AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fan Creations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-05-14, 11:40   Link #321
nammerboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axial View Post
Final entry:

Quality suffered... ):
I noe your pain ):
Old 2008-05-14, 14:52   Link #322
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibeke View Post
Which is better, this:

or the one I'm currently using? (one of my old sigs)
I think both are quite good, though personally i would tinker a bit with the height of the first signature, to "improve" the aspect ratio. Its only my opinion, but personally i would try chopping off a few pixels from both top and bottom.

Yumemi signature i like a lot. It seems to be a bit character driven (as in - knowing her backstory and the scene certainly helps), but it is well beyond passable i believe. Personally i prefer this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyz View Post
My final entry:

-> Good luck ppl! It feels like that this contest is much longer than before.
Hmm .. i have a feeling the text plays a huge role in setting the mood here Knowing Matsuri's story certainly helps as well, when you apply the text to it. Its a nice signature, but i think the one you are using is a better fit for the theme ...well at least it feels that way for me
Old 2008-05-14, 17:16   Link #323
Kakashi
カカシ

Send a message via MSN to Kakashi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
A few entries needed the contestant to explain the context. Personally I think that's an automatic fail, because people should be able to grasp such concepts merely by looking at the image.

To follow that, tragic character does not equal tragic signature. For people who have never seen that character, they would have no idea *why* that character is tragic.

In the case of the Sasuke signature, his mouth and possibly eyebrows need to be changed. He looks like he's cheering up, and this is reinforced with the Smile text. In addition, the filesize is over the limit imposed by the rules. I'm just not feeling a sad element to it, honestly.
I disagree I prefer sigs that need more then a glance to get what they're about. I think an obviously forced smile is sadder, but I get what you're saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
Solace beat me to it, so I'll just summarize: don't rely on the backstory of the character to bring out the emotions. People may not have watched the series or know the character, and it's also possible that the character means something different to them. I've seen enough Naruto to know about that part that you mentioned, but Sasuke doesn't represent sadness or tragedy to me - he represents intelligence and arrogance. So your signature meant something quite different to me

Recommendations for how to "fix it up": use the smuge tool to curve the edges of his mouth downward. Doing this even a little will make his expression seem more neutral, or even one of sadness. I don't think there's a whole lot more that can be adjusted, unfortunately. The eyebrows are a good area to manipulate a character's expressions with, but in that image there isn't an easy way to manipulate them. That aside, they're neutral enough that you don't need to. Curve the mouth downward and the eyebrows may contribute to the sad expression as well.

Nice work overall, though.
Thanks. I worked hard on it. To be honest if you think Sasuke simply represents intelligence and arrogance then I don't think you have watched enough Naruto, his whole life is despair. At times the only reason he keeps living is to kill Itachi. He said it himself, although he is what you described as well. Besides the point but just saying since I have some bad news on my behalf.

I took your advice but I found it impossible, like I thought. I don't have the original psd file because it's on my desktop, which needs repairing because it blew up. So this was the best I could do (to prove I tried):

Spoiler for It's so horrifying I don't even want to look!:

Still over the limit. Look what you made me do to my sig! It's a shame because I wanted to see how it would do, first ever Naruto sig with a vote? Maybe next time

Btw guys I'm suprised no one caught on how to make a unique sig here, I havn't even seen one sig with only a male. One sig with Lelouch and C2 Too bad.
Old 2008-05-14, 18:26   Link #324
kamo

If you crop the sides, you can get it under the limit, but it might not look the best.
Spoiler for :
Old 2008-05-14, 19:39   Link #325
Riker
Peek a boo
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
There's a few things I've noticed with many of this month's entries:

Crying and rain are probably the most common references used. However, just because someone is crying or that it is raining doesn't automatically equal something sad or despairing.

A few entries needed the contestant to explain the context. Personally I think that's an automatic fail, because people should be able to grasp such concepts merely by looking at the image.

Question!

Does this sig have enough feelings of Despair/Sorrow or does it lean more towards Anger/Hatred?
I'm trying to tell a mini story with the flimstrip, not sure if it's working though. D:

Old 2008-05-14, 20:07   Link #326
bkg9990
Singin Diamond Crevasse
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to bkg9990 Send a message via Yahoo to bkg9990
I phailed yet again

Old 2008-05-14, 20:07   Link #327
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

@Riker

Five part image? O_o

Well, an answer from me is....it seems a bit angry, but more like Elfen Lied angry which has sad and tragic undercurrents. I can't really tell what's going on with the filmstrip portion though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakashi-san View Post
I disagree I prefer sigs that need more then a glance to get what they're about. I think an obviously forced smile is sadder, but I get what you're saying.
Well I never said "at a glance". I meant images are like jokes. If you have to explain the joke, the point of the humor is lost. Jokes don't have to be immediately "gettable", but once the person thinks upon it enough, they might be able to see the humor without someone explaining *why* it's funny. But I do agree with you that a forced smile can be just as sad, however I don't see that aspect in the signature.

You're still welcome to enter it. If the community sees it differently you might get some votes. It's certainly an image that can go either way, so it's not something I can outright say "no, find something else" to.
Old 2008-05-14, 20:29   Link #328
nammerboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkg9990 View Post
I phailed yet again

Whoaa, WAY WAY too grainy. Perhaps u could use the "Dup, Blur, Blend" technique for this.

If u want to expand on the black and white, try the gradiant for it.
Old 2008-05-14, 20:32   Link #329
Endrance
~Rock ☆~
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riker View Post
Question!

Does this sig have enough feelings of Despair/Sorrow or does it lean more towards Anger/Hatred?
I'm trying to tell a mini story with the flimstrip, not sure if it's working though. D:

I like the film strip but it would be easier to tell whats going on if the film was a bit slower...right now it goes by so fast i cant really tell what im seeing. Good job though
Old 2008-05-14, 20:46   Link #330
bkg9990
Singin Diamond Crevasse
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nammerboi View Post
Whoaa, WAY WAY too grainy. Perhaps u could use the "Dup, Blur, Blend" technique for this.

If u want to expand on the black and white, try the gradiant for it.
Already used the b&w gradiant on this

but yeah, it seems too grainy xD
Old 2008-05-14, 20:49   Link #331
Shana

Send a message via MSN to Shana
Quote:
Question!

WTF.

Awesomeness. I don't know if I just can see the film strip, people does not stare at the film strip or Opera makes things go slower, but I do see what's going on the clip or I watched Shuffle!

Old 2008-05-14, 22:03   Link #332
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Zomg HAX animation!!!

Btw...why does the film strip jump around? D:

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2008-05-14, 22:38   Link #333
CrowKenobi

Quote:
I phailed yet again

Try saving in jpeg format instead of memory hog png.

Quote:
Question!

I think that it could go either way... good entry though.

Old 2008-05-14, 22:54   Link #334
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Question!

*sneaks in*

That is win.

*sneaks out*
Old 2008-05-15, 00:53   Link #335
bkg9990
Singin Diamond Crevasse
*Graphic Designer

Hmm, I've lowered the noise pattern and saved into jpeg.

Old 2008-05-15, 00:58   Link #336
CrowKenobi

Quote:
Hmm, I've lowered the noise pattern and saved into jpeg.

Much better! It's still specklely, but surprisingly enough (imho) it adds to the mood.

Old 2008-05-15, 01:02   Link #337
aolas
King Of The Night Sky
*Graphic Designer

huf huf the entry phrase still not closed right?

then this one:

is that count as sorrow/despair?

if yes then it will be my FINAL ENTRY
Old 2008-05-15, 03:32   Link #338
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Ran out of time this month to work on this, so....FINAL ENTRY. Man that sounds ominous!

Best of luck to everyone.

Still two days before the entry phase ends so don't feel too rushed. ^^
Old 2008-05-15, 08:23   Link #339
crazyhorse
Procrastinator

It's still a work in progress, but I want some comments and stuff before I continue on. I know file size is over, etc but I'll work on that later. Thanks!
Old 2008-05-15, 09:09   Link #340
rainbow_rena
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorse View Post

It's still a work in progress, but I want some comments and stuff before I continue on. I know file size is over, etc but I'll work on that later. Thanks!
I really like how this is looking and the theme of the swings within it.
it's a really good idea

Tags
sotm