AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Monogatari Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-09-23, 15:10   Link #1501
Woland
Latin Rascal
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Italy
I know that episode 2 is around 2 minute longer: they added the ending (not present in TV edit) and the second part of Masturika Nishi (Diary?), episode 1 was the same, but I didn't check the others.
__________________
Under Construction...
Woland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-25, 19:53   Link #1502
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: USA
Age: 28
Okay. Anyone know the video resolution the final episodes will be streamed in?
DragoZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-29, 09:32   Link #1503
extramf
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
How do you understand the joke that relates to the kanji character?
For example, the jokes that Hitagi said in the car.
extramf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-29, 10:34   Link #1504
ickem
シェリルの為に!
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by extramf View Post
How do you understand the joke that relates to the kanji character?
For example, the jokes that Hitagi said in the car.
It's pretty easy. You just have learn enough Japanese to understand.
__________________
そうかそういうことだったんだな、謎が解けたぞ、神原のエロの師匠はお前だったんだな!
-阿良々木暦

「ほら、私が、私の家で、二人きりで、昼となく夜となく、散々面倒見てあげたじゃない」
「」
 何故わざわざそんな言い方をする。
 父親のいるところで、父親不在のときに家で二人きりになった話題など。
ickem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-29, 11:15   Link #1505
extramf
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Wink 人が夢を見ると「儚い」という字になるんや

Quote:
Originally Posted by ickem View Post
It's pretty easy. You just have learn enough Japanese to understand.
Thank you for your reply.
Because i am a Japanese, i can understand a joke of Hitagi.
I wanted to know, how do users from non-Japanese zone understand the joke.

私は日本人なので、ひたぎの冗談を解せるのだけれど、非日本語圏のユーザーがどう受け止めているか知りたか ったんです。

「人」が「夢」を見ると「儚」という字になるのは、日本人がよく口にする冗談だけど、漢字文化圏以外の人に は、ちょっとばかり難しいと推察します。
その上、「人」に「儚」と書いて「アララギ」と読ませて、新しい漢字の誕生というのは、日本人でも一瞬、考 えてしまう冗談だと思います。
阿良々木君が「恋人との初デート」に「儚」い期待を抱いていた「人」だから、「人」に「儚」と書いて「アラ ラギ」になるわけです。
こんな入り組んだ(あるいは、文化的な文脈に依存する)洒落まで、英語(あるいは他の言語に)訳すファンサ ブ職人には、敬意を表するしかありません。
extramf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-29, 11:35   Link #1506
Zetsubo
著述遮断
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by extramf View Post
Thank you for your reply.
Because i am a Japanese, i can understand a joke of Hitagi.
I wanted to know, how do users from non-Japanese zone understand the joke.

私は日本人なので、ひたぎの冗談を解せるのだけれど、非日本語圏のユーザーがどう受け止めているか知りたか ったんです。

「人」が「夢」を見ると「儚」という字になるのは、日本人がよく口にする冗談だけど、漢字文化圏以外の人に は、ちょっとばかり難しいと推察します。
その上、「人」に「儚」と書いて「アララギ」と読ませて、新しい漢字の誕生というのは、日本人でも一瞬、考 えてしまう冗談だと思います。
阿良々木君が「恋人との初デート」に「儚」い期待を抱いていた「人」だから、「人」に「儚」と書いて「アラ ラギ」になるわけです。
こんな入り組んだ(あるいは、文化的な文脈に依存する)洒落まで、英語(あるいは他の言語に)訳すファンサ ブ職人には、敬意を表するしかありません。
Proper translation.
Zetsubo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-29, 12:05   Link #1507
ickem
シェリルの為に!
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetsubo View Post
Proper translation.
Proper translation is pretty hard. I guess the best way is to use a similar pun, but that loses meaning too. Take extramf's example for instance. 儚 means fleeting or transparent and is made out of the dream kanji (夢) and the person radical (人) so "a person who dreams gives birth to the word 'fleeting''' just doesn't have the same impact since you only get the meaning, but not the visual. And I don't there actually a way to work 人+儚 in English since it's also pronounced Araragi. This was one of the jokes that I left untranslated in chapter 3, if I remember right. 儚 is actually a good word to describe translation as well.
__________________
そうかそういうことだったんだな、謎が解けたぞ、神原のエロの師匠はお前だったんだな!
-阿良々木暦

「ほら、私が、私の家で、二人きりで、昼となく夜となく、散々面倒見てあげたじゃない」
「」
 何故わざわざそんな言い方をする。
 父親のいるところで、父親不在のときに家で二人きりになった話題など。
ickem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-29, 12:51   Link #1508
Zetsubo
著述遮断
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ickem View Post
Proper translation is pretty hard. I guess the best way is to use a similar pun, but that loses meaning too. Take extramf's example for instance. 儚 means fleeting or transparent and is made out of the dream kanji (夢) and the person radical (人) so "a person who dreams gives birth to the word 'fleeting''' just doesn't have the same impact since you only get the meaning, but not the visual. And I don't there actually a way to work 人+儚 in English since it's also pronounced Araragi. This was one of the jokes that I left untranslated in chapter 3, if I remember right. 儚 is actually a good word to describe translation as well.
Let me try...

If you think about it... dreams are fleeting.

like roses they last but a meager second in the eye of the universe.

Using the example above you seem to be describing a frivolous person.

A person who is prone to fantasy and daydreaming who's real life is mired by their inability to deal with reality.

Someone whos life could be seen as, frivolous, unimportant to the universe ?

End try....


Most English speakers do not read enough good English literature.

So we have trouble when translating, because we barely master our own language.

We don't have enough literary references to draw from to make clear the ideas being put forth in the Japanese text.

Language is just a method of communicating ideas, so I am sure the ideas can translate... but the trouble is, how do we construct the words to convey the ideas.

A teacher once told me, in order to master Spanish you have to master English.

Our English building blocks are very poor on average, so translation and fan-subbing will always be a challenge.

Right now, as a native speaker I struggle to improve my own native tongue since I really realize that it makes my mind work in a more clear and concise manner. I can create and communicate my ideas more clearly.

Therefore it may be possible that once my native linguistic system is up to par, i could orthogonally transfer that skill toward my learning of Japanese (not the structure but the improved way of translating communicating ideas)
Zetsubo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-29, 13:12   Link #1509
extramf
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ickem View Post
儚 is actually a good word to describe translation as well.
ickem reach the ground of the Zen.
珍重万歳、珍重万歳

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetsubo View Post
like roses they last but a meager second in the eye of the universe.
Zetsubo, your translation resembles "The Sick Rose" by William Blake a little.
*wonderful*
extramf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-29, 13:25   Link #1510
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by extramf View Post
Thank you for your reply.
Because i am a Japanese, i can understand a joke of Hitagi.
I wanted to know, how do users from non-Japanese zone understand the joke.

私は日本人なので、ひたぎの冗談を解せるのだけれど、非日本語圏のユーザーがどう受け止めているか知りたか ったんです。

「人」が「夢」を見ると「儚」という字になるのは、日本人がよく口にする冗談だけど、漢字文化圏以外の人に は、ちょっとばかり難しいと推察します。
その上、「人」に「儚」と書いて「アララギ」と読ませて、新しい漢字の誕生というのは、日本人でも一瞬、考 えてしまう冗談だと思います。
阿良々木君が「恋人との初デート」に「儚」い期待を抱いていた「人」だから、「人」に「儚」と書いて「アラ ラギ」になるわけです。
こんな入り組んだ(あるいは、文化的な文脈に依存する)洒落まで、英語(あるいは他の言語に)訳すファンサ ブ職人には、敬意を表するしかありません。
It depends on the fansubber.... some of them provide footnotes or addendum guides. Some just ignore it completely.
__________________
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-29, 14:53   Link #1511
Zetsubo
著述遮断
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by extramf View Post
ickem reach the ground of the Zen.
珍重万歳、珍重万歳


Zetsubo, your translation resembles "The Sick Rose" by William Blake a little.
*wonderful*
I didn't know that

Thanks.

Funny you mention Zen.

There is something I learned about language while researching zen.


Improve your language improve your thoughts.
Improve your thoughts improve your language.


Many English speakers have bad linguistic habits that ignore precision.

As a result we tend to have muddled and imprecise thoughts.

Therefore this condition hinders our ability to clearly and precisely translate from one language to another.

The fact is we think using language.

Therefore if we cant use our native language very well, then it follows that our thoughts cannot be formulated well also.

Lord knows I need help to master English even though it is native to me.

The most powerful tool available to the human mind to facilitate reason is language. He who masters language can inherently, if he so chooses, master reason.
Zetsubo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-29, 16:19   Link #1512
epl
Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
From what I read from another trusted forum, the blurray has an addition audio track in the eps that was "written by Nishio Ishin where the cast comments what is going on in character"
epl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-29, 16:34   Link #1513
FRS
Lurker on the threshold
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: France
Age: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by epl View Post
From what I read from another trusted forum, the blurray has an addition audio track in the eps that was "written by Nishio Ishin where the cast comments what is going on in character"
That must be epic
FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-29, 16:45   Link #1514
apr
Pedestrian
 
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRS View Post
That must be epic
They spend 5 minutes discussing the breakdown of working/lazy ants.
__________________
...in my humble opinion.
apr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-02, 08:35   Link #1515
extramf
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
It depends on the fansubber.... some of them provide footnotes or addendum guides. Some just ignore it completely.
You are totally right.
Thank you for your answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetsubo View Post

Improve your language improve your thoughts.
Improve your thoughts improve your language.
I do not know the words. It is a splendid proverb.
The following words are included in the doctrine of the zen.

教外別伝/kyougaibetsuden
不立文字/furyuumonji

「教外別伝」There is Satori that Zen priests aim at outside a doctrine.
「不立文字」Satori cannot be expressed with words. All sutras are signposts to Satori.

This doctrine doesn't disregard the language.
This means that Zen priests need to polish linguistic competence.

Apart from it.

here is an interview of NISHIO Isin as follows.
http://blog.livedoor.jp/geek/archives/50852177.html


He said.
「アニメ化も実写化も漫画化もドラマCD化も出来ない、メディアミックス不可能な小説は果たして書けるのだ ろうか」
"Am I able to write novels that can not be adapted as the animated movie?"

That novel is Bakemonogatari.

Much expression depending on Kanji appears into Bakemonogatari novels.
I feel admiration for the ability of the Shaft very much.

Last edited by extramf; 2009-10-02 at 18:11.
extramf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-06, 23:27   Link #1516
quigonkenny
WRYYYYY!!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Elkia
Age: 42
So does anyone know if any sub group is going to be rereleasing episodes 1 and 2 (and later once they come out) with subbed commentary tracks? The in-character commentary is such an incredibly awesome and original idea that I can't believe someone hasn't released a dual-subs version already. Is it more work than I'm thinking it would be (a little more than a normal episode)?
__________________
quigonkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-07, 07:14   Link #1517
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: USA
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
So does anyone know if any sub group is going to be rereleasing episodes 1 and 2 (and later once they come out) with subbed commentary tracks? The in-character commentary is such an incredibly awesome and original idea that I can't believe someone hasn't released a dual-subs version already. Is it more work than I'm thinking it would be (a little more than a normal episode)?
I imagine its the same work as releasing an episode with two language tracks. Some groups have done BD releases, but no extra track. We can only hope someone, like THORA, does.
DragoZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-07, 10:17   Link #1518
Malkuth
Banned
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: London
Age: 34
Send a message via MSN to Malkuth Send a message via Skype™ to Malkuth
A not so reliable (and NSFW) source says that the first volume surpassed even K-On! on sales ... should I have hope for the future (i.e. can someone confirm)?

Maybe we'll see the rest of the novels or other of the writer's works animated in the future
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-07, 10:34   Link #1519
Azuma Denton
~AD~
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
A not so reliable (and NSFW) source says that the first volume surpassed even K-On! on sales ... should I have hope for the future (i.e. can someone confirm)?

Maybe we'll see the rest of the novels or other of the writer's works animated in the future
Well's Nisio Isin other work, Katanagari (CMIIW) is already on production and will come out as OVA next year...

Browse on youtube for its preview...
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-07, 11:27   Link #1520
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Italy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
(i.e. can someone confirm)?
The not so reliable site is correct.

It's being discussed in the Merchandise Thread, here.
__________________
Pellissier is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
adventure, comedy, fantasy, romance, shaft, supernatural

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:17.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.