AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Nanoha

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-05-28, 22:59   Link #481
arkhangelsk
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghazghkull View Post
Granted, granted, that my example is an extreme case.

But you do get the idea right? What if your character managed to take out say...the Forwards in rapid succession, before anyone could help them? That's the spell set of four different mages under one belt. That is still something fearsome to contend with, and would horribly alter the balance of power, since we're talking about mages that are approaching A-rank in power.

Now although yes taking their abilities does not immediately equate to A-Rank, but considering this is a Cyborg, she has a much more powerful processing rate than the human brain, and also a much more active storage memory that can be accessed than a regular human. Therefore, not only would she have access to their own tactical training and experiences, she would also be able to start equating the various spells she's obtained into her strategy to create a number of possibilities.

Basically, a Cyborg with an extremely finite number of weaknesses, because all those spells would cover the majority of the weaknesses.
I'll be a little worried if this Cyborg was comboed with say AAA or S rank power, but this is an A-cyborg.

So, after he steals the spell sets of all 4 Forwards, and we generously assume he can use all of them reasonably well, he'll be a well-rounded A-rank mage that can do both melee and ranged! OK, he can summon, but I don't think he'll have the "contacts" to call up Voltaire (there seems to be something more to this than chanting the right incantation).

Wow, an Mid-ending threat!

In fact, depending on the situation, it is not even clear if he can win after that against a prepared A-ranking mage that has specialized in an area (it doesn't matter if you are good at both ranged and melee if the whole contest was kept at "ranged"). If he's faced off against a complementary pair, barring some pretty nice tactics he'll still be the one that's minced. And if he has the nice tactics, isn't his real strength really his tactical ability rather than this skill?

If anything, if Com is trying to flap this borg up into even a demi-threat, he's going to have to get really creative. The borg will have to steal the really rare magics that are outside of the normal range of Midchildrans. For an unimaginative one, a spell that actually goes supersonic will be nice... (you see, I just can't get creative enough to actually write) but the point is that it has to be Special.

The character is mildly interesting, but as a game-disbalancing threat? Just don't see it.

As for technical plausibility, while Reinforce Eins is a Lost Logia, even a Lost Logia shows that such a thing is at least technically possible. Which actually places this idea higher on the "Is Supported by Canon" scale than many things that have been approved before, such as Aspect Magic or Cleric Knights or whatever.
arkhangelsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-28, 23:02   Link #482
LimitedEternal
Nuclear Fusion
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Sky of stone, floor of flame.
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghazghkull View Post
Okay anyone who's lately posted any new OC's, and have noticed that they are not on the directory, please let me know, with the following requirement:

They have received some semblance of approval
-This just basically means that your character doesn't have any glaring errors in which more than one person is pointing out, or is presently under de-haxxing.
Alright, I haven't anything to submit yet, but I'll keep this in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisslanza View Post
*Gets out journal*
I'm bored so you can peek at the work I've been doing on Rune. While riding on the bus! (So its not much)

Spoiler:


Yes. Its very rough.
Separate Devices for attack and defense? Neat idea...How did you steal my idea before I even wrote it down??? :3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Ah, thank you.
Well, you're so damn fond of traps, so...
Quote:
Hmm, well I guess I'm too used to retcons to see why this tiny little one is made such a fuss about. I'm a Star Wars fan after all, and the Star Wars verse might as well be called retconverse. But I'm used to taking them and swallowing them, like the whole 'actually, Stormtroopers are clones' deal that came about with the prequels, despite any and all (even official) evidence pointing otherwise.
Heh, you do have a lot of retcon to swallow in that 'verse. I guess it's only bad when the retcon hits something you used; to borrow the clone example, a story about a soldier in the Clone Wars seems out of place given the retcon. Oh well.
Quote:
*sigh* now there's one retcon I'm slightly less comfortable with... I rather liked the Blood Knights draining the light for their own purposes.
*is a blood elf Paladin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghazghkull View Post


But...but...isn't that the same idea as the 40K Primarchs?!!

They're artificially created for the Emperor's own purpose! They're the strongest, most insanely powerful before the Emperor!

How do they NOT relate?! @_@

Edit:

Oh yes, and I claim her for a new OC I will be making

Spoiler for My new OC's Face:
Gotta love those Primarchs...

And I like the girl's look, too. We need more tanned girls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comartemis View Post
Bah, I spit upon the relationship chart. This is my fanon and I'll do whatever the hell I want with it.
Then why even bother...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyral View Post
Inspired by the new avatars of Kha, Keroko and Aaron i made a new one :3

<----


Hm... I wonder why Keroko has not an avatar like this one xD



(Ah well... I was to enthralled making my avatar that I made this one too...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Ooh, thank you. truth is, I was concidering it, but I wanted a Nanoha avatar for a change again. I'll keep this one in reserve for when I switch again.
Actually, when I browsed that in Image, I was mildly surprised there wasn't a Keroko-shop right away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilya View Post
Not that it matters but Erio was adopted by Lindy Harlaown according to Wiki. Strangely enough he didn't reveice their last name :?
Really? Noted. Maybe he wanted to keep his own name?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Kha is going to object to Fate though.
Kha: OBJECTION!!!

*runs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tk3997 View Post
Na just watch the show jokes aside she never really hits anyone nor does she do so in my fic. Her Tsun is lower key IMO at least by the time of StrikerS, but I acutally prefer this as it's more realistic the half crazed Tsundere's that go around randomly assaulting people can be funny, but are a tad... silly. Talking trash, being in utter denial, etc? Sure. Randomly attacking people with a hammer? No.
I didn't mean hammer-beating, I meant verbal. Kind of a toss to the tsun side of her. Although lately it's more hot blood than tsun. But even Vita's not gonna go hammer-crazy just for kicks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Sleep first, post later. Posting with a pounding head is not a good idea.
Ooh, headaches...I know what that's like, I get real bad headaches occasionally. Migraines run in the family. *shrug*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Kero got the 444th post, he is screwed. Yandere girls will come by his door. :3


Keroko-kun is cursed!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
His combat cyborg could copy a full spell list from a target. If he got his hand on a mage, he could then kill the mage and fcking get away with it. That's the problem tk have with skill copy characters, they never can be balanced, it's either too weak and useless or too versatile and imba.
Nah, I think it's possible to do a blue mage and do it right. I'd do it myself, if I wasn't trying to hammer another char out. Maybe.
Quote:
Hell, 70% of the IRC is like Aaron going swirly, kriss being the Evil Yakyuken Mabinogi Overlord, ghaz biting people for no reason, Kha cooking more Khrack, tk and Goose nerding over Macross and Saint mumbling about his own creations. And Shouryu and SpaceBrotha being pranksters.
And ain't that what makes it so fun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisslanza View Post
I pose a question for you Cadians. It relates to my own OC workings so

What does a Unison actually do? From what I've seen when Rein Unisons with Hayate she essentially serves as her "targeting computer". When Signum Unisoned with Agito she just became Death incarnate...

So does Unisoning like enhance all abilities or just specific ones? Or is this something would likely vary from mage to mage and device to device?
From what I gather, the unison is a power-up, but it kinda varies depending on the mage. I think it takes your best aspect and enhances it; Hayate is a cannon who benefits from Rein spotting, Signum gets more strength...I think unisoning is a "play to your best" kind of thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghazghkull View Post
Well it's the idea that the character now has access to the spell list, and could potentially be able to use it.

Plus think of it this way: what if the character was to take out a fair portion of the main cast, or any our OC's, and take their spell list, and then kill them?

Granted that not every spell under that character's belt is usable, but that character would have access to enough of them that they could dish out combos that could overwhelm it's opponent.
You could build drawbacks into the setup. The mage can only store X copied spells, requirements needed for the original thing still apply...like I said, I bet you can do it fine, just with some jumping through hoops needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
That's grasping, and innacurate grapsing at that. We saw no such awesome tallent in Subaru (who actually has trouble with stuff that require thinking).

Cyborgs are more powerfull physically, not mentally.
Yeah, but Subaru's kind of an airhead, anyway.

Which is probably why I liked her a lot...airhead, cyborg, brute strength, nice-

*Revolver Knuckle'd*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kha View Post
What an explosion! I'm used to backlog, but not one generated by ferocity! oO
Happens...it's not like we haven't seen rant chains before.
Quote:
4450g. Not long more!
Umm..........

........I just hit Lv22...T_T


And as I happen to be here, take a chill pill, guys. No point getting all worked up so soon after we started over.
__________________
In my hands, a sun, that my path may be lit.
At my back, the sky, so I may be free to soar.
In my eyes, hell, for it is my cradle and grave.
LimitedEternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-28, 23:20   Link #483
LoweGear
Device Meister
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Everywhere and nowhere at once
*me takes out wallet*

I think the problem people are seeing with Coma's Spell Copying Concept isn't that the concept itself is unbalanced... it's just that story-wise, it has the potential to be heavily unbalanced.

All attack, ability and spell concepts put forward here are scrutizined with the assumption that they are operating under the ideal circumstances for their use, aka the best possible outcome for that spell to be successful and accomplish its designated function. From what I can tell, the most balanced abilities tend to still have logically exploitable weaknesses even if operating under such ideal circumstances.

While Coma's spell does have weaknesses (as ark and keroko pointed out), under the ideal circumstances of its use it really does seem a tad H4XX, since if the ability was wholly successful, no one would really have a chance lest plot intervenes. And it's the degree of plot intervention necessary to counter a skill that makes it H4XX. The more that you need PLOT to justify your weakness, the more imbalanced it becomes, since by this point everything is to the whim of the writer, unless the writer is trusted and acknowledgeable enough to be able to keep his various plot devices sane and acceptable.

*me throws 2 cents*
__________________

On Life: "If you have problem with Ukrainian hard house, you have problem with life. If you have problem with life ... maybe we can fix that."
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-29, 00:04   Link #484
Satty
Slash!
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Oxnard, CA
Age: 21
Holy crap...a second incarnation...I never would have believed it....still, hey there guys, looks like this new thread's gonna be a bit better than the old thread.

Note: I'm not gonna be in this thread now...well, until school ends, which is about in a month or so. I'll be checking in, though.

Later then.
__________________

"Rarely here, mostly not."
Satty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-29, 01:32   Link #485
Aaron008R
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Philippines
Commencing Intervention. =/



Quote:
Originally Posted by Comartemis View Post
Bah, I spit upon the relationship chart. This is my fanon and I'll do whatever the hell I want with it.

Mind your language. Disregarding it is fine, but acting all ignorant to an annoying level about this fact will not do your reputation good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyral View Post
Inspired by the new avatars of Kha, Keroko and Aaron i made a new one :3

Hm... I wonder why Keroko has not an avatar like this one xD



(Ah well... I was to enthralled making my avatar that I made this one too...)
Awesome!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Oh, and pardon the rebuke, but the spit part hit a sore spot. I wasn't even talking about the relationship chart. Vivio Takamachi. Notice the distinct lack of Testarossa?
And I didn't like that comment either. Would you mind if I requested an apology for language from you, Coma?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comartemis View Post
Same difference. Point is, NanoFate rules this fanon with an iron fist.

SO SPEAKS THE AUTHOR!
And as a fellow author, mind your attitude. If you find some of us really annoying and needs an attitude adjustment, I say you need one of your own as well. And no, your real life has nothing to do with this. Keeping stubborn for the sake of being stubborn and getting a kick out of it may be fun for you. But unless you do something about how you do it, it's grating on some of us as well. And of course, I hardly see that a good thing.

Not all of us may be very friendly with you, but some of us are trying to cooperate as well. <Points at Keroko and myself (in IRC)>

As such, keep your annoyance with Tk, Goose or whoever else away from others. Annoying us because of attitude rising from the fact that they annoy you is human, but it won't help you any. And I'm telling you, as a fellow human, I can choose to ignore someone I can help out if he annoys me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
*shrug* No way I can argue that. Just... please don't spit on canon evidence next time. We get preciously little as it is, and people dismissing the few drops of cold-hard facts we have like that makes me twitchy.
This is the second time you've ignored a plea, Coma. And I'm telling you that it's rubbing off a number of us the WROOONNNNGGG way. It doesn't concern me that you don't want to use it. But I won't let you run around and go belittling what we hold as standard here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comartemis View Post
Because I get a kick out of your insults, TK, both here and on the IRC. I just love being called an idiot for defending what I think is a perfectly viable idea, you know.
Oh, really? Well, I am not getting a kick out of your attitude. If that's all you're here for, you're just going to annoy people. And we can do something about it if you're not careful, Buster.

And BTW, I know this may be sarcasm, but I'm not sure. So there.

Quote:
I'm here because I have fun making up characters and storylines. Most of the stuff here simply doesn't belong in my universe; Kerokanon, pretty much anything Kha's written, anything and everything relating to Alpha, and if you put all the different OCs together you have practically an army of mages both natural and artificial, combat cyborgs, and so on who are all connected to the Aces or their friends/allies and whose histories frequently clash with or contradict each other.

I, by contrast, am currently ignoring all that whilst I try to figure out what I want to do with my fanon universe; you may have noticed I switch between ideas quite a bit. Once I know what I want to do, I may or may not look into weaving a few select characters into my 'verse.
Again, if you're doing it, try not to rub us the wrong way. aka BE POLITE about it. Unless of course you're not planning to on the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comartemis View Post
The fact that I'm still here in spite of TK's presence makes me think I am one sometimes.

I can handle criticism, alright? If someone thinks one of my ideas is no good, I want that person to tell me what's wrong with it so I can fix it and make it work. That's what constructive criticism is, yeah?

What angers me is the fact that instead of CC, I am frequently belittled, mocked, and insulted for my ideas, mostly by TK, Goose, and occasionally Ghaz and Sheba.
There's no arguing there. I agree with you to a point. That's why I'm proposing a little cooldown after this to work things out easier. It's fine, yes?

Quote:
TK: "How about no."
TK: "How about you drop the shitty spell"
Goose: "This is haxxed."
Goose: "Why is he still bothering?"
TK: "He's a teenager"
TK: "He's an American"
TK: "He's an idiot."

Mind you, those aren't exact quotes (don't know how to access the logs, or I'd look those up and get exact quotes) but the negativity that plagued this board prior to Aaron's ultimatum is still very much alive and well on the IRC thanks largely to TK and his attitude.
Goose was the one spouting the American lines. Not Tk.

And no, I think it matters that you get the person who said it correctly. This could act as black propaganda against the person you mistakenly assigned the lines to. Tk never makes racist statements as far as I'm aware of.

And the IRC is non of OC's business if it's something that'll stir up trouble here. Don't bring online chat annoyances here. Bring it someplace else like PM's.

And you know what? How about trying to deal with the attitude?

Tk, however rude he may sound is still just being bluntly in-topic. he thinks the IDEAS are stupid. He never goes around blatantly calling people idiots or whatnot for their ideas. or simply to insult others. THAT is what I was trying to prevent. And Tk is NOT doing so, IMO. If you don't like his attitude, just ignore him.

If you're getting insults from a bit more unreasonable reasons from people here in OC, than I'll help out. Is it fine?

I'm worried about irrelevant annoyances and clashes, not about harshness in treatment (unless it gets out of the line). Laissez Faire is still mostly in effect since we can take care of ourselves anyway.=/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
My problem with Comar is how he sometimes goes against canon to a point that people start to eye twitch or cringe. I mean, canon male characters, especially Yuuno, should at least get a minimal level of respect. And his lastest crack involving Graham screamed outright character assassination. The old man died, at least leave him dead and respected. Not twisted into an evil mastermind.
I never liked that Graham character assassination as well. but oh well, that's his work.

Quote:
And ffs, don't twist the irc channel into the fcking Patriots! That's what we are not! Hell, 70% of the IRC is like Aaron going swirly, kriss being the Evil Yakyuken Mabinogi Overlord, ghaz biting people for no reason, Kha cooking more Khrack, tk and Goose nerding over Macross and Saint mumbling about his own creations. And Shouryu and SpaceBrotha being pranksters.
Yes, kindly keep the IRC conflicts out of the OC thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
Comartemis, I want to state here that TK was flat out refusing to let you keep your haxxed linker core drain and spell copy. I on the other hand was willing to let you keep it...

...just with enough heavy restrictions as to make it practically uselesss.
Err... Goose? I gotta agree with Comartemis in this one. Overkill of nerfing much? He's going on a more liberal fanfic route, anyway. So I don't thik it really has to be this stringent...>.>

But the points are very valid for the joint-as-close-to-canon universal regulations of the majority of OC. So these points are still to be kept in mind if anybody else going OCT-route makes use of the same ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
I don't see why Cort's abillity is h4xxed at all. So he can copy the theory behind a spell, what does he plan to do with it? Just because he knows how to cast it doesn't mean he can. There's a few little requirements for certain spells, like the apropriate mana pool, or physical skills.

I mean heck, you can copy spells by looking at them and figuring out how they work. Subaru did it, even nine-year-old Erio did it. Several times.
I was raising this point as well in IRC, right, Coma?
I don't think the idea is overly HAXX. Just a bit. Now, mind explaining how you plan to use it in the story in detail again while we look at it?

Quote:
Unision helps a mage with calculation of data and regulation of the mana required for a spell. The reason Signum became Death Incarnate is because Signum is a close-ranged specialist. All her damage is focussed on one point in melee. However, with the aid of Agito, Signum was able to calculate and regulate her mana in such a way that her focussed melee spell became a wide-aeria long-ranged spell.

Basically, Unision Devices make mages faster, stronger and more versatile because they can use their mana better.
That gives me an idea, Keroko. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
If ark wants to comment or anything, feel free to do so; I'm starting to have more appreciation for your POV after trying to SOD Macross Frontier and figure out wtf the humans still use projectile gatings in 2059.

Still don't mean I don't think you're an ass, but meh, we're both stubborn bastards.
Need some mouthwash, Goose?

Quote:
EDIT: The whole problem a lot of us have with Comartemis is that he's an ass and a stubborn mule who rubs everyone the wrong way
And you're a very open person who makes some colorful descriptions of people who rub you off the wrong way. And IMHO, it's not helping any.
-_- Keep it down for a bit while I try to work things out, mkay?

Quote:
and persists in doing so despite being told to stop, plus his statements that he spits on everything OC stands for and how he's so dismissive of OC and yet wants to be accepted here.
Yes, and no. Coma is dismissive to a fault. But that's not the problem. Fanfic creation is ALSO possible here. The OC is NOT for absolute-Canon following. you just have to keep it AU and keep your attitude in check. The PROBLEM is that he's stating his dismissal on a note that rubs off others the wrong way. Which I intend to highlight.

Quote:
If you're going to keep on bitching and whining, Comartemis, then leave. Nobody's forcing you to stay. Yes this is harsh. But to quote: "Why should we bang our heads/Against the walls of each other?/I will sit and wait for the bell to ring."
That IS harsh.
However, IF he is indeed here not to do his work properly and just get kicks from Tk's attitude, then even I must wonder as well why he even bothers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tk3997 View Post
Goose this really just isn't helping it's not going to change him or solve the issue, but it'll probably make it even more flamey save the trash talking for IRC if it has to be done please this crap is fouling the thread enough as it is.
Quoted for truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
*me takes out wallet*

I think the problem people are seeing with Coma's Spell Copying Concept isn't that the concept itself is unbalanced... it's just that story-wise, it has the potential to be heavily unbalanced.

All attack, ability and spell concepts put forward here are scrutizined with the assumption that they are operating under the ideal circumstances for their use, aka the best possible outcome for that spell to be successful and accomplish its designated function. From what I can tell, the most balanced abilities tend to still have logically exploitable weaknesses even if operating under such ideal circumstances.

While Coma's spell does have weaknesses (as ark and keroko pointed out), under the ideal circumstances of its use it really does seem a tad H4XX, since if the ability was wholly successful, no one would really have a chance lest plot intervenes. And it's the degree of plot intervention necessary to counter a skill that makes it H4XX. The more that you need PLOT to justify your weakness, the more imbalanced it becomes, since by this point everything is to the whim of the writer, unless the writer is trusted and acknowledgeable enough to be able to keep his various plot devices sane and acceptable.

*me throws 2 cents*
Yes, that seems to be the problem. But as far as I'm concerned, I'm curious to how the story works out and how he pulls it off. It's just that I see, like ghaz, said, Coma's impression on the OC is not exactly positive all the way. That's why there's a severe amount os scepticsm on how he plans to do it. And I admit, it's not very fair. That's why I'm trying this out to see if it can help.

The POINT is, just what is your OBJECTIVE? If you want to join OC with the precept of joining in on what everybody else is doing, aka sticking to Canon, etc. That's all good.

If you AREN'T here to do that and is instead here to throw as some ideas to hammer out while keeping your rules mostly to yourself as a liberal fanfic, that's FINE as well.

BUT, you must make your point and objective clear so as to avoid annoyance from rising. And as for the base level of basic annoyance that can affect your reputation badly if you speak about it, keep it out of here and stick to PM's. I don't care if you want to do AU fanfic on a very liberal level, just don't go around doing it in a way that grates on other's nerves.

And of course for the other side of the spectrum, I propose we give him a chance. Again, I'm curious on how he plans to pull it off. Oh, and keep the banter atmosphere down for a bit,everyone. (And you too, Comartemis) Let's cool down a bit and try to work things out. And again, I must make it a point that I believe everyone shares a bit of the cake called Faulty Forest (which is not a lie) here. So if possible, It'd be nice if some apologies and agreements to be nicer flies from both directions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satty View Post
Holy crap...a second incarnation...I never would have believed it....still, hey there guys, looks like this new thread's gonna be a bit better than the old thread.

Note: I'm not gonna be in this thread now...well, until school ends, which is about in a month or so. I'll be checking in, though.

Later then.
Welcome. We'll be waiting for your proper comeback, Satty.

Last edited by Aaron008R; 2008-05-29 at 03:05.
Aaron008R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-29, 01:52   Link #486
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Oh. Oooh. Details? :3
2 or 3 years after StrikerS...

Vivio and co. enters the world of sports. :3

It's pretty basic, though there's some characterization problems on whether or not to make Vivio a 'challenger' type of person, to leave Sankt Hilde to face her own ex-comrades.

Besides, I kinda wanna know if the name of the place Yuuno learnt magic from.

I'm thinking of throwing in Blitzball and stuff inside too. :3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
You severely underestimate my utter loathing of chat programs.


Quote:
Originally Posted by USB500 View Post
What? Outer Cadia has experienced a death and rebirth?


Goddammit, I wasn't here to witness the rise of the phoenix but considering how I didn't contribute much before this event it could not be helped after all.


Spoiler for because I really want to do this:


Yes, people, I may not be active, but that doesn't mean this Dark God of Armpit Fan Service is not alive. You will not see it when I strike.


Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixFlare View Post
*ninjas in*

A delivery. =3

Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha GuardianS

Transition, Part Two—Avenger



=====

Note: Thirteen pages in Word document, it's a bad sign. <_< The (rather short) transition chapters are supposed to reveal things in more depths that won't appear in the storyline until much later. This one has some ties to the previous transition, so it's connected in some way (quite easy to spot, also ). And I think someone might have a very good idea how the plot is going to be, because this spoils quite a bit. Well, if it doesn't create headaches first.

*ninjas out from rampaging mobs*

*deploys Anti-Harisen Field against FieryAeon for this cliffy (?)*
Good... but I don't like it. Nothing against you though.

These are the kind of parts in books I dislike the most, especially if they're LOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNG. I feel that such reflection doesn't need to be explicitly over-pushed, personally.


Quote:
Originally Posted by -Fate- View Post
Thanks, I tried my best to make it kind of...funny but I'm not that good as a writer.

No, Frostberg is a city in the northern part of the Aldia Kingdom. If you were asking about the place where Sierra escaped then it is also in the northern area; however, the Capital is still far ahead.



this is the summarized events in TSAB's Point of View. I'm not sure if its that interesting though .




Also, for those of you who have seen my version of the 21 years old Fate, her barrier jacket currently in this part of the story is the same as the one in StrikerS. She will receive the new ones (the one that I designed) later which was made by the cooperation of Albion and TSAB staffs.

Albion ---> The official name of the rebellion group.

P.S.

I'll be posting Asclei's personal background later since I'm almost done with it.


Very nice. The backgrounds and stuff seem nicely fitted.

Though I've got to ask... 21 year old Fate's details... link.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kha View Post
[CENTER]"Every legend that has a beginning has an end..."

"But some ends have another better beginning!"

"Cadia may be gone, but she lives on, in our hearts, in our pens!"

"On this day when Cadia Zwei was born, I asked, How much could I give?"

"About 150 pages saved in Word..."

"And so, I raise this pen up to the Light!"

"Because, you and I know, Cadia Zwei is worth every inch of it!
"

"Because..."

"THE PEN IS MY SOUL!"

...

:3

You really go all the way, don't you?

And it's...

"Legends Ends, History Begins."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post


Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Concidering its the only Relic that went haywire while the others all stayed calm in the middle of a battlefield, its an easy conclusion to draw though.
There was Jail's unsecured Relics in his glass box though.
__________________
Night~and~Gale: ~ The Final Mythology of the Man who Defied Destiny.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-29, 02:22   Link #487
Silvance
Storm Vanguard
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Type-00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post



Very nice. The backgrounds and stuff seem nicely fitted.

Though I've got to ask... 21 year old Fate's details... link.



Thanks . Anyway, here's the link for the 21 years old Fate

I might redesign the Plasma Form later but I wont be editing the Sonic EXA Form since I like the design .
Silvance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-29, 02:40   Link #488
ghazghkull
The Dang-meister
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Age: 25
Send a message via MSN to ghazghkull Send a message via Yahoo to ghazghkull
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Fate- View Post
Thanks . Anyway, here's the link for the 21 years old Fate

I might redesign the Plasma Form later but I wont be editing the Sonic EXA Form since I like the design .
Well I'll say this much: I like your design of the Sonic Form. A lot more appropriate, while maintaining it's streamline appearance

Any chance you could do a full-body image of both her Sonic Form, and her Impulse, or whatever form that is that you've created, in colour? That would be cool of you could
ghazghkull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-29, 02:48   Link #489
Silvance
Storm Vanguard
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Type-00
Thanks Ghaz. >_<

I would love to but I'm not good in terms of coloring T__T. I'll give it a try though.
I'll sketch a full bodied image of both forms tomorrow. Then I'll post it once its done >_0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Oh do tell.

Besides, Kha won't hunt you down. He's too nice for that.

Alright then, I'll post it. The sketch is not finished yet though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kha View Post
I won't object to Fate, but it will be AU to my works. Not that it matters really, almost everything is partially AU here.

Oh good, you're words are very reassuring. Thanks for the approval.


now here's the sketch of one of the scenes that I'm going to include in my Fanfic. Basically, Asclei lost the battle and fell on the river that had a powerful current. Fate managed to save him but he's no longer breathing...yup...I can sense blood thirst right now for some reason....


P.S. the sketch is still incomplete and will be done by tomorrow.
Spoiler for Warning! the image may cause murderous intent towards the artist if mentally and emotionally unprepared :

Last edited by Silvance; 2008-05-29 at 03:12.
Silvance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-29, 04:27   Link #490
PhoenixFlare
The Resurrector
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
*jostles in from somewhere during an adventure in the Tales of the Abyss*

Just to give my two cent on the current hubris, I think we can rein in the hammers a bit. I don't know how you guys think of Comartemis thus far, but to me, he's certainly improved since his last attempt on Zero, which was practically mangled from all imaginable angles. Giving the many artillery flaks that he's received until now, I personally think that he's sober enough to control what he's going to introduce. I think he should be allowed some degree of freedom to introduce his story so that we can see how he's going to portray things, because right now, we're just firing our bullets at concepts and ideas that look flawed not because they're entirely flawed, but mostly because of the general lack of background story. Of course, the perfection of that particular story depends entirely on him. If it's not satisfactory to the majority ... then the hammers strike back.

And Comartemis, I think you should've learned quite some time ago that whatever you do, you have to do it in moderation. Sure, uniqueness and specialty and rare skills make us "ooh"s and "aah"s (not all the time, though), but if it's going to cost you an arm and a foot to write a believable backstory for support, send those ideas to the guillotine immediately. There is no point in keeping those skills unless you're absolutely sure you can convince the readers that the skills are imperative. Yes, this sounds very cruel indeed, but for us who've written earlier, it's the best way to toe the line. The thread in general is forgiving for the most part, but if you cross that particular threshold, the wrath will be very terrible indeed. I am holding the belief that you can produce something memorable so long as you learn how to put creativity to full use and not just piling up ideas, hoping that one might hit the jackpot. It wastes yours and everybody else's time.

Personally, I've maneuvered through the difficult times as well, so it's understandable that you're quite frustrated at having some of your ideas rejected. I even once had a full-blown debate with TK on some concepts. I was stubborn then, refusing to yield, and it led to some uncomfortable confrontations (though by forum outlook, it just seemed as if we're having some scientific exchanges ). But, after some considerations that don't affect the story that much, I decided to change. To tell you the truth, the change is a great improvement, not the reverse. If you can't compromise, then you'll find yourself to be in a very tight spot with very little room for improvement.

Now, that's my two cent.

*vanishes out into the Qliploth Sea*
PhoenixFlare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-29, 05:13   Link #491
dkellis
illusion control
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Age: 31
Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Sometimes I wonder how much my character-creation tendencies have been influenced by my background in pen-and-paper RPGs.

Just taking the HERO System 5ER, it's still entirely possible to completely overpower a character on 350 points (Disads included), but at least it's a start in balancing a character.

This is also somewhat ironic, since the canon cast of the Nanoha-verse are not anywhere near balanced. Just try statting Hayate in HERO 5ER. Go on, I'll wait.

Essentially, we're placing restrictions on ourselves which the original creators did not. Such is the price of playing in a borrowed world, I suppose.
__________________
Damien Kellis (LJ)(anime blog)
The Genderswap Archive Of Haruhi Suzumiya
The Seitenkan FAQ of Haruhi Suzumiya
"That was actually quite thought-provoking. Does that violate the forum rules?"
dkellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-29, 05:29   Link #492
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghazghkull View Post
Well it's the idea that the character now has access to the spell list, and could potentially be able to use it.

Plus think of it this way: what if the character was to take out a fair portion of the main cast, or any our OC's, and take their spell list, and then kill them?

Granted that not every spell under that character's belt is usable, but that character would have access to enough of them that they could dish out combos that could overwhelm it's opponent.
I still don't see the problem. By this logic every bad-guy who actually has the power to kill the cast is more overpowered then Cort's. His cyborg is B-rank, even Caro could take him down if she goes Fried on him. I find this 'but he could capture the main cast, copy their spells and kill them' to be a ridiculous argument, really. His cyborg doesn't stand a chance to capture any of the cast-members, much less kill them.

Besides, as I said before, so he copied Nanoha's spell list. And then? He's a B-rank mage, he won't be able to use 90% of Nanoha's spell-list because they are spells that require skills that are far beyond a B-rank (Axel Shooter, for one, requires above average control), not to mention the mana needed.

Even if he is only able to use cantrips, so what? Having lots of spells does not make you more powerfull. Unpredictabillity can only reach so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameSparkZ View Post
Do refresh my memory
Nothing to refresh, I haven't written anything with him, really. It's all just plans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameSparkZ View Post
Oh...that...well, yeah the time they where in the academy was before the incident in the icy world
So...no Heart Waver
*scribble scribble* Noted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kha View Post
4450g. Not long more!
<--- was walking around with 1200 gold at 60 doing little more then leveling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kha View Post
Oh dear.
I'm not a raider.... partially why I'm jumping for joy at WotLK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kha View Post
...Extended? Evolved? Awakened? Blessed?
... Can't recall. >_<

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kha View Post
Clerics, in Naaru language.
Hmm, I suppose I could.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kha View Post
Kaa: (peruses the latest terabit of data) You don't say.

Mirii: Kaa? Surprised? Usoda!
What's he so surprised about, I wonder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comartemis View Post
Latent nothing; everyone has a linker core, it being an organ in the human body. What determines magical aptitude is how strong your core naturally is.
Mage organ, Cort. Mage organ. The fact that there are people with zero magical abillities shows that not everyone has one. Ami said something to that regard as well, if I recall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
2 or 3 years after StrikerS...

Vivio and co. enters the world of sports. :3

It's pretty basic, though there's some characterization problems on whether or not to make Vivio a 'challenger' type of person, to leave Sankt Hilde to face her own ex-comrades.

Besides, I kinda wanna know if the name of the place Yuuno learnt magic from.

I'm thinking of throwing in Blitzball and stuff inside too. :3
Hmm, the idea of Blitzball sounds very atractive, especially since you can do all sorts of crazy things if you start to pull magic into the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
There was Jail's unsecured Relics in his glass box though.
I figured those were plucked into something to power the massive fleet of drones though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Fate- View Post
Thanks . Anyway, here's the link for the 21 years old Fate

I might redesign the Plasma Form later but I wont be editing the Sonic EXA Form since I like the design .
You know, no matter how hard I look, I keep thinking 'wow, Signum sure had a great influence on Fate' do I see a little bit of Fatenum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Fate- View Post
Thanks Ghaz. >_<

I would love to but I'm not good in terms of coloring T__T. I'll give it a try though.
I'll sketch a full bodied image of both forms tomorrow. Then I'll post it once its done >_0
Lowe can help there, I could too but I'm a bit pressed at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Fate- View Post
now here's the sketch of one of the scenes that I'm going to include in my Fanfic. Basically, Asclei lost the battle and fell on the river that had a powerful current. Fate managed to save him but he's no longer breathing...yup...I can sense blood thirst right now for some reason....


P.S. the sketch is still incomplete and will be done by tomorrow.
Spoiler for Warning! the image may cause murderous intent towards the artist if mentally and emotionally unprepared :
*sigh* Look, just because you made a beautifull (and yet comic) Asclei/Fate sketch doesn't mean anyone is going war on you. It's a beautifull sketch, and if anything it will gain Kha's support. Most NxF members are perfectly cool about it too, those few idiots who will declare death on Asclei just because of this should be ignored.
__________________
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-29, 05:42   Link #493
PhoenixG
Hi-Eternal
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Backyard of Moriya shrine
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
I still don't see the problem. By this logic every bad-guy who actually has the power to kill the cast is more overpowered then Cort's. His cyborg is B-rank, even Caro could take him down if she goes Fried on him. I find this 'but he could capture the main cast, copy their spells and kill them' to be a ridiculous argument, really. His cyborg doesn't stand a chance to capture any of the cast-members, much less kill them.

Besides, as I said before, so he copied Nanoha's spell list. And then? He's a B-rank mage, he won't be able to use 90% of Nanoha's spell-list because they are spells that require skills that are far beyond a B-rank (Axel Shooter, for one, requires above average control), not to mention the mana needed.

Even if he is only able to use cantrips, so what? Having lots of spells does not make you more powerfull. Unpredictabillity can only reach so far.
I wouldn't say he won't be able to cast it, at most it will be less effective and less powerfull.
PhoenixG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-29, 05:45   Link #494
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Age: 26
Well, that solves the entire h4xx case itself, doesn't it?
__________________
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-29, 05:53   Link #495
PhoenixG
Hi-Eternal
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Backyard of Moriya shrine
Age: 29
The problem wasn't that the skill is haxx itself, but the usefullness of it. But then again I wasn't there when the discision errupt. I was in my comfy bed. :P
PhoenixG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-29, 06:12   Link #496
FlameSparkZ
Ambiguous Pokerface
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Fighting demons and the like
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkellis View Post
Sometimes I wonder how much my character-creation tendencies have been influenced by my background in pen-and-paper RPGs.

Just taking the HERO System 5ER, it's still entirely possible to completely overpower a character on 350 points (Disads included), but at least it's a start in balancing a character.

This is also somewhat ironic, since the canon cast of the Nanoha-verse are not anywhere near balanced. Just try statting Hayate in HERO 5ER. Go on, I'll wait.

Essentially, we're placing restrictions on ourselves which the original creators did not. Such is the price of playing in a borrowed world, I suppose.
True...while if it's a world we created, we can pretty much "overpower" our characters because the world is ours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Nothing to refresh, I haven't written anything with him, really. It's all just plans.
Oh, ok...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
*scribble scribble* Noted.


*warps away*
__________________
FlameSparkZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-29, 06:27   Link #497
Kha
~ I Do ~
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: In the XV-8A Spartan "00"
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comartemis View Post
Latent nothing; everyone has a linker core, it being an organ in the human body. What determines magical aptitude is how strong your core naturally is.

Unless Jail went out of his way to remove the linker cores from the Numbers, they should in theory be perfectly capable of using magic as well as their ISs, so long as they ditched any AMF defenses they had, like Cinque's shell coat.
This is only so if the Linker Core is proven to be in everyone. I agree with you because I feel the same way as well, and used it to account for the perception of one's soul to exist. And I believe removing one's Linker Core is akin to killing the person, but without canon fact I can't impose that theory on you.

The question now is, does a Cyborg necessarily only have a Linker Core so small it cannot perform magic? Technically, yes. It's just like why 99.99% of Earth's population is Neutral, it wasn't in the genes or some heritable vector.

I'm not too sure about the wider implications of your ideas, but I can say that yes Cyborgs can have Linker Cores large enough to process magic, it's just whether they are lucky enough to have one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
The fact that the whole point of the Combat Cyborg project was to create a massproduced army of mages regardless of whether they had such things as linker cores. We only see the two Type-0s using IS and magic which would imply that what makes the Type-0s special is the dual system use, and something Jail was interested in; if the Numbers could dual IS and Magiv capturing Ginga for study and brainwashing wouldn't have been a big deal.
I am inclined to believe that Jail's arrogance got in the way of that. And given his AMF usage, magic is nigh useless to him. Despite Ginga's capture, none of his creations would've been able to use their magic effectively, and hence any effort to further magic usage would be a waste.

Combined with his megalomania, I could even say that the AMF was his snubbing of the mainstream, and that would further reinforce his lack of magic usage.

I admit running counter to this is that Ginga was using both magic and scientology (for the lack of a better word; Science is a study, not an application, and Technology is freely available to Magic) in her battle against Subaru. However, you must note that effort was already spent by Ginga to use magic under AMF, and that would give her an edge over her one trick comrades. Why gimp yourself when its given free? By all means use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimitedEternal View Post
Separate Devices for attack and defense? Neat idea...How did you steal my idea before I even wrote it down??? :3
Oh come on LE. A sword and a shield are two different things, its not new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimitedEternal View Post
Kha: OBJECTION!!!

*runs*
Given everyone's (except Keroko's) expectation, I guess my decision is akin to another moment of Zeroism?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimitedEternal View Post
Umm..........

........I just hit Lv22...T_T
Then start saving. I made the mistake of spending too readily on AH gear while leveling, and hence ended up in this grinding mess. Had I been like my pals, I'd be mounted on Epic the moment I hit 70.

But don't worry, the really important mounts for you will be your 40 and 60 ground mounts which have become so darn cheap. After all, you will be using them most of the time until you get epic flying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satty View Post
Holy crap...a second incarnation...I never would have believed it....still, hey there guys, looks like this new thread's gonna be a bit better than the old thread.

Note: I'm not gonna be in this thread now...well, until school ends, which is about in a month or so. I'll be checking in, though.

Later then.
We'll be looking forward you seeing you again Satty!

Reminds me that I need to post less due to my exams coming... But... >.>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
2 or 3 years after StrikerS...

Vivio and co. enters the world of sports. :3

It's pretty basic, though there's some characterization problems on whether or not to make Vivio a 'challenger' type of person, to leave Sankt Hilde to face her own ex-comrades.

Besides, I kinda wanna know if the name of the place Yuuno learnt magic from.

I'm thinking of throwing in Blitzball and stuff inside too. :3
To be honest, sports anime are kinda... boring to me... so pardon me if I don't take this as enthusiastically as I have with most of your crack.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
...

:3

You really go all the way, don't you?

And it's...

"Legends Ends, History Begins."
Yesh I did go a little nuts there...

Noted. But for the above, I was using Matrix 3's tagline, crossed with the tagline I used to promote the Student Council elections back when I was in school. :3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
There was Jail's unsecured Relics in his glass box though.
Oh yeah... Well maybe those boxes were made to contain the Relics, and are of a rather ubiquitous design, hence why everyone has it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Fate- View Post
Oh good, you're words are very reassuring. Thanks for the approval.
Anything for Feito-chan.

*is BISHed into the ground by ballistic hammer*



Quote:
Originally Posted by -Fate- View Post
now here's the sketch of one of the scenes that I'm going to include in my Fanfic. Basically, Asclei lost the battle and fell on the river that had a powerful current. Fate managed to save him but he's no longer breathing...yup...I can sense blood thirst right now for some reason....


P.S. the sketch is still incomplete and will be done by tomorrow.
Spoiler for Warning! the image may cause murderous intent towards the artist if mentally and emotionally unprepared :
...
...
...

OH MY FISTING GAWDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*grabs Fate and shakes her excitedly*

We sooooo agree right here!!! In the original Khrack up to the 3 editions of Kha's profile, Fate's reply to Kha has been exactly like this! I'm not to sure if its the same here, but it sure looks like the "Kiss of Life" scenario. :3

While not exactly in manners of the tsun transitions before the final finish (sorry if that wasn't the case), it was Fate taking steps of her own; I felt it was a bit daring of Fate to be rather proactive.

BUT! LOOK WHAT WE HAVE HERE! IT TOTALLY AGREES!!! XD

And now that I think back, both Asclei and Kha have links to Fate's pater. Even MOAR agreement!!! XD XD XD

*notices Fate is now all @_@ from the shaking*

...oops.

But bottomline, that sketch was just awwwwww~~~

Too bad its AU to me. But we agree on how Fate's sweetheart is like, and I find great joy in that. :3


Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
<--- was walking around with 1200 gold at 60 doing little more then leveling.
Oh dear dear dear...

At least you're level 60; you need 55 to have access to the Death Knight, which is about the only major level req content in LK other than the standard leveling to 80.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
I'm not a raider.... partially why I'm jumping for joy at WotLK
I see. Guess we'd both be waiting eagerly. I do hope these don't completely replace the 5 man, because 10 men raids have more than 5 bosses, and hence tend to be too long for me to raid every day.

Basically, I hope there will still be H Slave Pens and H Mechanar for me when I am 80. Because then I'd really be involved in my course, and can't afford too much time for fun... ><

And I dread that day a little, cos while I'd finally be doing work I love, I'd have very little time left for Cadia Drei onwards... T_T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
... Can't recall. >_<
Darn. I'd try shooting clues, but I'm a little short on ideas myseelf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Hmm, I suppose I could.
I was thinking you don't actually. As it is, I see the situation as though its the Ashbringer wielded by Blazer as opposed to Morgrain himself. The weapon will still work, and its wielder would still be as powerful, but its just that the weapon wasn't intended for him.

The subtle reason is that I know nothing about this Primarch, and any of Kha's lore referring to the Ces'rauva before him might be contradicted here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
What's he so surprised about, I wonder?
Keroko's chaotic bent. :3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Mage organ, Cort. Mage organ. The fact that there are people with zero magical abillities shows that not everyone has one. Ami said something to that regard as well, if I recall.
Oh dear... If Amy said something like that, then my Ethereal Heart theories regarding Nanoverse are in peril!

Needs certification!!! Anyone?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
*sigh* Look, just because you made a beautifull (and yet comic) Asclei/Fate sketch doesn't mean anyone is going war on you. It's a beautifull sketch, and if anything it will gain Kha's support. Most NxF members are perfectly cool about it too, those few idiots who will declare death on Asclei just because of this should be ignored.


Guess I'm that predictable eh? .............
__________________

Last edited by Kha; 2008-05-29 at 06:49.
Kha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-29, 06:36   Link #498
Sheba
Wanna Be The G.I.R.L
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Myouren Temple, trolled by Nue
Age: 34
In fiction, every evil geniuses falls to their own hubris and arrogance, ALL of them. Light Yagami is a recent example and I will not surprised if karma comes to bite Lelouch in the ass.
I mean come on, how long is it interesting to see flawless plans always succeeding? Wouldn't be funnier to see them fail and HOW and WHY they failed? Imo, a bucketload of Xanatos Gambit and Xanatos Roulette gets boring quick, and in poorly written fictions, they are an excuse for plot flaws.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-29, 07:17   Link #499
Kha
~ I Do ~
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: In the XV-8A Spartan "00"
Age: 28
Things do bite Lelouch as of now, and he did fail royally last season. However...

...hmm this gives me some Jail ideas.
__________________
Kha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-29, 07:51   Link #500
dkellis
illusion control
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Age: 31
Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
In fiction, every evil geniuses falls to their own hubris and arrogance, ALL of them. Light Yagami is a recent example and I will not surprised if karma comes to bite Lelouch in the ass.
I mean come on, how long is it interesting to see flawless plans always succeeding? Wouldn't be funnier to see them fail and HOW and WHY they failed? Imo, a bucketload of Xanatos Gambit and Xanatos Roulette gets boring quick, and in poorly written fictions, they are an excuse for plot flaws.
Depends on your definition of "evil" and "genius". One example of a genius who may or may not be evil (he cheerfully describes himself as evil and tyrannical, but his actions invariably end up benefiting his subjects) is Lord Havelock Vetinari from the Discworld novels. He hasn't failed horribly yet.

Dr. Doom has too complex a history to tell if his plans are "flawless". On the one hand, he's failed to accomplish his obvious goals of defeating many of the Marvel-verse supers. On the other hand, he's still alive and ruler of his own country, despite the best efforts of said Marvel-verse supers.

Dr. Destroyer in the Champions setting just has really, really bad luck when it comes to plucky superheroes throwing themselves against him. He's killed many of them, and his plans have come close to success many times, but there's just too many heroes (see: Zerg rush). He did manage to destroy Detroit, and build two island fortresses. The same But More So for Istvatha V'han. Of course, I'll give you Mechanon being tripped up by his own hubris, especially considering how he got into the Galactic Champions setting.

The main villain in Jade Empire (not going into specifics due to spoilers) would have succeeded perfectly if it weren't for what amounted to an end run by a deus ex machina.

It's too difficult to separate fanon from canon in the case of Nemesis in City of Heroes, especially since fanon has a tendency to become canon. But he's the best example I can think of when it comes to making a villain who never seems to lose even though the hero manages (sometimes easily) to defeat him over and over again... until the next time, when it turns out that it's all part of the plan anyway.

Done too much, and it turns cheesy quite quickly. ("Today my ham sandwich was three minutes late. This means that my plan is working perfectly!") But if the whole thing is planned beforehand, and if pulled off well, it can make for some very dramatic buildups. (I know you people like TTGL, so imagine it to be something like that. Put yourself in Lord Genome's place.)

Remember: de l'audace, encore de l'audace, et toujours de l'audace. When writing a villainous mastermind type, always think big. Don't just use decoys to invade another dimension of telepathic aliens so that they declare war on the heroes; do it so that not only will the heroes be weakened, so will the aliens, letting you upload your consciousness onto their telepathic network in order to take it over, achieving immortality and absolute power over an entire race. That sort of big.

And when you get tired of that, you can try writing up a version of Foxbat from the Champions-verse. He does have hubris, yes, but most of the time he fails because of his 25-point (Very Common, Total) Psychological Limitation: "Thinks He's Living In A Comic Book".

-

Question: how willing are you to click on story chapter links which are not on AnimeSuki? I'm wondering if I should repost my chapters in this thread (since I can't edit the old posts in the old thread), or if I should just dump them onto my Livejournal.
__________________
Damien Kellis (LJ)(anime blog)
The Genderswap Archive Of Haruhi Suzumiya
The Seitenkan FAQ of Haruhi Suzumiya
"That was actually quite thought-provoking. Does that violate the forum rules?"

Last edited by dkellis; 2008-05-29 at 08:24.
dkellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
hayaurion, kaonland, keroland, khrack, original content

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:04.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
We use Silk.