AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fan Creations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-05-02, 14:39   Link #161
xerotwo
*Graphic Designer

I won't post mine yet, because i don't want to raise the bar yet x3
No offense to the other contestants
Old 2008-05-02, 14:49   Link #162
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
^ that's quite a presumptuous call here.
Ironically enough, I think "raising the bar" will deal more positive effect and motivation than anything. Of course, if you really raise the bar. *cough*
Old 2008-05-02, 15:01   Link #163
Bou
Nyoron~

My entry, its very bad.
Old 2008-05-02, 15:08   Link #164
Rhyel
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyoko View Post
My entry, its very bad.
I like it. She is crying because the space is too tight, It is hurting her.
Old 2008-05-02, 15:18   Link #165
Runa
Fallen Angel
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Runa Send a message via Yahoo to Runa
one of my possible entry :

ver 1

ver 2[darker]

still got time till the deadline, so maybe i'll make another -_-
Old 2008-05-02, 15:50   Link #166
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runa View Post

ver 1

ver 2[darker]

Maybe move the text to either left or right side. It's a little distracting if it's in the center IMO.
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Old 2008-05-02, 17:07   Link #167
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
Originally Posted by xerotwo View Post
I won't post mine yet, because i don't want to raise the bar yet x3
No offense to the other contestants
I lol'd. A lot of your signatures are hit-or-miss though [I either really like them, or meh].
No offense. ^__^

Quote:

ver 1

ver 2[darker]

I'm going to have to agree with Cyz; the text in the center puts too much weight on the center and creates an imbalance in the force with the sides.

You could try moving the text to the left a little bit and darkening it a little [moving it to the right would shove everything to the right side of the signature]. You might also want to try to darken the snow on the left side a little [it's too bright and is distracting].
Old 2008-05-02, 17:20   Link #168
Rhyel
*Graphic Designer

I desagree, the text in center, leaves a movie atmosphere.

Winter Tears... Coming Soon. XD
Old 2008-05-02, 17:22   Link #169
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhyel View Post
I desagree, the text in center, leaves a movie atmosphere.

Winter Tears... Coming Soon. XD
Yeah, that's the first thing that came to mind.

But just because it makes you think of a movie advertisement doesn't mean it's good, especially for this sort of theme. Movie advertisements are made so you are focused on the text, so that's why that's what it reminded you of. The picture in that signature gives off a stronger image of the theme than the text does, so text focus isn't the best idea.
Old 2008-05-02, 17:37   Link #170
escimo
Paparazzi

Tried something a bit different...

C&C very much appreciated.
Old 2008-05-02, 17:43   Link #171
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:

ver 1

ver 2[darker]

Regardless of where you decide to leave the text, I am gonna end up liking this sig (ver. 1) lots!

Good Work!
Old 2008-05-02, 17:53   Link #172
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
Originally Posted by escimo View Post
Tried something a bit different...

C&C very much appreciated.
U NED MOAR ANGST!!1! STRONGER!!

The lack of variation in the background is boring. The fact that the whole signature is only one color with black/white isn't any better.

Monotone signatures can be done well, but in general monotone signatures are stronger in other visual aspects like contrast or emphasis to make up for the fact that monotone isn't as visually impacting as other color combinations.

The focal point of your signature is the text. It stands out the most because it has the biggest change in tone. And, as I've already stated, that part of the signature isn't the most interesting part of the signature, so the signature loses impact.

There's too much negative space in this signature because the foreground doesn't take up enough space, but it doesn't seem that you can make the render any larger without cutting out a lot of the render. Hmm....

You might want to lighten the background a little, but then the there's the problem with the text....

I'm not sure. You might want to wait for a more experienced person to critique you. Even if I put a lot of critiques, it's not horrible. It just doesn't stand out.

Edit: Darn my lack of angst-filled renders!
Old 2008-05-02, 18:22   Link #173
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
The lack of variation in the background is boring. The fact that the whole signature is only one color with black/white isn't any better.

Monotone signatures can be done well, but in general monotone signatures are stronger in other visual aspects like contrast or emphasis to make up for the fact that monotone isn't as visually impacting as other color combinations.
I don't mean for this to sound like a criticism, but his signature isn't monotone It doesn't use a lot of colors, but it does use more than one.

I think that the way that the background blends onto the character is really, really cool (specifically looking at her shoulder). How did you do that?

I agree that the left side of the image looks potentially empty, but being a fan of text in signatures myself, I don't think that it's terribly empty. The rest is just my opinion for how I'd modify the image; take what you will from it:

I'd remove the "Sorrow" from the text, personally, because the image and text itself should be enough to convey the emotion. People seem to like to put the name of the theme into their signatures, but I'm not a huge fan of it. "Please leave me" alone wouldn't be enough to fill that space or keep it overly interesting. I'd either find a quote, a snippet from a story, or just write something (probably nonsensical, because that passes for "artistic" these days) and put it in a smaller font below it to help fill the space. The text really serves more as a counter-balance to the image, but the added benefit is that if anyone takes the time to read it, it should further draw them into the image and ponder it.

If you do that with the text it'll be rather unique, since most people here neglect their text. Do as you please, but don't ignore your text! I often field requests for "what series is your avatar/signature from?" but for my current signature (which I've had up for a year or more, by now) I received two requests to know where the text was from (and one of the inquiries was from NoSanninWa ). People do read the text, so make it good. A picture may say a thousand words, but words give direction to the picture.
Old 2008-05-02, 18:34   Link #174
escimo
Paparazzi

Moved the render a bit, removed sorrow as suggested and played around with levels, hue and saturation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
I think that the way that the background blends onto the character is really, really cool (specifically looking at her shoulder). How did you do that?
Shitload of levels.

Edit: Oops went over the filesize limit. Now fixed.
But now it's sleepytime. Almost 3 am. here...

Last edited by escimo; 2008-05-02 at 18:41. Reason: Image updated.
Old 2008-05-02, 21:35   Link #175
CrowKenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
Actually the first thought that sprung in to mind with this image was "Tsundere" for me. Her expression doesn't really look sorrowful, never mind desperate. (she is making a weird face though, so i guess thats up for interpretation). The blush doesn't really help either. Don't rely on the fact that "Gin is a "tragic" character and most people know it" to get the message across, the composition should speak on its own
Well thats just my take on it, i guess people might disagree
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
I think I will put more emphasis on the post I made when I chosed the theme:
Basically, the signature itself (not the character) must provide the mood and such by itself, and not by the voters knowledge.

I will agree with skyfall: suigintou hardly match the theme in this instance, it looks rather flustered or "tsundereish" than anything.

I will also remind people that relying too much on the characters won't be an advantage at all. I see many people using suigintou, as it is a well known tragic character, but that alone won't do anything to the theme at all. It is too much relative and way too dependant of knowledge etc, which is defying the purpose of mood and atmosphere required for the theme.

KiNA gin's signature is working as intended considering it doesn't rely on it, but I'm afraid to say that Deathkillz's and Crowkenobi are just too obscure and don't convey the mood at all. If the signature relies on the character backstory or explanations, it is missing the intended purpose of the contest.
You both make good points, and as a result, I'm dropping Gin-sama as a sig source... but I still need C&C on my Yowane Haku sig:

Back to looking for more pics!

Old 2008-05-02, 21:37   Link #176
Hakuryu
Klutz

First try~

I haven't done much to it yet, I'm just posting here to see if the theme is right or not. And any comments are welcomed. ...oh, but don't say anything about the font, I just put a random font on to show the text I planned on putting on it. ^^;
Old 2008-05-02, 22:33   Link #177
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko Miko View Post
I made my entry, I hope I get some votes this time!

Too bright >.<

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyoko View Post
My entry, its very bad.
hmm .. Too compressed and too simple.

Quote:

ver 1

ver 2[darker]

I like v1.. Also, maybe lower the opac of the text, so it wont hog the limelight to o much if you plan to stick to the middle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by escimo View Post

Moved the render a bit, removed sorrow as suggested and played around with levels, hue and saturation.

Shitload of levels.

Edit: Oops went over the filesize limit. Now fixed.
But now it's sleepytime. Almost 3 am. here...
I thought your text, Sorrow, please leave me was a plea to sorrow to leave her.. It carries the different meaning to just please leave me .. So you might reconsider it what you actually wanted your sig to tell

Also, I agree with OceanBlue .. the empty space is too much...

As for CK and Haku.. sorry, but I cant just imagine any sorrow or despair from any of yours
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

Last edited by KiNA; 2008-05-02 at 22:44.
Old 2008-05-02, 22:45   Link #178
Axial
Lord of all Lurkers

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
Is that Kyou? Overall I like the rain and background, but since we have a theme that could be interpreted in different ways, I'm not sure if I feel the sorrow from that sig. In this case, the text can make a big difference. I think the rain is pretty obvious, so you could try for a more emotional text.
Yep it's Kyou. ^^

Edited:

Too bad I'm not that great with text. :X
*waves*
Old 2008-05-02, 23:13   Link #179
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhyel View Post
I like it. She is crying because the space is too tight, It is hurting her.
I just had to laugh cause of your lame remark ^^. That aside, it completes the theme perfectly but I think you can add a few effects to make the image look more interesting.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Old 2008-05-03, 03:17   Link #180
escimo
Paparazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiNA View Post
I thought your text, Sorrow, please leave me was a plea to sorrow to leave her.. It carries the different meaning to just please leave me .. So you might reconsider it what you actually wanted your sig to tell
Yup. It originally was a plea to sorrow. However I loved the idea of dropping the sorrow. It was a bit too obvious bitching about ones own unhappiness. Now I think it just arises a nice set of questions which I'm glad to leave to the imagination of the viewer.

Maybe I'll add some artycrap bullshit with that. Working on it...

Last edited by escimo; 2008-05-03 at 04:06.
Closed Thread

Tags
sotm