AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2008-05-04, 15:49   Link #1
lubczyk

VFR in WMV/VC-1?

Is it possible to encode Variable Frame Rate video into VC-1/WMV and if so how?

I am taking some softsub MKVs with VFR Video and trying to hardsub them to view on my PS3. Reencoding into either Divx 6.8 or H264 happens to be too slow for my taste so I've tried using VC-1 using a combination of Windows Media Encoder and Microsoft Expression Encoder along with Avisynth.
lubczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-04, 21:18   Link #2
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

WMV does support VFR but good luck on finding any tools that lets you mux in timecodes manually. I don't know of any. If you do find any please let us know.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-05, 00:32   Link #3
fireshark
CRF Believer
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to fireshark
WMV is MANLY VFR.
fireshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-05, 02:12   Link #4
jfs
Aegisub dev

When using Microsoft's tools to produce VMW files (Windos Media Video in ASF container) you automatically get "inferred VFR", it drops (mostly) duplicate frames and extends the duration of the previous one. If you use 120 fps (ugh) input I think you could get somewhat sensible results.

Aegisub developer [ Forum | Manual | Feature requests | Bug reports | IRC ]
Don't ask for: More VSFilter changes (I won't), karaoke effects, help in PM's
jfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-05, 02:36   Link #5
Dark Shikari
x264 Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubczyk View Post
Is it possible to encode Variable Frame Rate video into VC-1/WMV and if so how?

I am taking some softsub MKVs with VFR Video and trying to hardsub them to view on my PS3. Reencoding into either Divx 6.8 or H264 happens to be too slow for my taste so I've tried using VC-1 using a combination of Windows Media Encoder and Microsoft Expression Encoder along with Avisynth.
Wait, DivX and H.264 are slower than VC-1? I think you're doing it wrong, because the Microsoft VC-1 encoder is basically the most inefficient encoder I've seen except for actual reference encoders (e.g. JM). Well, maybe VP7 is worse, but since their standard is proprietary there's no way of knowing how complex the actual format is.
Dark Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-05, 17:52   Link #6
lubczyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfs View Post
When using Microsoft's tools to produce VMW files (Windos Media Video in ASF container) you automatically get "inferred VFR", it drops (mostly) duplicate frames and extends the duration of the previous one. If you use 120 fps (ugh) input I think you could get somewhat sensible results.
Could you point me in the right direction? I have very little idea what Microsoft Tools you're referring to.
lubczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-05, 18:02   Link #7
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubczyk View Post
Could you point me in the right direction? I have very little idea what Microsoft Tools you're referring to.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote