AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Nanoha

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-06-07, 22:37   Link #1021
LoweGear
Device Meister
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: 3 times the passion of the usual flamenco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tk3997 View Post
Not really no though it did disguise itself as that while growing the beard, but as Iíve said once the spaceships and guys in uniforms showed up the hint should have been clear this isnít you daddys magic girl show.
Which is one of the things I like about it actually

Quote:
Ahh this "Females kicking ass" nonsense once more if there one thing I'll never let pass it's this horse shit about how these shows should be centered a female cast only or mainly. It seemed like it might avoid even that at first Yunno and Chrono were both competent, but then they lost it and totally shafted them into oblivion in A and even more so StrikerS.
I wasn't really trying to shaft the guys here, it's just that females to tend to get more action than males in magical girl shows, no helping it.

Quote:
Acutally IMO as of now it's first and foremost Science Fiction/Fantasy and it's magical element are acutally very much more subdued and less fantastic then the vast majority of such. It stopped being a Magic Girl show at it's core when they put on uniforms, became adults, and started acting as part of a larger overarching organization for a living it then became a sort of Fantasy/Sci-fi hybrid.

If you look at StrikerS it has almost nothing of what we'd associate with the genre beyond the fact there are Girls and they use magic. If you don't like that fine, but don't try and deny this aspect of the work that sets it apart from basiclly every other example of it's type.

I disagree the militarism (and politics) is part of the setting and an important part and if you remove it what you're left with is no longer Nanoha and it's probably not nearly as interesting either.
No arguments on what StrikerS brought to the Nanoha franchise, and what it turned the series into. For this argument though I was talking about the series as a whole including S1 and A's. I concede the point though.

Quote:
You need both Nanoha isn't a classic magical girl show nor are it's fans those that tended to like those. (I'd never touch Sailor Moon with a ten foot pole for instance...) It's not pure military fiction either though, but military and political aspects are integral too it and are definitely a part of it's appeal. Those that try to transform it into a pure love, love classical magic girl setting are just as wrong as those that try to turn into a crapsack world full of hardboiled killers and world weary soldiers.

Nanoha isn't Nanoha without militarism and politics, but it's also not Nanoha with out a touch of idealism and fantasy. The key is in the balance Goose and to some extent Kag probably take it too far one direction (in the grim darkness of the future of Nanoha there is only angst! oh and machine guns.) Coma was swinging too far the other way by seemingly just wanting to get rid of the TSAB entirely so the girls could just fly around zapping bad guys at will. Another example is IMO the FFT while the FFT produces plenty of interesting fluff an aversion by most of the posters to seemingly any of the military or politic aspects of the show limits there ability to have really interesting plots IMO...

There's a balance to be found that balance might be leaning a might too far toward military and politics at the moment, but even so those aspects definitely have there place as important parts of the universe and in writing interesting fics and characters. Of course the more fantastic and fluffy elements also have there place as well and it's this somewhat odd mixture that makes Nanoha interesting IMO. It's tricky to capture, but it's also important becasue if you don't do it right the universe just seems off .
Satisfying answer, since I myself believe in balance of both elements of the series. Though to me, the militarism is but a setting, and not the core of the storytelling aspect of Nanoha, which was my knee-jerk point that made me respond in the first place. The military aspect of the Nanohaverse is something all of us have to acknowledge, but that doesn't mean all your stories regarding the Nanohaverse has to have that. (Heck, alot of my own works don't feature the TSAB at all ). The Nanohaverse is a setting that allows both mahou shoujo fans and military nuts to coexist, and that's another thing I like about it, and why the OC thread has been so successful for the past year.

As for Coma, it's my understanding that his stories are basically the "Comaverse", which is his own alternate timeline? He sticks to he fanon, we stick to our canon, it's our choice to make.
__________________

On Simple Solutions: "I bought the airline. It seemed neater."
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-07, 22:44   Link #1022
Comartemis
He Who Smites Shippers
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixFlare View Post
Actually, the thing about the Bureau wanting the power to be separated is probably a policy agreed only by a certain portion of the entire hierarchy. As I recall, Chrono was forced to follow the limiter policy because Regius was actively being the thorn on their side. To minimize friction, he agreed to place the limiter. The same may have occurred for the power concentration. The Navy usually requires higher-leveled personnel for their work, so there's no actual balance, so to speak.


Brainstorm!

The distribution of power thing is one of the reforms that Regius implemented into the GF when he took control of the ground forces. The idea was originally intended to ensure that no one unit had excessively more power than it strictly needed, sort of like military communism. Rather than have a few high-powered units and masses of redshirts everywhere else, the reforms distributed power evenly across the whole of the ground forces, resulting in huge net increases in unit effectiveness; after all, the few high-powered units always get the job done, but they can't be everywhere at once, which contributed a great deal to the high crime rates Kranagan was suffering from way back when.

The navy, on the other hand, doesn't have a problem with power distribution because they don't have the same set of problems the GF has.

Let's see..... the navy got all the funding and all the good mages for a long time because the existence of the navy is one of the big points of the bureau; they patrol the dimensional seas and keep the cosmos safe, where the ground forces are a strictly terrestrial power and thus seen as less important when the funds are distributed. But because the navy has so many high-power units (as in multiple A-ranks on the capital ships and higher percentages of B-rank redshirts as opposed to C and D-ranks), they don't pay quite as much attention to power distribution as Regius and his ground forces do. To people like Leti, sticking the Wolkenritter together with Hayate and making them into a single "package deal" isn't anything altogether strange, and problems don't arise until that same package deal begins operating in the army's territory, which sets off alarm bells in Regius's head.

Anyone see any holes in my reasoning?
__________________

Kill the Darkfic.
Burn the Angst.
Purge the Bad End.
Comartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-07, 22:51   Link #1023
stormturmoil
Field Medic
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Send a message via AIM to stormturmoil Send a message via MSN to stormturmoil
seems reasonable.

The navy can't divide it's forces any more than it has ships anyway, so it'll have a higher density of hi-ranks in a given group.

Whereas with the ground forces, spreading the high ranks out means more coverage and more work getting done.
stormturmoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-07, 23:09   Link #1024
haiz123321
Obey me world!
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kha View Post
Sounds... painful.

But... given Fate's background...

*imagines Fate in Precia mode*

...oh gawd what have I done...?
Watch your back Kha...Watch your back... Nanoha's coming after you for defiling her precious Fate-chan

Quote:
Not the books. Its because big fortified things central to a big organization floating in the middle of space is both a tempting yet hard target to crack, but if you managed to blow it up, it would give you a lot of bad rep, and as a villain, you want that bad rep to make a statement.
=/

Quote:
*pats Vivio on the head*

/sigh
A lil moeness softens everyone up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Only prosecutor we have is krisslanza, and she is only interested into making Phean's life a living hell. And PFlare fails as attorney. NYAAAA!!!
O_O Real prosecutor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comartemis View Post
More or less. And I liked it better before the TSAB showed up. Of course, the fight scenes didn't get really exciting until after Chrono poked his nose into Nanoha's business, so there's a nice little trade-off going from old-school magical girls into this new kind of shonen/magical girl hybrid series. I just wish they could’ve kept the bureaucracy somewhere else where we didn’t have to see it.


Pretty much, but take a look at how they're portrayed in-series.

Take Yuuno for example. The poor guy basically exists as a foil for Nanoha, to bring out and display her character traits in the early part of the show. Firstly there’s his role as the instigator of the whole thing, the pseudo-mentor figure who teaches Nanoha about magic and gives her RH. For the first few episodes, he’s basically nothing but the talking animal sidekick, and every other thing he says is meant to show some quality of Nanoha’s.

“I’m sorry, I’m sorry, this is all my fault” gives Nanoha the chance to show how willing she is to help out, which is the single biggest difference which separates her from her predecessors. “Oh wow, Nanoha can transform without the incantation” shows what kind of natural skill she has, followed closely by “Holy shit! Divine Buster!” Once Fate and Arf show up, Yuuno has already started to fade into the background, taking the role of a counter to Arf’s presence and keeping Nanoha from getting tag-teamed. From this point onwards, the focus is almost entirely on Nanoha and Fate because Yuuno has served his purpose, something that becomes more and more clear as the series progresses into A’s and StrikerS.
O_O True but for me I just watch anime just as it is as I don't really care about character development that much XD More things noticed = More stress = Age faster = Faster death =(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron008R View Post


Actually, I'd like to scream at you all (for most of those involved) for being such stubborn and hotblooded people. You made Cadia Zwei cry just now...

Cadia Zwei: <cried herself to sleep>

>.>

Listen... I take away the matters and will start looking at the people involved.

1) Comartemis: Remember one of our conversations about ignoring most comments? It's not very healthy to ignore all of them, though. I am gonna take up a stand to ease up on the flak here. But I want results from you as well. Okay?

2)

Goose.
As much as I appreciate your input which is very relevant most of the time. You have just stepped over the line.

TAKE. BACK. THAT. COMMENT. NOW.



I understand that you may have good intentions. But until you take that back, I cannot forgive you badmouthing another thread HERE OF ALL PLACES because you don't like it. NOR am I going to forgive you about asserting that OC is a playground according to solely YOUR specifics. No, you're not being such? How about all that harping in the past about "Learn to play in the same playpen. And if you can't, get out!" rants you were blabbering about in the past? I say that you should take your own advice. Because you're simply pushing a dominant opinion (which was not strictly an original point of OC) more than necessary. And it's not producing good results.

The OC is meant to be more than just that. I don't think we have to start this little vicious cycle just because you don't like a person or a person doesn't agree with you.



Read. Comartemis is not listening, you tell me? Yes, he is, to an extent. That's why I made a plea for him to be more receptive.

Now. How about YOU and anybody else with the same viewpoint LISTEN that he is making an AU and needn't be too specific with worldly rationalities?! He should listen more, I agree. But I think you should listen more too!

You're right, he's wrong? You're wrong, he's right? I think all of you have done something wrong. And I don't think that you are all very willing to admit it. That's why I'm here. And all of you needs to cool off your heads and be more receptive. ALL (to those involved) of you!


Listen... Honestly, I'm not too cool with Comartemis' idea too. But that doesn't mean I have to bash him more than necessary. And for God's sake, you and your side also needs an attitude adjustment. If you TRIED being less violent about the approach?!

You have issues IRL? Well, like what Lowe said to Reiji in the old thread, SUCK IT UP and don't bring it here. Same applies for those who dislike Coma. (You people know who you are. And yes, hating a person is an IRL matter.)

You have to cater to a bunch of thickheaded idiots in real life? IT. DOES. NOT. CONCERN. THE. OC. THREAD. AND. YOU. WILL. NOT. USE. IT. AS. AN. INAPPROPRIATE. OUTLET.

This situation is indeed trouble. And lots of rationales and stubbornness on both sides. But I must plead with you people to PLEASE TONE DOWN ON YOUR ATTITUDES!!!

The goal's you are arguing for is not gonna be reached like this! What's happening is that OUTER CADIA ZWEI IS BECOMING A WARZONE OF HOTHEADED IRRATIONALITY!!!

Rationale, no matter how correct, is now being used for such arguments. But no matter how correct your arguments are, if it is not done properly, it will only cause unnecessary trouble.

To summarize a point,

I DO NOT CARE IF ANY OF YOU PEOPLE'S REASONINGS ARE RIGHT OR WRONG. IF YOU CANNOT PRESENT THEM CALMLY AND CIVILLY ENOUGH, THEN THEY WON'T DO ANY GOOD. AT LEAST TRY TO GET ALONG BETTER, PLEASE?! IF THIS CONTINUES IN THE WRONG DIRECTION ANY FURTHER, THEN I WILL TAKE ACTION ACCORDINGLY. MAKING THIS MATTER WORSE WILL NOT BE TOLERATED.

That's it. The report buttons have never looked so appealing to press right now.-_-

Really, do people have to keep making life difficult for everyone? Coma, listen a bit more, please. Hopefully, they would be less scathing now. And you don't have to follow everything, you just need to receive them at a calmer way. Goose, I said what I wanted. Now, if you wanna continue this argument with your attitude further, let us talk in PM or IRC. NOT HERE.


Meeting adjourned. Any further unneeded arguments will be taken to PM's or IRC. No buts.
But but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but

Aaron just pawned OC for 200 gold
HOLY SH--

*Is blasted 100 galaxies away by Ragnarok Breaker*
Hayate >>>>>> Haiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixFlare View Post
Came back after a day's absence (discounting lurking), and found myself a big one ...
Heya, one of the creators of bluecheesium overload

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimitedEternal View Post
Okay.

I don't have much in the way of time, so I'll make this short, but enough is enough.

I am ROYALLY SICK of seeing the same kinds of goddamn PISSING matches EVERY TIME I come here.

We have, as a community, become so bound to our self-imposed restrictions of what can and can't be done that any attempt to step outside the boundaries is to incur the wrath of all those who name themselves "enforcers" of the "law" here.

To be simple, we've completely lost sight of this thread's purpose.

Back when I joined, things like a derivation of canon were thought of as "crack" and "humorous, but not dangerous." Now, we have someone pushing the boundaries getting FLAMED simply for doing it.

I myself am losing interest in posting any new material of my own because I'm wary it's going to go the same way: "OH NOES HAXX BURN GTFO."

I do not understand why we are so worried about destroying the bounds of canon or anything along those lines. Again, many far more extreme materials were created earlier in this thread's life and were accepted - material I believe would be attacked if put up now.

...

...And it seems like Aaron once again has the intervention covered, which has deflated me somewhat as well. -_-;

I will say this though: I too am getting tempted to go to the mods and have them crack some heads. It's beyond disgusting that this kind of mudslinging is allowed to continue unchecked. I'm willing to bet that people have been and are being driven off because of this, and people are the lifeblood of Cadia.

I feel a bit better now. I am not angry, merely indignant. If you want to see me truly angry, keep this fight up - I'll be a lot more willing to vent after a tedious workday or two.

EDIT: Page claim for the mute button.
o_O I wanna see LE's limiter release (hides in an extremely fortified bunker)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyral View Post
Somehow I have now the impression that Aaron is one of those nice, cute characters who, when they explode, are so scray that you shit your pants...
I couldn't agree better
__________________

Long Live Lelouch! Waiting for Tales of the World:RM2 USA release
haiz123321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-07, 23:11   Link #1025
PhoenixFlare
The Resurrector
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comartemis View Post


Brainstorm!

The distribution of power thing is one of the reforms that Regius implemented into the GF when he took control of the ground forces. The idea was originally intended to ensure that no one unit had excessively more power than it strictly needed, sort of like military communism. Rather than have a few high-powered units and masses of redshirts everywhere else, the reforms distributed power evenly across the whole of the ground forces, resulting in huge net increases in unit effectiveness; after all, the few high-powered units always get the job done, but they can't be everywhere at once, which contributed a great deal to the high crime rates Kranagan was suffering from way back when.


The only main problem, I guess, is that there isn't really any high-powered unit in Ground Forces that we've actually laid eyes on. Most of them are kind of ... red-shirts in their own way. I suppose it's handwaivium material, this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comartemis View Post
Let's see..... the navy got all the funding and all the good mages for a long time because the existence of the navy is one of the big points of the bureau; they patrol the dimensional seas and keep the cosmos safe, where the ground forces are a strictly terrestrial power and thus seen as less important when the funds are distributed. But because the navy has so many high-power units (as in multiple A-ranks on the capital ships and higher percentages of B-rank redshirts as opposed to C and D-ranks), they don't pay quite as much attention to power distribution as Regius and his ground forces do. To people like Leti, sticking the Wolkenritter together with Hayate and making them into a single "package deal" isn't anything altogether strange, and problems don't arise until that same package deal begins operating in the army's territory, which sets off alarm bells in Regius's head.

Anyone see any holes in my reasoning?
You can see why Regius is so opposed to the Navy, so I don't think this is problematic in itself. However, do bear in mind that if Navy units were to operate in the Ground Forces' region, they would have to follow this rule (I'm not clear on this myself, but RF6 should be a good enough reference).

=====

@haiz: Heya, and welcome back. Sorry about the belated greeting, but I've got myself full with my brother's wedding these few days. =3
PhoenixFlare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-07, 23:17   Link #1026
Comartemis
He Who Smites Shippers
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixFlare View Post


The only main problem, I guess, is that there isn't really any high-powered unit in Ground Forces that we've actually laid eyes on. Most of them are kind of ... red-shirts in their own way. I suppose it's handwaivium material, this one.
Ah, but what if the reason we don't see any high powered units is because they've all been disbanded by Regius and absorbed into the low-powered redshirt units? You'd have A-ranks and AA-ranks spread out across the entire force instead of concentrated into elite units, and a fairly even distribution of the B-ranks.

Remember, most of the mages in the ground forces are B-ranks or lower. A-ranks and higher will usually be found in the air force, something else that probably ticks Regius off. There will, of course, be exceptions like Ginga, Zest, and Subaru post-StrikerS, but for the most part all the really good mages are in either the Air Forces, the Navy, or the Enforcer units.
__________________

Kill the Darkfic.
Burn the Angst.
Purge the Bad End.
Comartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-07, 23:20   Link #1027
Tk3997
Loveable Jerk
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina
Age: 28
Send a message via ICQ to Tk3997 Send a message via AIM to Tk3997 Send a message via MSN to Tk3997
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Which is one of the things I like about it actually
I think it's one of the things 90+% of fans like about it...

Quote:
I wasn't really trying to shaft the guys here, it's just that females to tend to get more action than males in magical girl shows, no helping it.
Doesn't really make it logical anymore then how the Hero in like ever RPG is a teenage boy who all the girls want to hang with and all the guys want to be while and in ever FPS they're a burly cigar chomping badass...

Quote:
No arguments on what StrikerS brought to the Nanoha franchise, and what it turned the series into. For this argument though I was talking about the series as a whole including S1 and A's. I concede the point though.
S1 could be somewhat argued, but A's was already out of the genre IMO after all I mean what ultimately finally defeated the big bad of the season? It wasn't the power of love it was the power of a Wave Motion Gun to the face...


Quote:
Satisfying answer, since I myself believe in balance of both elements of the series. Though to me, the militarism is but a setting, and not the core of the storytelling aspect of Nanoha, which was my knee-jerk point that made me respond in the first place. The military aspect of the Nanohaverse is something all of us have to acknowledge, but that doesn't mean all your stories regarding the Nanohaverse has to have that. (Heck, alot of my own works don't feature the TSAB at all ). The Nanohaverse is a setting that allows both mahou shoujo fans and military nuts to coexist, and that's another thing I like about it, and why the OC thread has been so successful for the past year.
Eh could be a minor disagreement or even using different terms I tend to feel that anything that can’t really be taken out without drastically changing the work is a “core” story element. You can’t really take the military elements out of Nanoha and still end up with something like Nanoha hence to me I’d consider it a core element. At the same time you can’t get rid of magic or the idealism either so those are also core elements too. You can debate which ones are “more” important, but it becomes academic all of them are vital to making the work what it is so you need all of them in some form or another.

Also it's not even totally about the military Nanoha unlike most examples of it's type has a sort of populist approach to magic it's not horded and the sole domain of a couple of users given it not based on work or merit, but often by cosmic accident. Lots of people can use magic and it's an everyday thing and treated as such by most that know of it. (This is another aspect that nudges it much more toward more classic fantasy) However when something like this becomes widespread and mundane it starts to have mundane issues how do you control the users, what is is and isn't allowed, what kinds of laws govern magic? etc.

Nanoha has a sort of odd Fantastical Realism too it yeah sure some people can fly and shot energy beams, but they also still drive around in cars and go home and watch TV after they get off there shift in the local army... This applies even to likes of the Aces yeah they might be the heroes, but they aren't reincarnated princesses destined to rule the world or something. They're basiclly just people with a talent they've got ALLOT of talent, but there have been people as strong as them before and they'll be people as strong as them afterwards. The Aces and mages in general aren't superheroes or heroes out of some greek myth they're people with a talent, but still people and they still deal with problems people deal with annoying bosses, politics, work etc and they live if a world that's rather like our own with most of the same issues and problems. They just happen to be able to fly and shot fireballs...

Again this is really not your Daddys magic girl show...
__________________



Tk3997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-07, 23:27   Link #1028
PhoenixFlare
The Resurrector
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comartemis View Post
Ah, but what if the reason we don't see any high powered units is because they've all been disbanded by Regius and absorbed into the low-powered redshirt units? You'd have A-ranks and AA-ranks spread out across the entire force instead of concentrated into elite units, and a fairly even distribution of the B-ranks.

Remember, most of the mages in the ground forces are B-ranks or lower. A-ranks and higher will usually be found in the air force, something else that probably ticks Regius off. There will, of course, be exceptions like Ginga, Zest, and Subaru post-StrikerS, but for the most part all the really good mages are in either the Air Forces, the Navy, or the Enforcer units.
Ah, no. What I mean is, even if they were distributed across country, in StrikerS, we've not actually seen any Ground Force unit performing well enough to be credited for their given rank. The bread-and-butter of those forces are probably overshadowed by RF6's members, but if they participated good enough, we should see some praiseworthy (even if not impressive) action on their part. Mostly, Genya had been battling behind some fortifications and tanks, and nothing beyond that. If that's the Ground Force's "stellar performance", it'd be quite telling on the others. We can allow some leeway in saying that they did good jobs for their part, but probably because of screentime, and the focus of the anime isn't on them, we don't see any.

The ranks don't really tell a lot, but from what I gather, even Teana could cope with gadget drones at her B-level. If the masses of Ground Forces were B-ranked, gadgets shouldn't prove to be much of their opponents. I suppose they lack training in that department (anti-AMF), but you'd have to wonder why didn't they exchange information with RF6 for better performance. I think the credit goes to Regius (again) for this?
PhoenixFlare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-07, 23:33   Link #1029
Tormenk
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gaf's Room
Pretty much. Genya did note that the 108th battalion performed scores better than the rest of the GF against the drones and in anti-AMF combat after Nanoha and Vita spent some time with them.
__________________


"A life without change is akin to death."

"Wheel turns, river flows and life goes on."

"Best way to kill a man, is to leave him alone."

"Until you come, until we close our eyes."

Tormenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-08, 00:08   Link #1030
dkellis
illusion control
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Age: 32
Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralTigerclaw View Post
But what about a character obsessed WITH Lina Inverse???

Said little girl was introduced to the Slayers franchise through imports that have been coming to Mid-childa. She becomes so attatched to the Lina Inverse character that she starts training herself to Emulate her magic.
Reminds me of Champions, Corruptors, Killers, and Crooks, page 150:

Foxbat
Disadvantages:
25 Pyschological Limitation: Thinks He's Living In A Comic Book (Common, Total)
5 Rivalry: Professional (with whichever hero or villain he's currently obsessing over)
10 Reputation: lunatic supervillain

Best character ever in the Champions-verse tabletop roleplaying setting. He's a guy whose reaction, upon being told that he can't lie around and read comic books all day, is: "Ah-hah! My tragic origin story!" His primary weapon is a ping-pong ball gun which fires pretty dangerous (but non-lethal) rounds. He goes through delusions as often as others change clothes. He's completely crackers, and incredibly fun.

The Lina Inverse Fan strikes me as something like that. However, there's that warning for GMs in Foxbat's writeup that should probably be considered here: Foxbat's purpose (and by extension, probably the Lina Inverse Fan's) is for comic relief. That means he stays comic, and never falls into the Serious Realism pit. The Lina Inverse Fan may blast people with Fireballs, but hopefully nobody's actually going to get seriously hurt.
__________________
Damien Kellis (LJ)(anime blog)
The Genderswap Archive Of Haruhi Suzumiya
The Seitenkan FAQ of Haruhi Suzumiya
"That was actually quite thought-provoking. Does that violate the forum rules?"
dkellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-08, 00:56   Link #1031
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: In the Netherrealm, thinking who to betray next...
Spoiler for ???:
__________________
Evil Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-08, 01:38   Link #1032
Kha
~ I Do ~
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: In the XV-8A Spartan "00"
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixFlare View Post
Wait, was the HQ mentioned to be built in such a way? I don't recall a reference saying so, if there's one, please refresh my mind.
It isn't mentioned in canon, but was roughly based off dkellis' theory about the structure of space within Infinite Library. Now since space wants to stretch outwards (not sure if I'm right about that, based this off the universe always moving outwards from the Big Bang), this might just a highly energetic state and releasing the hold on the space would cause a disastrous outfold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixFlare View Post
I do think the Main HQ is such, but the Library seems pretty much accessible without much trouble. Given the infinite dimensions it is supposedly linked to, anyone from anywhere could get into it, and I don't think all dimensions apply the same standard procedure. But then, the Library seems to be annexed by the Bureau, mainly ...
Maybe infinite isn't the best methos of description, but it is big, probably 1% of an entire universe of space folded into a pseudo-singularity. Inside the place is immense, but outside its probably just 1 space station's of a cylinder.

1% of a universe I believe is huge when spread out, so once the seals that shape space into the form we see inside the Library is broken, space spreads and rip the HQ from within. And the collision of parallel dimensions is also said to produce a lot of energy (based on another theory of the Big Bang), and that would increase the destructive power of the defolding Library, maybe enough to wipe out the HQ, adjourning naval bases, command points and even the Astronomicon, rendering all other TSAB ships blind, having lost their reference point in the Fold? The death toll would be astronomical too, since the residential blocks of the HQ will be obliterated.

(And most of all, Yuuno will go missing for plot purposes. :3)

Though to be honest, I might just be milking this mental experiment for all its worth. My main aim is to throw all of TSAB into disarray, and this scenario has the highest potential for total collapse of command and control rendering all of known space easy pickings for the Brotherhood of Nod.
__________________
Kha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-08, 01:53   Link #1033
KBTKaiser
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 29
Spoiler for self-narration:


Man, how long has it been since I ran dry on inspiration... >>;
KBTKaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-08, 01:55   Link #1034
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Doing Anzu's paperwork.
Age: 28
Well, planning and stuff for Task Force Six, rough drafts and all.

Unit Name: Lost Property Investigation Task Force Six
CO: LTC Hayate Yagami
XO: Warrant Officer Griffith Lowran
Chief of Staff: Sergeant Major Reinforce Zwei

Order of Battle:
Stars Squad: (As Canon)
Lightning Squad: (As Canon)
Hammer Squad: 5-man detachment from the OFM's Assault Platoon, led by 2LT Franz Jaeger with SGT Leo Kozlov as 2IC.
Lance Flight: 5 mages from the OFM Air Wing, basically the entire Lance Flight.

While Stars and Lightning are the Day Shift, so to speak, Hammer and Lance are the nightshift, on nighttime standby and deploying as needed to back up the Forwards.

Investigation Section:
Head: Fate T. Harloawn
Analyst: 1LT Mikhail Dornitz. An intel specialist from the OFM's Intel element, Mikhail is a targeter: he finds targets, builds intel on them, and delivers his analysis to those in the field. He's gonna help Fate more on the investigation side, since he was a cop before joining the OFM.

Felix: Not sure yet. TK can give suggestions that will be listened to.

In a way this is a somewhat less grand rebuilt project. It's also my attempt to do a middle of the road approach, balancing things and all.... and also add in some conflicts and stuff: one of the things that annoy the main GF staff is that the Hammer Squad boys all wear their woodland camo fatigues, and not their TSAB Browns. But this is for the future.

Time to nap for 15 minits and then get off to work.

Franz will also have a hand in mentoring Teana's combat style; in one scene I've written, he and Nanoha have a strong closed doors professional disagreement about how to train Teana, and he points out to Nanoha that she's the Ace of Aces of aerial mages... while Teana is a Ground mage, and Franz has been a ground mage for 18 years, learning his trade of urban warfare in a hard school called Farbanti Operations Zone Alpha.
__________________
~Speaking my mind, even when it costs me~
One must forgive one's enemies, but not before they are hanged.Heinrich Heine.

I believe in miracles.


Last edited by Wild Goose; 2008-06-08 at 02:44.
Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-08, 02:42   Link #1035
Kha
~ I Do ~
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: In the XV-8A Spartan "00"
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBTKaiser View Post
Spoiler for self-narration:


Man, how long has it been since I ran dry on inspiration... >>;
It's alive! ALIVE!!!

Welcome back KBT!
__________________
Kha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-08, 02:57   Link #1036
LoweGear
Device Meister
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: 3 times the passion of the usual flamenco
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBTKaiser View Post
Spoiler for self-narration:


Man, how long has it been since I ran dry on inspiration... >>;


Yo, You're Back!

Welcome back to the madness of OCT
__________________

On Simple Solutions: "I bought the airline. It seemed neater."
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-08, 04:06   Link #1037
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comartemis View Post
Here's a quick thought that's been bothering me for a while:

There's all this talk about the balance of power and not putting too many powerful mages in one place...

...but what's this then?

Spoiler for IS: Silver Retriever:

Leti simply lets them continue working together, not just living as Hayate indicates, but acting to support each other in similar roles. And she doesn't make any indication that this is a big deal or that she had to go through a lot of trouble for this to work.

What's the deal? How are Hayate and the Wolkenritter sticking together like this if the bureau is so opposed to concentration of power? I'm not disputing that they are, it just seems odd to me that they would make an exception like this, particularly under these circumstances and for these particular mages.
*Whacks Comar over the head* That's my IS dammit!

Anyway, I think this is not an issue of political pushing, but more a an issue of levels.

Let's analyze the numbers: Putting the Wolkenritter together you have:

1 S-rank (Signum)
3 AAA-ranks (Vita, Zafira, hayate(?))
1 AA-rank (Shamal)

Hayate is a wild card, since we never knew her rank prior to StrikerS, but I doubt she was a SS right of the bat, so I'm tempted to label her AAA like her fellow Aces.

In this case you have only one S-rank, three AAA-ranks and one AA rank. Sure, that's a lot of power, but lets compare that to RF6 shall we?

1 SS-rank (Hayate)
3 S-ranks (Nanoha, Signum, Fate)
2 AAA-ranks (Vita, Zafira)
1 AA-rank (Shamal)
1 A-rank (Reinforce)
4 B-ranks (Subaru, Teana, Erio, Vice)
1 C-rank (Caro)

I think RF6 wasn't just so much 'a lot of firepower in one unit' but more 'too much firepower in one unit' RF6 has four over-S-ranked mages in their unit, the Wolkenritter only one, two as soon as Hayate starts leveling. And this was only during their founding, at the end of StrikerS we can tally 3 more AA ranks to the team and one more A rank.

RF6 was simply a case of 'there is no way we can get away with this'

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixFlare View Post
Actually, the thing about the Bureau wanting the power to be separated is probably a policy agreed only by a certain portion of the entire hierarchy. As I recall, Chrono was forced to follow the limiter policy because Regius was actively being the thorn on their side. To minimize friction, he agreed to place the limiter. The same may have occurred for the power concentration. The Navy usually requires higher-leveled personnel for their work, so there's no actual balance, so to speak.
Hmm, I don't recall Regius being involved in that. In fact, I don't think he learned of the details of RF6's existence untill after Hayate stepped in action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixFlare View Post
@Keroko: I have to ask you a very important question - how has Tesla's cooking improved after StrikerS? There's a scene I am planning to write in Chapter 9 about her cooking (to a secret person, no less~ ). And if you are sticking your plans to Kerokanon, would Tesla really be Griffith's partner?
Well, her cooking has improved (though she's still quite clumsy at it) since Hayate forces her to help from time to time, much to Tesla's dismay, as she's not really fond of cooking.

Tesla doesn't work as Griffith's partner though, since Griffith went to work at the Interstellar Navigation Bureau. She does keep in contact though, and every time she needs to get somewhere, it's Griffith she calls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
Well, planning and stuff for Task Force Six, rough drafts and all.

Unit Name: Lost Property Investigation Task Force Six
CO: LTC Hayate Yagami
XO: Warrant Officer Griffith Lowran
Chief of Staff: Sergeant Major Reinforce Zwei

Order of Battle:
Stars Squad: (As Canon)
Lightning Squad: (As Canon)
Hammer Squad: 5-man detachment from the OFM's Assault Platoon, led by 2LT Franz Jaeger with SGT Leo Kozlov as 2IC.
Lance Flight: 5 mages from the OFM Air Wing, basically the entire Lance Flight.

While Stars and Lightning are the Day Shift, so to speak, Hammer and Lance are the nightshift, on nighttime standby and deploying as needed to back up the Forwards.

Investigation Section:
Head: Fate T. Harloawn
Analyst: 1LT Mikhail Dornitz. An intel specialist from the OFM's Intel element, Mikhail is a targeter: he finds targets, builds intel on them, and delivers his analysis to those in the field. He's gonna help Fate more on the investigation side, since he was a cop before joining the OFM.

Felix: Not sure yet. TK can give suggestions that will be listened to.

In a way this is a somewhat less grand rebuilt project. It's also my attempt to do a middle of the road approach, balancing things and all.... and also add in some conflicts and stuff: one of the things that annoy the main GF staff is that the Hammer Squad boys all wear their woodland camo fatigues, and not their TSAB Browns. But this is for the future.

Time to nap for 15 minits and then get off to work.

Franz will also have a hand in mentoring Teana's combat style; in one scene I've written, he and Nanoha have a strong closed doors professional disagreement about how to train Teana, and he points out to Nanoha that she's the Ace of Aces of aerial mages... while Teana is a Ground mage, and Franz has been a ground mage for 18 years, learning his trade of urban warfare in a hard school called Farbanti Operations Zone Alpha.
Everybody is piling on Hayate's unit continuing, aren't they?

oh well, curious to see as to how this one works out.
__________________

Last edited by Keroko; 2008-06-08 at 04:25.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-08, 04:28   Link #1038
NorthernFallout
Return
*Author
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Frosty Scandinavia
Age: 25
Time for a new Oc to be presented (or OC army). As part of my new fic "Fate of the Reapers" (FotR) I had to create a new race and here I have their profile.

If you find anything that goes against anything, is forbidden or what not, tell me how to fix it, change it, or if I should delete it.

Spoiler for Profile:
__________________

Steam: ax/apocnuke | LET'S ROCK

Last edited by NorthernFallout; 2008-06-08 at 05:16. Reason: Removed small note
NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-08, 04:37   Link #1039
Kha
~ I Do ~
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: In the XV-8A Spartan "00"
Age: 28
It's not ET, it's not even Scrin! ZOMG it's the Borgs! Somebody call Captain Kirk!

*RUUUNZ*



EDIT: I just had Khrack about mashing the Spawn, and the Reapers together to form an even scarier race, Tyrannid.

*watches Str 8 Montrous Creature take to the streets*

*RUUUUUUUUNZ FASTER*
Kha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-08, 05:07   Link #1040
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Age: 26
Actually, I'm getting Mass Effect vibes from these guys. It's probably just the name though.

Besides, these reapers destroy and plunder. Borg assimilate and conquer.

And seriously, Kirk against the borg? When facing the borg you need Janeway, the only captain who constantly outsmarted and even exploited the Borg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilya View Post
Time for a new Oc to be presented (or OC army). As part of my new fic "Fate of the Reapers" (FotR) I had to create a new race and here I have their profile.

If you find anything that goes against anything, is forbidden or what not, tell me how to fix it, change it, or if I should delete it.

Spoiler for Profile:
One thing though: Why aren't they cyborgs? I mean, you describe them as not being cyborgs 'because they have a brain and inner organs' but doesn't that make them cyborgs? Cyborgs are a mixture of organics and machines, after all. Heck, even the numbers and Ginga and Subaru have inner organs (concidering they eat, drink and can have children).

You're probably confusing the term with androids. Androids are fully mechanical.
__________________
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
hayaurion, kaonland, keroland, khrack, original content

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:58.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.