AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Nanoha

Notices

Old 2011-12-24, 09:26   Link #9441
MeisterBabylon
~ Ping For Effect ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameSparkZ View Post
Huh? Where did that come from?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Battletech me think.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niflheimr

I have problem with Norse spelling.

By interpreting Jotun as Giants, I then took the rest of the Nilfheim myth and turned it into:

>once a snow covered world
>civil wars from since Alhazredian times have destroyed the environment and the people have modified their bodies extensively into living weapons, as it was in fashion back then (Klaus, Olivier).
>someone blew up the sun, leaving the planet a frozen lifeless orphan
>to adapt to the cataclysm unleashed by their enemies (or themselves), the inhabitants transformed themselves into completely metal giants, the Jotunn.
>they kept on fighting.
>Sankt Kaiser tried to annex the planet and bring peace to it, but she fails. She realizes that the weapons of war developed by this eternally warring race will destroy Ordered Space in its entirety, and so fires a planet destroyer at it, purging the dimension.

This is explored in my fic, where it slowly becomes apparrent that something has survived.

On money: Every man has a price. For everything else, there's MakoCard.
MeisterBabylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-24, 10:38   Link #9442
Sheba
Night Battle Oh La La

I have taken giants differently. Not giant robot, but another human subspecies. Like those in Skyrim. Height ranging from 2.10m to 2.60m and this is where you insert a Thirteenth Warrior slice, by making those giants attacking Belkans by night and taking their weakest members, mostly women and children, away to god knows where. Slavery? Eating? Insert the Belkan twist of the legend of Beowulf here, a bit of The Others from A Song of Ice And Fire also.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-24, 12:56   Link #9443
Estavali
にゃのです!

Giants could also have a more mundane origin: lawless armed men, be they mercenary bands without a hire or just bandits. Terror and confusion would make news of bandit raids become those by giants or other humanoid monsters, and lawmen who found themselves bested would be more than happy to encourage, nay, add to the rumor, to save face and to find an excuse for their defeats.

Signature by liro
Estavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-24, 14:02   Link #9444
FlameSparkZ
Ambiguous Pokerface

What I have in mind are "King Wars", seeing as Belkan Kings were all modified to have some sort of ability.
I paired that with "dying planet", "other troubles" and "people who aren't supposed to be there" got myself a sweet plot with quite a bit of conflict and tragedy

...Yes, people are going to die in this arc
Old 2011-12-24, 19:34   Link #9445
MeisterBabylon
~ Ping For Effect ~
*Author

Quote:
I have taken giants differently. Not giant robot, but another human subspecies. Like those in Skyrim. Height ranging from 2.10m to 2.60m and this is where you insert a Thirteenth Warrior slice, by making those giants attacking Belkans by night and taking their weakest members, mostly women and children, away to god knows where. Slavery? Eating? Insert the Belkan twist of the legend of Beowulf here, a bit of The Others from A Song of Ice And Fire also.
I took giants to be literally giants though, so these people were already a large as a house before turning themselves into machines.

Other giants still exist within Ordered Space, as only 1 of the 3 dimensions they were commonly found was destroyed. Modern technology has given them the ability to "shrink" themselves down to human size to better fit into what the dominant race in the multiverse has built when they do travel off-world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estavali View Post
Giants could also have a more mundane origin: lawless armed men, be they mercenary bands without a hire or just bandits. Terror and confusion would make news of bandit raids become those by giants or other humanoid monsters, and lawmen who found themselves bested would be more than happy to encourage, nay, add to the rumor, to save face and to find an excuse for their defeats.
This would go in to a DVD booklet entry, and when I'm done with this arc I can go explore this.

Quote:
What I have in mind are "King Wars", seeing as Belkan Kings were all modified to have some sort of ability.
I paired that with "dying planet", "other troubles" and "people who aren't supposed to be there" got myself a sweet plot with quite a bit of conflict and tragedy

...Yes, people are going to die in this arc
I too was inspired by The Old Belka's penchant for weaponizing themselves in crafting the Jotun of Nilfheim.

Old 2011-12-24, 20:08   Link #9446
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
I took giants to be literally giants though, so these people were already a large as a house before turning themselves into machines.
"literal" giant is still largely a point of view kind of thing. To most people in our world, someone two meters tall is already a giant.

It should be noted that Norse giants tended to vary greatly in size, a lot even being described as being roughly human sized.
Old 2011-12-25, 02:51   Link #9447
FlameSparkZ
Ambiguous Pokerface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
"literal" giant is still largely a point of view kind of thing. To most people in our world, someone two meters tall is already a giant.

It should be noted that Norse giants tended to vary greatly in size, a lot even being described as being roughly human sized.
Loki, for example, was mentioned in mythology as being son of a Jotunn, and yet he mingled with the other gods with no problems (except when he pulled his "pranks").

Also, Jotunn live in Jotunnheim. Niflheim is the world of the dead, ruled by Hel, Loki's daughter.
I know I should give people some slack, but using mythology in strange ways makes me twitch
Old 2011-12-25, 03:43   Link #9448
MeisterBabylon
~ Ping For Effect ~
*Author

Just to clarify, this is my Nanoha reboot, so I'm going right back to the A's era. The timeline is at the point when Rein Zwei had just been introduced to the Church.

Quote:
My setting is high fantasy interpretted in sci-fi style, so there are giants that are really gigantic (4-5m tall, 6m in armor).

Other races include the Eldritch which are effectively elves with technology, the Pixies which are a pigmy race which inspired the Old Ones to create Unison Devices, the Squats which are dwarves with psychic mastery and physical power, and so forth. I even included a rabbit girl and an avian female in Khayenne's class!

Those other races aren't the focus in this story, but they form the setting in which I write Nanoha fics. I just felt that no one gave Belka, and aliens, enough coverage.

Quote:
There are shorter "giants" which are half-giants, human-giant hybrids. These vary greatly in height, which accounts for the variability in myth.

Quote:
Loki, for example, was mentioned in mythology as being son of a Jotunn, and yet he mingled with the other gods with no problems (except when he pulled his "pranks").
Loki features greatly in my fic. As the 'trickster' Saint King, he taught the Jotunn how to transform and hide themselves. This led to the endless guerilla wars fought between his descendents and the Rebellion which first fought for freedom, and later backed Olivie's vision of a united peaceful Ordered Space.

This becomes the setting for the giants hiding in plain sight that this fic is centered on.

Quote:
Also, Jotunn live in Jotunnheim. Niflheim is the world of the dead, ruled by Hel, Loki's daughter.
Let me clarify: The Jotunn are associated with 3 worlds, and Nilfheim is one of them. Jotunnheim survives in modern day, and Jotun are a rare, but not completely absent, sight in the Core Worlds. For example, Kha's class has a young male Jotun who's family moved to Belka because of business. He is usually a small runt, but when push comes to shove he reverts to his normal form and joins the fight.

Hel's the villainness in my fic. Kha finds himself helping the Rebellion after all, putting him on collision course with the multiverse's oldest tsundere.

Quote:
I know I should give people some slack, but using mythology in strange ways makes me twitch
I'm pretty sure I wasn't using it in strange ways... It only looks strange because of my unwillingness to reveal unnecessary detail of a fic in planning.

But thanks for the input, this is a great help.

Old 2011-12-25, 06:53   Link #9449
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Quote:
Then, since no one bats an eyelid, I'd say the point of the exercise has long been lost.
Yeah... since no one bled in the story.... it means the test has failed

Dang it Avalon, you c(XD LOL)-block Shirou and Reinforce, but don't protect his mind in other ways? What is wrong, you woman?
Friendship, be made! Magical power, gather! Starlight Breaker.... this world!
bhl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-25, 08:10   Link #9450
FlameSparkZ
Ambiguous Pokerface

Quote:
Hel's the villainness in my fic. Kha finds himself helping the Rebellion after all, putting him on collision course with the multiverse's oldest tsundere.
Tsundere Hel...well, at least it's better than "needy yandere Hel with a father complex"

Quote:
I'm pretty sure I wasn't using it in strange ways... It only looks strange because of my unwillingness to reveal unnecessary detail of a fic in planning.

But thanks for the input, this is a great help.
Now that you explained it, it's okay...but this still applies to other "official" works of fiction *glances at certain movies*

...And I'm also trying not to "spill the beans" on this end
Old 2011-12-25, 09:01   Link #9451
MeisterBabylon
~ Ping For Effect ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
Yeah... since no one bled in the story.... it means the test has failed

But I'll keep my sisters in overboob, halterback, and translucent skirts. It's a celebration of the female form!

*dodges shot*

Quote:
Tsundere Hel...well, at least it's better than "needy yandere Hel with a father complex"
...so...

...let me get this straight...

...after he befriends her with firepower, Hel turns into a Gasai Yuno stalker for Kha?

*is brutally murdered!!!*

Quote:
Now that you explained it, it's okay...but this still applies to other "official" works of fiction *glances at certain movies*

...And I'm also trying not to "spill the beans" on this end
Tell me about it. There's a reason why I remember Bloom's abs more than the setting.

Edit: I just realized fanfic thread got modnuked. Ouch. Anyways, I'll say it here. Whatever happened there, do not take it here!!

Old 2011-12-25, 12:03   Link #9452
Sheba
Night Battle Oh La La

From what I gathered I think it was a combination of Aki being Aki, NanoFate fanaticism and a "Mah xover is stronger than YOUR xover" ongoing contest and Nanya ragequit.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-25, 19:29   Link #9453
MeisterBabylon
~ Ping For Effect ~
*Author

Quote:
From what I gathered I think it was a combination of Aki being Aki, NanoFate fanaticism and a "Mah xover is stronger than YOUR xover" ongoing contest and Nanya ragequit.
I guess now they have their equivalent of spontaneous combustion like we did years ago.

Didn't do anything Nanoha over xmas, just a one short for IS.

Old 2011-12-29, 11:20   Link #9454
NorthernFallout
Return
*Author

I wanted to write something. With boats. Another I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I'M DOING shorty short.

A little fanservice.
A little comedy.
Hayate & Co.

Aaron, you need some Hayate!Bikini, no?

Spoiler for THE YAGAMI BOAT: THE COSPLAY QUEEN:

Spoiler for Nerdy Boat Trivia:

Steam: ax/apocnuke | LET'S ROCK
NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-29, 14:46   Link #9455
LoweGear
Device Meister
*Graphic Designer

This is probably one of those times that I can truly say "NICE BOAT" without having connotations of blood, murder and severed heads rolling about.

Also, Vita with one-piece is sacrilege of the highest order. The dolphin at fault must be... processed at once

On Life: "If you have problem with Ukrainian hard house, you have problem with life. If you have problem with life ... maybe we can fix that."
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-30, 17:36   Link #9456
PhoenixG
Hi-Eternal

a nice boat should stay as bloody, murder and heads. This is a FABULOUS boat :3
PhoenixG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-01, 12:34   Link #9457
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
This is probably one of those times that I can truly say "NICE BOAT" without having connotations of blood, murder and severed heads rolling about.

Also, Vita with one-piece is sacrilege of the highest order. The dolphin at fault must be... processed at once
Would the processing involve extracting the dolphin's memories, so that we can bask in the sight of Vita clad only in light and wa-

*crack*

*Goose falls to the floor, shot*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixG View Post
There's only one thing that could make it more fabulous: a yuri harem. But I'll settle for Wolkenritter + Hayate. XD

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-01, 12:41   Link #9458
FlameSparkZ
Ambiguous Pokerface

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixG View Post
I second this

Also, caught up with Gears of Destiny thread. It's a nice and juicy source of info that I can use...hehehe

*goes plot a tragedy of catastrophic proportions*
Old 2012-01-01, 13:27   Link #9459
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
1 head is Yuuno's.

noooo

Dang it Avalon, you c(XD LOL)-block Shirou and Reinforce, but don't protect his mind in other ways? What is wrong, you woman?
Friendship, be made! Magical power, gather! Starlight Breaker.... this world!
bhl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-07, 18:10   Link #9460
FlameSparkZ
Ambiguous Pokerface

I finally added illustration to the last posted chapter of BreakerS
The most noteworthy piece being this one. :3

EDIT: aaaand page claim~

Tags
hayaurion, kaonland, keroland, khrack, original content