AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Macross

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-05-16, 18:52   Link #61
Wesley84

Yeah, it wasn't really anything we haven't seen before. It had a big gun, it wasn't really clear if it served as a carrier base or a warship, it or it's Captain didn't have the foresight to not waste it's main weapon on an asteriod, instead of the big warship that was hiding behind said asteriod. Not really the Vajra's finest moment.
Old 2008-05-16, 18:59   Link #62
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabris View Post
Anyone who's seen the Episode 7 RAWs think that the capital ship was a bit underwhelming?
Why should it be overwhelming, though? Its noted that both Vajra and UN SPACY use similar technology, except the Vajra is a step further with its biotechnology. On the other hand, as a general rule, Macross ships tend to go down easy. Even the SDF-1 Macross became a half-dead floating grave, then into a relic, by the end of Space War I.

- Tak
Old 2008-05-16, 19:09   Link #63
Wesley84

I happen to like big ships. Finding a decent, non-Trek, series where a capital ship knows how to throw it's weight around, while taking a beating, is hard.
Old 2008-05-16, 20:22   Link #64
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭

I forgot to mention. The Vajra main gun did hit the Quarter, and a big rock in the way really didn't do much to shield the Macross Quarter (as it went through numerous asteroids to get to one cruiser that time). What saved Macross Quarter was its energy barrier. It emerged from the explosion with sparks all over, clearly, it had taken a direct hit, but survived due to its barrier system. It is unlikely it will survive another hit, but then again, Captain Jeff obviously prevented the Vajra from firing, again

- Tak
Old 2008-05-16, 20:35   Link #65
Wesley84

It most certainly wasn't a direct hit. The asteriod clearly took the brunt force of the attack, and exploded violently as a result. What Quarter experienced was probably a portion of the asteriod's mass flying into it, with some splash from the actual attack passing through.

Bottomline it wasn't the full-force of the attack, and was a wasted effort as a result. Asteriods don't count as zero just because they don't count as 100%.
Old 2008-05-16, 20:40   Link #66
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
Bottomline it wasn't the full-force of the attack, and was a wasted effort as a result. Asteriods don't count as zero just because they don't count as 100%.
Based on past experiences, main cannons like that can usually go through several ships without a sweat, unless it struck something more serious, like a Macross-class battleship.

As for the asteroid, that would have felt like paper to the main gun.

- Tak
Old 2008-05-16, 20:49   Link #67
Wesley84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Based on past experiences, main cannons like that can usually go through several ships without a sweat, unless it struck something more serious, like a Macross-class battleship.

As for the asteroid, that would have felt like paper to the main gun.

- Tak
Energy blasts don't "sweat". They expend energy, and they'll inevitably expend lots of it when hitting a two-five kilometer sized asteriod. It doesn't just not count because it's a rock that no one can relate to.

Macross Quarter used cover and the Vajra ship unloaded too early, and left itself vunerable. Hopefully it'll never happen again.
Old 2008-05-17, 03:30   Link #68
ipernorris

I think that manouver made by Macross Quarter had a double purpose:
1) decrease the energy of the beam, thus making it more sustainable by the ship's shields.
2) cover the sight to the enemy ship using the debris resulting from the destroyed asteroid. This way it was denied to the enemy ship the possibility to fire another beam immediately after the first one.

Ah guys: the enemy ship is a carrier or a battle ship in your opinion? I want to add it to the first post, but I need to know this...
I think it's more a battle ship than a carrier, but I would like to read your opinions as well.
Old 2008-05-17, 03:47   Link #69
Wesley84

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipernorris View Post
I think that manouver made by Macross Quarter had a double purpose:
1) decrease the energy of the beam, thus making it more sustainable by the ship's shields.
2) cover the sight to the enemy ship using the debris resulting from the destroyed asteroid. This way it was denied to the enemy ship the possibility to fire another beam immediately after the first one.

Ah guys: the enemy ship is a carrier or a battle ship in your opinion? I want to add it to the first post, but I need to know this...
I think it's more a battle ship than a carrier, but I would like to read your opinions as well.
An issue with two; I don't think the enemy ship was able to fire another blast. There's no way Quarter would have jumped right in front of the thing otherwise. So, it was in cooldown and needed to rest up a bit before firing again. Sad, but true.

I would assume it was a carrier, simply because there has to be something better armed than it in the Vajra's arsenal.
Old 2008-05-17, 12:03   Link #70
Jimmy C

Then it could be a cruiser or battlecruiser, not neccessarily a carrier.
Old 2008-05-17, 15:38   Link #71
Cadorna

Send a message via MSN to Cadorna
tipically, all the ship have carrier capability in macross, friend or foe
Old 2008-05-17, 16:33   Link #72
encia

Quote:
I happen to like big ships. Finding a decent, non-Trek, series where a capital ship knows how to throw it's weight around, while taking a beating, is hard.
Trek ships “cheated” via mass reduction field technobabble.
Old 2008-05-17, 16:53   Link #73
Wesley84

Quote:
Originally Posted by encia View Post
Trek ships “cheated” via mass reduction field technobabble.
I'm not sure what your point is, since nearly every sci-fi series uses some form of "inertia compensation".
Old 2008-05-17, 18:47   Link #74
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO Send a message via Skype™ to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadorna View Post
tipically, all the ship have carrier capability in macross, friend or foe
yeah, since they are big enough for it. although they do still have dedicated Carriers, such as the four deck class, that we see frequently.

Originally SDF-1 was a Gunship/Aegis equivalent class, then it became something of a cross of a carrier, colony ship.

dunno what class i would call it.....Mothership class? heh

I think the name "Macross" is more or less a classification for a Transformable/Carrier/Gunship

Old 2008-05-19, 08:39   Link #75
encia

Quote:
I'm not sure what your point is,
Even in fictional universe, there’s an explanation.

Spoiler for Out of Topic:

Quote:
since nearly every sci-fi series uses some form of "inertia compensation".
Depends on the counter inertia’s field strength.

The “cheat” is not quite a cheat per se since the fictional field has to factor in the conservation of energy principles. The very existence of this technobabble indicates this particular principle.

Asteroid blasting can be use for firepower calculations.

Last edited by encia; 2008-05-19 at 09:08.
Old 2008-05-19, 10:30   Link #76
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

After watching up to 5 and taking a look at the Vajra...

The normal browns, while being cannon fodder, appear to mount some pretty nasty gear; note the decoys they pop off in Ep 1 Broadcast and Deculture; from the way the scene is shot, it appears that not only were the decoys decoying the missiles away, but the impression I got was that the decoys were actively seeking the missiles. Smart kamikaze decoys. Though I could be wrong.

The Reds are, for lack of a better word, haxxed. Hugeass energy gun, Valk guns do jack shit against them, Klan's hugeass cannon didn't work well (although by the way she goes "Shallow hit!" leads me to think that she probably slipped up slightly, and got her cannon off-alignment juuust out of the optimal zone, leading to her borked shot), built-in fold generators AND unlimited missile generation. About the only guns that have actually been shown to work are the Zent gun Alto grabbed (and which I'll bet Klein is gonna be using) and Mikhail's sniper gunpod.

As we say in Nanoha OC thread, haxx.

Then again since the Vajra are the bad guys they get a pass on the haxx.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2008-05-23, 10:49   Link #77
squaresphere
Macross Lifer!

from ep 7 I thought it was curious that the Reds wouldn't use their large cannon on the crippled Galaxy ships to make short work of them. Makes be think they had an alternative goal rather than straight destruction.

The Vajra battleship that was called in could have been signaled in when the battle was turning against them.

Also I forgot who mentioned it (might have been some blog i read) but the fact that the Vajra had a super advance fold reactor while having almost no brain just cements the fact they're being controlled by something.
Old 2008-05-23, 13:56   Link #78
finalnight
Supreme Commander

The vajra are highly reminiscent of the shivans in freespace.
Old 2008-05-23, 16:36   Link #79
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO Send a message via Skype™ to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalnight View Post
The vajra are highly reminiscent of the shivans in freespace.
in what way?

Old 2008-05-23, 17:42   Link #80
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭

Yeah, sure as heck does not remind me of the Shivans the way I remember them.

- Tak
Closed Thread