AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Macross

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier - Episode 05 Rating
Perfect 10 79 54.11%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 40 27.40%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 17 11.64%
7 out of 10 : Good 8 5.48%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.68%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.68%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-05-04, 10:18   Link #101
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Ratings-wise, it's doing as well as it could. It's nowhere near as sensationalistic as let's say, Code Geass, so I doubt it'll ever catch up to that show. I think the numbers for Frontier reminds me of Gundam Wing's way back. Good modern efforts with very good numbers for its target audience (mostly the hardcore fans). I actually think Macross probably has a larger market in the western audience.

As for the ep itself, I guess we can rule out some sort of a genetic-manipulation for the reason why the Zentraedi have elfin ears. It seems even humans have them for some reason, and I blame it on wonky character designs. Then again, I'm not entirely sure because some have truly obvious elfin ears. I don't know. I'm just swinging left and right on how I see them justify it. They never got around to really explaining why the Zentraedi have crazy hair colors but I guess that's a given.

Also, I'm happy that they finally put in a lot of subtle sci-fi lingo and technologies like they did with the first episode. I think the show should start moving on a bit more with the Vajra again after all the extensive exposition and Ranka getting miffed.

Pretty impressed that they got the visuals up for a dating episode too. I hope it doesn't falter every few episodes but that is probably what'll happen. Enjoying it while I can.
Old 2008-05-04, 10:21   Link #102
squaresphere
Macross Lifer!

I thought was the prefect setup ep for the incoming darker eps. Sheryl's stock has increased a lot this ep. The only thing I wish was that Klan would have more lines. It'd be interesting to see what her charcter is like.
Old 2008-05-04, 10:23   Link #103
herbert

I finally revived after unexpectedly taken too much moe-ness from Sheryl. I am speechless now, so just a 10 from me and no more comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Yeah.. he could've gone oh here's some paper but by that time Sheryl was already furiously scribbling lyrics on those massive panties. So she would have to buy them anyway.. I really hope we see them delivered to Grace before the OP next episode lol.
Once she finished lyrics, she can rob our princess for more portable material to transcribe to, and give the original lyrics to Klan Klan as a token of their friendship. I need more Klan Klan X Sheryl, I even prefer this yuri relationship to Sheryl's domination over the princess.

By the way, I hope Michael will die one day at which time he fails to hide from Captain Klan Klan.
Old 2008-05-04, 10:27   Link #104
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Can you imagine him getting smothered between that-which-is-micronized-even-more-than-the-rest-of-her? What a way to go, eh?
Old 2008-05-04, 10:35   Link #105
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
Ratings-wise, it's doing as well as it could. It's nowhere near as sensationalistic as let's say, Code Geass, so I doubt it'll ever catch up to that show.
It's actually outrated the latest season of Code Geass twice out of the first 4 episodes, weeks 1 to 4.

Macross/Geass

1.1/3.0
2.7/2.6
2.3/2.8
2.6/1.4

Low figures for episode 1 were probably due to the Deculture edition being available for 3 months. If you want to compare it to the first season of Geass here's some ratings for it thanks to Kaoru Chujo.

http://hashihime.atspace.com/etc/ratings/2007a.html

Go down to Friday, Geass should still smash it in dvd sales.. but only 5 titles have sold more on avg than Geass anyway...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Can you imagine him getting smothered between that-which-is-micronized-even-more-than-the-rest-of-her? What a way to go, eh?
Quite a few fan arts pics of that already, here's one
Old 2008-05-04, 10:35   Link #106
RamzaOwns
GUN道奥義 「賢者の舞」

Quote:
You misread the columns.. Macross Frontier is 2.5% in the M2 range, To Love Ru is 0.9%. While Macross is 0.3% in TEENS To Love Ru is 3.2% which shows the latter is appealing to the SJ target crowd.
u are right, i did read it wrong...

but ill still say the teenagers are horny kids
Old 2008-05-04, 10:44   Link #107
cerrian

I missed the scene where Micheal hides from Klan. Could someone point it out for me please.
Old 2008-05-04, 10:47   Link #108
Westlo
Lets be reality

Right after he mentions Ice Cream to Ranka on the escalator.

http://randomc.animeblogger.net/imag...Large%2022.jpg
Old 2008-05-04, 11:09   Link #109
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
It's actually outrated the latest season of Code Geass twice out of the first 4 episodes, weeks 1 to 4.

Macross/Geass

1.1/3.0
2.7/2.6
2.3/2.8
2.6/1.4

Low figures for episode 1 were probably due to the Deculture edition being available for 3 months. If you want to compare it to the first season of Geass here's some ratings for it thanks to Kaoru Chujo.

http://hashihime.atspace.com/etc/ratings/2007a.html

Go down to Friday, Geass should still smash it in dvd sales.. but only 5 titles have sold more on avg than Geass anyway...
Yeah, but that was for the first season where all the hype was only beginning to build. Still, the Geass/Macross numbers are pretty enviable for countless great shows I feel are vastly overlooked. I don't think anyone can complain if a show is watched by a million+ each week.
Old 2008-05-04, 13:27   Link #110
Cadorna

Send a message via MSN to Cadorna
Quote:
Yeah, but that was for the first season where all the hype was only beginning to build. Still, the Geass/Macross numbers are pretty enviable for countless great shows I feel are vastly overlooked. I don't think anyone can complain if a show is watched by a million+ each week.
so in japan 1,0 of rating is 1.000.000 of people watching ???
Old 2008-05-04, 13:46   Link #111
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Was pretty funny how Mikhail goes to hide from Klan when he spots her. Sure he got off last time with a bite on his head, but if she saw him at this time it could get a little dicey . A funny moment anyways.

A really nice episode I thought in terms of building something with Alto and Sheryl. Got to see much more of her bright side in comparison to how she looked early. Guess she puts up that outer front and only when you can get through will you get to see that side of her. Some nice times going around. Interesting times like when they were in that locker and the phone was on vibrate .

Looking back surprised that Sheryl's version of "What Bout My Star" was being played earlier in the episode, though of course when Ranka was singing it that was the main focus. Was a nice song to listen to that's for sure. Also was an important step for her to just sing in public, with those who weren't there just to hear her. Mikhail can be tough at times, but was a challenge to take on.

Pretty enjoyable episode I thought.
Old 2008-05-04, 14:09   Link #112
Ardi220288
Rooaaarrrr

I don't know why but I already kind of like Sherly since deculture episode and this episode even push further my moeness of her (10 out of 10 for Sherly). I find Ranka kind of cute and stuff but somewherehow my sense telling me that her character might turn emo in the future (don't ask me the reason it's just the feeling that I get). I'm Glad that we actually see how people live in macross frontier their culture, lifestyle, etc - I found it really enjoyable

PS: I found klan klein quite a hottie when she is a giant (why is it that almost all meltrandi giant look so hot)
Old 2008-05-04, 14:30   Link #113
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Was pretty funny how Mikhail goes to hide from Klan when he spots her. Sure he got off last time with a bite on his head, but if she saw him at this time it could get a little dicey . A funny moment anyways.
Well, possibly he'd have gotten away with no worse than a bite on the head, there, too...

Well, I say "gotten away", but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardi220288 View Post
PS: I found klan klein quite a hottie when she is a giant (why is it that almost all meltrandi giant look so hot)
Maybe it's the engineered race thing. I know that if I designed a humanoid species, "hotness" would be pretty high on my list of desired features...
Old 2008-05-04, 15:33   Link #114
D a m i e n
permanentely bored

Send a message via ICQ to D a m i e n
i guess i was right with my comment from eps3, ranka really needs to stop singing, it s bad for everyone's lifespan

giant thong was lol.
Old 2008-05-04, 15:51   Link #115
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardi220288 View Post
I find Ranka kind of cute and stuff but somewherehow my sense telling me that her character might turn emo in the future (don't ask me the reason it's just the feeling that I get).
Oh definitely imo. She may look cute and innocent now, but her Naive personality will come back to haunt her

Sherly on the other hand is much more stable as a character. It will be interesting to watch how she reacts when things get critical.

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2008-05-04, 16:54   Link #116
rpgman1

Quote:
Ratings-wise, it's doing as well as it could. It's nowhere near as sensationalistic as let's say, Code Geass, so I doubt it'll ever catch up to that show. I think the numbers for Frontier reminds me of Gundam Wing's way back. Good modern efforts with very good numbers for its target audience (mostly the hardcore fans). I actually think Macross probably has a larger market in the western audience.

As for the ep itself, I guess we can rule out some sort of a genetic-manipulation for the reason why the Zentraedi have elfin ears. It seems even humans have them for some reason, and I blame it on wonky character designs. Then again, I'm not entirely sure because some have truly obvious elfin ears. I don't know. I'm just swinging left and right on how I see them justify it. They never got around to really explaining why the Zentraedi have crazy hair colors but I guess that's a given.

Also, I'm happy that they finally put in a lot of subtle sci-fi lingo and technologies like they did with the first episode. I think the show should start moving on a bit more with the Vajra again after all the extensive exposition and Ranka getting miffed.

Pretty impressed that they got the visuals up for a dating episode too. I hope it doesn't falter every few episodes but that is probably what'll happen. Enjoying it while I can.
If Harmony Gold ever ditches the Macross/Robotech license and someone else picks it up in the U.S., then I'll be incredibly happy. Of course, that will never happen since HG still holds onto it and we can't get any new Macross series here.
Old 2008-05-04, 16:58   Link #117
germanturkey
Smiling Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
Sherly on the other hand is much more stable as a character. It will be interesting to watch how she reacts when things get critical.
well, we already saw that in ep 1. caring for herself before others.

anyways, the phone scene gives this ep an automatic 10. the rest of it was just icing
Old 2008-05-04, 17:02   Link #118
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

What we saw was that, unlike Alto, she didn't have delusion of grandeur, thinking she could do something against giant space bugs. How? By singing at them?

Wait. This is Macross. She should have tried that, the bitch.
Old 2008-05-04, 17:04   Link #119
nadesicod25

WOOOHOOO THEY GOING TO SAVE MEGAROAD 7 AKA GALAXY I hope fire bomber is oki he is a cool dude!!!
Old 2008-05-04, 17:27   Link #120
SpaceDrake
This Is Part Of The Plan

Macross Galaxy is the 21st fleet, guarded by the SDF-21; according to the map shown in episode 1, the seventh fleet navigated around the galactic center and is currently in the other spiral arm of the galaxy, far distant from the Frontier. So no, no Max Sterling Jenius and Basara Nekki in the next episode.
Closed Thread