as to how he'll die... He'll likely die in service to Lelouche while using his Geass on a huge area. As V.V. alluded to, his heart will give out. I guess the major question regarding Rolo at this point is one of the originals: Will Lelouche be glad that he's dead whenever he finally does die? Or will he have grown to care about him?
JesseJamesRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-13, 18:12   Link #842
KrimzonStriker
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseJamesRocket View Post
As far as Rolo knew, she was going after him with a gun. Where'd she get the gun from? Why did she even have it? Why was she there? Oh? She has her memories back? That explains it. Bang! She was in the way anyway.

The thought process would have to have gone something similar to that. Remember, just because we knew alot of details doesn't mean that Rolo did. He didn't even try to hide anything from Lelouche. He told him as if he was looking for praise or something. I'd say that exactly the way Rolo presented it to Lelouche is what the truth was in his mind. Everything that happened to Shirley, Lelouche has a degree of responsibility in it. Yet Lelouche gets a free pass... Bah.

Well, at least now with Rolo surviving the episode it seems clear as to how he'll die... He'll likely die in service to Lelouche while using his Geass on a huge area. As V.V. alluded to, his heart will give out. I guess the major question regarding Rolo at this point is one of the originals: Will Lelouche be glad that he's dead whenever he finally does die? Or will he have grown to care about him?
In the direction that I think they are taking Rolo and in light of the theme Shirley left behind after her death about forgiveness I'm optimistic that Lelouch will actually grow to care when/if Rolo goes and forgive Rolo as Shirley did for him.
__________________
"That is why we must embrace carnage. In order to not waste the blood that has already been shed, we have no choice but to shed even more."- Lelouch Vi Britannia
http://img371.imageshack.us/img371/7050/zeroty5copieie4.jpg
KrimzonStriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-13, 18:13   Link #843
Traece
:cool:
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Idaho
Age: 22
Lelouch care about Rolo? Hah... My mind is giggling in my skull and it keeps hitting the bone and now I have a headache.. q_q;

Rolo would've killed her if she didn't have a gun and he would've gladly planted one on her. He said it himself, she knew his identity and she was a threat. If you take the gun out of the equation, he'd still say the same thing. He's a professional assassin, and a jealous boy with a fakebrother-complex.

JJR: I wont say you're wrong to say Lelouch is at fault and gets a pass... But to be honest he's not the one who could be blamed for this entirely. If memory serves, this is fully Jeremiah's fault for causing the whole thing. We can also be reminded that Suzaku told one or two lousy officers to keep Shirley out of trouble, so we can blame him the most for doing a poor job of keeping Shirley from going after the man she was in love with. He should've kept her in his sight, he didn't exactly go in to try and solve the situation himself, he was just giving orders. Rolo did it, he admitted to it... There's no way he wasn't responsible for it. Rolo does this kind of thing, it's his character, it's what he's trained to do.

Edit: It's because of Shirley's forgiveness theme that it would make perfect sense for Rolo to die by Lelouch's hands. That way Shirley can turn in her grave and be unhappy that things turned out this way just because of her. The forgiveness thing was just thrown in to give some slight hope to the fans, and in the end that's all it really was.
__________________

Last edited by Traece; 2008-07-13 at 18:15. Reason: Forgiveness Theme?
Traece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-13, 18:31   Link #844
JesseJamesRocket
Maniacally loveable.
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traece View Post
Lelouch care about Rolo? Hah... My mind is giggling in my skull and it keeps hitting the bone and now I have a headache.. q_q;

Rolo would've killed her if she didn't have a gun and he would've gladly planted one on her. He said it himself, she knew his identity and she was a threat. If you take the gun out of the equation, he'd still say the same thing. He's a professional assassin, and a jealous boy with a fakebrother-complex.

JJR: I wont say you're wrong to say Lelouch is at fault and gets a pass... But to be honest he's not the one who could be blamed for this entirely. If memory serves, this is fully Jeremiah's fault for causing the whole thing. We can also be reminded that Suzaku told one or two lousy officers to keep Shirley out of trouble, so we can blame him the most for doing a poor job of keeping Shirley from going after the man she was in love with. He should've kept her in his sight, he didn't exactly go in to try and solve the situation himself, he was just giving orders. Rolo did it, he admitted to it... There's no way he wasn't responsible for it. Rolo does this kind of thing, it's his character, it's what he's trained to do.

Edit: It's because of Shirley's forgiveness theme that it would make perfect sense for Rolo to die by Lelouch's hands. That way Shirley can turn in her grave and be unhappy that things turned out this way just because of her. The forgiveness thing was just thrown in to give some slight hope to the fans, and in the end that's all it really was.
Sorry, I can't agree. If Rolo would have killed her no matter what, then why did he talk to her at all? Why did he answer her questions at first? He was looking for information. He got it, and he acted according to how he was trained, and how he believes he is expected to.

As for Rolo dying at Lelouche's hands, I again disagree since not only is that the easy way out plot-wise, in this episode, he failed to do so, which to me means that Rolo still has an important role to play. I also am convinced that he will die, mostly in order to appease the fans who are irate because of Shirley's death, but also to further his "brother's" aims. The happy ending for Lelouche, Nunally, and Rolo that I once hoped for seems quite impossible now.
JesseJamesRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-13, 18:32   Link #845
KrimzonStriker
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traece View Post
Lelouch care about Rolo? Hah... My mind is giggling in my skull and it keeps hitting the bone and now I have a headache.. q_q;

Rolo would've killed her if she didn't have a gun and he would've gladly planted one on her. He said it himself, she knew his identity and she was a threat. If you take the gun out of the equation, he'd still say the same thing. He's a professional assassin, and a jealous boy with a fakebrother-complex.

JJR: I wont say you're wrong to say Lelouch is at fault and gets a pass... But to be honest he's not the one who could be blamed for this entirely. If memory serves, this is fully Jeremiah's fault for causing the whole thing. We can also be reminded that Suzaku told one or two lousy officers to keep Shirley out of trouble, so we can blame him the most for doing a poor job of keeping Shirley from going after the man she was in love with. He should've kept her in his sight, he didn't exactly go in to try and solve the situation himself, he was just giving orders. Rolo did it, he admitted to it... There's no way he wasn't responsible for it. Rolo does this kind of thing, it's his character, it's what he's trained to do.

Edit: It's because of Shirley's forgiveness theme that it would make perfect sense for Rolo to die by Lelouch's hands. That way Shirley can turn in her grave and be unhappy that things turned out this way just because of her. The forgiveness thing was just thrown in to give some slight hope to the fans, and in the end that's all it really was.
Now now, I seriously think that wasn't the intention. While Lelouch is definitely traveling down the path of carnage this becomes a common theme for Tanaguchi and his other series. That being putting the characters through hell before giving them hope near the end. Plus, he seems to think positively of Rolo, so I think he'll give him a somewhat good end at the least, and that Shirley's legacy will win out in the end.
__________________
"That is why we must embrace carnage. In order to not waste the blood that has already been shed, we have no choice but to shed even more."- Lelouch Vi Britannia
http://img371.imageshack.us/img371/7050/zeroty5copieie4.jpg
KrimzonStriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-13, 18:44   Link #846
hayato
Datte...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Jersey
Age: 28
Send a message via AIM to hayato
Post

I feel sorry for Rolo, and as already mentioned by someone, who I am not mentioning but god, don't give away the hints... anyways yeah, Rolo's outcome is a heart attack, and betrayal laughter from his fake-niisan.
hayato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-13, 18:49   Link #847
bdragonomega
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Well... rolo just needs to be smart and have a cardiac pump when he starts geassing people.
bdragonomega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-13, 18:53   Link #848
Krishh
Mao, ftw
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Finland
Age: 23
Spoiler for ep 14, suppose not everyone has seen it yet:
Krishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-13, 19:00   Link #849
KrimzonStriker
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Really, I do feel that Lelouch will have learned to chill a bit after the World of C, and grow to appreciate Rolo when the time comes, at least Rolo gets that much I feel which is once again the direction I think the staff is taking with his character.
__________________
"That is why we must embrace carnage. In order to not waste the blood that has already been shed, we have no choice but to shed even more."- Lelouch Vi Britannia
http://img371.imageshack.us/img371/7050/zeroty5copieie4.jpg
KrimzonStriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-13, 19:13   Link #850
orangejuicetang
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Age: 22
appreciate what about Rolo? The only plus Rolo has in Lelouch's eyes is his Geass. Lelouch already has ace pilots, and some minuses are that Rolo is he killed Shirley, willing to kill his allies, he's not exactly the most stable mind or personality, and he replaced Nunually.
orangejuicetang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-13, 19:17   Link #851
Aquaman OS
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Rolo's piloting was rather subpar anyway. He managed to destroy one of Seigfried's harkens at the cost of his swords, leg and one arm. He also proved to be extremely dangerous to Lelouch's own side. If not for the fact that the only people he could kill were red shirts Lelouch probably wouldn't have brought him. There's no way he can fight alongside Kallen or Toudou or Xingke like that. Lelouch can live without him.
Aquaman OS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-13, 19:22   Link #852
Shizuka Hiou
Level X
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishh View Post
Spoiler for ep 14, suppose not everyone has seen it yet:

i agree 100%
shirley "turnaround" was so forced by sunrise to make us be sympathetic toward shirley. it was kinda obvious that she will meet her end soon enough when i saw that.

all of a sudden after ep 13, everyone was "oh gosh shirley died, what a tragedy", "i will not watch code geass if character like shirely dies again, etc etc"
when just an epsiode before or something, half the people even forgot she existed, rather lots thought she was whiny, useless character.

the fact of matter is, shirely is a measuring tool to show rollo's evil state? or a catalyst for drama b/w lelouch or rollo. It's to justify lelouch's action as morally right of killing/using rollo. Forcing the viwers to root for Lelouch. Personally i like to think/feel for myself and not let the company think for me. Therefore I don't get the reasons to feel so hyped about a tool's death.

Rollo on the other hand is a character, and i hope to see him much more in the later episodes.
Shizuka Hiou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-13, 19:42   Link #853
KrimzonStriker
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Well, I'm glad Rolo has some fans remaining at least
__________________
"That is why we must embrace carnage. In order to not waste the blood that has already been shed, we have no choice but to shed even more."- Lelouch Vi Britannia
http://img371.imageshack.us/img371/7050/zeroty5copieie4.jpg
KrimzonStriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-13, 19:50   Link #854
orangejuicetang
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Age: 22
All characters have some fans, some characters just have more fans than others, and some of those fans are more extreme than others.
orangejuicetang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-13, 20:08   Link #855
zalem
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseJamesRocket View Post
As far as Rolo knew, she was going after him with a gun. Where'd she get the gun from? Why did she even have it? Why was she there? Oh? She has her memories back? That explains it. Bang! She was in the way anyway.
But he was talking to her and new full well that she wasn't running around trying to shoot Lulu. She said she wanted to help and the moment she mentions Nunnally, he kills her. Sure it could be because she got her memories back. Maybe I could have bought that, but when he basically lied and told Lelouch that Shirley was going after him with a gun....well, that just doesn't sit well with me. At all. And it makes me more inclined to think that his twisted over possessiveness of Lelouch and hatred of Nunnally was definitely a factor in his decision to off Shirley.
__________________
zalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-13, 20:32   Link #856
JesseJamesRocket
Maniacally loveable.
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalem View Post
But he was talking to her and new full well that she wasn't running around trying to shoot Lulu. She said she wanted to help and the moment she mentions Nunnally, he kills her. Sure it could be because she got her memories back. Maybe I could have bought that, but when he basically lied and told Lelouch that Shirley was going after him with a gun....well, that just doesn't sit well with me. At all. And it makes me more inclined to think that his twisted over possessiveness of Lelouch and hatred of Nunnally was definitely a factor in his decision to off Shirley.
Well again, I think that he believed that the things she was saying to him were deceptive. All of his answers to her were with a distrusting tone. Then, as soon as he was sure that she had regained her memories, he ended it. After all, she had plenty of reason to hate Lelouche (though she didn't), she had a gun (which we still don't know exactly why), and she was at a crucial scene where Lelouche was already in danger for reasons that as far as Rolo was concerned were suspicious.

No doubt Rolo has a weird jealous streak, and likely doesn't care at all that Shirley is dead, but I'm pretty sure that he killed her for the reason he told Lelouche. Otherwise, he would have kept it secret, and he'd be at a much greater level of "psycho" than we are really dealing with.
JesseJamesRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-14, 02:04   Link #857
Orga777
TRUE! Lelouch is dead! XD
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: New Jersey
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseJamesRocket View Post
As far as Rolo knew, she was going after him with a gun. Where'd she get the gun from? Why did she even have it? Why was she there? Oh? She has her memories back? That explains it. Bang! She was in the way anyway.
That is a load of bull. She told him he wanted to help protect him. Rolo is a crafty guy. He knew he told Lelouch what he wanted to hear (in his opinion of course.) She mentions Nunnally, and Rolo got pissed. Nothing more to it than that. He knew Shirley wasn't going to go after Lelouch.

Overall though, the bashing is not really necessary. Rolo just doesn't know how to act around people. He is a danger to everyone including himself. He still has a sympathy card to play though due to him not having any real family. I shall wait and see his fate. I still don;t think he will live by the end of the series, but I still have to wonder how he will go out. Either low or up top actually protecting someone. We shall see.
Orga777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-14, 02:12   Link #858
Aquaman OS
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
The only way Rolo can be saved is if Lelouch pounds it into his head that he screwed up badly and orders him not to kill anyone else ever again without Lelouch's direct permission. I thought the bomb in Vincent would only half malfunction making it clear to Rolo that he screwed up but it wound up not being used at all.
Aquaman OS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-14, 06:06   Link #859
Esper 28
Akira
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Side 3
I kind of got the feeling that Rollo was kind of genuine in what he told Lelouch regarding Shirley's death. I mean, obviously, the fact that Shirley mentioned Nunnally was a huge factor, but I do think that he seriously thought Shirley was a security risk.

Am I alone in thinking that killing Shirley wasn't done completely out of malice for the mention of Nunnally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orga777
I shall wait and see his fate. I still don;t think he will live by the end of the series, but I still have to wonder how he will go out. Either low or up top actually protecting someone. We shall see.
Honestly, I have a strange feeling that Rollo is going to die in a rather inglorious way, but I agree that I can't see him living until the end.
Esper 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-14, 06:22   Link #860
Kenu
magoi, magoi!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
The fact that there is no consensus on Rolo means he is a great character. Us veiwers can sympathise with him or hate him. The writers did a great job on him.

To be honest, in the first few episodes I thought Rolo was Nunnally but sex-changed and mind wiped! Subsequently Lelouch would have to make a decision to kill Rolo or really his dear sister. Glad that was blown out of the water.
Kenu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:38.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
We use Silk.