AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-05-17, 20:45   Link #21
karasuma
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Yes, archiving on DVD is getting harder. Imagine that I start with CDR. Anyway, for around 4x the price of archiving on DVD, you can get a 500G harddrive with a USB hardcase and dump them all there in one go.. Save you time but more expensive.

Like most people, I bought boxset and especially OSTs/artbook for collection purpose. You know that unlike James bond movies, you won't find these anime forsale 20 years from now. Maybe the anime itself but definitely not the OSTs.
karasuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-17, 21:39   Link #22
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 29
So far, I haven't listened to a series OST that deserves to be on sale 20 years from now. Singles, maybe. But, whole OSTs?
yezhanquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-17, 22:12   Link #23
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
So far, I haven't listened to a series OST that deserves to be on sale 20 years from now. Singles, maybe. But, whole OSTs?
Wow... just... wow. I would definitely have something to say about that, except that it's horribly off-topic to begin with.

I agree with karasuma's point -- this stuff won't be around forever, so if you're going to collect things, there's no time like the present. All the more for Japanese limited edition stuff, where you often don't have any chance if you don't order at least a few weeks ahead.
__________________
[...]
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-17, 22:14   Link #24
karasuma
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Maybe not the whole OSTs.

Of course, this varies from person to person. Each person's music taste is
different. For me, I really like KOR sound track, I like it when I got no money almost 15 years ago. Now, those CD prices are all jack up as collectable prices.

For the KOR artbook, I think I miss the chance already. ;_;

Now, I won't make the same mistake. For the one that I really like, I will buy them. Like Hack Sign OST1&2, Noir 1&2, Ghost in the Shell SAC OST, Fate Stay OST...etc... Trinity blood's OP/ED and insert song are really good too.

They are available with cheaper price if they get licensed in US. Otherwise, they are not cheap.
karasuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-17, 22:20   Link #25
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Wow... just... wow. I would definitely have something to say about that, except that it's horribly off-topic to begin with.

I agree with karasuma's point -- this stuff won't be around forever, so if you're going to collect things, there's no time like the present. All the more for Japanese limited edition stuff, where you often don't have any chance if you don't order at least a few weeks ahead.
It's ok, relentlessflame. When it comes to anime OSTs, I reject more than what I should.

Besides, I don't deny that there are good OSTs out there. But, a "classic"? If it can last for 20, it can last for 50 and so far, anime music hasn't reached that stage.

karasuma: I'm sure you're after the CD sleeves/ other stuff. The songs themselves can be obtained through.. you know...
yezhanquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-17, 22:30   Link #26
karasuma
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
It's ok, relentlessflame. When it comes to anime OSTs, I reject more than what I should.

Besides, I don't deny that there are good OSTs out there. But, a "classic"?

karasuma: I'm sure you're after the CD sleeves/ other stuff. The songs themselves can be obtained through.. you know...
With internet, that is more true than before. So, I buy them for CD inserts, lossless quality of them and show my support to creators. Internet is not a guarantee for that though. For example, if you can find Kiddy Grade Lossless CD, I will give you kudo for that.. That is only 5 years ago.
karasuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-17, 22:37   Link #27
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 29
KG... With any luck, when KG 2 airs, the company might just re-release the CDs.

Well, I searched for Kiddy Grade (in katakana) at amazon.co.jp. Seems pretty ok to me.
yezhanquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-18, 12:25   Link #28
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
I'm sure you're after the CD sleeves/ other stuff. The songs themselves can be obtained through.. you know...
Sigh... this is precisely the sort of discussion I didn't want to get into in this thread because it's so off-topic. Suffice it to say that I'm very glad that there are enough people buying anime CDs that the quality remains as high as it is, and let's leave it at that.
__________________
[...]
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-18, 18:04   Link #29
Potatochobit
Certified Organic
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
I have to disagree with you. collecting limited edition sets has no value at all.

out of the thousands of dollars I have spent collecting limited edition video games and anime videos, every single one of them have lost of value or have no value.

only buy a limited edition product if you like the extras it comes with. you will get a much larger return on your money by investing the money in your savings account instead.

and there will 'always' be something 'new' to collect and you could also say there is 'always' something 'older' to collect as well.

it also doesnt help how every software company in the world always looks for a way to rehash their old releases and make 'budget' collections.
__________________
*Retired*
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-18, 18:39   Link #30
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Sigh... this is precisely the sort of discussion I didn't want to get into in this thread because it's so off-topic. Suffice it to say that I'm very glad that there are enough people buying anime CDs that the quality remains as high as it is, and let's leave it at that.
Well, the quality of anime music is becoming higher, as mainstream groups/singers decide that it's worth their shot entering this market. Seriously, "anime" music now is hardly any different from mainstream J-pop.
yezhanquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-19, 04:23   Link #31
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatochobit View Post
I have to disagree with you. collecting limited edition sets has no value at all.

out of the thousands of dollars I have spent collecting limited edition video games and anime videos, every single one of them have lost of value or have no value.

only buy a limited edition product if you like the extras it comes with. you will get a much larger return on your money by investing the money in your savings account instead.

and there will 'always' be something 'new' to collect and you could also say there is 'always' something 'older' to collect as well.

it also doesnt help how every software company in the world always looks for a way to rehash their old releases and make 'budget' collections.
I'm not sure who you're disagreeing with, but I'm also not sure that I follow what's disagreeable (I guess the two are related!). The value in collecting a limited edition set is only to others who would covet having that particular item. It's not an "investment" -- you'll never make your money back on it. The value is only because you want it, and if you don't buy it then, you might never be able to have it. The odd limited edition item in Japan can be resold for higher than retail at auction, but it's not very common.

So basically, I agree -- collecting limited editions isn't an investment. Or at least it's no different/better than any other depreciating asset. You do it because you love it/want it, and that's about it, IMO. It's simple greed/materialism.
__________________
[...]
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-19, 08:08   Link #32
lubczyk
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
I find it sort of childish to buy collector's editions of things. Bioshock Limited Edition, Metal Gear Solid 4 Limited Edition, Grand Theft Auto IV Limited Edition. Halo 3 Limited collector's Edition. For what? A T-Shirt that's two sizes too big with a corny logo, an artbook you're going to look through once, and a DVD of interviews you're probably never, ever going to watch again.

I don't books for the coverart, I buy them for their story. I don't buy DVDs for the extras, I buy them for the movie itself, I don't buy anime for some cardboard "collectable" box, I them it for the show itself.

I find it funny that some people have an obsessive, collection disorder.
lubczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-19, 08:20   Link #33
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Las Vegas, NV, USA
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubczyk View Post
I find it funny that some people have an obsessive, collection disorder.
Hey now, I feel the same way mostly, but no need to diss others' hobbies.

It's not like the collectibles phenomenon is unique to the world of geekdom.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-19, 08:22   Link #34
CeDeR
forever hung over
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Just
Spoiler for ....:
__________________
CeDeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-19, 13:44   Link #35
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubczyk View Post
I find it sort of childish to buy collector's editions of things. Bioshock Limited Edition, Metal Gear Solid 4 Limited Edition, Grand Theft Auto IV Limited Edition. Halo 3 Limited collector's Edition. For what? A T-Shirt that's two sizes too big with a corny logo, an artbook you're going to look through once, and a DVD of interviews you're probably never, ever going to watch again.

I don't books for the coverart, I buy them for their story. I don't buy DVDs for the extras, I buy them for the movie itself, I don't buy anime for some cardboard "collectable" box, I them it for the show itself.
Well, look at it this way: what difference does it make? If you're watching fansubs, you've already seen the content. So the only reason you're buying it is to own it and support the creators. And if you're going to spend X dollars on it anyway, the difference between paying X and paying X+Y for the limited edition isn't usually that much, and you get some neat trinkets. There are a lot of things people buy that are a waste of money, and a lot of ways people spend money where they end up with absolutely nothing to show for it. I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't gamble, I don't own a car, and instead of spending all that money on things I consider useless or wasteful, I'd rather spend money on a hobby I enjoy. It's all about priorities.

Besides, if the value of anything is limited only to the content itself, and you can download the content for free (albeit illegally), then what is the actual value of a DVD these days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubczyk View Post
I find it funny that some people have an obsessive, collection disorder.
Well, which is why I was poking fun at myself (if I didn't realize it was sort of sad, I wouldn't have posted such incriminating stuff about me!), but in all seriousness, the way I look at it is this: you only live once. Might as well spend your time and money on things you enjoy, because you can't take any of it with you when you're gone. No regrets!
__________________
[...]
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-19, 14:18   Link #36
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Freedom Guard Ship Amaterasu
Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Some I archive like the ones i like that will never get licensed. But most get bought so i can show the studio i appreciate their work.
__________________
Sinestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-19, 14:33   Link #37
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mucking about
Age: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Besides, if the value of anything is limited only to the content itself, and you can download the content for free (albeit illegally), then what is the actual value of a DVD these days?
I think you've rather answered your own question there, relentlessflame.

I don't buy DVDs because of a desire to build an anime collection. I do it to provide an economic benefit, however indirect, to the anime industry. To me, the DVDs are often worth less than the fansubbed programs because of the ugly DVD subtitle fonts, the lack of karaoke, and the fact as I said before that 480p DVDs are inferior in picture quality when compared with well-made 720p fansubs. DVDs of older shows (e.g., Twelve Kingdoms) were superior in picture quality to the fansubs when all telecasting was analog and off-air captures less pristine. Now that shows are broadcast digitally, the reverse is true. I buy DVDs out of a sense of obligation and fairness, but I'd prefer to watch HD fansubs whenever that option is available.

I suppose if I knew enough Japanese I might find the DVD translations superior to those done by subbers, but even there I'm unconvinced. I'd bet the translations from the best subbing groups are on a par with those found on DVDs. (In fact they might be better since the R1 distributors don't really expect many people to be watching the subs. I'd assume the English scriptwriters have to blend accuracy of translations with syncing to the on-screen mouth movements.)
__________________

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2008-05-19 at 16:51. Reason: grammar
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-19, 16:37   Link #38
ahmad
Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Age: 29
Like relentlesslfame I also archive almost everything. It's very painful to delete something for me :P. But since I have only 1 external right now I have no choice but to delete the least important stuff every now and then. I used to burn Dvds but like everyone is saying, they are a pain. Most of them I don't even know what is inside since I didn't label them after burning.
ahmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-19, 17:33   Link #39
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I think you've rather answered your own question there, relentlessflame.

I don't buy DVDs because of a desire to build an anime collection. I do it to provide an economic benefit, however indirect, to the anime industry.
Well, yes, exactly. If your only reason for owning DVDs was to get access to the content (as the OP implied), and you already have the content, then the DVDs have no value. As you say, the value then must either be out of a desire to have something tangible, or a desire to support the industry. In this (bad catchphrase) "Internet age", content is everything but its worth is near nothing. Therefore saying "I buy DVDs only for the content" on a fansub forum leads me to assume that "you must not buy a lot of DVDs, then". There has to be some secondary reason, whether it's collecting, supporting the industry, getting limited items, or whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
To me, the DVDs are often worth less than the fansubbed programs because of the ugly DVD subtitle fonts, the lack of karaoke, and the fact as I said before that 480p DVDs are inferior in picture quality when compared with well-made 720p fansubs. DVDs of older shows (e.g., Twelve Kingdoms) were superior in picture quality to the fansubs when all telecasting was analog and off-air captures less pristine. Now that shows are broadcast digitally, the reverse is true. I buy DVDs out of a sense of obligation and fairness, but I'd prefer to watch HD fansubs whenever that option is available.
You certainly have a point while we're in this HD transition. In fact, two recent HD shows that I bought on Japanese DVD (true tears and Spice & Wolf) demonstrate this point quite perfectly. As DVDs, the quality is pretty good (no real artifacting, no major issues, and so on), but it simply can't compete with HD. Now, I should say, though, this is only because I'm watching on my computer. Since I don't have an HDTV, I doubt I would be able to tell much of a difference if I were to watch the show in that way (which is of course the way a lot/most people watch DVDs). But yeah, this will continue to be a problem during this transition.

As for the "ugly fonts and lack of karaoke"... well, I can say that I understand firsthand why they chose the font and look they did for DVDs. It's extremely legible on older SDTVs, which was the intended target audience when they created the DVD standard. It again doesn't really affect those of us who watch DVDs on our computers, though. Karaoke, though... to be honest, I sort think most karaoke is too flashy and overdone anyway, but that's a personal preference (and a topic for another thread).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I suppose if I knew enough Japanese I might find the DVD translations superior to those done by subbers, but even there I'm unconvinced. I'd bet the translations from the best subbing groups are on a par with those found on DVDs. (In fact they might be better since the R1 distributors don't really expect many people to be watching the subs. I'd assume the English scriptwriters have to blend accuracy of translations with syncing to the on-screen mouth movements.)
The subtitle scripts on English anime DVDs are typically (pretty near always) done in a more literal translation style, more akin to what fansubbers do. However, the big difference that I've noticed is that they tend to be geared at a slightly less hard-core audience (they don't assume that you understand as much Japanese culture and terminology as some fansub scripts do, and they try to incorporate more meaning in the scripts even if it means re-working things a bit, rather than relying on translation notes. It's sort of like the "legibility" point above -- understandability at a glance is more important on DVDs than it is in fansubs). The subtitle scripts on R1 DVDs don't take mouth flaps into account though -- the dub script and sub script are two seperate things. They're just translating the Japanese script. On the whole, I would say the average accuracy is better on DVD, but there are always a few fansubbers on a few shows that really go above-and-beyond. In general, though, if I had the choice between a fansub and a R1 DVD version (barring the HD issue above), I would almost always go for the DVD, myself.
__________________
[...]
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-19, 17:46   Link #40
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mucking about
Age: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Since I don't have an HDTV, I doubt I would be able to tell much of a difference if I were to watch the show in that way (which is of course the way a lot/most people watch DVDs).
The quality difference becomes quite noticeable when you scale up to HDTV size. I own a 40" Sony and the difference I mentioned between the subs and DVD of Twelve Kingdoms was quite noticeable.

Quote:
As for the "ugly fonts and lack of karaoke"... well, I can say that I understand firsthand why they chose the font and look they did for DVDs....Karaoke, though... to be honest, I sort think most karaoke is too flashy and overdone anyway, but that's a personal preference (and a topic for another thread).
I don't disagree with that, rf. I especially dislike karaoke when the text is at the top and bottom of the frame. Karaoke with texts on the sides or corners is less obtrusive. My interest in seeing the karaoke is more understanding the content of the songs than reveling in the presentation. Of course, some anime OP/ED songs seem so nonsensical that I wonder if the Japanese viewers understand what they're supposed to be about

I realize why the DVD standards committee chose those subtitle fonts all those many years ago, but they're just ugly and obtrusive when you have enough screen "real estate." Sometimes they can obliterate the bottom third of the screen. I just wish I could listen to the dubs without cringing. I couldn't watch more than about five minutes of my Noein DVDs with the dubs enabled before I had to switch back to the Japanese soundtrack and cope with the over-sized subtitles.
__________________

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2008-05-19 at 19:17.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:04.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.