AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-05-28, 01:35   Link #1
Shana

Slice of life, anyone?

I love this type of anime. I'm currently watching Lucky Star and Asatte no Houkou. I see AIR, Kanon 2006, Suzumiya Haruhi, Ichigo Mashimaro and Azumanga Daioh. I love this genre of anime and I want more~ more~.

Any suggestions?
Old 2007-05-28, 01:51   Link #2
Furudanuki

Based on the series you have listed, ARIA the ANIMATION and the sequel ARIA the NATURAL should match up with your tastes nicely.
Old 2007-05-28, 01:55   Link #3
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

That's not slice of life.
Mmm.. I think series like Suzuka are slice of life.

Shinigami no Ballad - 6 episodes, some people like it some don't.
Old 2007-05-28, 01:55   Link #4
G. Zeus
Cafe Alpha customer

Send a message via Yahoo to G. Zeus
Ahhhh... Slice of life. Probably the genre I'm most fond of at the moment.

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
What a Wonderful World
Mohiro Kitoh's Short Stories
Hiroki Endo's Short Stories
Emma/Emma Bangaihen
Shirley/Shirley Madison
Chokotto Sister
Minami-ke
Today in Class 5-2

Guess which one's my favorite? *points to avatar, user title, and signature*

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
<))))><..`.reviews.`.links.`..><((((>

Last edited by G. Zeus; 2007-05-28 at 02:22.
Old 2007-05-28, 01:59   Link #5
Shana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
That's not slice of life.
Mmm.. I think series like Suzuka are slice of life.
Hmm... Ichigo Mashimaro isn't slice of life? well, thanks~

I'm watching how about the series are you saying guys
Old 2007-05-28, 02:02   Link #6
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

I was refering to some of the other examples you gave
BTW Shana, are you watching the currently airing Sola series.
Old 2007-05-28, 02:04   Link #7
Shana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
I was refering to some of the other examples you gave
BTW Shana, are you watching the currently airing Sola series.
Yes, I watch only the first episode
Old 2007-05-28, 02:10   Link #8
G. Zeus
Cafe Alpha customer

Send a message via Yahoo to G. Zeus
Quote:
Ichigo Mashimaro isn't slice of life?
I believe it is.

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
<))))><..`.reviews.`.links.`..><((((>
Old 2007-05-28, 02:18   Link #9
jedinat
フリーター

Aishiteruze Baby
Futatsu no Spica
Genshiken
Hachimitsu to Clover
Kamichu!
Haibane Renmei
...all great slice of life.

And I'll second Aria.
Old 2007-05-28, 02:45   Link #10
Asian

Aria. I know it's been suggested before, but its uber good
Old 2007-05-28, 04:54   Link #11
Akachan_Ningen

seconded Aishiteruze Baby, Honey and Clover!

U might like Welcome to NHK one of favorites =D
Old 2007-05-28, 05:33   Link #12
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Welcome to NHK is about drug addicts, NEETs and all other sorts of explicit and excessive behaviour.
Isn't Shana something like 11 or so~ O__o

I don't think showing how people go mental is exactly the slice of life she wanted.
Old 2007-05-28, 08:56   Link #13
Frans

Sensei no Ojikan kinda like Azudai. You could try Maria-Sama ga Miteru, but it have a yuri-ish feeling.
Bokura ga Ita is good if you like something with a lot of romance.
Old 2007-05-28, 09:23   Link #14
mdauben

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Shana View Post
I see AIR, Kanon 2006, Suzumiya Haruhi, Ichigo Mashimaro and Azumanga Daioh. I love this genre of anime and I want more~ more~.
I really don't think Air, Kanon, and Haruhi are "slice-of-life" as they incorporate significant elements of fantasy and/or scifi in the basic story. Good shows, but not really slice-of-life (unless you lead a very weird life! ).

If you want something more like Ichigo Marchimaro, Azumanga Daioh, and Lucky ☆ Star, you might want to check out:

Girl's High (aka High School Girls) about a group of female first year high school students who are all excited to start living the life of sophisticated high school girls (which seems to mainly mean dating and karaoke parties). They are a bit wilder than the girls in many of the other slice-of-life series, but I though they were very funny.

Manabi Straight (aka Gakuen Utopia Manabi Straight!)- This one has a bit of "near future scifi" in it, but it's mainly a high school, slice-of-life series about a group of girls attending a High School that is scheduled to be closed due to dropping enrollment.

Last edited by mdauben; 2007-05-29 at 08:35.
Old 2007-05-28, 12:42   Link #15
Shana

^ Yes, my life is really weird desu~.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frans View Post
You could try Maria-Sama ga Miteru, but it have a yuri-ish feeling.
I try to watch it (only becouse the yuri-ish feeling :3), but it is really boring
Old 2007-05-29, 08:29   Link #16
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I'd recommend Hidamari Sketch, another of the four girls go to high school genre, in this case an arts academy. To me it's almost prototypically slice-of-life, as essentially nothing happens in any episode. This show has grown on me over time, and I find it more enjoyable than either Manabi Straight or Lucky Star which are its closest sisters.

I'd agree with Cats that NHK should be rated at least PG-13 in the US system. The manga is rated M in the US. GONZO did tone down some things in the anime like the cocaine usage, but the entire tone of this series is more adult than the ones ~Shana listed.

I'd definitely endorse Azumanga Daioh if you've never seen it and might throw School Rumble (see sig for link) into the mix as well. While the latter is not strictly a "slice-of-life" show, it has a lot of the same comedic appeal to me as Azumanga did while adding in boys and romance.

Here are a few other recommendations (see sig for links):
Windy Tales - middle school girls discover there are people and cats (!) who can control the wind
Hataraki Man - the life of a female editor in a Japanese magazine publisher
Bartender - a set of stories about the role of alcohol in human lives and remembrance; might be less interesting to younger viewers as many of the characters are as old as I am!
Planetes - a show about a crew of people whose job is to collect space trash (dead rockets, etc.)
Jungle wa Itsumo Hale nochi Guu - one of the funniest shows ever made about an (alien?) girl who comes to live with a boy and his mother in a very weird jungle village

I always have a hard time drawing the line between "slice-of-life" shows and what Americans would call the "situation comedy" genre. Shows like REC or Nodame Cantabile, while essentially comedies, have a slice-of-life feel as well. However they do have more plot than a show like Hidamari Sketch, where an entire episode is devoted to one of the characters spending the day in bed with a fever and her weird (and gorgeously-animated) fever dreams. Still, Asatte no Houkou is often characterized as a slice-of-life show, and it assuredly has a plot.

I watched a couple of episodes of High School Girls, but it seemed relentlessly ecchi, even if was written by a woman who claimed it was based on her own experiences. The whole premise seems to be to show that teenaged girls can be just as disgusting as teenaged boys.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2007-05-29 at 14:01. Reason: added underlines to unlinked titles
Old 2007-05-29, 10:03   Link #17
ibreatheanime

How about Bartender?
Old 2007-05-29, 22:43   Link #18
DanielSong39

Some low-key slice of life shows:
To Heart
Lamune
Kokoro Library

If you want a bigger slice, I recommend these:
SHUFFLE! (and I mean quite literally)
School Days (perhaps?)
Old 2007-05-29, 23:47   Link #19
Shana

Thanks guys, I'll watch Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou (I think it's a manga, but well, I can read), Today in class 5-2 (I watch the first two episodes, but I forgot download the 3rd ep. and the fansub didn't do the ep.4 well, the RAWs exist), Genshiken, Kamichu!, Aria the ANIMATION/NATURAL, Nodame Cantabile, Futatsu no Spica (I think it here was licensed, hmm...), To heart and School Days (It isn't unaired? if it's aired, who's episodes it haves at the time?).

A bunch
Old 2007-05-30, 01:20   Link #20
4Tran

Other than the Yokohama shows, the show with the strongest slice of life elements is probably Figure 17. Despite its science fiction and action elements, most of every episode is just about Tsubasa and Hikaru as they go through their everyday routine. It's quite possibly one of my favorite slice of life shows. However, this is much more of a general recommendation as it's science fiction elements make it completely different from the OP's other shows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei
I always have a hard time drawing the line between "slice-of-life" shows and what Americans would call the "situation comedy" genre. Shows like REC or Nodame Cantabile, while essentially comedies, have a slice-of-life feel as well. However they do have more plot than a show like Hidamari Sketch, where an entire episode is devoted to one of the characters spending the day in bed with a fever and her weird (and gorgeously-animated) fever dreams. Still, Asatte no Houkou is often characterized as a slice-of-life show, and it assuredly has a plot.
I think of the "slice of life" category as determined by what the show is trying to accomplish rather than whether it has an over-arching plot or not. A slice of life show's main focus is about placing the viewer into the "life and times" of the characters. Thus, they are best characterized by their emphasis on setting, theme and mood; with a de-emphasis of common plot elements; and with gentle pacing. The Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou works are pretty much the poster children of this sub-genre (slice of life shows are almost always dramas as well). I think that while many comedies have slice of life elements, most of them aren't slice of life shows since their focus is totally different. This is especially true of the more spastic comedies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Shana View Post
Thanks guys, I'll watch Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou (I think it's a manga, but well, I can read), Today in class 5-2 (I watch the first two episodes, but I forgot download the 3rd ep. and the fansub didn't do the ep.4 well, the RAWs exist), Genshiken, Kamichu!, Aria the ANIMATION/NATURAL, Nodame Cantabile, Futatsu no Spica (I think it here was licensed, hmm...), To heart and School Days (It isn't unaired? if it's aired, who's episodes it haves at the time?).
Those are all very good choice, and they fit fairly well with the shows that you initially posted. The School Days anime hasn't aired yet, but DanielSong39 may have been referring to the original PC game which is largely made up of animated sequences or "episodes".

Tags
genre definitions, slice of life