AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Macross

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier - Episode 06 Rating
Perfect 10 56 39.44%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 48 33.80%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 23 16.20%
7 out of 10 : Good 13 9.15%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.70%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.70%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-05-12, 02:09   Link #141
Mandoric
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy001_M1A2 View Post
Was it me or the animation quality dropped a lot for this ep?
Tweening was outsourced to the Phillipines this time.
Mandoric is offline  
Old 2008-05-12, 03:02   Link #142
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
Why did Alto lie? Because he was at the mall with Sheryl. THE Sheryl. Bad enough Michael was hazing him about it, he didn't want to compound the misunderstandings further with Ranka. He wanted to spare himself the grief of being in a celebrity's shadow.
And as I said, he didn't have to say he was with Sheryl.

Quote:
And need I remind the reason he went to the mall in the first place was because he spotted Ranka getting on the train?
So? It's likely he lied because he's afraid of there being a misunderstanding between him and Ranka, but that strategy backfired, as he should have known it could. After all, Ranka and Michel were together, and Michel saw him. Why not Ranka?

Quote:
I thought the interview with Sheryl was pretty typical of what you'd get out of any celebrity's interview. The reporters asked her some dumb questions, questions that would have been better asked of a politician or someone knowledgeable, not a celebrity who had a personal attachment to the current crisis. And she answered them like you'd expect a celebrity to answer; inconsiderately.

She shouldn't have take any questions. She should have left it at thanks, maybe make a statement along the lines of only having eachother to depend upon while traveling through space, and that if it was the other way around, Galaxy would have come to Frontier's aid. She didn't need to act indignant and to declare her intention of committing an empty gesture of solidarity.
Only in the most totalitarian states do we get spokespeople going "This is how it's going to be. No questions." (Well, not quite. In the most totalitarian states, there's no need to inform anyone of anything.) She called a press conference, she had to take questions.

And as a star, boosting people's morale, stiffening their spines is well within her purview. She didn't make the decision, she supported it. It's normal she'd make sure people around her did too. It's the same as posting on the internet about which candidate you prefer... except she's doing in on TV. Because she's a star.

You said it was stupid to listen to a singer's word as if they mattered. You're right. But it's also stupid to believe people aren't stupid. And to not make use of it. Stupid or not, people do listen to entertainers and athletes. Throwing away such a propaganda tool would be daft.

About her returning to Galaxy: what I think she meant is, she's going to do her concert, as planned. In the meantime, Frontier's forces are going to kick the invader off her home, and she'll be able to return soon after in relative safety. She didn't mean she'd smuggle herself to a warzone. It's just another example of morale boosting. And professionalism.

Quote:
I think the earring thing was resolved too quickly. Sure, it was inserted in after the pilot episode to give Sheryl a reason to stalk Alto, but it ended up feeling forced, especially when Alto hanged the earring up in his cockpit. That seemed out of character of him, doubly so when he was smiling at the darn thing.
I think it means they've come to see each other as friends. It is rather fast (but, if you think about it, no faster than the development of Ranka's and Alto's relationship. Ranka's got what, one more hour of acquaintance?)

They just clicked. It's not necessarily better than what he has with Ranka, but it's more equal. Whereas Ranka is someone to be protected and comforted, Sheryl is someone he can talk to. And he is someone Sheryl can talk to as a person rather than a star, which apparently is pretty rare.

Quote:
And her admitting to being alone on Galaxy and hating the place, I think that's the sort of thing you admit after you know for sure the place has been trashed. When you have a real reason to cry. Like "I'd always hated living there, but now that it's gone..." That kind of deal.
She was admitting her fear it was lost. Sure, she couldn't do that on TV. But, as I said - friends. And what she said was growing up there, alone, was horrible. But we're not really sure what she felt about it after becoming The Sheryl Nome(tm). And more importantly, it was still her home. She was explaining to Alto that old saying "You never know what you have until you've lost it". Or, in this case, "possibly lost it". And it's not like it's completely useless, because Alto's in a similar situation regarding his home. He also doesn't like it, and it's also threatened by the Vajra. Though the threat is somewhat less immediate, of course.

Quote:
They're really massaging Ranka's character more than they are Sheryl's. That's what I think. I think this episode proves it, along with adding in the earring thing.
The earring thing is really about Sheryl, not Ranka. It shows off her bond with Alto. (And it's really not resolved, since it's still in Alto's possession.)

But hey, it's normal. To have a good love triangle, all sides have to be developed. First few episodes were for Ranka, then Sheryl. I guess it'll be Ranka's turn again soon.
Anh_Minh is offline  
Old 2008-05-12, 03:15   Link #143
Westlo
Lets be reality
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
To go back to the Sheryl date thing in regards to following Ranka/Michael... it was Sheryl who lead Alto onto the train when they run away from onlookers who noticed who she was... Alto took her to a farm to show it off since Sheryl was in awe of Frontier's scenery. It was Sheryl's idea to go to the Zentradi mall after the farm not Alto's and it wasn't like Alto was franticly looking for Ranka and Michael when he was with her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
And as a star, boosting people's morale, stiffening their spines is well within her purview. She didn't make the decision, she supported it. It's normal she'd make sure people around her did too. It's the same as posting on the internet about which candidate you prefer... except she's doing in on TV. Because she's a star.

You said it was stupid to listen to a singer's word as if they mattered. You're right. But it's also stupid to believe people aren't stupid. And to not make use of it. Stupid or not, people do listen to entertainers and athletes. Throwing away such a propaganda tool would be daft.

About her returning to Galaxy: what I think she meant is, she's going to do her concert, as planned. In the meantime, Frontier's forces are going to kick the invader off her home, and she'll be able to return soon after in relative safety. She didn't mean she'd smuggle herself to a warzone. It's just another example of morale boosting. And professionalism.
Yeah she was just used as a talking head... Leon made that clear in his talk to Cathy. It was a morale booster type talk...
Westlo is offline  
Old 2008-05-12, 03:31   Link #144
FLCL
I've been Kawarolled
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Age: 24
Send a message via AIM to FLCL
i gave it a 9/10

with the plot asside, the beautiful visuals and little details make it hard for m to personally notice some of the flaws in the animation. This show is turning out just as i wanted it too. NOW FOR A NEKI BASARA CAMEO
FLCL is offline  
Old 2008-05-12, 06:04   Link #145
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Some say it's 'stupidity' to listen to athletes and celebrities, but we do that on a daily basis so what difference does that make? Also, I don't think it's entirely stupid of us as a population to do so. These kinds of trends, for better or worse, reflect how they resonate with our culture. I mean, sure it sounds cool to say that you are not influenced by mere sports/celebs, but let's not kid ourselves.

Also, FINALLY WE HEAR THE ORCHESTRAL OVERTURES. FINALLY.

PS- Speaking of the warp problems apparent in Macross Universe, I think the episode's OP made it pretty clear why: The fold disturbances. Hence it can't exactly 'insta-warp' like with Star Wars or go on continuous trek barring engine power like in Star Trek.
SuperKnuckles is offline  
Old 2008-05-12, 06:10   Link #146
herbert
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Galactic Fairy Fanclub
Ranka is dynamic character while Sheryl is more of a round character. Ranka has changed a lot, while Sheryl just shows the depth of her personality, she is quite static until this moment in character progression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
What I find more interesting is that Ozma was warning Ranka to stop singing if things get weird - does he know of some connection to the Vajra and her voice that everyone else doesn't? Or is he telling her to get to safety instead of trying to be Minmay should the Vajra attack again? Well, that and having Bobby immediately cringe at Ozma's statement and his quick retreat - it seems he's quite genre savvy and knows that was a jinx.
I think you get his words wrong. What he says is that Ranka is 16 already, and one more year she will be an adult so he can't forever take care of her like a baby. Having said that, he quickly adds that this, however, doesn't mean Ranka is allowed to do any kind of weird thing or he will call a halt to Ranka's singing career.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
And as I said, he didn't have to say he was with Sheryl.
That is quite simple, Ranka just digs a hole for herself. She doesn't understand Alto wants to end that topic as soon as possible. What would be a quicker way to end it than simply answering YES to Ranka's badly worded question?
__________________
herbert is offline  
Old 2008-05-12, 06:50   Link #147
Ardi220288
Rooaaarrrr
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
nice episode I especially like the song toward the end.

the triangle relationship keeps getting hotter this time. I feel bad for Ranka but at the same time I'm rooting for Sherly - hmmm such a complex feeling. Ranka = minmay Sherly = misa Mikhail = kaifun everyone?

PS: that sexual harassment really nice specially whe she "Actually" like it
Ardi220288 is offline  
Old 2008-05-12, 06:52   Link #148
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbert View Post
Ranka is dynamic character while Sheryl is more of a round character. Ranka has changed a lot, while Sheryl just shows the depth of her personality, she is quite static until this moment in character progression.
Yes. That's because Ranka's becoming an adult, deciding on what she wants to do with her life and stuff. Sheryl's already there.


Quote:
I think you get his words wrong. What he says is that Ranka is 16 already, and one more year she will be an adult so he can't forever take care of her like a baby. Having said that, he quickly adds that this, however, doesn't mean Ranka is allowed to do any kind of weird thing or he will call a halt to Ranka's singing career.
Yeah. I think he's more worried about sex and drugs and other show biz vices than about secret government projects.
Anh_Minh is offline  
Old 2008-05-12, 06:59   Link #149
Wesley84
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardi220288 View Post
nice episode I especially like the song toward the end.

the triangle relationship keeps getting hotter this time. I feel bad for Ranka but at the same time I'm rooting for Sherly - hmmm such a complex feeling. Ranka = minmay Sherly = misa Mikhail = kaifun everyone?

PS: that sexual harassment really nice specially whe she "Actually" like it
I'm sure he slaps everyone's butt. Except Ozma's because he won a bet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Wesley84 how is Sheryl's earring plot tacked on when it's been in the 5 month old (and that's ignoring all the prep time before it started to get published) Frontier manga from the start? Don't act like they came up with this idea in February... just because it wasn't in Deculture...
They came up with it after they animated the pilot then, which was probably prepared at least a month in advanced of the manga. I doubt it was a scene they dropped out of Deculture simply because the whole "rescue" thing interrupted the entire battle/concert sequence, which it did. More than anything, that's why I can't forgive the Darn Earring subplot. Instead of a concert and a battle, we get Alto carrying Sheryl around.
Wesley84 is offline  
Old 2008-05-12, 07:38   Link #150
Zap
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuyaaids View Post
Hehehe wait for Microsoft Surface to show up
That's exactly what I thought.

http://www.microsoft.com/surface/index.html

So, we have at least one thing that's guaranteed to happen in RL by the Macross-verse year.
Zap is offline  
Old 2008-05-12, 07:47   Link #151
ipernorris
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbert View Post
Ranka is dynamic character while Sheryl is more of a round character. Ranka has changed a lot, while Sheryl just shows the depth of her personality, she is quite static until this moment in character progression.
I don't think so. Sheryl seemed the classic bitchy famous person who believes to be a deity among the mortals at first, but then this appearance changed dramatically to the point it's clear now she's a sweet and thoughtful woman. She gave her beloved ear-ring to Alto in order to bring him good luck and this is priceless imho.
Ranka instead is changing for the worse: I hope she won't become another Lin Minmei because I don't like her at all. This phenomenon, that I call "bitchyfication", happens very often among people who suddenly become famous for some reason: they forget they are only VERY LUCK persons among many other common persons and they start thing to be special, to be unique, to be SUPERIOR...
ipernorris is offline  
Old 2008-05-12, 08:05   Link #152
CaptGloval
New Macross soon
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Macross 30 Emigration Fleet
As for that fancy table, the technology is here:

CaptGloval is offline  
Old 2008-05-12, 08:19   Link #153
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
I don't know. So far, Ranka seems more lost than bitchy. (Though of course, that may be her future.) And alone, too. She's about to embark in the adventure of her life, but, well, instead of getting support from her brother and Alto, they go off to maybe get killed. And Nanase is already starting to treat her like a different person.
Anh_Minh is offline  
Old 2008-05-12, 08:20   Link #154
Westlo
Lets be reality
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
They came up with it after they animated the pilot then, which was probably prepared at least a month in advanced of the manga. I doubt it was a scene they dropped out of Deculture simply because the whole "rescue" thing interrupted the entire battle/concert sequence, which it did. More than anything, that's why I can't forgive the Darn Earring subplot. Instead of a concert and a battle, we get Alto carrying Sheryl around.
So is all forgiven for the 32 minute dvd/blueray final version than which will more than likely have Don't Be Late played in full to fit in both things? Something was going to get cut anyway since the Deculture version was 27 minutes long with no OP. At least the added Sheryl scenes made Alto's interaction with Sheryl during the evacation make a bit more sense... that kinda came from nowhere in Deculture.
Westlo is offline  
Old 2008-05-12, 08:25   Link #155
herbert
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Galactic Fairy Fanclub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
They came up with it after they animated the pilot then, which was probably prepared at least a month in advanced of the manga. I doubt it was a scene they dropped out of Deculture simply because the whole "rescue" thing interrupted the entire battle/concert sequence, which it did. More than anything, that's why I can't forgive the Darn Earring subplot. Instead of a concert and a battle, we get Alto carrying Sheryl around.
Even though it doesn't show the whole incident in deculture ver., it does show the footage Alto rushes towards Sheryl (with that action in broadcast ep 1 he knock Sheryl out of stage.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipernorris View Post
I don't think so. Sheryl seemed the classic bitchy famous person who believes to be a deity among the mortals at first, but then this appearance changed dramatically to the point it's clear now she's a sweet and thoughtful woman. She gave her beloved ear-ring to Alto in order to bring him good luck and this is priceless imho.
You need to watch deculture edition first to know there is no a single dramatic change for Sheryl. There are a lots of stuff are cut off due to time restraint. Remember the first line she says in deculture ver.? Strawberry pie! Where inside Galaxy would a deity among the mortals says such thing in her dream?

Oh, by the way, just the description you gave. I'd like to call that kind of character round characters.
__________________
herbert is offline  
Old 2008-05-12, 08:33   Link #156
CaptGloval
New Macross soon
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Macross 30 Emigration Fleet
About that lie Alto gave, Ranka knows the truth, why didn't she point out Alto's falsehood immediately?
CaptGloval is offline  
Old 2008-05-12, 08:35   Link #157
herbert
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Galactic Fairy Fanclub
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptGloval View Post
About that lie Alto gave, Ranka knows the truth, why didn't she point out Alto's falsehood immediately?
Same reasons why she asks a question she already knows its answer in the 1st place.
__________________
herbert is offline  
Old 2008-05-12, 08:39   Link #158
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Also, if she pushes and ask why he was alone with Sheryl, he can ask why she was alone with Mikhail...
Anh_Minh is offline  
Old 2008-05-12, 08:43   Link #159
Wesley84
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
So is all forgiven for the 32 minute dvd/blueray final version than which will more than likely have Don't Be Late played in full to fit in both things? Something was going to get cut anyway since the Deculture version was 27 minutes long with no OP. At least the added Sheryl scenes made Alto's interaction with Sheryl during the evacation make a bit more sense... that kinda came from nowhere in Deculture.
Hell no. I think the Earring Subplot was stupid to begin with. Just you wait, they'll turn out to be magical Earrings of Fate, and will Deus Ex Machina an ending for us.
Wesley84 is offline  
Old 2008-05-12, 09:01   Link #160
ReddyRedWolf
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Didn't happen to Gamlin in Macross 7?

Sure it's a lucky pendant from Mylene but I was pretty sure his VF-17 Nightmare was blown on collision.

I doubted his survival back then because he's a supporting character who would go out like Guld Bowman.

But here Alto is the main star so his plot armour would be thick. Though not as thick as Nekki Basara.
ReddyRedWolf is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:52.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.