AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Macross

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier - Episode 07 Rating
Perfect 10 123 72.78%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 25 14.79%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 16 9.47%
7 out of 10 : Good 2 1.18%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 1.18%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.59%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-05-20, 00:00   Link #301
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by CzCz View Post
so when alto's vf blew up, did he lose sheryl's earring?
Inconclusive at this stage, should find out next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuabel View Post
The captain's lock-on missile system reminds me of freedom...lol
Roy did that in Macross Zero OVA 1 a good 6 months before Freedom debuted in SEED.

Quote:
Originally Posted by U<3Anime View Post
Seriously though, I think some of you guys are really over-rating the fight. "best space battle in an anime ever"?, "better than any battles in gundam?" . I just think the battle is pretty decent. I guess I'll just watch the episode again just to make sure. >_>
People are on a high from seeing those scenes so it's expected. Still in comparing the first 7 episodes to the first 7 episodes of every other recent mecha series nothing compares to Frontier except Gurren Lagann. The 2 Geass series.. noway near it, Gundam 00 nope, Idolmaster nope, Gigantic Formula, nope etc.
Old 2008-05-20, 00:13   Link #302
cerrian

Just saw Gattai's release, now I can finally read these threads. My initial reaction is:

I like the way they opened and closed this episode. It had a good flow.

Konig Monster...fuck yeah! Listening to the comm chatter as it came in for a landing made me giggle like a school girl.

=( not enough Meltran action.

Bonus points to Luca for having some neat pet drones...major bonus points for the aliens eating up the shota.... damn Alto for saving him

Holy cow, does Sheryl look hot in that dress.

Ozma's missile scene...pure Macross love right there.

Alto had better not have lost that earring.

anyways, I'm off to watch it a 2nd time

**edit - I'm actually surprised that they wrapped up this battle in a single episode. I was expecting it to be drawn out across 2-3 episodes. A lot was accomplished in 24 mins.
Old 2008-05-20, 00:40   Link #303
rpgman1

Watched Gattai's release as well and was shocked that the battle was finished in that episode.
Gotta love what the Macross series is about and it shows. Praise this series for being pure nostalgia!
Old 2008-05-20, 00:46   Link #304
U<3Anime
Boo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Inconclusive at this stage, should find out next week.

People are on a high from seeing those scenes so it's expected. Still in comparing the first 7 episodes to the first 7 episodes of every other recent mecha series nothing compares to Frontier except Gurren Lagann. The 2 Geass series.. noway near it, Gundam 00 nope, Idolmaster nope, Gigantic Formula, nope etc.
You know what.......I think I'm just being bias against CG in anime. I'm just really kind of unimpressed and bothered most of the time when an anime mixes 3D with 2D. I can't quite point out what it is, but cg in anime lacks something that plain 2-D anime don't have. = |

I'm not saying that the fight scenes in macross frontier totally sucks because it is one of the better series that actually does well with CG.
Old 2008-05-20, 00:58   Link #305
dodgethis_sg
Storm of Her Wrath

Quote:
Roy did that in Macross Zero OVA 1 a good 6 months before Freedom debuted in SEED.
And Roy did not have to rely on shitty computer to do it for him. Hand-eye co-ordination FTFW.
Old 2008-05-20, 01:01   Link #306
kuyaaids

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuabel View Post

The captain's lock-on missile system reminds me of freedom...lol

If only Gundam seed has half of this quality of battle *sighs*.....still won't save destiny though.
Just about every mecha anime exhibited multi-missile attacks after seeing the original Macross's Super Valkyries.... MOSPAEDA, and Gundam are just a few.
Old 2008-05-20, 01:05   Link #307
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

Yahoo! Yea! Weee!

Spoiler for episode 7 comments:
Old 2008-05-20, 01:08   Link #308
SymphonicRain

Quote:
Originally Posted by U<3Anime
You know what.......I think I'm just being bias against CG in anime. I'm just really kind of unimpressed and bothered most of the time when an anime mixes 3D with 2D. I can't quite point out what it is, but cg in anime lacks something that plain 2-D anime don't have. = |
Using CGs in anime has its pluses. Especially in the area of saving time and the reutilising already established resources. For instance, the combat scenes uses the same model of the VFs instead of redrawing every single VFs in every framerate. Sometimes drawing airplanes in certain angles can look very strange and may take longer time to construct a scene, which the timespan of the artists allowed to build such scenes for TV series makes it impossible.

So in all, CG helps to establish consistency in modelling and takes shorter time to build a dogfight scene. Otherwise, we may see problems and instances the Gundam Seed series and the old Macross TV series where they had to recycle the same combat footages over and over again. CG discourages that from happening and this is what we had seen for MF for the past 7 episodes thus far.
Old 2008-05-20, 01:11   Link #309
Wesley84

Quote:
With the exception of Gurren Lagann, you're right on the money with all cited examples. This last battle was a huge disappointment, but it doesn't make the previous battles less than what they were, nor that future battles will have more in common with the former, rather than the latter.

I just can't help but think the scope will never go beyond what Quarter and the SMS can do, despite the hype about there being thousands of ships in Colony fleet. Ace Pilots and their Super Mecha, thinking they're so freakin' important and screaming at their top of their lungs...
Old 2008-05-20, 01:14   Link #310
Westlo
Lets be reality

I'm saying that Gurren Lagann had dope battle scenes in its first 7 episodes like Macross Frontier and unlike the others! Also the scope will get bigger... there's this thing called the Battle Frontier/25 that hasn't been used yet which is at least 4 times longer than the Quarter... Obviously won't be as big as the Love Drifts Away battle from the original series but that's impossible with just Frontier's fleet... Earth vs an entire Zentradi armada...
Old 2008-05-20, 01:28   Link #311
Wesley84

Quote:
I'm saying that Gurren Lagann had dope battle scenes in its first 7 episodes like Macross Frontier and unlike the others! Also the scope will get bigger... there's this thing called the Battle Frontier/25 that hasn't been used yet which is at least 4 times longer than the Quarter... Obviously won't be as big as the Love Drifts Away battle from the original series but that's impossible with just Frontier's fleet... Earth vs an entire Zentradi armada...
I know what you're saying. I'm just saying you're wrong.

And I think you're misunderstanding me when I mention scope. I don't mean a bigger, all your eggs in one basket mecha. I mean, a pair of fleets engaging eachother where even a transforming 300,000 ton carrier won't make much of a difference and is as much fodder as everyone else.

I want a war. Not wanky heroic bits of mecha action.
Old 2008-05-20, 01:33   Link #312
kamikazex

im starting to like this series more and more...
Old 2008-05-20, 01:34   Link #313
Kollunz

macross quarter: "FIRE THE SPIRAL BEEMU! WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK WE ARE?"

and when luca was "eaten up"
alto: "HOWWARDDD MASSSOONN!!! er... LUUCCAAAA!"
Old 2008-05-20, 01:45   Link #314
cerrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
I know what you're saying. I'm just saying you're wrong.

And I think you're misunderstanding me when I mention scope. I don't mean a bigger, all your eggs in one basket mecha. I mean, a pair of fleets engaging eachother where even a transforming 300,000 ton carrier won't make much of a difference and is as much fodder as everyone else.

I want a war. Not wanky heroic bits of mecha action.

It would be awesome to see a full blown war depicted with large scale fleet engagements in Frontier. Unfortunately I highly doubt we're going to see it because it'll require the series to shift its storytelling perspective towards a more strategic/command level perspective which would allow the audience to get a better grasp of the scope of the conflict. If Macross had like 10 more characters and at least 12 more episodes, then I could see that happening.

Who knows...I could be proven wrong as the series progresses. As it is, I'm already surprised to see them show battles with multiple capital class ships this early in the series. We may very well see the scope of the battles to increase with a greater focus on the capital class ships.

edit - On another note, Ranka's phone shows us something new once again. I'm going to retire at 30 if I ever finish a prototype of it. Also, did anyone notice how Macross Quarter puts away the flight deck right before firing the gun?

edit 2 - As for Gurren Lagann, the last 2-3 episodes cheated us out of a proper epic ending. Instead of whole fleets and 2 different civilizations fighting a desperate battle, all we got was 2 mechs tossing around toy universes....what the hell was epic about that? All Gainax had to do was live up to expectations that they themselves had set up in the opening of the first episode and all would have been okay. Anyways, that ends my rant.

Last edited by cerrian; 2008-05-20 at 01:56.
Old 2008-05-20, 01:56   Link #315
SymphonicRain

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerrian
It would be awesome to see a full blown war depicted with large scale fleet engagements in Frontier. Unfortunately I highly doubt we're going to see it because it'll require the series to shift its storytelling perspective towards a more strategic/command level perspective which would allow the audience to get a better grasp of the scope of the conflict. If Macross had like 10 more characters and at least 12 more episodes, then I could see that happening.
Right on the spot. Thus far the only series I am aware of that manage to capture such scenes would be Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

For an anime series that is only 25 episodes long, its hard to balance between character developments and focusing on strategic level perspectives without losing much story progression grounds as a result

At the thought of that, I would prefer MF to simply focus on character relationships and how the war develop their respective characters than the war itself. As much as I would love to see Macross for the first time expand its focus on tactics, strategy, the finer details of the war, it isn't what Macross is all about in the end.

To sum up what Macross is all about, I'll just insert 4Tran's recent quote that hits the mark:

Spoiler:

A factor that every Macross series I am aware of begins with and ends with.
Old 2008-05-20, 03:36   Link #316
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Eps 7... is... just... full.. of... fucking... win. END OF STORY.

I don't care what anybody else says... I was half asleep when I first started watching and am now fully awake 4:30 in the morning after seeing this in full 1080p glory. And I don't think I'll be sleeping anytime soon from that adrenaline rush. How many shows can I name that can do that? None from this season, that's for sure.

Awesome? Hell yeah!

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Old 2008-05-20, 03:52   Link #317
psycrop

great episode...not gonna lie.
Old 2008-05-20, 03:55   Link #318
TrueKnight

I agree with everyone. This episode was just fucking awesome. I blacked out from the sheer amount of explosions, dogfights and awesomeness presented.

The Quarter Macross was just win, reminded me of Arc Gurren Lagann.
Old 2008-05-20, 04:17   Link #319
GoTz
Deleted

hooooooolllyyyyyyy ****!!!!! excellent episode

and for the whole singing bit, if you don't like it now and don't think you'll ever like it, drop this series now because it's seriously not for you. however, you're missing out

Currently Watching:Bleach, Naruto, Vampire Knight, Nabari no Ou, Code Geass 2, Macross Frontier, KGNE, Higurashi,
Kanon 2006,
Top Favorites:Scrapped Princess, Wolf's Rain, Juuni Kokki, Hunter x Hunter, Code Geass, Serei no Moribito, Death Note, Eureka Seven, Claymore
Old 2008-05-20, 06:55   Link #320
Westlo
Lets be reality

This weeks rating is 1.8% down from 2.0% last week.

Episode 7: 1.8%
Episode 6: 2.0%
Episode 5: 1.9%
Episode 4: 2.6%
Episode 3: 2.3%
Episode 2: 2.7%
Episode 1: 1.1%
Closed Thread